Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't get me wrong, I love the EE, it was always one of the primary reasons I joined this site. And i'm grateful for it and the service it provides, that's mainly why i'm voicing an opinion here.

I have 11 different rifles that all have at least one item purchased from cool arfcommers on the EE.

Wish admin here would re-consider, take into account feedback from the membership here for a while before setting this in stone.

“Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems. Throw away the solution and you get the problem back. Sometimes the problem has mutated or disappeared. Often it is still there as strong as it ever was.”
~Donald Kingsbury
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I put an 'I'll take it' response to a seller on the EE about purchasing a Chrony.
His response was that he had to turn me down because I had no purchasing history on the EE, even though I have been a paying member on this site for over 10 years.
He was pretty rude about it too.
The 'My way or the highway' attitude with some of the sellers on the EE has caused me not to even browse it anymore.
View Quote
Funny, I'd rather sell to you than some of the 2023/24 accounts who arrive in a storm of EE transactions and GD turboshitposting.

To each their own.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#4]
what happened to the email button ?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]
@GoatBoy - can we get the typo in the thread title fixed? I wondered why it was triggering my OCD and I finally figured it out.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@GoatBoy - can we get the typo in the thread title fixed? I wondered why it was triggering my OCD and I finally figured it out.
View Quote

P

Yes, you need to make it so multiple items can be listed in the same ad. Idk where ya’ll thought that was a good idea to make it 1 per, but thats asinine:
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not a fan.  I don't like the looks of it.  I don't like format.  I feel like I'm clicking on a link to a sleazy website or Calguns.

Yes, I'm a curmudgeon.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#12]
And yet still no retro board that's been asked for for almost 20 years
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan.  I don't like the looks of it.  I don't like format.  I feel like I'm clicking on a link to a sleazy website or Calguns.

Yes, I'm a curmudgeon.
View Quote

I’m with you. I’ve used the EE quite a bit because it was so simple and easy to use. It’s the ONLY reason I’ve kept my membership active all this time. I’m not a curmudgeon but I don’t like any of these changes and I don’t see myself taking the time to get used to it. I’ll let my membership lapse and sell elsewhere when I need to.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it would be good to add the sellers username to the ad. There are sellers I try to avoid and some I know are awesome to deal with.

Add the user name after the price??

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/366627/IMG_2108_png-3155487.JPG

Usernames are located at far right:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20240310-200309_Samsung_Inter-3155853.JPG

Yes , I needed to turn my phone sideways.

I checked on my laptop and really liked the looks and layout.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is no longer a forum, it's not restricted to that structure and rules. Better search (built into the new one), better filtering, and otherwise easier ways to find items makes bumping nightmares a thing of the past. However listings will all "expire" and be relisted if not sold. That's the new version of bumping old listings and fully automated.
View Quote

Gotcha, so our listings will just get pushed back to the very bottom until it expires?

The only way for it to be viewed at the top or most recent part of the list is if it’s renewed automatically? What is that time frame to expiration?

Only asking bc the obvious nice thing about bumping a thread is to have it viewed more and for those who missed it the first time around. Plus I’m sure I’m not the only one who just looks at the first few posts of every category knowing that everything else is old.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The EE had to change. It was doing a task it was never intended to do on a forum and held together with tape. I know change sucks, but if you all trust in us and provide good quality discussion on things, we will address them and make the new EE accommodate as many requests and ideas as possible. I've been here a long time and have always asked for patience as we embrace the new changes and fine tune them for everyone. There are always those who say the sky is falling and after a little bit everyone tends to realize we will adjust and modify to make things better for you all. This isn't the end, but it is the first big step in a new EE for the community.

The forum view no longer shows new EE sold/closed or WTT/WTB ads mixed in with active ads. Sorry about that oversight!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't get me wrong, I love the EE, it was always one of the primary reasons I joined this site. And i'm grateful for it and the service it provides, that's mainly why i'm voicing an opinion here.

I have 11 different rifles that all have at least one item purchased from cool arfcommers on the EE.

Wish admin here would re-consider, take into account feedback from the membership here for a while before setting this in stone.

“Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems. Throw away the solution and you get the problem back. Sometimes the problem has mutated or disappeared. Often it is still there as strong as it ever was.”
~Donald Kingsbury

The EE had to change. It was doing a task it was never intended to do on a forum and held together with tape. I know change sucks, but if you all trust in us and provide good quality discussion on things, we will address them and make the new EE accommodate as many requests and ideas as possible. I've been here a long time and have always asked for patience as we embrace the new changes and fine tune them for everyone. There are always those who say the sky is falling and after a little bit everyone tends to realize we will adjust and modify to make things better for you all. This isn't the end, but it is the first big step in a new EE for the community.

The forum view no longer shows new EE sold/closed or WTT/WTB ads mixed in with active ads. Sorry about that oversight!

Tell me why that's the case.

I'm a software guy too. I get it - we always want to change things, make things we think are improvements. But we aren't making software for us; we're making it for the consumer/customer.

I get that lots of folks have a negative view of change. Sometimes it's simply because it's change, and they can be safely ignored. But sometimes it's because what was there before was better, and the change came because we can't leave well enough alone. It's pretty easy to ignore the latter because of the former, but it doesn't mean that the latter can be ignored.

(FWIW, I'm neither pro- nor anti-new EE yet. I simply don't see a reason it needed to change for the users.)
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Can you make a dedicated category for video games, or put them in parentheses in one?

Electronics audio and video
Hobbies

I could never tell which of those two was appropriate
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:23:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds great! Thank you for your work to improve the site.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#21]
So far I hate it but I'm old and hate all change
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So far I hate dislike it but I'm old and hate all change
View Quote

Kind of where I am at.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:34:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I much prefer the simplicity of the older EE, but I'm just a peon who is happy to be around.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Man I swear, some of you guys still have your kids come change the clock on your VCR. I'm surprised you even use an internet forum since the newspaper is simple and you already knew how to use it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#25]
The EE was the best classified section of any gun type forum hands down because of the way it was structured. I am very curious to the honest and transparent answers as to WHY it needed to be changed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:53:03 PM EDT
[#26]
why fix or replace whats not broken ?

Quoted:
Man I swear, some of you guys still have your kids come change the clock on your VCR. I'm surprised you even use an internet forum since the newspaper is simple and you already knew how to use it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#27]
this

Quoted:
The EE was the best classified section of any gun type forum hands down because of the way it was structured. I am very curious to the honest and transparent answers as to WHY it needed to be changed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because there were things about the old EE that sucked ass. They're trying to improve those things.

Just because you knew how to use it doesn't mean it can't be improved.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#29]
ok lol, in a few weeks we will vote to see which EE was better.

Quoted:

Because there were things about the old EE that sucked ass. They're trying to improve those things.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:11:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Seems more difficult to use for me.   I'm guessing that is just because I am not used to it yet and because  I am a stubborn old coot.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:46:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

With all due respect, the only issue I saw with the existing EE was the difficulty some folks had with uploading images. Not an issue for team members for the most part. Like I said in a previous post, this change is going to greatly impact whether I renew my membership going forward. I’m a heavy user of the EE over the past 15+ years. I’ve used HKPro, The hide, armslist, tacswap and various regional forums. Nothing comes close to the EE as it was. Like my first reaction was WTF are they thinking? Obviously people in the know and I am not. Not a boomer either.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:22:11 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm nobody, but that may be a benefit to the development team. My perspective is from very limited EE use. I switched one of my listings over to the new EE, here are my pro/cons:

Pro:

Posting photos without 3rd parting hosting is amazing. I hate ads without photos but I hate 3rd party hosting more.
Non-team members having 10 active ads is an a-grade upgrade.
No multiple items per listing is a downgrade. Thank you for addressing this quickly.
Auto bumping is good, if it happens frequently enough.
Creating a listing is pretty straight forward and the directions make it more user friendly.
Showing more info on the EE page makes browsing easier.

Con:

The brand list is lacking. People sell lots of stuff, the number of brands might make it too large to be useful.
Adding photos was a bit glitchy, the system rejected a file because it was too large, then uploaded it anyway with my new smaller photos. I had to delete the duplicates and re-upload.
Add more electronic payment options and a "Cash" option to use with "Face to Face" listings.
My shipping type kept defaulting back to "United States" every time I moved from the "Review" page back to the editing page.
Limiting quantity to 1 for non-team members is overly restrictive, especially for small items.
The wording for "Accepting Offers" and "Fixed Price" listings must be separated. Using "Place Offer" as the transactional term for both types is confusing and makes it feel like an auction. For fixed price listings it would be better to label the big green button "I'll Take It" (OG EE tribute) or something similar. Save the "Place Offer" for listings that actually accept offers.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:23:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:28:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes, I'm a curmudgeon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, I'm a curmudgeon.

