Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The matrix is broken.  In this thread I click on the next page and it is blank.  No posts but it says pg7 for example.

I will post this and then there will be something on 7.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm interested to try out a dealer listing for custom engraving.
Currently in the process of moving to a new house, then I will.

Hopefully it is intuitive, so I don't get my peepee smacked I've already received warnings for it in the EE. Don't need a ban.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll pass.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Why would you list paypal as a payment option on a gun forum?  

I just listed something for sale but I doubt I will use it much.  Frankly Vertical Scope forums require less dicking around and that is saying a lot.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there a way to edit an existing post?  Specifically if we have a fixed price and want to change it to accepting offers?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#10]
My general thoughts.

1.  I actually like the idea of a 'free' sales / marketing platform for the firearms / tactical industry.  'Free' as in  'FREEdom', ie, you can list gun stuff.  Also 'Free' as in  'you don't have to go buy and pay a ton of money for a webpage or give XYZ company 15% of your sale.  

1B.  Saying that, you need to be serious about marketing it as that.  

1C.  I know it's new, but you need to make it more user friendly, both on the buyer and seller side.

1D.  And with less restrictions.  ie, how many items you can list, etc.  Turn it into the 'Firearms / Tactical world' version of ebay and / or etsy.  I'm being serious.  If Brownells wants to make a ton of money and pay for AR15.com, do this.  But without the ebay stupidity.  Keep fees down.  Let people open up their own little  'stores'  kinda like Etsy to sell on.  This will help all the little cottage industry guys get up and running, something the whole industry should be supporting.  The more industry we bring back to the USA, the more small businesses we support in the gun world, the stronger the industry.  And the more ads Brownells can make money off of by having people visit all these little stores.

1E.  Make sure to support both Person to Person sales.  Also Cash and Money Order sales.  

2.  However, I am going to throw some caution out there.  At the risk of being called outdated, there is a certain....simplicity...and freedom, if you get what I'm saying....from having an open forum place to buy and sell stuff.  Especially in this industry.  While Brownells is probably going to be all 'risk adversive' and bending the knee to the system that is trying to force everything - especially in this community - to be easily digitally trackable...we need to be careful about throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak.  

While I'm all for advancements in technology, and I'm actually FOR ar15.com and Brownells to do a dedicated gun / tactical gear  'e-commerse' or whatever you want to call it system - which is what they are doing, whether they want to admit it or not - you are going to lose ALOT of people who don't want to go through the trouble of using the new system or who don't want to put their digital fingerprints all over the system.  And you are destroying one of the last large, basically un-censored marketplaces on the internet where people can make direct 1v1 transactions without depending on a 3rd party (in this industry).  

3.  AR15.com / Brownells is going to have to decide to either keep the open forum EE, or go full on E-commerce system.  You are going to find out you cannot sit in the middle like your new system is trying to do.  Or better yet, just leave both open.  Your old EE hasn't had serious issues.  It works.  ALOT - and I mean ALOT - of your members stick around and post here because of the EE.  Keep it up and running in addition to your new system.  You will find that you won't lose people, you will gain a bunch of them and gain a ton of traffic if you keep both running (and push the E-commerce store hard).  Some people will prefer the older system, some the newer system.  The newer system will be better for big-item sales and people who want to run little stores or side gigs or who have a ton of stuff to sell.  The old system will be an oldschool classifieds for the random stuff.

I am being REALLY SERIOUS about the e-commerce store idea @goatboy .  Especially the idea of allowing people to have small 'stores'.  You can expand into other related industries - hunting, backpacking, outdoor gear, prepper gear, clothing, etc.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think if you have no current offers you can click the pencil icon (top right corner and will be fixed to be more prominent) to edit the listing. Let me know if you can't make that change and I can help.
View Quote

Thanks, super easy!  Just didn't notice the pencil.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Looking into this and will fix. Also ZIP CODE IS OPTIONAL!!!!! We will adjust so it is clearly labeled as such.
View Quote
@GoatBoy @Stylz

Something else I noticed yesterday when I posted an ad yesterday but forgot to mention earlier. I filled out everything on the form but left the zip code field blank, clicked the Review button, then noticed something I needed to change. I clicked the Previous Step button, and the zip code field then had -1 in it which I didn't initially notice. When I clicked Review again, I got an invalid zip/postal code error. Removing the -1 allowed me to review and submit my ad.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been surfing through it this morning and it's still bad.

Click on a picture to pop up and it's bigger but not big enough to discern real details.  Same as the rest of the board.  It's not good.

It still feels like checking out at some second rate internet storefront.  

I realize that Goat and Sub have put in a lot of work on this but it has changed the tenor of the EE.  It used to be an online gunshow put on by your local gun club.  Now it is a business.

