Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/27/2024 2:55:36 PM EDT
Its not exactly easy to find ESS puppies around me. I stumbled on a friend's cousin that has 5 7 week old females ready to adopt. They did not dock tails or remove the dew claw. In the past when I have gotten and ESS it was already done so I did not pay much attention to it though that is the "classic" look.

I don't hunt anymore and just want a family friendly dog. I lost mine last month and it may be too soon but my wife is all about having a dog for security and her mental state so it may be sooner than I expected.

Those that are into these dogs, how big of a deal is it to you to have this done when you get your dog? Would you do it later in life, like when spayed? (I won't). Would you want an ESS that isn't done?

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a boxer who didn't get his dew claws or tail docked.  No problems except maybe trimming the dew claw every once in a while.  Although getting hit by his tail is like being hit with a souvenir baseball bat with fur on it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a fan of both. My coon dog had a nasty dew claw injury after hunting one night, took forever to heal and it just kind of hung out sideways after that.

The docked tail thing is just convenience. No clearing the whole coffee table when they get excited while standing next to it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I mutilating kids is OK, then mutilating dogs is just fine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:01:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BombCrater] [#4]
The dew claw I get - those get snagged on everything and are a painful bloody mess when it happens.  I have never heard a good reason to keep them.  We have them removed from our dogs that have them when they get neutered or a teeth cleaning.

Unless there is a reason to dock the tail (and I don't consider 'Breed Standard" as a reason) why do it?   That just seems cruel in general unless they are working dogs that might get trampled and injured if they have a tail.  I would never dock a tail on any breed that I got as a pet.  (My Aussie is tail-less but I adopted him after someone else had him)

Besides - at least Aussies have fur on their butts, if you dock a short-haired dog you have to stare at its asshole its whole life!

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DoctorCAD:
View Quote

I don’t make the rules cowboy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Tail, no

Dewclaws, yes
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BombCrater:
The dew claw I get - those get snagged on everything and are a painful bloody mess when it happens.  I have never heard a good reason to keep them.  We have them removed from our dogs that have them when they get neutered or a teeth cleaning.

Unless there is a reason to dock the tail (and I don't consider 'Breed Standard" as a reason) why do it?   That just seems cruel in general unless they are working dogs that might get trampled and injured if they have a tail.  I would never dock a tail on any breed that I got as a pet.  (My Aussie is tail-less but I adopted him after someone else had him)

Besides - at least Aussies have fur on their butts, if you dock a short-haired dog you have to stare at its asshole its whole life!

View Quote

My lab needs his tail to swim.....but damn it would be nice if it was docked. He wags the thing bloody regularly, and generally causes chaos and destruction with it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I’d go to a responsible breeder whose goal is to preserve and promote the breed and the breed standard. I would prefer that the tail was docked, but I wouldn’t insist on it. I don’t prefer dewclaws removed.

I’d be far more concerned with things like health and temperament testing and conformation titles. Geographical proximity is the least important thing to me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Why do you consider it to be cruel?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I met a springer without a docked tail and it was different, but very beautiful. I think I’d prefer not to dock the tail after seeing that one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#11]
We just got a new puppy.  Did not want the tail docked, did have the dew claws removed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Naamah:
I’d go to a responsible breeder whose goal is to preserve and promote the breed and the breed standard. I would prefer that the tail was docked, but I wouldn’t insist on it. I don’t prefer dewclaws removed.

I’d be far more concerned with things like health and temperament testing and conformation titles. Geographical proximity is the least important thing to me.
View Quote

This may be how we go. I plan to go see the dogs tomorrow anyway. Just because it's Sunday and I am sick of wrenching on my car.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:12:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Windustsearch] [#13]
After having had these dogs a couple times over the years both for hunting and not, I would not have any of that done.   Keep the claw trimmed up, they need somewhat scheduled grooming maintenance anyway.

