Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2023 7:30:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kallnojoy]
Any drummers or musicians want to offer feedback/tips/suggestions for my son?

He's 13, self-taught/dad-coached until about 3 months ago when I got him in with a local drummer.

Played djembe and cajone (also self-taught) for several years before making the jump over to a kit in the last year or two.

He also plays around with the piano and guitar a bit.

He's a big Neal Peart fan, despite my best attempts at getting him into Bonzo...  (he does want an acrylic acoustic kit, so there is hope!)

He only recently started trying to cover stuff - and cannon-balled into Freewill as his first Rush song.

These vids are just him knocking around and posted as unlisted, nothing polished/edited/etc - just sharing w/friends and family.

First link is a 1 minute segment of Freewill his instructor shared today: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=709843440578238

Next is him on his home franken-e-kit also covering Freewill:

Any feedback appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Not bad for 13 . Keep it up .
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Kid has some power, best thing for him will be to play with some local cover bands to get a feel for what it’s like to be in a band and work with other musicians. And as it was told to me by a rather famous drummer, the single most important thing for a drummer in rock music is the ability to keep perfect time.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]

That’s awesome man. Not a drummer but it sounds impressive to me. I’m a big rush fan and I’ve played musical instruments my whole life, if that means anything to you. For being 13, he’s on the right path.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
His timing drifts a tiny bit, but otherwise seems like he's killing it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 4banger:
View Quote
Thanks for the responses so far.

Timing in freewill is seriously difficult - Neil has a lot of time sig changes throughout.

I did rip a decent audio track off the daw from one of his sessions that is pretty decent and shows off the cover much better.  I need to sync it to him playing - but these vids were just random grabs, not his best takes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mgwantob:
Kid has some power, best thing for him will be to play with some local cover bands to get a feel for what it's like to be in a band and work with other musicians. And as it was told to me by a rather famous drummer, the single most important thing for a drummer in rock music is the ability to keep perfect time.
View Quote
This. Always this.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By thawntex:
This. Always this.
View Quote

I think he plays really well, especially at his age and for how long he has been playing.  Keep encouraging him, especially if you are a guitar or bass player.  :)  I love e-drums for practicing, but they are basically triggers for the sampled drums.  You really should get him an acoustic set and good hearing protection.  He can use the e-drums when he needs to practice and keep the noise level down.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Neil Peart was hands down the best drummer of all time and my biggest motivation. He's starting on the right foot (pun) for sure if that's his idol. He's a bit ahead on tempo there.
Played in Keg Party bands thru HS and even had some groupies! That's a great kit for sure. I hope he has a double bass pedal back there!
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#9]
As a retired drummer of 30 years (toured and recorded with multiple bands) I'll say he's doing really well. I would suggest him playing along with a click track or at least practicing rudiments with a metronome. If he could join the school's drum line that would be beneficial with his timing as well. As mentioned previously his timing/tempo gets off at times. He's rushing with his fills which is super common even with professionals. Everyone does it. Just has to breathe and relax through the fill. Kid has a lot of potential and you should post more of his videos.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GunnyFitz:
That's a great kit for sure. I hope he has a double bass pedal back there!
View Quote

First thing I was going to post...If he hasn't started, get him started with a double bass pedal.  I wish I would have had one when I played regularly.
Second, you mentioned your son has played other instruments; does he play in middle/jr. high band at all?  Read music?
Encourage opportunities to play in front of audiences.  My first performance behind a kit was jr. high jazz band in 7th grade.  By 8th grade, I was sneaking extra fills and licks in besides what was on the sheet music.  By 10th grade we were garage band superstars in our own minds playing Rage, Black Sabbath, Green Day, etc. for 5 people on friday nights.
I was blessed to have an amazing pair of band instructors in jr. high and high school, both whom didn't just "put up" with percussionists, but made sure that we were all experienced on a wide range of instruments.  Timpani, marimba, vibraphone, etc.  We also had a really good drumline coach that assisted and spent a lot of time with us in the drum room working on various stick techniques, many of which crossed over from marching snare to my trap kit playing.

25+ years later I still occasionally sit in with the church band, and now my 12 year old daughter is sitting in "chair 1" out of 12 kids in the 6th grade band.  She's getting an electronic drum set for christmas, and has started playing some marching snare as well.
Tell your son to keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#11]
My first thought is that I wish my Rolland kit had that many cymbals! LOL

Second thought is that a lot of the shorter fills should be "roughs", not single-stroke. Seems like he has those Peart paradiddles down, though.

Third thought is I wish I was that good when I was 13 (I'd only been playing a year at that age was was a KISS freak).

Keep encouraging him, OP. He's doing great!
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks again for all the input.

On the kit topic... he now has 3 kits.

These things seem to multiply on their own - and i'll admit to having fun playing drum tech.

