Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2024 1:15:55 AM EDT
I've studied about the use of medicine/pharma on dairy cows, and its purposes.

With respect to my diet, I shoot for the realm of 200g of protein a day. Typically broke out into 1.75lb of some kind of meat usually lean beef, pork, shrimp, or fish (typically not chicken because I hate it, but try every now and again), one or two cheese sticks, a couple of hardboiled eggs, a tin of greek yogurt, and usually peanut butter. Also milk, I drink it in coffee and by the huge cup full (1-2 gallons a week).  Occasionally a 25g protein shake.

I avoid fast food, and soda, but I do drink sugar free energy drinks every now and again. I do drink coffee.

Wondered what everyone thinks about the concept of estrogenic uptake from high dairy? I've read some of the science, but would like others opinions.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:47:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#1]
I drink a lot of whole milk, up to a half gallon a day and my bloodwork is fine.

I buy from a local place that doesn't use hormones in their cows though.

Oral steroids are the least efficient pathway, so any estrogen in the milk that you consume is very likely just broken down in your stomach and gut and passed through. Some might get into your system, but probably not enough to worry about.

I would be far more concerned about soy and beer. You're going to have far more issues with estrogen by being fat than by consuming milk while lean, fat is the T killer.

Milk is really pretty close to a perfect food for bulking/energy as long as you can tolerate lactose. Obviously it's not human milk so the ratios are off a bit, but it's still pretty damn good.

Edit: If you look at the table, cow milk is probably better for adult humans than human milk would be (it is for babies after all). Higher protein content and similar fat. Sheep milk looks like cheat mode milk, I should find some and try it out.

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I've drank large amounts of milk and eggs my entire life.  I will be turning 50 years old soon and don't seem to have any test issues.  I've never had my test levels checked and have never felt the need to.  I buy my milk off the shelf as well so I'm sure it's the bad stuff.

Dr. Mike agrees milk is the muscle building nectar of the gods.  Rip was right about milk as well.  

I don't count the protein from lower quality sources like peanut butter.  I eat peanut butter but just consider the calories and fat without counting the protein toward my goals.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2024 12:48:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dyezak] [#3]
Originally Posted By Chromekilla:

With respect to my diet, I shoot for the realm of 200g of protein a day. Typically broke out into 1.75lb of some kind of meat usually lean beef, pork, shrimp, or fish (typically not chicken because I hate it, but try every now and again), one or two cheese sticks, a couple of hardboiled eggs, a tin of greek yogurt, and usually peanut butter. Also milk, I drink it in coffee and by the huge cup full (1-2 gallons a week).  Occasionally a 25g protein shake.

I avoid fast food, and soda, but I do drink sugar free energy drinks every now and again. I do drink coffee.

Wondered what everyone thinks about the concept of estrogenic uptake from high dairy? I've read some of the science, but would like others opinions.
View Quote

The estrogen in dairy is microscopic compared to soy.  Dairy product ranges - 2 to 31pg/g (picogram).  Soy product ranges - 5 to 70mg/g (milligram).  And tofu is pretty bad at 70mg/g

1pg = 0.0000000001mg

One 1/2lb impossible burger has 44mg of estrogen in it.  To put that in perspective a transexual trying to transition from male to female is prescribed 1-200pg of estrogen to take daily.  One impossible burger is more than 1mo of estrogen intake for a transitioning person.  

Whey barely registers at 2-3pg/g (you'd have to eat thousands of grams of protein to get to dangerous levels), and the worst dairy offender I found (cottage cheese) is still just 35pg/g.  Hell, even 1/2lb of ground beef is 2-3pg/g of estrogen...so dairy is not far off plain ole red meat.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/soy/
https://www.tsln.com/news/stangle-impossible-burgers-are-made-of-what/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022030279834463#:~:text=Free%20natural%20estrogens%20in%20raw,9%20to%2031%20pg%2Fml.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 1:21:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone.

I will continue to avoid soy as best as I can and keep the eggs, milk and cheese turned on.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dyezak:

The estrogen in dairy is microscopic compared to soy.  Dairy product ranges - 2 to 31pg/g (picogram).  Soy product ranges - 5 to 70mg/g (milligram).  And tofu is pretty bad at 70mg/g

1pg = 0.0000000001mg

One 1/2lb impossible burger has 44mg of estrogen in it.  To put that in perspective a transexual trying to transition from male to female is prescribed 1-200pg of estrogen to take daily.  One impossible burger is more than 1mo of estrogen intake for a transitioning person.  

