Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Blow that shit in place.  No worth anyone's life trying to remove it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:15:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob940] [#2]
In 2018, a 28yr old Beaver Dam WI guy killed himself when the bomb he was making blew. He was doing it in the garage of the apartment he lived in. CHemicals he used were so unstable that the burned the whole apt building for safety. Tenents on the ends were allowed to get most stuff out of their apts, ones that lived close to theblast were given a short time to grab papers and small stuff.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:03:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like someone who knows explosives manufacture will be super valuable in the coming SHTF when supply chains break down and bulldozers aren't available anymore. Are there any good civillian explosives manufacturing courses out there or is the government infringing on that too?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:
Sounds like someone who knows explosives manufacture will be super valuable in the coming SHTF when supply chains break down and bulldozers aren't available anymore. Are there any good civillian explosives manufacturing courses out there or is the government infringing on that too?
View Quote

A friend told me that the U.S. military tech manual "Improvised Explosives" is an interesting read.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GeneralDisaray:
What's it with all the old timers just having dynamite laying around all the time?
View Quote
I can think of a bunch of things I could accomplish around my place with some tnt. All the fun is just a bonus.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:48:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Houstons_Problem] [#6]
What's it with all the old timers just having dynamite laying around all the time?
View Quote
A little dynamite goes a long way.

Since it was probably sold by the case, everyone always bought too much dynamite.

Apparently, most old guys only used enough dynamite because the ones who used too much dynamite either didn't become old guys or ran out of dynamite.

This is my guess and not actual history.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Quite common  when I was a kid.   A lot of the farm supply places moved over to binary mixes when that became available, it was safer and a hell of a lot cheaper.  

My uncle dug his entire septic tank and drain field thru solid limestone with binary and a hammer drill, He had no experience whatsoever other than a chat with the farm supply clerk.

You had to buy "sets". IIRC it came in crates of 144, no individual stick sales. Same with blasting caps.  Fuses and det cord had to be complete rolls.
View Quote
So part of my theory was correct.

You couldn't buy the amount you needed for a small job. You bought it by the amount that it was packaged in.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:58:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
A little dynamite goes a long way.

Since it was probably sold by the case, everyone always bought too much dynamite.

Apparently, most old guys only used enough dynamite because the one who used too much dynamite either didn't become old guys or ran out of dynamite.

This is my guess and not actual history.
View Quote

Whe i was a kid, the DNR had an old guy that would come out and blow beaver dams. My grandad called them and out he came. He asked if we wanted to watch. Of course, so off we all went to the site.

Old guy pulls a book.out, said it was the guidelines for how much dynamite to use based on the size of the dam.  

He said he took the guideline number, doubled and added 3 sticks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I sometimes wonder if the case of sweating dynamite that I saw in the late 80’s in a boathouse net rack is still there…looked too dangerous to handle at the time, probably was a big problem for somebody eventually…
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Hobs98:

Whe i was a kid, the DNR had an old guy that would come out and blow beaver dams. My grandad called them and out he came. He asked if we wanted to watch. Of course, so off we all went to the site.

Old guy pulls a book.out, said it was the guidelines for how much dynamite to use based on the size of the dam.  

He said he took the guideline number, doubled and added 3 sticks.
View Quote
New theory:  Old guys who didn't have to pay for dynamite and used it for a purpose that is visually spectacular, eventually discovered the fun and practical benefits of overburden explosive shots.

Overburden explosive shots are where much more explosive is used to not only break rock but to pulverize it and save on expensive processing costs using earth moving equipment.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:16:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Joedirt199] [#11]
Bomb squad came for some old crystaly dinamite found in a house when I worked the road. Ofcourse the lazy bastards made us sit on it 24/7 over the weekend till they would respond on monday morning. They took it with them and saved the house.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#12]
usually that'd be the job of the bomb squad

I lived in mining country and my dad was a bomb tech, so I've heard stories like this before. Usually they'd use the bomb robot to move it out of the house unless it was super unstable. If there was a box of sweaty, crystalized dynamite they might have just detonated it in place but my dad always tried to keep property intact if he could do it without risk to a person. That's what the bomb robot is fore.

Never heard of a FD handing explosives but maybe they have that role in their local area.

OK, I went back and actually read the article. Good explosion. Pictures look like a residential area and the amount of dynamite is given as "30-35 pounds". Yeah fuck that, nowhere nearby would be safer to detonate it than the house. "The explosives, estimated to be between 60 to 80 years old, were handed down to the homeowner's late husband from his father about 41 years ago, according to Riley Pilgrim, Assistant Chief for Unified Fire Authority." I'd not want to move that much, or that old, dynamite. Sucks for the homeowner and their neighbors but what was done was probably the safest way to deal with it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By William_lxix:

NG is rerally easy to make, thats why it was manufactured very primitively back in the mid to late 1800's.

There are YouTube videos of NG manufacture showing troughs and sluices with liquid NG running like a stream and they aren't all dying.

Nitroglycerin (NG) exuding from dynamite is only scary if its near the freezing point or gets absorbed into something that can stress the NG.