His main e-kit in the basement:
  • modules: 10 port Audiofront eDRUMin, Alesis Command (about to be swapped out for an 8 port eDRUMin)
  • midi out to a mac m2 running Reaper for the DAW and EZDrummer 3 as VST plugins
  • Scarlet 2i2 audio interface
  • main snare is a Roland triggered vintage Slingerland artist model (same model Neil said he started on)
  • 10" Alesis side snare
  • (7) Toms of various sized Alesis (10" floor)
  • base drum is an Alesis 8" kick tower with DW 5000 (blackout) double pedals
  • Cymbals are a mix of 3 zone Lemons, Alesis and Donners
  • Hi-hat is a 2 pad Lemon on a cheap stand (he's getting a DW 5000 hi-hat stand for his upcoming birthday)
  • ear-pro are Vic Firth v2s (wears even when playing the e-kit)
  • amp is an Alesis Strike 12"
He has a smaller "practice" ekit in his room, which mimics a standard 5 piece kit, with Alesis pads but with a Lemon module in order to support 3 zone cymbals.

He also has the beginnings of a basic acoustic kit - with some cheap/used gammon shells.  I had converted it to be triggered, but decided to revert it back since he needs some time on acoustic outside of the lessons.   It has a set of Zildjian ZBTs for cymbals/hi-hat and a DW5000 single kick pedal.

Sounds/looks excessive typing it all out - but we started simple (basic Alesis Surge) and only added/swapped when a piece of kit became a limitation.  I also aggressively shop the used markets and got most of everything above for pennies on the dollar - refurbing/repairing/building a lot of it.

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#13]
On a few other points raised:

He does read sheet music.  Learned the basics of that when he started on piano and doubled down when he started getting passionate about drumming.

He has an account on Drumeo and uses their drumless tracks in parallel with the drum scores to practice - it's what is normally up on the second monitor on his main kit.

His instructor is working to coordinate some jam sessions between the students across the different instruments, so I'm looking forward to that.  We are looking into band - and he does have a set of quads to knock around on in the meantime.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ArGyLe64:
As a retired drummer of 30 years (toured and recorded with multiple bands) I'll say he's doing really well. I would suggest him playing along with a click track or at least practicing rudiments with a metronome. If he could join the school's drum line that would be beneficial with his timing as well. As mentioned previously his timing/tempo gets off at times. He's rushing with his fills which is super common even with professionals. Everyone does it. Just has to breathe and relax through the fill. Kid has a lot of potential and you should post more of his videos.
View Quote
@ArGyLe64

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement - I've shared it with him.  (and all the other posters input as well)

Here's a rough grab of him covering Foo Fighters My Hero - again just an informal play-through during a lesson that I videoed.  Not a terribly challenging song, other that some interesting kick sequences  - but a fun cover none-the-less.

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:
@ArGyLe64

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement - I've shared it with him.  (and all the other posters input as well)

Here's a rough grab of him covering Foo Fighters My Hero - again just an informal play-through during a lesson that I videoed.  Not a terribly challenging song, other that some interesting kick sequences  - but a fun cover none-the-less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0idRc8T_ds
View Quote

Very good. Taylor Hawkins was a great drummer. Have him listen to The Strokes. Their drummer, Fabrizio Moretti, is a human metronome. I didn't start playing with a click track until I was about 26 and it changed my life. All the rockstars do it (they have to with samplings pre-recorded intros in their songs) and there is no shame in that game. You're kiddo is doing great.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:
Thanks again for all the input.

On the kit topic... he now has 3 kits.

These things seem to multiply on their own - and i'll admit to having fun playing drum tech.

His main e-kit in the basement:
  • modules: 10 port Audiofront eDRUMin, Alesis Command (about to be swapped out for an 8 port eDRUMin)
  • midi out to a mac m2 running Reaper for the DAW and EZDrummer 3 as VST plugins
  • Scarlet 2i2 audio interface
  • main snare is a Roland triggered vintage Slingerland artist model (same model Neil said he started on)
  • 10" Alesis side snare
  • (7) Toms of various sized Alesis (10" floor)
  • base drum is an Alesis 8" kick tower with DW 5000 (blackout) double pedals
  • Cymbals are a mix of 3 zone Lemons, Alesis and Donners
  • Hi-hat is a 2 pad Lemon on a cheap stand (he's getting a DW 5000 hi-hat stand for his upcoming birthday)
  • ear-pro are Vic Firth v2s (wears even when playing the e-kit)
  • amp is an Alesis Strike 12"
He has a smaller "practice" ekit in his room, which mimics a standard 5 piece kit, with Alesis pads but with a Lemon module in order to support 3 zone cymbals.

He also has the beginnings of a basic acoustic kit - with some cheap/used gammon shells.  I had converted it to be triggered, but decided to revert it back since he needs some time on acoustic outside of the lessons.   It has a set of Zildjian ZBTs for cymbals/hi-hat and a DW5000 single kick pedal.

Sounds/looks excessive typing it all out - but we started simple (basic Alesis Surge) and only added/swapped when a piece of kit became a limitation.  I also aggressively shop the used markets and got most of everything above for pennies on the dollar - refurbing/repairing/building a lot of it.

