BCM
User Panel

Fallout Amazon series (Page 26 of 35)
Page / 35
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By voodochild:

Just like he fixed the squires issue?  What were the side effects of that again?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kharn:
Rewatching the series:
Click To View Spoiler

Kharn

Just like he fixed the squires issue?  What were the side effects of that again?
Awesomeness?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Furloaf:
I finished this last night, watching an episode a night over a week and a half. I could have watched it faster, but I didn't feel like it.

I don't get the praise it's getting. It wasn't terrible, had some good parts, but overall I thought it was wholly average. 5/10.

Good points:
Walton Goggins of course. The pre-war flashback scenes were the best part of the show.
Some good cinematography, and some (less than half) of the effects were pretty good.
I'll mention some nods to the games were well done, but I also feel they were overused or thrown in there too heavily. I'll give it credit for being a good example of a videogame adapted into a movie.

Bad points:
Complete raping of established lore. Destroying beloved factions offscreen.
Felt like it was checking off boxes for "This is Fallout! (yeah, Bethesda Fallout)
-Very much Fallout 4 in live action
The dark humor wasn't clever like the games, but felt like it was trying to hard and came off as edgy
Some terrible SFX and too many obvious Volume shots (or whatever similar thing Amazon has). Volume shots are the new obvious soundstage shots.
Bad pacing and too much jumping around storylines.  I hated Maximus as a character.  The girl was good, but her throwing around men twice her size was stupid.
The plot is nonsense. Typical Bethesda storyline that is filled full of holes. Characters know things they shouldn't know (how did Maximus know the final location?)

The code at the end (101097) is the release date for the first game.
View Quote

EXTREMELY low expectations are responsible for at least some of that.

It was a show based on a video game AND it was being made by Amazon.  Either one of those made the show unlikely to even be watchable, but to have BOTH of them made it damn near an impossibility and thus pretty much everyone expected it to suck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

I'd also view interracial as just being practical in a post apocalyptic US. Where if your goal is to keep the human race going, you gotta work with what you got.
View Quote

Except in that small a community after about 11 generations the races are probably all going to be mixed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:

It was a show based on a video game AND it was being made by Amazon.  Either one of those made the show unlikely to even be watchable, but to have BOTH of them made it damn near an impossibility and thus pretty much everyone expected it to suck.
View All Quotes
I finished this last night, watching an episode a night over a week and a half. I could have watched it faster, but I didn't feel like it.

I don't get the praise it's getting. It wasn't terrible, had some good parts, but overall I thought it was wholly average. 5/10.

Good points:
Walton Goggins of course. The pre-war flashback scenes were the best part of the show.
Some good cinematography, and some (less than half) of the effects were pretty good.
I'll mention some nods to the games were well done, but I also feel they were overused or thrown in there too heavily. I'll give it credit for being a good example of a videogame adapted into a movie.

Bad points:
Felt like it was checking off boxes for "This is Fallout! (yeah, Bethesda Fallout)
The dark humor wasn't clever like the games, but felt like it was trying to hard and came off as edgy
Some terrible SFX and too many obvious Volume shots (or whatever similar thing Amazon has). Volume shots are the new obvious soundstage shots.
Bad pacing and too much jumping around storylines.  I hated Maximus as a character.  The girl was good, but her throwing around men twice her size was stupid.
The plot is nonsense. Typical Bethesda storyline that is filled full of holes. Characters know things they shouldn't know (how did Maximus know the final location?)

I went in with fairly high expectations... mostly because it was directed by Jonathan Nolan. And I loved Westworld and Person of Interest.

I enjoyed the show.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jhereg:

Except in that small a community after about 11 generations the races are probably all going to be mixed.
View All Quotes

I'd also view interracial as just being practical in a post apocalyptic US. Where if your goal is to keep the human race going, you gotta work with what you got.

Whew boy.

Imagine the state GD would be in if everyone in the show was a mixed shade of brown.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

I went in with fairly high expectations... mostly because it was directed by Jonathan Nolan. And I loved Westworld and Person of Interest.

I enjoyed the show.
View All Quotes

Good points:

Bad points:

I enjoyed the show.

Heh, just realized that Wilzig was also in Person of Interest.  Caught a few episodes of Season 1 before I moved to Malta, never picked it back up, but yeah, Wilzig was the bird guy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:43:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#7]
Originally Posted By Croak:

Heh, just realized that Wilzig was also in Person of Interest.  Caught a few episodes of Season 1 before I moved to Malta, never picked it back up, but yeah, Wilzig was the bird guy.
View All Quotes

Good points:

Bad points:

I enjoyed the show.

Go back and watch it.

