Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2024 12:56:12 AM EDT
Is 40mm too small these days for a tool watch?
considering a GMT II but the 40mm size has me a bit concerned. My other watches are 41mm at the smallest and others 42-43mm. I know it's a small difference, but a difference no less.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 2:18:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BePhreed] [#1]
The difference between 40 and 43 is significant. What is you wrist size and what are the circumstances in which you'll most regularly wear it? Setting and dress are important factors. Unless you have a huge wrist, 40mm is, more often that not, too large. I swing from 32 - 40. Yesterday I wore a 1675, today a wartime A-11. I, for the record, have a relatively small wrist, but think that most people wear watches much too large and, as such, look ridiculous. The equivalent of wearing an oversized suit. It can be of the nicest make, but if it fits poorly, it looks awful.

ETA: Reference makes a difference as well. A contemporary GMT II wears a hell of a lot larger than a a 16710.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 2:39:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Newnimprovedusername] [#2]
My current rotation consists of watches ranging from 38-43mm. I find it a little jarring at first if I switch from say one of the largest to one of the smallest or vice versa but after a while on my wrist it just ends up looking right and I stop thinking about it.

ETA: I actually prefer the classic look of the 40mm Rolex sport models to the newer ones. I wore a 16610 Sub for years and regularly swapped it with smaller/larger watches without it negatively affecting my enjoyment of wearing it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 4:07:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#3]
Heard the term tool watch, but never really understood the true meaning of it. If you mean a functional beater, I prefer smaller around 37-38mm.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 6.5" wrist and prefer 36mm to 40mm max for any watch type.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#5]
8" wrist size
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#6]
My wrist swells and contracts a lot during the days and weeks. Mainly depending on my workout schedule. For me, I'm anywhere from 7" at the smallest to 8" when I'm really inflamed.

I like larger watches. The current trend is smaller I think. I'm not a trendy guy though.

My biggest is a 44 and I find it really comfortable and enjoyable. My stable is a 41, 42, 43, and 44. I have a vintage GMT that's 38 and a vintage Speedmaster that I don't know what it is. Fine watches but they feel too small anymore.

I'm kind of considering watching the older generation of Breitlings in 46 and waiting for them to plummet since that size isn't en vogue.  46 may be my limit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 03PSD:
8" wrist size
View Quote

You can do a bigger watch then, no prob.

The explorer 2 is a 42 btw as I think is the yachmaster, if you want a larger Rolex.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I tend to stay in the 38-42mm range.  I have a 7 in wrist.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 7.25” wrists and 40-41 is my sweet spot. That being said, if it’s too thick (> 14mm), it’ll definitely not be comfortable/wearable no matter the diameter.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#10]
41-45mm is my preferred range with a real sweet spot at 43-44mm
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:59:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottfire1957] [#11]
Some of my 60/70's vintage watches are mid 30 mm.  I have them in my rotation and don't worry about it.

Have you ever noted that somebody's watch was too small for the task at hand?  I haven't.

In other words, buy and wear what you want.  Use the "correct" size when around those that concern themselves with such.  To be sure, one of the things you'll never hear me say is "your watch is too small."

Oh yeah, my wrist is 7 1/2 or so.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By scottfire1957:
Some of my 60/70's vintage watches are mid 30 mm.  I have them in my rotation and don't worry about it.

Have you ever noted that somebody's watch was too small for the task at hand?  I haven't.

In other words, buy and wear what you want.  Use the "correct" size when around those that concern themselves with such.  To be sure, one of the things you'll never hear me say is "your watch is too small."

Oh yeah, my wrist is 7 1/2 or so.
View Quote

While I may not say anything I definitely notice when a watch is either way too small or way too large in my opinion for the wearer’s wrist.

Wear what you want for sure, but part of the watch game is aesthetics… a HUGE part of the game.

Somebody wearing a 36mm Rolex on an 8 inch wrist is more of a turnoff to me than somebody wearing a properly fitting $100 Orient.

If a guy walks into a meeting wearing a Size 54L suit when he is a 42R, or a 46R when he should be wearing a 54L do you think… well he is clothed, how the clothes fit doesn’t matter. You don’t need a custom tailored bespoke suit, but it should fit reasonably well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:24:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

While I may not say anything I definitely notice when a watch is either way too small or way too large in my opinion for the wearer’s wrist.

Wear what you want for sure, but part of the watch game is aesthetics… a HUGE part of the game.

Somebody wearing a 36mm Rolex on an 8 inch wrist is more of a turnoff to me than somebody wearing a properly fitting $100 Orient.