View Quote

I only ever had one kit from when I was 6 until I was 31. A 1964 Ludwig silver glitter 4 piece. It was my dad's that was handed down to me. I used Zildjian A Customs in the studio and Z Customs on tour.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ArGyLe64:

I only ever had one kit from when I was 6 until I was 31. A 1964 Ludwig silver glitter 4 piece. It was my dad's that was handed down to me. I used Zildjian A Customs in the studio and Z Customs on tour.
View Quote

Beware the man who only has one gun drum, he probably knows how to use it.

That's a pretty nice kit then and more so now...

My son's multiple kits happened more from spare parts laying around that morphed into complete kits, as well as the need for a second kit located elsewhere as we home school and also work from home, so noise management is a challenge if he wants to be able to drum at will.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#18]
A few excerpts of Blinks "First Date"

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#19]
He's been working on his "Bonham Doubles"...  Led Zeppelin's - Good Times Bad Times

Audio synced from the DAW (Reaper w/EZDrummer VSTs) to the video.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:53:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Instructor paired him up with a student guitarist for an improv RHCP Under the Bridge cover tonight.

Not a lot going on drum wise, but he had a blast just jamming with others.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#21]
He should practice to a click track.  It will not only help him develop time but it will showcase what the "greats" did with tempo dynamics (something sorely missing in modern music with mostly shit drummers, sample replacement, quantizing, etc.).
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:15:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Another impromptu jam session.  Got a call on Sunday "can you cover a Seether tune on Tuesday?"

Not bad for never having heard of the band or song prior...

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#23]
If only that song was a Seether tune. Thats a George Michaels song from the early 80's
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#24]
LOL I was gonna say!  Though off the top of my head I would have thought it was Wham!.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:56:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kallnojoy] [#25]
Originally Posted By Goostoff:
If only that song was a Seether tune. Thats a George Michaels song from the early 80's
View Quote

yeah, why Seether covered that I'll never know, but they did.  

The other drummer my son filled in for was a girl - and she picked the song.

Pretty blah from a drumming perspective.

He's wrapping up 46 and 2 now... So I'll share that in a bit.  

ETA:   this is the Seether cover he was covering....

Seether - Careless Whisper (Official Audio)

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:38:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Now 46and2 I can get behind.  I cant wait for that video.

Seether has become a horible cover band, and I dont think it will work out for them like it did for Van Halen.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:47:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambright] [#27]
Awesome, he should keep it up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Nothing more fun than doing music stuff with the kids and seeing them grow in it. I'm always bragging here .
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 4banger:
View Quote

I agree with this.

Overall, he is killing it. There was most definitely some parts that were rushed (pun intended) and other parts that lagged a bit.

That comes with just playing. I've been a guitar player for 25 years but my brother has played drums (with me) that entire time, so I have a decent ear for drums.

Neal is not an easy drummer to replicate. Definitely good to play if he wants to work on his timing. Danny Carey is another one who play ridiculous timing.

Again, he is good. Really good for 13. Hope he sticks with it!
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:30:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Pretty damn good keep with it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:55:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Get him working on heel-toe technique. It'll speed up his foot work in a big, big way (double kick will be so fast, you won't believe it).

Bonham uses it on the high-hat section in the middle of "Whole Lotta Love" giving a very unique sound to the hats (you'll know what I mean when you hear it).

And also have him start quads/trips with his left hand - and then, learn to alternate. That's why Bonham's trips (live Moby Dick in particular) are so hard to duplicate. His fucking rudiments were off the hook.

And good on you for supporting his playing, OP - and getting him set up, as you have!

Good dad, right there!
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:
Get him working on heel-toe technique. It'll speed up his foot work in a big, big way (double kick will be so fast, you won't believe it).

Bonham uses it on the high-hat section in the middle of "Whole Lotta Love" giving a very unique sound to the hats (you'll know what I mean when you hear it).

And also have him start quads/trips with his left hand - and then, learn to alternate. That's why Bonham's trips (live Moby Dick in particular) are so hard to duplicate. His fucking rudiments were off the hook.

And good on you for supporting his playing, OP - and getting him set up, as you have!

Good dad, right there!
View Quote

If he wants to get into extreme metal yea which I'm all for, but I thought that was really only for fast double bass. There's also the left to right shaking technique for getting two hits on each foot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks again for all the input and feedback - I've been passing it on.  

46 and 2 is close - he's wrapping up the last of the solo piece now and should be ready for a play through soon.

As for the double pedal work - he's actually pretty tight with it already, at least from a sustained speed and rhythm perspective.

He got turned on to Tomas Haake w/Meshuggah a few months back and put the time in to figuring out how to play "Bleed", etc.  Meshuggah isn't really my thing (or his), but he's good about looking past the "music" to appreciate the musician and Haake is a beast on the kick.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#34]
A little delayed on wrapping up 46 and 2, he was asked to join a jam for Foo's Monkey Wrench.
This is just a raw grab from my cam - they did mike up for this session so there should be a better audio cut later.

This isn't his current state on 46 and 2, but a few weeks back during a lesson before he worked out the rest of the solo:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top