Questions.

Are guys allowed to post multiple items in a post?  If not that will clog up the EE.

Can someone explain how bumping will work now?  I read about it here but I'm not sure I understand.
View Quote

I'm here, too.

But, hey, good job on tracking who-did-what "cleaner" I guess
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You can use them for photos in description, like before, but they wont show as the item image unless you upload it with the listing.
View Quote

Thank you. Please fix the quantity >10 soon please sir.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is there a way to upgrade to a "power seller" account even though I actually sell very little?

I want to be able to tell babes in real life that I'm a "power seller".
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Can you clarify if there's a rule that would prevent me from listing a rare, desirable item for super cheap and then just keep rejecting offers from now until the end of time?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can you clarify if there's a rule that would prevent me from listing a rare, desirable item for super cheap and then just keep rejecting offers from now until the end of time?
View Quote
I'll let GB speak to any "rules" but there is the ability to "report" ads.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:06:20 AM EDT
[#18]
There is now a drop down box for reporting an issue with an ad. May I suggest you add a "wrong section" or "wrong forum" option.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ok, I am posting again...

A couple things about the new EE

1. Why do we need a thumbnail in the ad listing? It seems to clutter up the clean listing format. Just put a check mark in the listing indicating it has a picture when you click on the ad and open it. The thumbnail is too small to see any real detail anyways. Just get rid of it. It adds unnecessary clutter.

2. One of the things of beauty of the old (better EE) was the spacing between ads in list form was much closer together. This made browsing MUCH more pleasant and faster. It was visually more appealing to scan a lot of line items all at once for what caught your eye. This new format makes that much more difficult. At least for my brain.

View Quote

I agree that the picture thumbnails in the listings makes them more cluttered and harder to see and the slimmer spacing between the previous EE listings was easier to view, especially on a smart phone. Other than that, the new EE seems to be setup pretty well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:46:33 AM EDT
[#20]
So far I like the new EE from a browsing/buyer stand point.  I have several things to list pretty soon so I'll have some feedback from the seller side.  I will echo that the thumbnails are a visual clutter.  I don't look at them even on PC.  I surf the new listings frequently on my phone and I'd love to be able to toggle the thumbnails off on my mobile devices and PC.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:53:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had my first try at a sale last night and I could not accept the offer. It just said Invalid Offer. We just did the sale without going through the system.
View Quote

Same for me except I was the buyer.
Would not accept the offer for what the seller was asking for the item.

Invalid Offer ?????
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:58:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We will continue to protect you all and do not plan to store historic user data. So we will continue to scrub your info from both sales and purchases. We do not want to ever be in the middle of investigations, so the less we store, the better for us too. We have ALWAYS done what we can to protect your info and will continue to do so. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either projecting their grouchiness or hasn't been around long enough to know how we work.

Again, to be clear. WE DO NOT PLAN TO KEEP USER DATA TIED TO TRANSACTIONS. I'd like to clean out all old transactions and keep the system super fast. The plan right now is deciding on the window to hold info in case of a problem between seller and buyer.
View Quote

Glad to see this answered, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We will continue to protect you all and do not plan to store historic user data. So we will continue to scrub your info from both sales and purchases. We do not want to ever be in the middle of investigations, so the less we store, the better for us too. We have ALWAYS done what we can to protect your info and will continue to do so. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either projecting their grouchiness or hasn't been around long enough to know how we work.

Again, to be clear. WE DO NOT PLAN TO KEEP USER DATA TIED TO TRANSACTIONS. I'd like to clean out all old transactions and keep the system super fast. The plan right now is deciding on the window to hold info in case of a problem between seller and buyer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We took positive steps for privacy by scrubbing the names from the archives.

This one with the record retention described in the OP is a big step backwards.

The board was obviously going to cooperate with orders/warrants, but this one makes stuff way to easy to hand over detailed transactions after ATF suddenly decides some random legal item is now illegal.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just listed an item for sale. I received a message saying someone accepted the price.  So I had to message them and ask how they wanted to pay. They then asked for more pictures and had questions. Meanwhile, my ad is closed and waiting on the buyer to decide if he is buying.....
View Quote

I'm dealing with the exact same thing right now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:15:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Is there any way for me as a seller to easily find and check my posts?  My EE does not show it nor does My Topics.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Is it just me or is there nothing differentiating ads I’ve already seen vs new ads? I’m looking for a specific light and check the page a few times a day, so it was nice to be able to glance and see what ads were new rather than checking them all and trying to remember what I’ve already seen.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is there any way for me as a seller to easily find and check my posts?  My EE does not show it nor does My Topics.
View Quote
On a PC, go to the new EE then click My Tools in the upper right. On a phone, there's a My Tools button just above the first listing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Or you could take the proceeds from selling two magazines and purchase a membership from the site you not only socialize on but get to use to sell things.