We usually picked a half show, half hunting line.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Kristi Noem would know how to handle this.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd have the vet removed both. IMHO
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yea, I had my boxers tail removed at around 4 months.. he looks better and doesn't miss it. Not to mention that tail was bonie AF
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#17]
57 weeks old is kinda old to do this.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By delemorte:

Yea, I had my boxers tail removed at around 4 months.. he looks better and doesn't miss it. Not to mention that tail was bonie AF
View All Quotes

I've had 4 boxers and only the previously mentioned one has a tail.  I have no idea how he hasn't broken it yet.  It's probably beneficial to the dog to have it removed very early so it doesn't get broken later.   I got him when he was 9 months and didn't want to have it done at that age.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Eh, we used to dock tails with a hammer, chisel, and a piece of wood. People raised by farming Dad's don't give a shit about peoples ''muh fur baby'' feelings. They cried for 30 seconds and that was about it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I have two Vizslas.

Both of them have docked tails.  I prefer that.  When bird dogs hunt hard, the ends of their tails will get all bloody and irritated, and they'll draw flies and other pests when they are injured.  I also prefer the look of a Vizsla with a docked tail.

When I got my younger dog about three years ago, the breeder had changed his mind about removing dew claws.  He gave me an article that stated the removal of dew claws overworks the other tendons in the foot, and this can lead to foot problems in active dogs.  Vizslas tend toward foot problems anyway, so I have not issue with keeping the dew claws.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#21]
English Springers in the USA are supposed to be docked.  In England, no. But since it’s just a family dog, I don’t think it matters. Ours was docked at or near birth.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Opie says look at mah balls!

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

I thought tail docking is best done in the first few days (hours?) after birth.  

We have weims. Dew claws removed, tails docked.  We had a longhair weim, they don't dock LH weim tails.  Brushing the burrs out of that tail after a day in the field was a real pita - especially if I forgot to spray him down with Cowboy Magic before we went out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

A circumcision and docked tail thread, this should be good.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#25]
If not done when they were little puppies the only option if tou want done is to do it when at least 4 to 6 months old or when spayed/neutered. The dew claws is not a bad procedure in terms of discomfort or "severity" but tail amputation on a adult dog is a bit of a different matter. There is no medical indication for amputation of the tail. It's 100% cosmetic. I would not so it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

If there is no 'real' purpose to remove the tail that helps the dog, it is a stupid image-based decision so the dog adheres to some 'breed' standard. "Your Aussie has a tail! MY Aussie's tail is docked so IT is better and therefore I am better."  Just human stupidity and nothing else.

I have a friend that lost a finger in an accident and he says the stump is always in pain and it has just gotten worse as he has gotten older.  How do we know that cutting a dogs tail off doesn't cause the same issue?  My guess is that it does.

I guess I should ask you what you think of young girls clitoris's being removed to fit a cultural standard.   The men in those countries would ask the same question as you: "Why do you consider it to be cruel?"

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#27]

If there is no 'real' purpose to remove the tail that helps the dog, it is a stupid image-based decision so the dog adheres to some 'breed' standard. "Your Aussie has a tail! MY Aussie's tail is docked so IT is better and therefore I am better."  Just human stupidity and nothing else.

I have a friend that lost a finger in an accident and he says the stump is always in pain and it has just gotten worse as he has gotten older.  How do we know that cutting a dogs tail off doesn't cause the same issue?  My guess is that it does.

I guess I should ask you what you think of young girls clitoris's being removed to fit a cultural standard.   The men in those countries would ask the same question as you: "Why do you consider it to be cruel?"

View Quote

I agree 100% bro.

Sadly though there are those out there that think engineering or modifying dogs to fit a certain look is more important than the dogs being healthy.

Breed standard people are also responsible for all the hip problems, breathing problems caused by smashed flat faces, and a myriad of other serious issues caused by their fascination with canine eugenics.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Both my Springers have their complete tails and they get along just fine.  

The one dog I had with dew claws ripped them a couple times and then I finally had them renewed.

So I'd vote no on docking tails and yes on dewclaw removal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
It's an unnecessary surgery, plain and simple.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Mike_314:
Both my Springers have their complete tails and they get along just fine.  

