Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2023 10:01:49 PM EDT
Now, I’m not a professional taster / reviewer, nor am I experienced in the thousands of available Bourbons, but, the hype on this stuff is real.
Pure Bourbon Heaven. Drinks below its (133) proof and is as finely balanced as any I’ve ever had. Caramel and vanilla extract, stewed Maraschino cherries, deep brown sugar and spices and LONG finish. Is it the best Bourbon of 2023 …?

For an authentic, unfinished American Bourbon - it may very well be. Especially at its $80 price point. Highly recommend you pick it up if you are able to.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Been checking the local State Liquor store for the past 3 weeks. Nothing yet, just a dozen bottles of B523 (at $75) that haven't sold for the last month or so. Hopefully they are not holding back the C923 until the last batch sells out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 8:57:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nerdish] [#3]
It's delicious. B523 was good, and I've had some great EJ barrel proof private picks. The C923 is the best EJ barrel proof that I've had. I like it more than my EJ 18yr as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I heard that allocations in Nebraska were cut 50% on the C-batch.
Fortunately I was in the right place at the right time and the young man let me buy several bottles.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Its good, don't get me wrong. Bourbon of the year is a huge stretch though. I definitely drinks "under it's proof" and I think that's what makes people like it so much.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I like it, but it’s not the best.  I think c922 was just as good, and a119 and many of the pirate bottle offerings are much better.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been looking for a few weeks now....
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Last Friday the Pennsylvania Fine Wine and Good Spirits website had about 15-20 bottles of "Elijah Craig Single Barrel Barrel Proof" available so I ordered two thinking they must be C923, why would they be earlier bottles?

The bottles arrived earlier this week, sure enough they were B523.  Not too bad, but I would have preferred the C923 that people are raving about.  It is kind of weird that the PA spirits store keeps them stashed until the next bottling becomes available.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 2:59:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#10]
Been sipping from a bottle of this about 2-weeks now. It’s opening up beautifully and getting an even more “fruit” note. Maybe a bit sweeter too.
An exceptional bourbon.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mad_mardigan:
I've been looking for a few weeks now....
View Quote

Bourbon “hunters” and flippers are going hard after c923, unfortunately. These artificial shortages are getting tiresome.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Rocco123:

Bourbon “hunters” and flippers are going hard after c923, unfortunately. These artificial shortages are getting tiresome.
View Quote

Tiresome for sure.

This C923 is the first thing I've been after for the past couple years and now I remember why I stopped looking for anything.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#13]
What is the difference between this and a store pick barrel proof?
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 9:24:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#14]
Originally Posted By bigborehound:
View Quote

A store pick is a single barrel product with a specific age chosen by tasting a few different barrels.
This is a small batch blend with varying aged bourbons with the youngest being (in this case) 13-years 7-months. And blended by the Companies experts.
It’s rumored that there are 15-year and 17-year old bourbons in this blend.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 2:26:45 AM EDT
[#15]
We just had a pallet of this hit our local Costco. Once word got out, it was gone within hours.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By bigborehound:
View Quote

Someone answered above, but also the single barrel bps are not nearly as good as the A/B/C yearly releases.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Finally found a couple. It's very good, definitely the best release since C920. It tastes very old, in a good way. I get alot of notes that remind me of the Rhetoric 23 I had. I'm hoping to find another to stash.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Rocco123:

Someone answered above, but also the single barrel bps are not nearly as good as the A/B/C yearly releases.
View Quote

I had one at a friend's house that was excellent so I bought one a few months later that was a different store pick and was completely underwhelmed by it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 1:31:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mad_mardigan:

I had one at a friend's house that was excellent so I bought one a few months later that was a different store pick and was completely underwhelmed by it.
View Quote

Most of the ec sibbs have been underwhelming, for sure.  Even the one we picked 2 years ago would have been far better at the 94 proof offering. It’s even more humorous that the single barrels were more expensive than the batch offerings.

The bourbon market will be utterly flooded with quality aged bourbon within 2-3 years, and at a much lower cost.  Heaven Hill specifically threads the needle with age, flavor and cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top