Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/25/2024 8:54:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Since when does an FD detonate instead of a bomb squad?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
View Quote

They need to diversify, due to budget constraints. Hahaha
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#5]
What’s it with all the old timers just having dynamite laying around all the time?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Never doubt trained "professionals".

Exploding Whale 50th Anniversary, Remastered!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#7]
They couldn't get the robot to put it in a containment vessel?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GeneralDisaray:
What’s it with all the old timers just having dynamite laying around all the time?
View Quote

We used to have freedom. My great uncle had a crate of it for removing stumps on the farm. Bought it at the hardware store.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#11]
What's it with all the old timers just having dynamite laying around all the time?
View Quote
WE USED TO BE A PROPER NATION.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#12]
What's it with all the old timers just having dynamite laying around all the time?
View Quote
It was easy to buy for a long time, prior to the pussification of society.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:06:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckeyeRifleman] [#13]
View Quote

In a lot of jurisdictions the FD is responsible for the bomb squad. It sort of makes sense if you think about it… It probably should be the SMEs on chemicals and flammables.

I mean a PD based bomb squad clearly works well for LA though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:07:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#14]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

'Murca.
View Quote

Originally Posted By odiedodi:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:

Hahaha I do love that response. Only way it would be better is because why the fuck not it’s America
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Good call! Old dynamite is very unstable.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By prebans:

@generaldisaray

Once upon a time, dynamite was sold openly at hardware stores to farmers and ranchers for stump and rock removal.  Click here for DuPont’s old helpful guidebook.

Many from that generation lived through the Depression and knew the value of thrift.  They saved stuff, including unused dynamite.  And/or, just like us, we buy and hold things that the government wants banned.  So as they pass on, we discover stuff in garages, sheds, attics, basements, and barns that seems wild.  But to them, it was just a trip to the hardware store.

What will our grandkids say when they hear about us just buying an AR15 and ammo at a store and wandering home with it?
View All Quotes

@generaldisaray

Once upon a time, dynamite was sold openly at hardware stores to farmers and ranchers for stump and rock removal.  Click here for DuPont’s old helpful guidebook.

Many from that generation lived through the Depression and knew the value of thrift.  They saved stuff, including unused dynamite.  And/or, just like us, we buy and hold things that the government wants banned.  So as they pass on, we discover stuff in garages, sheds, attics, basements, and barns that seems wild.  But to them, it was just a trip to the hardware store.

What will our grandkids say when they hear about us just buying an AR15 and ammo at a store and wandering home with it?

Forgot about the whole stump removal thing.

I totally get it was available before we became pussyes I just couldn’t remeber the use case
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:
View Quote

Have you ever seen one of those robots? MOST not all robots are fairly big especially if it was an older house.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:14:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#20]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:
View Quote
I would have soaked it in diesel and carried it out to the street first. Worst case, I wouldn't be around to be homeless.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#22]

@generaldisaray

Once upon a time, dynamite was sold openly at hardware stores to farmers and ranchers for stump and rock removal.  Click here for DuPont's old helpful guidebook.

What will our grandkids say when they hear about us just buying an AR15 and ammo at a store and wandering home with it? I was lucky enough to meet a man who bought a Thompson SMG at a hardware store.  He bought it and, just like us today, wandered home with it cash-and-carry.  He still had it too, thankfully papered during the 1968 Amnesty.  Cost him a lot of money, but he got his employer to cover the cost after a decade of duty as a railroad guard in Arizona.  Here's another link to times people don't know about today.
View All Quotes

@generaldisaray

Once upon a time, dynamite was sold openly at hardware stores to farmers and ranchers for stump and rock removal.  Click here for DuPont's old helpful guidebook.

What will our grandkids say when they hear about us just buying an AR15 and ammo at a store and wandering home with it? I was lucky enough to meet a man who bought a Thompson SMG at a hardware store.  He bought it and, just like us today, wandered home with it cash-and-carry.  He still had it too, thankfully papered during the 1968 Amnesty.  Cost him a lot of money, but he got his employer to cover the cost after a decade of duty as a railroad guard in Arizona.  Here's another link to times people don't know about today.
That hits home.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#23]

@generaldisaray

Just updated the post with another link to older times.  You might enjoy the ad.  
View All Quotes

Forgot about the whole stump removal thing.

I totally get it was available before we became pussyes I just couldn’t remeber the use case

@generaldisaray

Just updated the post with another link to older times.  You might enjoy the ad.  

Hahahaha America use to be so kick ass.  It almost sucks looking back that far and then contrasting
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Since they realized it would be fun?  

I'm wondering why they couldn't have used a robot or similar to move it and lessen the risk of property damage.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#26]
How old do you have to get to for the dynamite to begin appearing?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:41:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: anothermisanthrope] [#27]
View Quote

Explained in first few seconds of vid, but you should watch the whole thing.