The one dog I had with dew claws ripped them a couple times and then I finally had them renewed.

So I'd vote no on docking tails and yes on dewclaw removal.
View Quote

Was hoping you'd pop up in here
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Was your friend a newborn when he lost his finger?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
View All Quotes

So is getting them fixed, but plenty of people advocate for that.

It's more appropriate to compare them to livestock than people. You breed for certain traits and you do what you can for the other desired traits.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Your guess is uninformed.

If it is done within the first few days, the nerves in the tail aren’t fully myelinated, meaning that it isn’t felt. If it is done after that, it is felt and can cause phantom limb pain, as felt by your friend who lost a finger.

And as to your comparison to FGM, humans gestate longer and our nerves are fully myelinated when we are born. It is completely felt. Apples to oranges isn’t an adequate comparison.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes

So is surgical sterilization, but no one bats an eye at that in this country.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:

You do in your own home, chief
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By zephyr:

I agree 100% bro.

Sadly though there are those out there that think engineering or modifying dogs to fit a certain look is more important than the dogs being healthy.

Breed standard people are also responsible for all the hip problems, breathing problems caused by smashed flat faces, and a myriad of other serious issues caused by their fascination with canine eugenics.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zephyr:

I agree 100% bro.

Believe it or not, not all dogs are around just to be house pets.  Generally speaking, there are reasons tails are docked, dew claws are cut off, or even ears are cut.

Cattle dogs would get their tails docked because cattle tend to step on their tails and break them, creating health issues for the dogs.

Dogs who might end up getting in fights protecting people or animals often had their ears cut smaller to keep them from getting ripped up in fights.

It's interesting how far people have gotten from the reality of working with animals.  It's like Disney is where the majority of people develop their "feelings" about animals.  I absolutely love my dogs, and they're spoiled rotten.  But there are reasons for why dogs have certain things done to them.

Do ya'll think dogs get castrated because people are selfish and don't like looking at their balls?

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

It's more appropriate to compare them to livestock than people. You breed for certain traits and you do what you can for the other desired traits.
View Quote
The hordes not getting their pets fixed has led to huge problems which would be far worse if the rest didn't.  Bobbing tails is unnecessary surgery.

The two are nothing alike.  You can compare them to livestock if you want, bobbing does nothing for a breed besides provide a look, and OP is looking for a house pet, not a horse.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:48:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delemorte] [#38]
Originally Posted By johnh57:

We have weims. Dew claws removed, tails docked.  We had a longhair weim, they don't dock LH weim tails.  Brushing the burrs out of that tail after a day in the field was a real pita - especially if I forgot to spray him down with Cowboy Magic before we went out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By johnh57:

Very much so. At that age it was a surgical procedure vs awake. We were having him fixed at the time so he was going under any way so did as much as we could.

He came home and didn't ever miss it

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This is him now 12 years later.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#39]
The hordes not getting their pets fixed has led to huge problems which would be far worse if the rest didn't.  Bobbing tails is unnecessary surgery.

The two are nothing alike.  You can compare them to livestock if you want, bobbing does nothing for a breed besides provide a look, and OP is looking for a house pet, not a horse.
View Quote

It’s all unnecessary surgery for convenience. Plenty of countries that outlaw docking also outlaw routine surgical sterilization. The reality is that the “benefit” to routine surgical sterilization is a societal one rather than a medical benefit to the specific animal in question. Meaning that it is no more beneficial to the animal than surgical docking/cropping, and statistically more dangerous. If you’re in favor of routine sterilization, you have no grounds to stand on with regards to opposing routine docking/cropping, as surgical sterilization is far more hazardous to the animal than docking and cropping.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By williare:
Believe it or not, not all dogs are around just to be house pets.  Generally speaking, there are reasons tails are docked, dew claws are cut off, or even ears are cut.

Cattle dogs would get their tails docked because cattle tend to step on their tails and break them, creating health issues for the dogs.