Person of Interest is a great show throughout the series, but gets friking WILD the last couple seasons.

eta: he also has a dog

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

I've been calling him Ben Linus the whole time we've been watching Fallout
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#9]
The wokeness of the show with all the bi racial bullshit pretty much put a damper on it for me.

Those assholes in Hollywood are sick in the mind with that crap.  It is like they are afraid of being called racist if they have too many White people in a cast.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PCB66:
The wokeness of the show with all the bi racial bullshit pretty much put a damper on it for me.

Those assholes in Hollywood are sick in the mind with that crap.  It is like they are afraid of being called racist if they have too many White people in a cast.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes
Rewatching the series:
Click To View Spoiler

Kharn

Click To View Spoiler

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:21:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Storm6436] [#12]

Good points:

Bad points:

View Quote

You're more generous than I am. 3/10 or 4/10 here. The constant lingering shots annoyed the piss out of me. Every episode could've been editted down to probably half the running time without loss of coherency. And you're right, it's very much a "Bethesda fallout" and not the original Interplay.  Bethesda has spent decades shitting on the original so it isn't twrribly surprising that Interplay's work got Eiffel Towered by Bethesda and Amazon. Typical low-rent Hollywood writer treatment mixed with "We want to be woke, but we'll try to stealth it this time."
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Three things I noticed that HAD to be nods to great movies:

Lucy MacLean.  In the Die Hard movies, John McClane had a daughter named Lucy.

The Gulper grabbed the head which happens to be in a yellow bag, we then see the yellow bag zipping across the water a couple times before being drug under.  Clearly a nod to Jaws with the yellow barrels.

A more obscure one is when the ghoul takes out the BOS knights at the observatory.  When it goes dark and you only see them illuminated by the muzzle flashes, that scene was absolutely a nod to the first shootout scene in Equilibrium.
Equilibrium Gunfight Scene HD

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#14]

I enjoyed the show.
View All Quotes

Good points:

Bad points:

I enjoyed the show.

High expectations for a TV show based on a video game that was being made by Amazon?

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

They be miscegenationing everyone!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#16]

High expectations for a TV show based on a video game that was being made by Amazon?

https://y.yarn.co/6657d3cd-8080-42cb-a1cf-fa76c862e0db_text.gif
View All Quotes

Good points:

Bad points:

I enjoyed the show.

https://y.yarn.co/6657d3cd-8080-42cb-a1cf-fa76c862e0db_text.gif

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By wc22312:
Fuck Todd Howard, bastard ruined my gaming life.

Fuck what fallout has become. Ruined my favorite childhood franchise.

Fuck Amazon also and fuck arf for using them. Actually just fuck everybody.
View Quote

MOM!!!!  I need to poop again!!!!

Ffrrrpppppthhsssthupoopthoopthoopsplash!

Oh, that's a big boy
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:41:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackbeard28] [#18]
Originally Posted By KillerDyller:

I've been calling him Ben Linus the whole time we've been watching Fallout
View Quote
Yup. My 15 yr old finally watched Lost a couple of months ago. We started watching Fallout together & we also call him Benjamin Linus. lol
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#19]
To be fair to the “reeee, interracial relationship, reeeee” people: while interracial relationships don’t bother me, when EVERY main character in a tv show is in an interracial relationship, it does seem like it might be intentional.

On the flip side: the tranny character commits self-harm a few minutes after we first met him/her and the most evil character in the entire show is a black woman.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't think anybody has said or is trying to say they're offended by interracial relationships. They're merely pointing out that it's almost as if featuring a white couple in a modern tv show is practically verboten now. Sort of like how there was about a point zero percent chance of the protagonist being a straight white male. Having a woman lead or an interracial couple or a gay hero isn't inherently woke, but until it's stopped being forced into every single goddamn new show or movie it's going to turn a lot of people off right away just on principle. In my opinion giving any money or good press to companies like Amazon, or praising a show because it's "not that woke" is just encouraging them to keep moving the line. Remember "we just want to get married!"?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:55:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#21]
On one hand, the female main character could be wokeness. On the other, I wonder if it could be a nod to the number of people who play as a female solely for the Black Widow perk.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd actually argue that this show has three main characters: Lucy, Cooper, and Maximus.

Every single one of them is straight, with one of them being a straight white male.

Lucy may be the poster child, but Cooper the Ghoul has the most interesting character arc and it can also be argued his story is the main story as it is the framing device for the entire series... a straight white male... who I guess loses points in the eyes of some because he's married to a black woman (who turns out to be one of the show's big bads). But he is presented as a loving husband and father prewar until he finds out his wife is basically corporate Pol Pot.

