Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2024 8:18:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: snackle]
I was wondering why FPV drones don't drop their payload in a parabolic arc so they can return to sender. Is it better not to return and give your position away? Is it so cheap already that no one cares? For a country that wasn't getting billions of US taxpayer dollars, this seems like it could be a useful capability.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If you think it's a parabolic arc, you are going to miss.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:28:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexanInOhio4] [#2]
What you’re describing is a package bombing run that gets very complicated to automate (altitude, speed, wind speed, air density, temperature, then all of the variables with what is dropped).
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#3]
You're right, it would not be parabolic. I was thinking of the end of the arc, but yeah, that would not make sense. The question remains, why are they using these like cruise missiles instead of fighter planes?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By snackle:
You're right, it would not be parabolic. I was thinking of the end of the arc, but yeah, that would not make sense. The question remains, why are they using these like cruise missiles instead of fighter planes?
View Quote

Because your method is extremely imprecise with drones.   It's all they can do right now just to drop grenades or mortars from straight overhead and manage to hit the target. Dropping while moving would just kill precision.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#5]
You can build an FPV drone capable enough for ~$250, being able to guide the payload in to the exact position in the final moment is worth more?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:34:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcw107] [#6]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#7]
you would have to halve the range to return.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
Added weight of release mechanisms, projectile stability and proper fuse orientation, trajectory - all sorts of potential complications, I would imagine.  Plus, the added range of a one-way trip.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TexanInOhio4:
1.  What you’re describing is a package bombing run that gets very complicated to automate (altitude, speed, wind speed, air density, temperature, then all of the variables with what is dropped).

2.  Most people don’t want their packages balistically dropped for obvious reasons.

3.  Might want to add a letter to your title.
View Quote

Could you just release it a second or so before impact, and pull up to avoid destroying the drone? I imagine someone could get pretty good at this, and could switch off with a partner who has brought another drone into the vicinity, and the partner begins returning the first drone, while the more skilled operator delivers the second package. Then they return the drones, swap batteries and payloads, and repeat. Since they aren't destroying so many drones, the drones could be outfitted with better equipment.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Juice isn't worth the squeeze I guess. If you are building them for $250 and getting a 25% kill rate, it's cheaper than just about anything?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By piciphant:
you would have to halve the range to return.
View Quote

This, fly out 2 miles and wait for a good target, and kill it. Vs fly out 2 miles, then fly home when you don't see anything. Or figure you could half the battery weight and have a bigger boom.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Accuracy and range.  Harder to drop something than fly into it.  You get 2x the range if you don't return home.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Could you just release it a second or so before impact, and pull up to avoid destroying the drone? I imagine someone could get pretty good at this, and could switch off with a partner who has brought another drone into the vicinity, and the partner begins returning the first drone, while the more skilled operator delivers the second package. Then they return the drones, swap batteries and payloads, and repeat. Since they aren't destroying so many drones, the drones could be outfitted with better equipment.
View Quote

That would be easier to do, but then it would be at the expense of what has already been mentioned (range, not followed back), which are more valuable than the drone.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#14]
That makes sense, why risk your life over a few hundred dollars. I guess if you were in a bad spot you could do it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#15]
What if you had a big drone carrying a payload that flew in with the small drones, and could swap their batteries and reload their munitions? The entire strike package could fly multiple sorties per drone, and only the big drone would return to base. Like an aircraft carrier for drones, except it doesn't carry the drones in, only reloads so they can perform multiple strikes in rapid succession.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Why were Japanese Kamikazes so lethal compared to regular bombers?  No math, just aim at where you want to hit, and let the brain do the subtle corrections needed automatically.

The cost of a FPV drone, even with thermal, is less than the cost of small arms ammo per KIA in many cases.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top