Quoted:

Agreed.  I used this EE because I liked it.  

Not sure if I will continue - or find something new.  Time will tell.

Edit -

@goatboy

I gave it a spin.  Only thing so far is, my zip code starts with a 0 - the new format keeps deleting the zero.  Can the programmers set the parameters so a zero is an acceptable first digit?  Seems to be working on the initial post, but when I went back to edit it had removed the digit.  

Thanks.

Also, just a heads up for sellers - seems if you enter an image the old way, or with HTML - it won't show a thumbnail - so if you want a thumbnail - use the new image adding dohicky.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 4:48:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Big Retail has 'fixed' the EE. Pray they don't fix it more.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:32:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I didn’t read all 5 pages at this point.

Is there a way to add a field to the listing preview that shows the price?

I see this on other forums and it’s great.  There is no need to click on the retard’s ad that wants $500 for his beat to crap hi point.

Edit: im a moron, browsing the full site on my phone and didn’t scroll far enough to the right.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:35:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I’m with you. I’ve used the EE quite a bit because it was so simple and easy to use. It’s the ONLY reason I’ve kept my membership active all this time. I’m not a curmudgeon but I don’t like any of these changes and I don’t see myself taking the time to get used to it. I’ll let my membership lapse and sell elsewhere when I need to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I'm a curmudgeon.

This it’s horrible
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:57:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I didn’t read all 5 pages at this point.

Is there a way to add a field to the listing preview that shows the price?

I see this on other forums and it’s great.  There is no need to click on the retard’s ad that wants $500 for his beat to crap hi point.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:01:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Being able to toggle the thumbnail would be cool, I know it's not the entire reason why the page is longer, but the current setup takes me unscientifically 2x longer to scroll per page compared to the old version.  

Personally,  if I'm looking to buy something, I'm generally looking more at the title to see if its what i want rather than a thumbnail photo. If the title interests me, I can always look at the post for more detailed or larger photos. Having a photo with the ad and not needing to copy/paste or click a link is definitely a move in the right direction compared to the old way though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:04:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

WTB / WTT are no longer limited to a single category so now you list it in the category you want. This allows easy filtering/searching and to see them all, you can click on the button at the top for the type of sale you are looking for. (WTB for example.)
View Quote

I posted a WTB ad in garands/carbines/m1a section to try it out.   My ad got nuked.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#41]
My fear is the death of browsing the EE.

lack of multiple items per listing, combined with a dealer fee structure that will allow dealers to list an unlimited number of overpriced ads with no listing fee will result it pages and pages of ads.

this is great for someone who want to search for something specific.  This is great for a dealer who want to put up a free add for every gun they have in the shop and only have to pay if they sell it.  

but for a guy who just want to cruise though the listings to see if anything interests him, having to scroll through pages and pages of stuff that doesn't interest them will stink.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:34:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes, I know who you are and how long you’ve been around.  That doesn’t change the fact that you and the new owners elected to “fix” something that wasn’t broken.  This thread, along with countless others highlighted what people saw as an issue with the EE or needed to be addressed.  None of them asked for a wholesale change of the platform.  Quite the contrary, they seemed happy with how easy and intuitive it was.  

I’m sure in the long run this change will work out for the site and people that like it the old way will adapt or move on but that doesn’t mean that this change needed to happen.  This just feels like a corporate move to increase revenue (in the long run, think Gun Broker) and also compile an incredibly thorough database of transactions related to firearms and the associated parts & accessories that any regulating or taxing agency will have access to.  You guys have a for profit business to run so you guys do you however you see fit.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been around for a year or two and used the EE a bit more than once.

Yes, I know who you are and how long you’ve been around.  That doesn’t change the fact that you and the new owners elected to “fix” something that wasn’t broken.  This thread, along with countless others highlighted what people saw as an issue with the EE or needed to be addressed.  None of them asked for a wholesale change of the platform.  Quite the contrary, they seemed happy with how easy and intuitive it was.  

I’m sure in the long run this change will work out for the site and people that like it the old way will adapt or move on but that doesn’t mean that this change needed to happen.  This just feels like a corporate move to increase revenue (in the long run, think Gun Broker) and also compile an incredibly thorough database of transactions related to firearms and the associated parts & accessories that any regulating or taxing agency will have access to.  You guys have a for profit business to run so you guys do you however you see fit.  

