Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Engineers (Page 1 of 3)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 5/7/2024 12:35:46 AM EDT
Looking back, which of the fundamental courses was the most important to your career?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Not in my full time career yet, but I view the statics/dynamics/mechanics of materials classes as the ones I’ve found most applicable to the jobs I work part time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:38:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prezboi44] [#2]
Fundamentals of outsourcing?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#3]
You can describe a machine, hydraulic system, electrical circuit, etc. with a bond graph and abstract the system, but you have to be able to do the math that governs the abstracted system.  So obviously the math is the most important.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:41:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: uncle_big_green] [#4]

Prerequisite math, physics and chemistry (in that order).  It's not that I do any difficult problems often. It's more like a reality check.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:43:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#5]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
Not in my full time career yet, but I view the statics/dynamics/mechanics of materials classes as the ones I’ve found most applicable to the jobs I work part time.
View Quote

I voted this as well.  Structural mechanics is not my job anymore, but having a strong background has kept me in the loop on all sorts of projects.

Thermo was my next choice.  Which is kind of sad.  I slept through it and got a C. Now I have to relearn it to be relevant in the nuclear industry.  The whole industry is about safely moving heat/mass out of fuel.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I had two classes in “Machine Design” that were probably the best for my current career.  Also some machining and welding classes.

I’m behind a few of my colleagues in the purely math and abstract theory, but I can design stuff that actually goes together.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
I ended up taking a different path but i took almost all of those courses and i hated linear algebra the most.

Diff eq and multivariable calculus is easy compared to it.
View Quote

I just finished my linear algebra class this semester and your conclusions mirror my own.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:49:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I am happy to see someone voted for Circuits.  I did not take it but wish I had.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:49:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PlaysWithAtoms:

I voted this as well.  Structural mechanics is not my job anymore, but having a strong background has kept me in the loop on all sorts of projects.

Thermo was my next choice.  Which is kind of sad.  I slept through it and got a C. Now I have to relearn it to be relevant in the nuclear industry.  The whole industry is about safely moving heat/mass out of fuel.
View Quote

I’m taking thermo this next semester, I’m somewhat looking forward to it, but also not. It’s a weird feeling.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:53:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Physics covers introduction to most all you listed as such provides basic understanding of many engineering disciplines.  This allows participation or understanding of many things outside of one's professional field which in turn provides ability to participate or manage in lots of areas.  

However, mathematics is the key to understanding the physics thus the basics of all engineering.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:58:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 86Tiger:

Physics covers introduction to most all you listed as such provides basic understanding of many engineering disciplines.  This allows participation or understanding of many things outside of one's professional field which in turn provides ability to participate or manage in lots of areas.  

However, mathematics is the key to understanding the physics thus the basics of all engineering.
View Quote

Language is necessary to learn math.  So.... English is the key  course
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:59:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Calculus
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:00:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Also. Linear algebra should have been paired with circuits not calculus.
View Quote

It's offered separately at my alma mater.  Frequently taken by Structural guys that never took circuits.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:01:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: c7aea15] [#16]
Math is good and all but I never solved a differential equation outside of school. I always figured they made us take classes like that to teach us how to learn difficult things more than anything.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:01:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Math leads the way in my opinion.  You will fail at most engineering things if you suck at the maths.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:02:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Close call between the 1st, 3rd, and 4th options...

But voted thermo.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Math leads the way in my opinion.  You will fail at most engineering things if you suck at the maths.
View Quote

I was a terrible math student and did fine
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:08:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I am surprised and disappointed someone hasn't bitched about how dumb engineers are yet.  ARF is falling apart.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:08:40 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

I can get behind this. Speaking of I need to brush up on my calculus for thermo in the fall.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:09:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I am surprised and disappointed someone hasn't bitched about how dumb engineers are yet.  ARF is falling apart.
View Quote

Automotive engineers are the worst and I will stand by this statement till the day I die.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:15:45 AM EDT
[#23]
CAD, making 3d models and drawing were the most important. Solidworks and autodesk are the most important.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:17:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Language is necessary to learn math.  So.... English is the key  course
View Quote

Math is the same in any language be it Greek, Latin or English.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:18:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Automotive engineers are the worst and I will stand by this statement till the day I die.
View Quote

That's more like it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:22:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Math is the same in any language be it Greek, Latin or English.....
View Quote

Enjoy getting an engineering job if you don't speak English
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:25:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Enjoy getting an engineering job if you don't speak English
View Quote
I hear Boeing is hiring.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:26:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I was expecting a thread shitting on engineers. I am dissapoint.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
I was expecting a thread shitting on engineers. I am dissapoint.
View Quote

Lazy ass engineers coming up with the dumbest shit.  I break stuff to keep em busy while I solve the real problems.  Desk jockey wannabee mechanics NEVER USED A MILLING MACHINE always taking my K cups They Don't Teach Common Sense To These Dumbasses.

There.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:34:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sd_norske] [#30]
CAD
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:43:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Lazy ass engineers coming up with the dumbest shit.  I break stuff to keep em busy while I solve the real problems.  Desk jockey wannabee mechanics NEVER USED A MILLING MACHINE always taking my K cups They Don't Teach Common Sense To These Dumbasses.

There.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:43:18 AM EDT
[#32]
In my career fluid mechanics, especially flow of fluids in porous media.  

For fun engineering mechanics, statics and dynamics.  These courses in Physics and then in Engineering opened an understanding of the world and how it works for me.

