Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2024 12:28:41 PM EDT
It's not a new invention or anything, just my variation on a theme. For some strange reason, I seem to want to have the physical ability to sprint to someplace nearby, pick up some heavy objects, and sprint back.

I use a racquetball court because they're almost always available when I workout. I think it's ten yards.

I'm standing on a yoga mat while taking the pic. At the far end is a yoga mat with four 25-pound plates on it. And a couple of 50 pound kettle bells.

Here's how it goes:

Sprint from the start mat to the plates mat
Grab two plates
Run back to the start mat
Set the plates on the start mat
Sprint back to the plate mat
Grab two plates
Run back to the start mat
Set the plates on the start mat
Sprint back to the empty plate mat and slap it loudly
Sprint back to the start mat
Grab two plates
Run back to the plate mat
Set the plates on the plate mat
Grab two plates
Run back to the plate mat
Set the plates on the plate mat
Recover for three minutes
Repeat
Recover for three minutes
Repeat

Farmer's Walk with the 50-pound kettle bells, 3 laps (6 legs)
Recover
Repeat
Recover
Repeat

The first time time I did it about five weeks ago, my best time from three sets was 64.86
Last week, I did on in 41.51

I'm hoping to do it under 40 seconds this week. And no, that's not particularly fast. As a 67-year old who's had more heart attacks than Redd Foxx, though, I'll take it.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a good workout.  At 67 you are definitely not slowing down.  Keep grinding!
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tradhntr:
Looks like a good workout.  At 67 you are definitely not slowing down.  Keep grinding!
View Quote

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm trying to keep it up and so far, am able to do so.

It feels great being able to work this hard at my age. I'm blessed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Neat!

I like the inclusion of strength training into cardio.  I'm sure it's more effective and, objectively, makes cardio less gay.

I may give this a shot.  Good idea.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By rob78:
Neat!

I like the inclusion of strength training into cardio.  I'm sure it's more effective and, objectively, makes cardio less gay.

View Quote

Thanks. After living through 20+ heart attacks, all I really care about is what works.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:

Thanks. After living through 20+ heart attacks, all I really care about is what works.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Neat!

I incorporate walking, weighted lunges into my workout.  Leg day is tuesday, but I do the lunges on Friday because they're exhausting.

Some recent articles have popped up claiming that sprints are most effective at burning visceral body fat.  

By incorporating weights, you can add a strength component to the sprint.  

So all joking aside, I like your workout idea.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#6]

I incorporate walking, weighted lunges into my workout.  Leg day is tuesday, but I do the lunges on Friday because they're exhausting.

Some recent articles have popped up claiming that sprints are most effective at burning visceral body fat.  

By incorporating weights, you can add a strength component to the sprint.  

So all joking aside, I like your workout idea.
View Quote

Good for you! Thanks for the information on burning visceral fat, since that's my biggest goal. I've been avoiding lunges for fear of wrecking my knees but my trainer is going to get me started on them with proper form next week. She's going to move me off of cable resistance machines and into Olympic lifting this week too. She used the term "big weights" more than once. Very scary.

Today is my "accessory workout" day. Battle ropes, pull ropes, stair-master, and then a big finish with Farmer's Wind Sprints.

Thanks for the encouragement, too. The wind sprints are hard but the way I see it, the harder I work, the longer I get to live.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#7]

I'm terrified to add any weight to a sprint or run...

I just started playing with farmers carry though.

Regarding the visceral fat: I've had CT scans twice a year for the past 5 years. In the last year I changed my diet and started lifting and sprinting. No "cardio" what so ever. On my last followup I asked the doc if he can see visceral fat and if so let's go back and measure from years ago and now (at the time it occured).  It was a hasty measure on the screen images but I had lost about 60% of my visceral fat. I had also lost 50 lbs over all at that point.

So in my ad hoc study of one...  weight training and sprints do indeed reduce visceral fat.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By markl32:

I'm terrified to add any weight to a sprint or run...

I just started playing with farmers carry though.

Regarding the visceral fat: I've had CT scans twice a year for the past 5 years. In the last year I changed my diet and started lifting and sprinting. No "cardio" what so ever. On my last followup I asked the doc if he can see visceral fat and if so let's go back and measure from years ago and now (at the time it occured).  It was a hasty measure on the screen images but I had lost about 60% of my visceral fat. I had also lost 50 lbs over all at that point.

So in my ad hoc study of one...  weight training and sprints do indeed reduce visceral fat.
View Quote

Well done! Good for you!

I's a few years into my fitness journey and did a ton of core and back work before I even started thinking about anything like this. I'd still be recovering from back injuries if I had tried to do this three or four years ago.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Well done! Good for you!

I's a few years into my fitness journey and did a ton of core and back work before I even started thinking about anything like this. I'd still be recovering from back injuries if I had tried to do this three or four years ago.
View Quote

Right back at 'ya!  

I'm a few years behind you in age and on the fitness journey. I love reading stuff like this. Totally motivates me.

My sister actually said to me "geeze Mark, you look like your getting younger..."  

Yea. That's the point sis.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:51:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cascade-Dude] [#10]
Originally Posted By markl32:

Right back at 'ya!  

I'm a few years behind you in age and on the fitness journey. I love reading stuff like this. Totally motivates me.

My sister actually said to me "geeze Mark, you look like your getting younger..."  

Yea. That's the point sis.
View Quote

Don't ya just love positive feedback! I know I do.

My wife joined me in getting healthier about 18 months ago. She's lost 60 pounds and looks great ... not that I ever stopped loving her one bit, or her, me. She said to me the other day, "All our friends look older than us."

I feel younger too. When I was 55 years old and 350 pounds, I felt old every time I moved. Not so much anymore. As the weather improves, I'm getting more and more eager to get out into the most beautiful mountains in America (North Cascades), starting about 6 miles up the highway to the east. I like being fit but I especially like the things I can do now that I couldn't do before. I tell people all the time, "If I can do this, anyone can."

I am also motivated by your success. And that of many, many others. Rock on!

Lake Surprise, just about one year ago.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top