Part in bold still hasn't been addressed.

It's not my board, so I don't have a say.  This redesign was clearly done by people who don't participate in or use the EE.  It is simply a sales platform plugged into the board.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#43]
@goatboy

Any way we can get a marker of some sort that shows what EE posts we have clicked on?  

It's usually how I look at what is new since the last time I browsed through the EE subsections.  Without it - it's hard to differentiate what I've looked at and what I haven't.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#44]
I definitely see the lack of being able to sell multiple small items on one ad to be a deal breaker.  For example, there is no way I am going to put out literally 18 different ads, one for each small bag of range brass I am trying to sell - previously I would have put them all in one ad, and when someone wanted to buy say 5 of them I'd put them all in a box and figure up shipping.   Now I'd have to track those 18 ads, keeping track of who wanted what from each ad.  NOT convienient from my standpoint.

Another example:  I have a lot of 500 rds of an certain ammo.  I would have sold the lot for X, or Y per box if you didn't want to buy the whole lot (probably I'd break it down into 5 x 20-rd boxes for my convienience), then go from there.  Now, I have to either sell in a 500-rd lot, 5 x 100-rd lots (each with their own ad), or 25 single boxes of ammo (each with its own ad).  How does the new system "help" me in this regard?  

The new system is also going to make it sooooooo much easier for .gov to track the secondary market, and ensure that people get nailed for not reporting said sales on their taxes.  Yeah, most people are probably selling at a loss, but who keeps receipts for EVERY item they ever bought just in case they need to prove to the IRS they didn't make a profit on it?  Nobody, that's who.  

I agree with a previous poster that if there isn't an easy and painless way to sell of stuff I find doesn't serve my needs anymore, I will be more reluctant to buy stuff if I know it'll be a pain in the ass to sell it later.  I have a number of small items/lots that I had been getting ready to list for sale, but its more probable that I'll just scrap the brass and throw away the small items due to the hassle of trying to sell them.  Not worth the effort it seems.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Accepted payment methods seems nice until you consider how much easier that feature will make it for a third party to identify ways to interfere with transactions.

I'll also join the group that's in the camp of it feels like you are using a sales platform similar to Amazon/Walmart/ebay. That maybe exactly what industry partners want but there's something to be said for the format of the EE prior to this change...I guess it was the last bastion of what you used to be able to do a lot of at gun shows until they started to fill up with crap vendors...breeze the areas of interest to get a good look at the tables and I'd something jumps out, you slow down, take a closer look, maybe even see an extra item or two on the table beyond why you stopped, and then start to talk to the seller.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:56:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@goatboy

Any way we can get a marker of some sort that shows what EE posts we have clicked on?  

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
@goatboy

It's usually how I look at what is new since the last time I browsed through the EE subsections.  Without it - it's hard to differentiate what I've looked at and what I haven't.

Thanks.

View Quote
Great idea. GB already said it's not a forum like the old EE, but it would be nice to have an indication of which items are new since we've opened a particular section, which ads we've looked at, and whether or not a listing has changed since last opened, just like the old EE and the current discussion forums. And since the new EE is not a forum, does it respect any ignore list we might have in place or create in the future?

Are there any plan to allow members to create their own views, kind of like a 'My Board' for the EE? For example, I have a lot of AR stuff and would prefer to get rid of some before it grows into new rifles. It would be nice to be able to create a view which combines all the WTB AR parts sub-sections (new, used, upper, lower, magazines, etc.) onto one page.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes, I'm a curmudgeon.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:37:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Well to be fair, you are kinda sus.

Seriously tho, that really sucks. I'm sure we can get at least 100 people here to bombard his IM box vouching for you, if you want. That might be kinda fun.

View Quote

No worries. I found one on ebay at a good price and it will be here today.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#50]
I've been surfing through it this morning and it's still bad.

Click on a picture to pop up and it's bigger but not big enough to discern real details.  Same as the rest of the board.  It's not good.

It still feels like checking out at some second rate internet storefront.  

I realize that Goat and Sub have put in a lot of work on this but it has changed the tenor of the EE.  It used to be an online gunshow put on by your local gun club.  Now it is a business.

Questions.

Are guys allowed to post multiple items in a post?  If not that will clog up the EE.

Can someone explain how bumping will work now?  I read about it here but I'm not sure I understand.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top