Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2024 3:18:17 PM EDT
I'm going to need to rent one for a 2 week period.  Unlikely I'll need to use it, but the reviews are all over the place w/ what I'm finding.

Anyone have experience renting a sat.phone?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#1]
No, but I was thinking about getting a satellite texter.  Zoleo is the one that looks the most attractive.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Garmin inreach isn’t enough for you?  They are very good
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By _Matt_:
View Quote

Looking into this now.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm using an inreach explorer+ and I like it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I use these guys every year for elk hunting.

Satellite Phone Solutions
7491 Federal Highwa Box C5-249
Boca Raton, FL 33487 US
[email protected]

Jon is the guy I talk to.  Always helpful, fast, and their prices are good.

Cell phone reception is spotty, so we always take a sat phone.

Last time I used an Iridium.  It comes in a pelican case with everything you need.  I always to the prepaid shipping for return.  My last 10day rental was $200 all in.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#6]
If you go sat phone get a US based number unless traveling internationally.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:04:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#7]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Why do you need one and where will you be?

I have access one and carry it on some trips. It is not easy to use and signal reception is slow to connect. You can't walk around and use them like the movies either. I used it in a spot in November and was convinced that I would have bled out before a reliable connection was established.

There are tons of other options, but your reason for needing one would help decide if something else would fit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#9]
The inreach will work great if you just need it for emergencies outside of the cell network. You are still able to send and receive SMS, so it’s great for check ins
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:07:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#10]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't remember what company I used, but I've rented a sat phone on a few occasions with mixed success. I've had trips where it functioned flawlessly and others where it dropped the call every 15 seconds. The worst was on a ten day backcountry hunt in Utah. It dropped the call so frequently it basically wasn't useable.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By UV18:
Why do you need one and where will you be?

I have access one and carry it on some trips. It is not easy to use and signal reception is slow to connect. You can't walk around and use them like the movies either. I used it in a spot in November and was convinced that I would have bled out before a reliable connection was established.

There are tons of other options, but your reason for needing one would help decide if something else would fit.
View Quote

Good point.  Canadian backcountry, and would only be used for emergencies such as severe injury.

The Garmin InReach is looking like a great option, actually.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and ideas.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:11:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittleBigHorn] [#13]
Do you absolutely NEED the phone function?  Love my garmin 67i for texting and tracking/mapping.  It 100% works on 6 out of 7 continents in the absolute most remote areas.  I haven’t tried it in Antarctica so won’t vouch.

And I do recommend the 67i over the in reach mini, so much more to it for only a couple hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bwcaq:

Good point.  Canadian backcountry, and would only be used for emergencies such as severe injury.

View Quote

Have you considered a PLB like McMurdo?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By LittleBigHorn:
Do you absolutely NEED the phone function?  Love my garmin 67i for texting and tracking/mapping.  It 100% works on 6 out of 7 continents in the absolute most remote areas.  I haven’t tried it in Antarctica so won’t vouch.

And I do recommend the 67i over the in reach, so much more to it for only a couple hundred bucks.
View Quote

Don't need the phone function.  Text would be sufficient and I just stumbled across that 67i.   I have older 62 and 64s and would love an excuse to upgrade anyway.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Lawmonkey:

Have you considered a PLB like McMurdo?
View Quote

Nope.  I'll give it a look.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#17]
InReach is the way. I’m not sure why anyone would mess with a sat phone anymore. I’m sure there are reasons, but I can’t think of any.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bwcaq:  Good point.  Canadian backcountry, and would only be used for emergencies such as severe injury.

View Quote

Are we invading Canada?  Bring back some Tim Horton's.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#19]
garmins use iridium. if i was gonna get a satphone it would definitely be an iridium. the garmins are good also. if i was doing a group thing, i'd have one satphone and at least one garmin thingy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By st0newall:
garmins use iridium. if i was gonna get a satphone it would definitely be an iridium. the garmins are good also. if i was doing a group thing, i'd have one satphone and at least one garmin thingy.
View Quote

Inreachs are great, I used to fly with a sat phone but switched to the inreach, can download the app to your phone and text from it. Works well in the high arctic.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I have a Zoleo. Some random scammer is scam texting the Zoleo text number. Jesus Christ
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14563/IMG_1028-3189665.jpg

Honestly I haven't used it enough to have an opinion

View Quote

Lovely Not sure about Zoleo, but at least with the InReach, the number changes every so often. Still, at $0.50 a message after you've used your allotted messages, could get speedy if they are persistent until the number changes.

That would piss me off something fierce.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:51:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bwcaq] [#23]
Y'all convinced me to not bother w/ the sat phone and look at the Garmin.  I like the better battery life on the Mini2, but the 67i would serve multiple roles.

ETA: And thanks again to everyone for the info.  Really helpful.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Unless you truly need voice, I'd go with an InReach.  I have the Explorer+, but if I were buying a new device, it would be the Mini 2.

Times have changed, but the last time a sat phone was in the discussion in Canada, the pragmatic answer from the pilot was that there simply were no assets available to mount a rescue in the event of an accident, so the sat phone wasn't all that valuable outside of changing scheduled pickup dates or locations.