Dogs who might end up getting in fights protecting people or animals often had their ears cut smaller to keep them from getting ripped up in fights.

It's interesting how far people have gotten from the reality of working with animals.  It's like Disney is where the majority of people develop their "feelings" about animals.  I absolutely love my dogs, and they're spoiled rotten.  But there are reasons for why dogs have certain things done to them.

Do ya'll think dogs get castrated because people are selfish and don't like looking at their balls?

View Quote

OP is looking for a family friendly dog, not a cattle dog or fighter. None of your points apply.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#41]

It's all unnecessary surgery for convenience. Plenty of countries that outlaw docking also outlaw routine surgical sterilization. The reality is that the "benefit" to routine surgical sterilization is a societal one rather than a medical benefit to the specific animal in question. Meaning that it is no more beneficial to the animal than surgical docking/cropping, and statistically more dangerous. If you're in favor of routine sterilization, you have no grounds to stand on with regards to opposing routine docking/cropping, as surgical sterilization is far more hazardous to the animal than docking and cropping.
View Quote
Some of you are tedious as hell.  Sterilization benefits us, the species, and the breed.  That is not merely "convenience."  Trying to argue that obvious fact away to make some other nonsensical comparison to defend a procedure that has none of those benefits or any other to a hunting dog is beyond ridiculous.  

The vast majority of bird hunting dogs are hunting and have been hunting with full tails without any problems, been that way for centuries.

And again, OP is looking for a house pet.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:19:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#42]
Do not do it to older dogs.  We did it to a Schnauzer when I was a kid and it fucked the dog’s attitude towards people for life.

Breed specific alterations should be done before the dog develops too far mentally.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Some of you are tedious as hell.  Sterilization benefits us, the species, and the breed.  That is not merely "convenience."  Trying to argue that obvious fact away to make some other nonsensical comparison to defend a procedure that has none of those benefits or any other to a hunting dog is beyond ridiculous.  

The vast majority of bird hunting dogs are hunting and have been hunting with full tails without any problems, been that way for centuries.

View All Quotes

It's all unnecessary surgery for convenience. Plenty of countries that outlaw docking also outlaw routine surgical sterilization. The reality is that the "benefit" to routine surgical sterilization is a societal one rather than a medical benefit to the specific animal in question. Meaning that it is no more beneficial to the animal than surgical docking/cropping, and statistically more dangerous. If you're in favor of routine sterilization, you have no grounds to stand on with regards to opposing routine docking/cropping, as surgical sterilization is far more hazardous to the animal than docking and cropping.

Why sterilize when you can just prevent reproduction without an unnecessary surgery?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Why sterilize when you can just prevent reproduction without an unnecessary surgery?
View Quote
Go to a shelter and look.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm a working/hunting dog dude.

always dock the tails on appropriate breeds. otherwise a field dog will bloody them up or they just look retarded with a full tail.

always get the Declaws removed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:50:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#46]
Oops .
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

Have you ever seen a bird dog with cold tail?

It's basically shin splints in the tail and can lay them up for lots of the season. It's also fairly common.

When my lab got it he was out of the field for almost 3 weeks.

Dock the tail....no longer an issue.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Have you ever seen a bird dog with cold tail?

It's basically shin splints in the tail and can lay them up for lots of the season. It's also fairly common.

When my lab got it he was out of the field for almost 3 weeks.

Dock the tail....no longer an issue.
View Quote
Again, the vast majority of bird dogs hunt with a full tail.  I've hunted with both.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes

Traumatic, invasive, medically damaging and unnecessary surgery as a “fix” for human irresponsibility is hardly defensible and certainly not “better” than a minor cosmetic procedure that doesn’t even hurt.

Are you responsible for all the dogs in the shelter? If so, why did you let your animals reproduce like that?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:59:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Based on pictures of ESS with tails left undocked they look pretty good.
If you aren't going to hunt with the dog why not leave the tail alone?

I would lean toward removing the dewclaws.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top