Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2024 4:58:28 PM EDT
For certain lab work, they want patients in a fasting state. Typically the advice is 8-12 hours before the appointment.

However, I read that fasting too long can cause inaccurate results. Several websites claim fasting more than 16 hours can skew the numbers. However, none of them say how it would affect them or even which blood test results may be impacted.

What does GD say? Is fasting too long before an annual physical a real issue or one of those internet rumors?

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#1]
See also: Feldman Protocal.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#2]
They say 8-12 hours because most people can barely make it from one meal to the next.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RogerBall:
See also: Feldman Protocal.
View Quote

Well... that was an interesting rabbit hole. Thank you for that.

I don't think it answers the question, though, since the Feldman protocol is a multi-day process which someone is unlikely to accidentally perform during routine fasting for blood work.

I don't think Cycolac answered the question either. Granted, many Americans have difficulty fasting much longer than overnight, unless they grew up fasting for religious or cultural reasons. However, in that case, saying "at least eight hours" would be sufficient guidance. Particularly if there's no diagnostic concerns should they fast 16+ hours.

Suppose someone does intermittent fasting. Would it throw off any blood work if they have a doctor appointment at noon and their previous meal was around 6-8pm the prior evening? If so, what's the potential error?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I have gone several days without food with no abnormal swings in the numbers. Even glucose levels out. I get regular blood work as it every month or so. I am in the CC system and can recall graphs with years of data and when you compare the numbers when things are working right its stable when something is off it shows up. The only thing that can get janky is if you are a heavy drinker.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of places no longer require fasting for a lot of tests. Of course, I found this out after I had been fasting for 12 hours...lol
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:23:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm type 2 and have fasted for days at a time before. There's a point were I've depleted the glycogen from my muscles that my liver really starts to dump glucose. When this happens my blood sugar will go up even though I haven't eaten.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bayouhazard:
For certain lab work, they want patients in a fasting state. Typically the advice is 8-12 hours before the appointment.

However, I read that fasting too long can cause inaccurate results. Several websites claim fasting more than 16 hours can skew the numbers. However, none of them say how it would affect them or even which blood test results may be impacted.

What does GD say? Is fasting too long before an annual physical a real issue or one of those internet rumors?

View Quote

Per Dr Berry, yes, there is such a thing as fasting too long.

8-12 hours is idea for blood work. More than 14 hours fasted and I think physiological processes change enough to alter the result of bloodwork.  IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By unseenSNIPER:

Per Dr Berry, yes, there is such a thing as fasting too long.

8-12 hours is idea for blood work. More than 14 hours fasted and I think physiological processes change enough to alter the result of bloodwork.  IIRC.
View Quote

That's the claim I see online but I can't find details on what markers are affected and whether they're false highs or false lows.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#9]
When I was in the Army, it was always fast 24 hours before a blood draw. After I retired, the doctors says 12 hours.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Sometimes the lab fucks up and tells you that you are dying, usually right at closing on Friday night.  They redo the labs on Monday and say "nevermind".

It wasn't caused by fasting time.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TODD-67:
I have gone several days without food with no abnormal swings in the numbers. Even glucose levels out. I get regular blood work as it every month or so. I am in the CC system and can recall graphs with years of data and when you compare the numbers when things are working right its stable when something is off it shows up. The only thing that can get janky is if you are a heavy drinker.
View Quote
Yeah, don't get a blood draw after a huge weekend party.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Yeah, don't get a blood draw after a huge weekend party.
View Quote
Made that mistake before lol. Triglycerides were off the charts.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Another thing too, my Eurologist said to abstain from "sexual release" for at lest two weeks prior to the visit so they can do a really good DRE
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Hmmmm.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By midcap:
Another thing too, my Eurologist said to abstain from "sexual release" for at lest two weeks prior to the visit so they can do a really good DRE
View Quote

I'm in the USA so I don't need a Eurologist.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope. If you go longer than 12 hours it ain't going to show any difference.

I normally do 14-15 hours fasting for blood work. That's  is based on my work schedule and when the appointments are available go to the lab.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#19]
What does it change if you have Coffee with milk and sugar 2 hours before??
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Buzz69:

View All Quotes

I piss off alot of people at work.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Yup.  
During my second pregnancy they sprung the glucose tolerance test on me a few weeks early. I had been sick and hadn’t eaten in about 18 hours.  Nurse said it wouldn’t matter.  I failed the 1 hour by a few points.

I go to take the 3 hour test and was chatting with that nurse and told her about the first test.  She said that absolutely could throw off the test. I passed the 3 hour with really good results. I was pissed I had to give up 3 hours to take that test when I could have passed the 1 hour if I had taken it at my next appointment.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AR18:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR18:

lol
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#23]
A couple years  ago I went for blood work.  Reception asked me if I fasted. I said yes, about 15 hrs. She told me it was too long and to only do 8-12 hrs.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Christ , he laid that one up for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top