Can use it to clear septic tanks too
MVI_3406.AVI By Jimmy Ferris Spur Texas
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Sweaty dynamite is spooky stuff, I've had to dispose of more than my fair share. Mostly by burning, but I've loaded a bit of it into rounds as well. You learn to be very careful with the loading pole
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Come on. How many times in life have you needed dynamite and needed it immediately and didn’t have time to wait for the next free hazmat shipping sale?

But it cheap, stack it deep.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#30]
We missing a member???
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#31]
"The woman was allowed to remove some of her possessions before evacuation orders were called and plans were made for the detonation. Crews knew the home would be a total loss."

Some? She was only allowed to remove SOME of her possessions before they blew everything up? That stuff had been there for years, but once the authorities found out, it has to go boom ASAP? She was obviously trying to do "the right thing", but this is another reason not to. They apparently evacuated the entire neighborhood and blew it up at 4 am.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
https://kutv.com/news/local/decades-old-explosives-detonated-holladay-utah-ancient-dynamite-inherited-found-after-mans-death-house-home-destroyed-improper-storage

I guess after some old guy's death someone found unstable dynamite and the Fire Dept had to detonate it.
View Quote

If it truly is dynamite, moving it is a bad idea.

It if was TNT or other stable explosive, probably a dumb idea to blow it up in place.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:49:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#33]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:
fire station 451
View Quote

Nice. Igotthatreference.jpg
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#35]
I remember we had a thread on this subject some time ago where a photo was posted of a few sticks of rotting, weeping dynamite in a burlap sack hanging in a shed someplace.

That was one of the scariest images I've ever seen on this site.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Never know when you might need a case of dynamite.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Racism got rid of it.  Once white liberals saw this:

Attachment Attached File

Immediate ban!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:24:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mojo_Jojo] [#38]
Originally Posted By jsteves:
"The woman was allowed to remove some of her possessions before evacuation orders were called and plans were made for the detonation. Crews knew the home would be a total loss."

View Quote
Total loss indeed.  Bad outcome for the homeowner.  Her home and possessions were destroyed, and insurance is not going to pay for the loss.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Bought this old dynamite crate to display in my “Old West” room.

NOTE TO ATF: IT’S EMPTY.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
My first thought.

"Hey runcbile, wanna go in there and handle that dynamite?"

"What is this, Sorcerer? Kiss my ass, boss!"
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By prebans: And/or, just like us, we buy and hold things that the government wants banned.  
View Quote

I bought my first AR-15 because of the approaching federal ban.

I bought two quarts of hand soap when the government mandated a change in the formula.

I used to have three bottles of the original bug-n-tar cleaner but I traded two of them away for some banned termite spray.

I add TSP back into my detergent after the government removed it.

My wife laments of times past when the household cleaners cut dirt and grease.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By rodical:
We missing a member???
View Quote

Or is a member missing a member?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes

I remember going with my dad to buy some dynamite at a hardware store in Anniston, AL in the mid 1970's. We blew up a beaver dam on my grandfather's farm with it. I don't know if it all got used to be honest but if any was left over it likely stayed in Alabama, I did find some blasting caps while cleaning out a building after dad passed so I scoured the place to make sure there was no sweating sticks lying around.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:

In a lot of jurisdictions the FD is responsible for the bomb squad. It sort of makes sense if you think about it… It probably should be the SMEs on chemicals and flammables.

I mean a PD based bomb squad clearly works well for LA though.
View Quote

Just don’t give them a pile of fireworks and a brand new super duper containment device. Unless you still want to be trying to have your house repaired years later.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quite common  when I was a kid.   A lot of the farm supply places moved over to binary mixes when that became available, it was safer and a hell of a lot cheaper.  

My uncle dug his entire septic tank and drain field thru solid limestone with binary and a hammer drill, He had no experience whatsoever other than a chat with the farm supply clerk.

You had to buy "sets". IIRC it came in crates of 144, no individual stick sales. Same with blasting caps.  Fuses and det cord had to be complete rolls.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Quite common  when I was a kid.   A lot of the farm supply places moved over to binary mixes when that became available, it was safer and a hell of a lot cheaper.  

My uncle dug his entire septic tank and drain field thru solid limestone with binary and a hammer drill, He had no experience whatsoever other than a chat with the farm supply clerk.

You had to buy "sets". IIRC it came in crates of 144, no individual stick sales. Same with blasting caps.  Fuses and det cord had to be complete rolls.
View Quote
Ever read the book Ignition?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

You didn't need to have a license or permit to purchase dynamite per federal law for ag purposes till after 9-11., if I recall correctly .  Most farm stores and co-ops stopped carrying it in the 70s.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Where's that water truck when you need it?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#50]
They should have brought in the Los Angeles bomb squad. They would have leveled the entire neighborhood.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top