There's always Reddit or DU, they're 100% free!
View Quote

What is DU
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What is DU
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or you could take the proceeds from selling two magazines and purchase a membership from the site you not only socialize on but get to use to sell things.

There's always Reddit or DU, they're 100% free!

What is DU

Democratic Underground, where the radical Democrats hang out.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Would be nice to change the drop-down for listing type (sell or trade) to be check boxes so that we can list an item as one that we will sell OR trade.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I've brought this up like 3 times here without any reply.  @GoatBoy, can we finally update the site search feature (since it's rate limited) so that we can search for things without needing at least 3 alphanumeric characters???  If I am looking for specific barrel length, for example, I can't search for the term:  16" or 18" or 20".  That's always been super-annoying to me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've brought this up like 3 times here without any reply.  @GoatBoy, can we finally update the site search feature (since it's rate limited) so that we can search for things without needing at least 3 alphanumeric characters???  If I am looking for specific barrel length, for example, I can't search for the term:  16" or 18" or 20".  That's always been super-annoying to me.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Fair enough...  still can't search for 1" scope rings.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm in the middle of my first transaction in the new EE, and while I appreciate all the effort that went into it, I feel like it's kind of a waste. The ads look good, and it's nice to see thumbnails when scrolling through them, assuming sellers take advantage of the feature and bother to ad them. But overall, it just adds unnecessary layers to a simple transaction. For instance, a buyer goes through the motions of making an offer, when he could just send an IM. Then the seller goes through the motions of accepting the offer, when he could just reply to an IM. Then both still need to send IMs back and forth to coordinate payment and shipping. In the end, it doesn't make anything any easier or simpler and frankly, while pretty, I feel the resources spent making it could have been better spent on other functionality.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#35]
I've asked the same question and have yet to get a response.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
On a PC, go to the new EE then click My Tools in the upper right. On a phone, there's a My Tools button just above the first listing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#40]
In the EE under the search feature we could require all keywords. I'm not finding how to do this with the new EE search feature.

Fore example, when I search for an Aimpoint Acro with the new EE I get every listing for Aimpoint, regardless if it's an Acro or not.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We'll get that fixed.

We currently have List, Grid, and Text view as options. Once listing have moved over to the new model, we can keep text view as an option for that.
Good point. Added to feedback list.
View Quote

Right on! Thanks for the info. I appreciate you guys trying to make this painless as possible while moving the EE to something that should make transactions easier for both parties.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Okay, so just checked out new system a little more, and I tried out the drop-down view offers and clicked on "text view" and it kicked me back to the old style, the new listings there are in the new format, but I can browse nice and fast without all the clutter just as i've done for years.

Please please please keep this option! I don't mind the new ad format so much, just the browsing aspect, and this option gives me exactly what works best for me (and i'm sure others). Please and thank you!
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#44]
So how does the "make offer" button work? Is your offer publicly visible or does it just send a private notice of your offer to the seller?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I just tried it. Listing went OK, but when I tried the edit listing function before I submitted it kicked me to the main page of the precious metals. The edit wouldn't have been important anyway but it does seem to be glitch.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I like it, just sold my first item under the new system. Rejected the first offer and accepted the second. No BS IMs just boom, shoot me a number. I’m sure it’ll get some polishing as we go and no one will remember the old way in a few months.

I changed my mind, It fuckin sucks!
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Okay, so just checked out new system a little more, and I tried out the drop-down view offers and clicked on "text view" and it kicked me back to the old style, the new listings there are in the new format, but I can browse nice and fast without all the clutter just as i've done for years.

Please please please keep this option! I don't mind the new ad format so much, just the browsing aspect, and this option gives me exactly what works best for me (and i'm sure others). Please and thank you!
View Quote
@Dragynn

Where is that feature?  I cannot find it.  I haz the 'tism.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Edit: disregard. I figured it out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Reading the thread in the EE, there are a lot of questions about how to leave feedback and folks who can't find it in "tools".  Also folks who have no option to mark an ad as sold when it doesn't close automatically.

Goes back to my request for a play by play tutorial on the new system.  

Perhaps also adjusting things so the feedback option is easier to find.  Feedback buried in a menu is harder to find than the old feedback button.  

Also, we might want to look at the EE rules as to what constitutes a deal.  No major change, just may need some slight verbiage tweaking on the buyer side to fit with the new technology.  I'm reading the new EE as a place offer is an "I'll take it".

Not that anyone reads the rules anyways though.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top