Regardless of whether there are or are not rescue assets, something like an InReach is absolutely invaluable in the backcountry for things like weather and fire updates:
You create a spreadsheet or PDF with hyperlinks to
- your selected weather forecasting sites
- NASA FIRMS satellite fire mapping
- snowcover maps
- general maps
- the Garmin map that is tracking your device
- germane Local/State/Provincial/National sheriff/forest/park/game offices
And you pass this file along to a couple points of contact who are back home and will have proper computer access to field and assess complex emergent issues while you are in the field.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
InReach is the way. I’m not sure why anyone would mess with a sat phone anymore. I’m sure there are reasons, but I can’t think of any.
View Quote

1) 9/11 the Cell Phone towers were overwhelmed in NYC.  When you have to call, you might not be able to in a disaster.
2) Track 'n Trace like the 1/6'ers.  
3) Cell phones spy on you.  How important is privacy to you?

Disadvantages:

1) Won't work indoors.  If it's raining or snowing, sleet, hail or hurricane outside, that's where you have to go to make your call.
2) Depending on the phone, you might not get service (limited satellite which is bovine feces).
3) No interweb surfing unlike conventional smart phones.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Riter:  1) 9/11 the Cell Phone towers were overwhelmed in NYC.  When you have to call, you might not be able to in a disaster.

Disadvantages:

1) Won't work indoors.  If it's raining or snowing, sleet, hail or hurricane outside, that's where you have to go to make your call.
2) Depending on the phone, you might not get service (limited satellite which is bovine feces).
View Quote

A2:  Your GPS located position is almost certainly being reported to the satellite telecom provider;
A3:  The NSA and the feebs have a back door.  The feebs will just have to work harder to get in since you won't get swept up immediately w/ their fake cell tower, they just get it directly from the telecom provider you're using.

D2:  Globalstar has had an issue w/ their sats degrading over time as they pass through the South American Anomaly.  Iridium has not been as affected b/c of the different orbit altitude.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Way back in the day I rented a sat phone for a backcountry elk hunting trip. One of the guys going was worried about being out of touch for extended periods and what could happen. I had a hook up through work for a rental so I did it.

Every fucking guy on that trip ended up calling their wives just about everyday to check in. Fucking cucks. The bill ended up being several hundred dollars higher than it should have been. Only one out of three paid me anything.

Get a Garmin and skip the phone.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:23:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Riter:

1) 9/11 the Cell Phone towers were overwhelmed in NYC.  When you have to call, you might not be able to in a disaster.

Disadvantages:

View Quote

I’m talking vs inreach. Text vs voice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:50:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9mmprn] [#29]
I had an IridiumGo and still have an irridium sat phone that I pretty much stopped using when I got InReach and Starlink.

For the price I’d definitely go the InReach route if texts will get the job done.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Ordered the 67i.  I always have a handheld GPS on this trip, so adding the in-reach option to the unit solves the issue.
The Garmin angle was great advice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:47:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWhiteHorse] [#31]
Ordered the 67i.  I always have a handheld GPS on this trip, so adding the in-reach option to the unit solves the issue.
View Quote

I have a previous iteration, it’s awesome.

Had to use a sat phone once for an emergency 10 years ago, was not impressed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

I’m not sure what exactly you get yourself in to, but the garmin rescue insurance is a great deal as well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

Boca Raton, FL 33487 US
[email protected]

Last time I used an Iridium.  It comes in a pelican case with everything you need.  I always to the prepaid shipping for return.  My last 10day rental was $200 all in.
View Quote

I used to rent from them a couple times a year for offshore diving trips that lasted a week or more. One call at the conclusion of diving that day. The biggest issue was getting used to talking with the delay.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I've been traveling for work a lot since 2012 and have been using satellitephonestore.com since then. I pay like $200 a month for 2 lines that have 100 minutes a month + rollover. I haven't had to use them on any work trips but I've used them numerous times when we lost power at our home in Montana since there is no reception. I've also used them a bunch when we're on vacation camping / out of the country with bad reception.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Britt-dog:
Way back in the day I rented a sat phone for a backcountry elk hunting trip. One of the guys going was worried about being out of touch for extended periods and what could happen. I had a hook up through work for a rental so I did it.

Every fucking guy on that trip ended up calling their wives just about everyday to check in. Fucking cucks. The bill ended up being several hundred dollars higher than it should have been. Only one out of three paid me anything.

View Quote

I had a similar experience on a trip to Africa in 2007. Once the other guys in the camp learned I had a sat phone they all suddenly needed to check in back home. They ran the battery down and I didn't have the right adapter to charge it back up. Glad I never needed it for an emergency.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By _Matt_:
View Quote

Unless you are a CIA hit man and need to call back to Langley go get the green light I can’t imagine what need you could have an inreach couldn’t fulfill.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#37]
You can rent a Globalstar (usa) directly from irridium. I used to own one, worked great 100 miles offshore.  If I didn't give it to another friend that still commercial fishes. I would have lent it too you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

Boca Raton, FL 33487 US
[email protected]

View Quote

You can buy the phone for like $500 and just use their pre paid service. If you are renting one more than once it might make more sense.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

I had a similar experience on a trip to Africa in 2007. Once the other guys in the camp learned I had a sat phone they all suddenly needed to check in back home. They ran the battery down and I didn't have the right adapter to charge it back up. Glad I never needed it for an emergency.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:
Originally Posted By Britt-dog:

I happily let people I'm with, or even strangers, use my InReach to send/receive messages - no material impact to battery life.  I recently looked at all the xmit numbers in the device history, and was like, "wow, that's a lot of numbers I don't recognize."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top