Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2024 6:19:01 PM EDT
I understand the problems with printing with wet/damp filaments.  Although I haven't see many of the effects firsthand, I haven't ventured far from the more forgiving filament types.   But I am interested in doing more experimenting with other types of filament but I don't see value in experimenting if I go into it with inappropriate or incorrect setups or configurations.  

So looking at filaments like ASA, PA-CF, TPU, PC, etc they all show that drying the filament is required.   But the drying temps are generally in the 75C through 130C range.   Looking at dryers, I don't see any of them going above 70C.  

So what are people using to dry their filaments?   Is 70C enough?   Or are you doing something else?

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never seen drying temps that high with even semi exotic filaments.

Look at the Sunlu S4 or smaller models from them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:04:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TODD-67] [#2]
Most filament dryers for the 3d printing market are made from plastic so the manufacturers don't risk having that much heat in them. They rely on time to work. 70C is really low for nylons and some others but if time isn't a constraint they will work.

In plastics processing at injection molders or extruder is much higher to dry the pelletized material faster.

You can always get a heated dehydrator that goes to about 90C short of that you would need an oven.

Keeping it somewhat dry and just using a dryer to knock it down a few percent is good practice.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:10:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rat_Patrol] [#3]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
I've never seen drying temps that high with even semi exotic filaments.

Look at the Sunlu S4 or smaller models from them.
View Quote

I am not arguing.   I don't have enough experience on the topic to do so.  

I am running a Bambu Labs X1C and I have stuck with Bambu Labs filaments as much as I can just to establish a base frame of reference.   I figure their profiles are probably tuned for their filaments.   Anyway, here is where I am see the temps that I am describing:

https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/filament-acc/filament/dry-filament

But if real world people are getting good results without resorting to those temps then that is good news and it simplifies a lot of the process.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:56:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#5]
Originally Posted By 2Hut8:

I am not arguing.   I don't have enough experience on the topic to do so.  

I am running a Bambu Labs X1C and I have stuck with Bambu Labs filaments as much as I can just to establish a base frame of reference.   I figure their profiles are probably tuned for their filaments.   Anyway, here is where I am see the temps that I am describing:

https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/filament-acc/filament/dry-filament

But if real world people are getting good results without resorting to those temps then that is good news and it simplifies a lot of the process.  

Thanks.
View Quote

Safe to say 99%, and probably 99.9% of people will never print with PPA or PPS filament. It's engineering grade filament that is beyond what most people deal with (seeing ad it is $150-200/kg). Most filaments are dried at much lower Temps.

I'd not worry about those guys and their drying requirements. If you ever get that far along you can get a calibrated oven of sorts. For everything else, a decent filament dryer will do fine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I use cheap food dehydrators. Just takes longer.
I don't do this for a business though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:37:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Klee] [#7]
I bought a Sunlu S1 a couple of weeks ago, under $50.00.

I set the temp to 45-50c for PLA like the manual says.

Put a couple of rolls of CF PETG in it just to dry them and set the temp to ~53c overnight.

Seems to make my prints more consistent but I live in a high humidity area.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:22:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Klee:

https://i.imgur.com/XWVRMMx.jpg

Put a couple of rolls of CF PETG in it just to dry them and set the temp to ~53c overnight.

View Quote

How are you getting a couple rolls of filament in a Sunlu S1 ?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
I’ll be listing 2 NIB S4’s on the EE soon.
View Quote

What's wrong with you!?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By maggiethecat:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maggiethecat:
Originally Posted By Klee:

https://i.imgur.com/XWVRMMx.jpg

One at a time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Tholo:
I use cheap food dehydrators. Just takes longer.
I don't do this for a business though.
View Quote

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kwasyo-8-Layers-Food-Dehydrator-Beef-Jerky-Dryer-ALL-Stainless-Steel-Overheat-Protection-Timer-Temperature-Settings-Dehydrators-Fruit-Vegetable-Meat/629438682?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101094676

Dehydrator that go to 90c are available and work better. The one above only goes to 85c but a little searching you can find then up to 90c.

I would not waste my money on the Sunlu units. The quality is hit and miss. I have a couple early ones and a newer s1. The S1 worked for about a week before shutting the bed. One of the originals lasted about a year and the other still works but I don't use it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:01:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#13]
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
I’ll be listing 2 NIB S4’s on the EE soon.
View Quote

Without shitting on your EE post, what made you decide to off them?  I have some single roll dryers, I was just thinking about buying an S4.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top