If its liquid its fine, if its completely frozen its fine, if its slushy - the crystals can be more hazardous and prone to initiation.

If the NG is in another matrix then that can be problematic, but its a contamination issue and 'potentially' a sensitivity issue.

Unfortunately, Public Safety Bomb Squads don't get taught "Desensitization" they are only taught to burn or blow in place or ask the FBI SABT what to do (if they are enlightened/connected they can talk to the Explosive Enforcement Officers or EOD or TSS-E's in their AO).

Certain units in US military EOD learn desensitization of HME & commercial explosives as part of their knowledge base and skillset - but EOD also don't have to deal with Lawyers & politicians like PSBT's do.

NG gets a bad name from Hollywood and old wives tales, not from actual knowledge.  

NG has had YEARS of bad experiences from people mishandling it, but its not nearly as crazy sensitive as MEKP!  

Back in the day, people used to smoke cigarettes while handling NG to counteract the vaso-dilation effects of NG (screaming headaches & fainting!).  THAT is how many accidents happened, from a hot butt, or ash contaminates into NG, not from NG itself.  But the unfamiliar propogate the myth that NG is "Dangerous" - yeah, if you are SMOKING!!

Yes, the proliferation of dynamite used to be more common, as well as the knowledge for safe handling and storage. Unfortunately many users 'forget' to physically rotate their NG loaded dynamite every 6 months, as gravity will cause the NG to exude or leach out filler material/casing and follow gravity down, into whatever it was sitting on, whether thats a wooden crate, shelf, or concrete.  Then the remediation is usually BURN or detonate.  

NG loaded dynamites only have a usable storage life of 18-24 months before the NG is out of the casing and its less effective.

If NG dynamite is stored correctly in a container that will not absorb the NG, then it [the NG] will puddle or form droplets.  The less informed get nervous about this, but, its literally a remote move and PUCA to final disposal.  Densitization techniques can be used to lubricate and disperse the material to avoid heat-stress-friction "activation energies".

The US Navy uses a metric shit ton of PGDN which is chemically very similar and physically very similar to NG and we don't have mishandling accidents with explosions from PGDN.

View Quote

Good post.

All the modern dynamite I've worked with is shipped in cardboard boxes with plastic lining to prevent absorption into the box. I've shot 5-10-year-old dynamite without any noticeable reduction in efficacy.

I don't have the slightest idea why that company bought the stuff - modern emulsion cartridges are cheaper, more stable, and less irritating to work with (I get BAD powder headaches).
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:46:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:

I was gonna ask "couldn't you just put a sheet over it and carry it out with a stick? Just don't trip."
View Quote

That stuff was hauled out in an LHD bucket since burning it in an underground magazine would have been...a poor choice.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
Since when does an FD detonate instead of a bomb squad?
View Quote

I wouldn’t know

Our BFE rural department has people with blasting experience and licensing

They also have whatever licenses are required to build and detonate
large fireworks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:57:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By markmars:
Good call! Old dynamite is very unstable.
View Quote

A speck of dust fell and boom!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:

We used to have freedom. My great uncle had a crate of it for removing stumps on the farm. Bought it at the hardware store.
View Quote

Yep. Now in the age of Aloha Snackbar, nobody is trusted with anything.
The dream of liberty is dying.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#18]
That box is enough evidence to justify shooting your dog and child.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By LilaGrey:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LilaGrey:
Originally Posted By markmars:
Good call! Old dynamite is very unstable.

A cosmic neutrino hit it and boom!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Creole_Cat:
That box is enough evidence to justify shooting your dog and child.
View Quote

If you have hydrogen peroxide, toilet cleaner, and nail polish, you have bomb making materials.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#21]
If you have hair bleach, coffee, and a mechanical pencil, you have bomb making materials.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:

We used to have freedom. My great uncle had a crate of it for removing stumps on the farm. Bought it at the hardware store.
View Quote

Now those were the days!  
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:

Back when the country used to be free; you could buy dynamite at the Circle K.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:
What’s it with all the old timers just having dynamite laying around all the time?

Back when the country used to be free; you could buy dynamite at the Circle K.

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K. Whoa
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
I would have soaked it in diesel and carried it out to the street first. Worst case, I wouldn't be around to be homeless.
View Quote

I thought that this was a viable option, to desensetize it. then you simply burned it and it burned more like nitromethane than diesel, (IE HOT FAST little smoke / flame)
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:

I thought that this was a viable option, to desensetize it. then you simply burned it and it burned more like nitromethane than diesel, (IE HOT FAST little smoke / flame)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
I would have soaked it in diesel and carried it out to the street first. Worst case, I wouldn't be around to be homeless.

Why bother? None of the city employees houses were at risk.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Mojo_Jojo:
Total loss indeed.  Bad outcome for the homeowner.  Her home and possessions were destroyed, and insurance is not going to pay for the loss.
View Quote

That's the first thing I though of.  I hope that wasn't all she had.  

There's probably some .gov assistance program for people who have had their house blown up by LE/FD officials.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top