Whey barely registers at 2-3pg/g (you'd have to eat thousands of grams of protein to get to dangerous levels), and the worst dairy offender I found (cottage cheese) is still just 35pg/g.  Hell, even 1/2lb of ground beef is 2-3pg/g of estrogen...so dairy is not far off plain ole red meat.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022030279834463#:~:text=Free%20natural%20estrogens%20in%20raw,9%20to%2031%20pg%2Fml.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chromekilla:

1pg = 0.0000000001mg

Dairy contains actual estrogen though, soy contains phytoestrogens. Not as potent, but still something I don't eat a lot of.

If you try to avoid them entirely you might as well just cut all plants out of your diet....including the bodybuilder staple of broccoli.

Link Posted: 1/9/2024 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Being obese has a greater effect on estrogen than the foods you eat.  Obese people usually have certain eating habits in common so they think those food types cause their hormone problems but it has more to do with being obese and inactive.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2024 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By lefty-weaver-g19:
Being obese has a greater effect on estrogen than the foods you eat.  Obese people usually have certain eating habits in common so they think those food types cause their hormone problems but it has more to do with being obese and inactive.  

View Quote

This was out of left field.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 9:34:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#8]

View Quote

This is easy to see too, look at the studies showing testosterone levels declining. They track obesity rates rising.

Being fat really screws your hormones up, especially if you are fat fat and not strong fat. Aromatase is a hell of a thing.

Even then, sumo wrestlers are monsters pound for pound, and have an observably lower life expectancy than their peers, by almost 20 years.

Being fat is about the worst thing you can do to yourself across multiple systems in the body.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

This is easy to see too, look at the studies showing testosterone levels declining. They track obesity rates rising.

Being fat really screws your hormones up, especially if you are fat fat and not strong fat. Aromatase is a hell of a thing.

Even then, sumo wrestlers are monsters pound for pound, and have an observably lower life expectancy than their peers, by almost 20 years.

Being fat is about the worst thing you can do to yourself across multiple systems in the body.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

Dr Mike will tell you this applies to sugar consumption as well.  Sugar isn’t as bad for you if you aren’t obese and inactive.  If your fit and active sugar isn’t nearly as bad for you.

The problem with sugary treats is they also have lots of fat so it’s easy to eat more calories than you burn leading to obesity but sugar alone isn’t that bad if you aren’t obese and inactive.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#10]

1pg = 0.0000000001mg

View Quote

Damn, no wonder they are trying to push that plant based bullshit. Trying to increase the number of girly men!
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Grey_Man:

Damn, no wonder they are trying to push that plant based bullshit. Trying to increase the number of girly men!
View Quote

Why do you think there's a term "Soy Boy".  There's a huge subpopulation of men who have high soy diets who all look ultra femanine (or at best pre-pubescant male).  It's a thing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I doubt it.  I eat a lot of Greek yogurt and I don't see any bitch tits yet!
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:34:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lefty-weaver-g19] [#13]
Dr. Mike says your concerns with foods increasing estrogen is BS.  He also says estrogen is a good thing as long as test levels are normal.  It's odd how I always seem to agree with this guy and think the same things then he puts out a video about it LOL.  

He specifically mentions soy protein as well.

https://youtu.be/He_-f1ZCCJE?si=eyw_i1orwxyDJeS8&t=1
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#14]
In before the shirt comes off and this thread turns gay. .

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#15]

https://media1.tenor.com/m/SUZ6Amv7e1MAAAAd/beau-chevassus-beau.gif

View All Quotes

https://media1.tenor.com/m/SUZ6Amv7e1MAAAAd/beau-chevassus-beau.gif

No, it's not.

Aromatase in adipose tissue (it's also present elsewhere, but when a person is overweight or worse it's easily the biggest culprit) converts androgens (testosterone, etc.) into estrogens.

Being overweight results in the body turning testosterone to estrogen far more than it should, which leads to all the "soy boy" effects. This is also why overweight men put on testosterone therapy are frequently given aromatase inhibitors - this blocks that process, otherwise their supplemental testosterone would end up turning to estrogen, ironically making their problems worse.

Interestingly, in a related effect, women's ovaries also turn testosterone to estrogens. Being overweight (most precisely the insulin resistance that is a part of that) actually leads to the ovaries NOT doing that conversion, leading to more masculine features (facial hair, etc.).

Obesity (really the insulin resistance that frequently leads to it) directly affects the hormones of both sexes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top