If a guy walks into a meeting wearing a Size 54L suit when he is a 42R, or a 46R when he should be wearing a 54L do you think… well he is clothed, how the clothes fit doesn’t matter. You don’t need a custom tailored bespoke suit, but it should fit reasonably well.
View Quote

Well, I guess you would be one of those that concern yourself with such, as far as watches go, and OP should wear the correct size in your presence.

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:33:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Well, I guess you would be one of those that concern yourself with such, as far as watches go, and OP should wear the correct size in your presence.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

Since reading isn’t your strong suit I’ll repeat.

Wear what you want. But to think that nobody will notice and have an opinion is foolish.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#15]
My personal watch truths.

40-41mm is the sweet spot for me.  I also prefer a shorter lug to lug and 20 or 22mm straps.  Thinner is always better and lighter is good also. Good AR coating on the crystal is great too.

Watchmakers who don’t drill their lugs or provide quick release spring bars should be publicly flogged.  

Watchmakers who build watches with 19mm or 21mm lug spacing should be shot.

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Watches have gotten ridiculously large. The equivalent of clown shoes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I just cannot get a 126660 DSSD out of my mind. It's 44mm but it's thick also. I think with my 8" wrist and infrequent need to wear a buttoned sleeve shirt I can rock it well. The decision to go with the all black or JC version is where I'm bogging down. I like the Jc because it's instantly identifiable. It looks like no other Rolex or any other timepiece. The classic black looks like a standard sub and every other dive watch to almost everyone. Maybe the fact that it does but actually isn't is what makes it special. The tiny fraction who know, know. I'm leaning towards the all black.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RobertL:
My personal watch truths.

40-41mm is the sweet spot for me.  I also prefer a shorter lug to lug and 20 or 22mm straps.  Thinner is always better and lighter is good also. Good AR coating on the crystal is great too.

Watchmakers who don’t drill their lugs or provide quick release spring bars should be publicly flogged.  

Watchmakers who build watches with 19mm or 21mm lug spacing should be shot.

View Quote

Lot of truth on drilled lugs and 19 and 21 lug widths.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SteveOak:
Watches have gotten ridiculously large. The equivalent of clown shoes.
View Quote

What do you define as ridiculous? For me it’s anything over 46mm. Although my Apple “Watch” (wrist iPhone) is 49mm.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#20]
7” wrist. I prefer 40-42mm
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#21]
40-43 for me.  

Thickness is a bigger issue.  

I've got a 41mm watch at 15mm thick.  It wears too damn big for me.  IMO, thick watches look comical.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#22]
7 inch wrist. Generally I like a 39mm but can go down to 36mm (Exp I) and up to a 41mm diver. Not as interested in bigger watches these days.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#23]
It’s all about the dial size for me.

I would rather have a 38mm case diver with a 30mm dial than 48mm case diver with a 30mm dial.

On the other hand, with a relatively unobtrusive crown and a reasonable height, I would be happy with a 48mm case diver with a 40mm dial.

Probably below 27mm dial I am not interested.

And, all 40mm cases do not seem the same.  Like the 16610 is a 40mm case.  So is the 116610.
But the later’s bigger crown guards and lugs make it wear much larger.  It does have a more readable dial due to bigger indices.

And the otherwise same watch at 13mm tall would be way better than 18mm tall, etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#24]
7.25 wrist here.

Anything with a rotating bezel I like from 40 to, say, 45mm.

Anything with a dress dial (no bezel ring) I prefer 34 to 38mm.  I learned that the hard way.

Link Posted: 2/16/2024 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#25]
44mm. I love my willard, duro, etc.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I guess every afrcommer is a 6 foot navy seal. I have hands that are ahem more suited for single stack guns :)
38mm is optimal form me. The rest starts to look like Im a shitty rapper with garish bling due to size difference.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:13:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MPi-KMS-72] [#27]
Originally Posted By 03PSD:
Is 40mm too small these days for a tool watch?
considering a GMT II but the 40mm size has me a bit concerned. My other watches are 41mm at the smallest and others 42-43mm. I know it's a small difference, but a difference no less.
View Quote

Too small for who? Who are you wearing a watch for? Trends come and go just like suit lapels and tie widths.  Watches got bigger and bigger "for more presence" until guys with a 7" wrist started to look like a kid wearing their Dad's watch.  If you like big watches go big. Otherwise 40 looks great on most people. I wouldn't overthink this, if you like the watch for what it is but it.  Don't sweat the "small" size.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:29:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Crazyascanbe] [#28]
40 -42 for me but I have bitch wrists

Anything bigger and people think i am in the Air Force
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#29]
If it is indeed a tool watch, how it looks on your wrist is low on the importance list.

For me, my 40mm Sea-Dweller is perfect.

However, my 44mm Panerai doesn’t look freakishly big on me either.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#30]
48-50

Anything smaller looks small on me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top