Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2024 9:22:51 AM EDT
Who is your favorite MAINSTREAM financial person? No religion and preferably no politics. I need to have someine to recommend when people ask me for a recommendation. I liked Dave Ramsey, but the show has just gotten too damn toxic for me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:24:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HappyCamel] [#1]
Ray Dalio

Eta: He's not gonna help with personal finances
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Not really mainstream but should be:  Jaspreet Singh
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I recommend Brian Preston, The Money Guy. Zero politics, non judgemental, and he offers sound advice that applies to  87% of Americans.
Money Guy
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:31:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#4]
They all suck.

You can get all the personal finance advice you need to fit on a single index card and you'd be fine. Issue is nobody wants to follow the index card because they all think they work too hard and deserve special treatment.

Personal finance isn't about math. It's really just discipline. It's a behavior problem, not because it's a mythical topic to master.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Rob Berger
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
They all suck.

You can get all the personal finance advice you need to fit on a single index card and you'd be fine. Issue is nobody wants to follow the index card because they all think they work too hard and deserve special treatment.

Personal finance isn't about math. It's really just discipline. It's a behavior problem, not because it's a mythical topic to master.
View Quote

I’m dealing with people who can be clueless about a lot of stuff. I’d rather give them the of somone who is decent.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Marie:

I’m dealing with people who can be clueless about a lot of stuff. I’d rather give them the of somone who is decent.
View Quote

I learned early on to not bother giving someone personal finance advice. They literally never follow it.

We used to give out copies of Total Money Makeover and Financial Peace. I never liked DR's show. But his books are decent enough. I don't agree with the debt snowball from a financial POV but his argument is that people are having behavior issues and the snowball figures that intonthr equation. He later released the debt avalanche which address it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#8]
midcap
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:09:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#9]
The Plain Bagel
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
midcap
View Quote

This is also a good answer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:13:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#11]
I like Charles Payne. He's nice to listen to in the truck.

But, I don't care what any of the talking heads say.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't have one.  It would be nice, I remember back in the day some people I listened to.  Seems like things have changed, however.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Send them to Fidelity or Schwab.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:48:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hulley] [#17]
Originally Posted By JoshD:
Not really mainstream but should be:  Jaspreet Singh
View Quote

The Minority Mindest
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:51:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#18]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
It actually is:  if one had to put all of their $ in a long term (equity) investment, the answer would be a mid cap ETF.

Midcaps gave the highest return/risk ratio, beating both large and small caps.

How?  They generally have returns greater than the large caps and are less risky than small caps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
midcap
This is also a good answer.
It actually is:  if one had to put all of their $ in a long term (equity) investment, the answer would be a mid cap ETF.

Midcaps gave the highest return/risk ratio, beating both large and small caps.

How?  They generally have returns greater than the large caps and are less risky than small caps.

I've been underwhelmed with Mid-Cap stocks for some time.

I'm not saying that what your saying isn't true historically, but the moves towards consolidation at the highest levels along with logistical chain advantages that larger companies have has pushed large caps into the best performing asset class post 08.

I've been hearing for years that THIS is the year mid cap out paces large cap, and it just hasn't happened.  Even this year my mid cap fund only BRIEFLY outpaced the S&P 500 and its one of the top midcap funds this year.

I WANT there to be more competition, but without breaking up a lot of the big players it's going to be a challenge for smaller companies to truly break out as a whole.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#19]
White Board
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I've always liked Maria Bartiromo. Been listening to her since her days on the floor of the NYSE.

The Money Honey
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Marie:
Who is your favorite MAINSTREAM financial person? No religion and preferably no politics. I need to have someine to recommend when people ask me for a recommendation. I liked Dave Ramsey, but the show has just gotten too damn toxic for me.
View Quote

Why do you need to recommend someone? Are you an elder or councilor?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
They all suck.
View Quote

Concur. They're cheerleaders for the dying financial system with Kramer being about the worse.

Anyone who is good gets censored & isn't invited on TV.  I turned off the telly decades ago and read books (yeah, most boring man on GD).

You can find these two on U-toob

Danielle DiMartino Booth, Masters in Economics who spend seven years at the Dallas Fed before getting her PhD and author of Fed Up.
Nomi Prins - author of several books including All The Presidents' Bankers and It Takes A Pillage and several other books.

I don't know how often he shows up if at all on the MSM, but Jim Rickards is very good too and I have his books.

Recommended reading:  Karl Denninger's Leverage.  Adam Ferguson's While Money Dies.  

Remind your friends of this:  The stock market is not an indication of the strength of the economy.  Apart from the Presidential Working Group on Financial Matters (aka: Plunge Protection Team), it's buoyed with newly created cash from the Fed Res (brrrrrrrrr! ----- it allows for stock buyback and it's the last sale price that makes all other shares go up concurrently) and goes towards perception management (I'm richer on paper!  I'm richer on paper!).  While reality is important, perception of reality is what people respond to.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Not “a” guy but Unusual whales. “A” guy would be QuiverQuantitative.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top