I also don't think Lucy and Maximus weird single kiss puppy love thing can be called "a relationship" at this point. I mean, Maximus doesn't even know how his dick works and Lucy is basically a cousin fucker who's ex husband was a straight white dick wiping raider. Lucy is also the daughter of two white people more or less (albeit one is the show's other big bad and mom is a hippie ghoul).

The other most visible couple are Steph and her dead husband Burt (both white) whom she replaces with Chet (another straight white guy).
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JsARCLIGHT:
I'd actually argue that this show has three main characters: Lucy, Cooper, and Maximus.

Every single one of them is straight, with one of them being a straight white male.

Lucy may be the poster child, but Cooper the Ghoul has the most interesting character arc and it can also be argued his story is the main story as it is the framing device for the entire series... a straight white male... who I guess loses points in the eyes of some because he's married to a black woman (who turns out to be one of the show's big bads). But he is presented as a loving husband and father prewar until he finds out his wife is basically corporate Pol Pot.

I also don't think Lucy and Maximus weird single kiss puppy love thing can be called "a relationship" at this point. I mean, Maximus doesn't even know how his dick works and Lucy is basically a cousin fucker who's ex husband was a straight white dick wiping raider. Lucy is also the daughter of two white people more or less (albeit one is the show's other big bad and mom is a hippie ghoul).

The other most visible couple are Steph and her dead husband Burt (both white) whom she replaces with Chet (another straight white guy).
View Quote

nooooooooo!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#24]
I just finished it last night, and was pleasantly happy with the entire season.  

I laughed pretty hard about the BoS making their initiates/squires haul giant piles of gear, and go dangerous places without power armor....because I treated my companions about the same playing the games.  

Anyone that's butt-hurt about brief, mostly clothed, sex scene between married people on their wedding night, and also played the games has to be trolling.  

I think the best easter egg/surprise that would be missed by people that hadn't played the games was the Robco terminal hacking scene.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
On one hand, the female main character could be wokeness. On the other, I wonder if it could be a nod to the number of people who play as a female solely for the Black Widow perk.
View Quote

If Lucy was a Mary Sue, that would be valid.

Lucy is definitely NOT a Mary Sue.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes
Rewatching the series:
Click To View Spoiler

Kharn

Any drugs he takes are now 55% less effective.
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:40:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HKocher] [#27]

Good points:

Bad points:

View All Quotes

Good points:

Bad points:

I agree with most of this.

Especially this:  

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:45:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#28]
I still have a couple of episodes left.

Overall, I like it.  The best part of fallout is the look and feel of the vacuum tube post-ww2 future vibe world and the humor. They did a pretty good job with that.

The story was pretty boring, and none of the characters were interesting at all.  I couldn’t bring myself to give a fuck about any of them.  I just wanted to see Lucy’s boobs.

My expectations were very very low.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#29]

Whew boy.

Imagine the state GD would be in if everyone in the show was a mixed shade of brown.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4b/35/28/4b35283ace4ed040b0b6ecb3a83ea3b6.jpg
View All Quotes

Whew boy.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4b/35/28/4b35283ace4ed040b0b6ecb3a83ea3b6.jpg

"Fucking woke Amazon ruined Fallout!!"
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:48:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HKocher] [#30]
Originally Posted By Storm6436:
And you're right, it's very much a "Bethesda fallout" and not the original Interplay.  Bethesda has spent decades shitting on the original so it isn't twrribly surprising that Interplay's work got Eiffel Towered by Bethesda and Amazon. Typical low-rent Hollywood writer treatment mixed with "We want to be woke, but we'll try to stealth it this time."
View Quote
Thank you. I hate Bethesda and it’s dumbing down of game franchises.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#31]
For anyone interested in the original literary inspiration for the Brotherhood of Steel, this is it:
A Canticle for Leibowitz

I thought it was a good read in the post-apocalyptic sci-fi vein... although it did trigger some PTSD from 12 years of Catholic school.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I have watched the first 2.5 episodes and I have to say, I'm already losing interest.

Too much woke crap
Fake version of the 1950s

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

Overall, I like it.  The best part of fallout is the look and feel of the vacuum tube post-ww2 future vibe world and the humor. They did a pretty good job with that.

The story was pretty boring, and none of the characters were interesting at all.  I couldn't bring myself to give a fuck about any of them.  I just wanted to see Lucy's boobs.

View Quote

How do you not find Cooper/The Ghoul interesting?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:04:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HKocher] [#34]
Originally Posted By BMSMB:

If interracial relationships are something that triggers you, you deserve to be triggered.
View Quote
I think I was the one that brought up the topic and ironically I’m a product of an interracial relationship so I don’t have a problem with it. But it’s obvious to me that they are shoehorning this in for some reason. No different than googling “happy white couple” and coming up with a bunch of pics of interracial relationships. Or AI not generating pictures of white people.