Physics, Chemistry and Engineering let me know there is the reality, as compared to the fantasy found in other courses needed for my degrees.  Well, required but not actually needed, the fantasy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:43:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I ended up taking a different path but i took almost all of those courses and i hated linear algebra the most.

Diff eq and multivariable calculus is easy compared to it.
View Quote

Yes indeed!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:49:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By MikeSSS:
In my career fluid mechanics, especially flow of fluids in porous media.  

For fun engineering mechanics, statics and dynamics.  These courses in Physics and then in Engineering opened an understanding of the world and how it works for me.

Physics, Chemistry and Engineering let me know there is the reality, as compared to the fantasy found in other courses needed for my degrees.  Well, required but not actually needed, the fantasy.
View Quote

Statics was pivotal in my undergrad trajectory.  Physics and Calc were just theory without purpose, until I found the applications in Statics.

I wish I could go back and redo my first 2 years.  So much opportunity wasted by my overeagerness to get a job.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:19:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:32:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Wish I knew.   EE to R&D in metallurgy.  From there to reactor operations.  Have never really worked in my field.  That said. Math. The basis for all else.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:40:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:
Calculus
View Quote

Unfortunately this is the truth despite how much I hated calculus.

As far as engineering classes, I would vote thermodynamics / fluid dynamics, but those classes were simply my favorites, and applicable to my field, but not particularly useful to the majority of engineers
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:45:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kharn] [#38]
It depends on your discipline.
But I look for diff eq and thermo grades first. Not enough candidates take linear algebra.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:46:34 AM EDT
[#39]
EE, and I'm going with "Programming".  
If you can teach a computer how to do things, the rest of it is easy.

Some days though, statics/dynamics.  "Can't push a rope."
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:50:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By c7aea15:
Math is good and all but I never solved a differential equation outside of school. I always figured they made us take classes like that to teach us how to learn difficult things more than anything.
View Quote

My wife sees impossible problems, decides she can solve them if she transfers them to her imagination, transfers the solution back to the real world, and tells me to make it work.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:09:16 AM EDT
[#41]
you may want to skip directly to Overengineering.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:20:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Calculus 1.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:38:27 AM EDT
[#43]
If it wasn't structural analysis, it was geometry, or maybe algebra
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:44:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By June:
CAD, making 3d models and drawing were the most important. Solidworks and autodesk are the most important.
View Quote

More basic than that; ability to hand draw/draft/sketch.

If you can't get your ideas and solutions down on paper in a manner that can be vetted by others and understood by those who actually execute the work, the ideas and all your work are worthless.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:55:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#45]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By brass:
Calc to Linear Algebra fit all of the fields for other categories to help understand the concepts of curl and divergence whether it's electronic circuits or fluid dynamics or magnetism - Understanding linear algebra in any of those sub fields gives a sudden and solid understanding of the others when working with more than one field.

Second to that is stats/statistics, which is not listed.   It's very important when dealing with quantum chemistry and quantum mechanics in general .  Also needed to verify and document experimental results to make sure something seen isn't just a one off fluke and so repeated experiments looking for a high statistical benefit/change compared to control groups when publishing papers.

With those two really grasped and understood, rather than studied enough for the tests and then forgotten, the rest of the Engineering fields are not "easy" but the concepts between them is similar, sort of like Hydraulic analogs of electric circuits which can also be replicated with mechanical contraptions so as long as the analogue of the idea is known, such as a dashpot and inductor, things make sense and it's possible to communicate with other engineers outside your speciality.

The hardest part these days is the specialization.  Everything is super specialized, it used to be like "EE  or ME" and now there's a dozen specializations you focus on prior to graduation, such as CPU design vs Power Line, or RF for EE and materials vs mechanisms in ME.  These usually are sort of senior year picks but are more commonly in the Masters and Doctorate programs to really stand above the rest of the pool of job applicants.

Learning how to learn is the most important bit, in addition to solid foundation in all the math skills.   Stuff that is in 2nd year EE wasn't anything more than a theoretical possibility when I went through, so you need to continually read and keep up and not let your information go stale.  Lifespan of EE state of the art is about 2 years and ME is a bit longer with Civil Engineering having knowledge go bad the slowest.  All of them need people to never stop learning to actually get ahead and continue to dominate instead of bright flash at 24 and burnt out and faded away when they turn 30.

View Quote

This. Particularly the last paragraph.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:12:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Green_Canoe] [#47]
3rd grade recess where I learned to play well with others and not punch a dumbass in the face for being so stupid.

I voted statics, etc. for my work life and I'd vote circuits as a second at work and primary in my hobbies.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:30:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PKT1106] [#48]
Human Factors and Ergonomics. It was a actually a psychology course, not even in the engineering building. Learned more about how to design for human error in one quarter than in 4 years of engineering classes with equations. Needed one more elective for graduation and found it in the course catalogue.

Everything is perfect on paper.

As a project manager, I rarely used my book-learned schooling.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Depends on your field.  Electrical engineers got no use for statics and dynamics,  

I work as an automation/mfg engineer.  More psychologically and interrogative classes might be handy.  Often I got some equipment acting up and if I don’t see it in the act I have to interview the witnesses.  

What did it do?  What were you doing? What changed? Did the screen give a warning message?, etc.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#50]

I’m taking thermo this next semester, I’m somewhat looking forward to it, but also not. It’s a weird feeling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thermo and heat transfer are fundamental in everything that makes the world work. Statics/Dynamics are at the same level of importance in my opinion.

Linear Algebra/Controls/DE can fuck right off. Almost nobody uses that shit in real life outside of academia and some niche research roles.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Engineers (Page 1 of 3)
Top Top