You can say some of us are too quick to drop the woke card, but I think some of you are too quick to ignore it because you just want your guilt free entertainment. You’re naive if you don’t think Hollywood has an agenda and that agenda is working as planned to brainwash the population.

Case in point, you guys are saying “there’s only one tranny in the show and it’s a not even a major character.” 10+ years ago the only trannies in shows were there for comedy effect and they were a percent of a percent of the population. Now they are in every show and movie and coincidentally a quarter of our children can’t figure out which gender they are.

There’s definitely the Hollywood mandated amount of woke in this series.

Hell, no one even noticed the fact that they genderswapped Dogmeat.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:

"Fucking woke Amazon ruined Fallout!!"
View Quote

Too late, Bethesda already beat them to it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By djkest:
I have watched the first 2.5 episodes and I have to say, I'm already losing interest.

Too much woke crap

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By HKocher:
I think I was the one that brought up the topic and ironically I’m a product of an interracial relationship so I don’t have a problem with it. But it’s obvious to me that they are shoehorning this in for some reason. No different than googling “happy white couple” and coming up with a bunch of pics of interracial relationships. Or AI not generating pictures of white people.

You can say some of us are too quick to drop the woke card, but I think some of you are too quick to ignore it because you just want your guilt free entertainment. You’re naive if you don’t think Hollywood has an agenda and that agenda is working as planned to brainwash the population.

Case in point, you guys are saying “there’s only one tranny in the show and it’s a not even a major character.” 10+ years ago the only trannies in shows were there for comedy effect and they were a percent of a percent of the population. Now they are in every show and movie and coincidentally a quarter of our children can’t figure out which gender they are.

There’s definitely the Hollywood mandated amount of woke in this series.

View Quote

Most of us didn't even realize there was a "tranny" in the show and thought it was a butch girl...

You're looking way to hard for something to be offended about.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cypher214:
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

The story was pretty boring, and none of the characters were interesting at all.  I couldn't bring myself to give a fuck about any of them.  I just wanted to see Lucy's boobs.

Utterly contrived bundle of antihero memes and cliches.  He could be interesting, but the writing kind of blows.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Too much woke crap
Fake version of the 1950s - Bro, it is.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By nvgeologist:
Don't you see? That's how subtle and insidious they/them are!

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/002/546/187/fb1.jpg
View All Quotes

Most of us didn't even realize there was a "tranny" in the show and thought it was a butch girl...

I see now!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Too much woke crap
Fake version of the 1950s - Bro, it is.

Click To View Spoiler

The Raiders didn't kill the vault dwellers. There are plenty of clues that they killed themselves and/or committed suicide.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

You don’t think that every aspect of their multimillion dollar projects aren’t well thought out? They don’t pick actors and characters on a whim.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By p3590:
I think the best easter egg/surprise that would be missed by people that hadn't played the games was the Robco terminal hacking scene.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/187397/terminal-3195104.jpg
View Quote

I caught that and had to explain it to the non-gamer wife.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Too much woke crap

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Can't tell if serious?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#48]

Too much woke crap

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Too much there to unpack, but I'll make one comment.  Subsequent episodes answer some of your questions.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

I played Fallout 3, Most of Fallout 4, and New Vegas. I'm serious.

I'm talking about the flashback part at the beginning of episode 1.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HKocher:
I think I was the one that brought up the topic and ironically I'm a product of an interracial relationship so I don't have a problem with it. But it's obvious to me that they are shoehorning this in for some reason. No different than googling "happy white couple" and coming up with a bunch of pics of interracial relationships. Or AI not generating pictures of white people.

You can say some of us are too quick to drop the woke card, but I think some of you are too quick to ignore it because you just want your guilt free entertainment. You're naive if you don't think Hollywood has an agenda and that agenda is working as planned to brainwash the population.

Case in point, you guys are saying "there's only one tranny in the show and it's a not even a major character." 10+ years ago the only trannies in shows were there for comedy effect and they were a percent of a percent of the population. Now they are in every show and movie and coincidentally a quarter of our children can't figure out which gender they are.

There's definitely the Hollywood mandated amount of woke in this series.

I had no clue it was a tranny until mentioned here.  It wasn't an actor I recognized, and it was a minor role, so I didn't look them up.

Its not like Amazon followed the "put a chick in it and make them gay" Disney method here.  There were plenty of gay/trans/whatever characters in the games, going back 25+ years.

Either the complaint is with all of Fallout across the board, which is at least logically consistent, or it really is seeing woke stuff everywhere.
Page / 35
Fallout Amazon series (Page 26 of 35)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top