Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/19/2024 2:09:41 PM EDT
I say "finally" because I've been on the fence over buying one for YEARS LOL!! This makes vette #7. Normally it's a vette every year or so - or sometimes we have two at the same time (one for the wifey too)...but the last one was what many would consider a KEEPER...a 2017 C7 Z06 7-speed *manual*...a 650 HP/650 lb ft torque BEAST of raw energy!! But it's been 7 years, ready for something new. I used to road race professionally so having a "street beast" really never meant that much to me (rather be on a track in a proper tube frame race car than taking a chance).

Well, the wifey had left ankle reconstructive surgery back in October and she hasn't driven the Z06 since...actually I haven't either, other than firing it up every now and then and moving it around the garage (on the battery tender too)...so...we bought wifey a 2024 Chevy 1500 High Country 4x4 truck a week or so ago (got rid of the Denali 4x4 dually, don't need a 1-ton "rides like a dumptruck" truck any more)...oh, got any vettes? Well, I've got this orange convertible Z51....really? Let's take a look...I loved it...couldn't get her to jump...oh well, a few days later it's gone (found out a buddy bought it! small world?!). So, I do some searching...I boil it down to either Orange or else the Carbon Flash Metallic...also, the "must have" list: HTC (hard top convertible), 3LT, Z51, front lift, mag ride, gray / black wheels, etc...I find a beauty of a 70th Anniversary Edition that checks ALL the boxes and it's Carbon Flash Metallic (the other available color for the 70th is a really cool pearl white). Anyway, it's in the garage! Love it! The HTC is the best of both worlds (previous convertibles were soft tops) and it's got a different look to it with the nacelles behind driver and passenger.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#3]
EIGHT VETTES?????

How many pairs of New Balance shoes and jean shorts does that equal?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AugustineBolishbatfe:
EIGHT VETTES?????

View Quote
Must be one heluva lawyer or doctor.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The real question is what over retail market value did you pay?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a humble brag thread!
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice! I bought mine when they first came out, 2020. Ordered and waited 9 months to get it. I’ve had 5 Corvettes, the only difference is I still have them all.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Does a McLaren GT look like a C8, or the other way around?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:55:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#9]
Nice looking cars.  I really wanted one, as I already have the jorts, gray hairs, and New Balance shoes to really pull it off.  Wife made me spend the money on a new diesel truck.

Hell, wife just found a NIB pair of NB shoes in the closet, and I haven't worn the current set out.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:57:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#10]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dopple:
EIGHT VETTES?????

A blue collar business owner could easily pull it off.  Most just buy a half million dollar diesel pusher, $150000 boat, and only one corvette.  Yeah, I know a guy.....
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
A blue collar business owner could easily pull it off.  Most just buy a half million dollar diesel pusher, $150000 boat, and only one corvette.  Yeah, I know a guy.....
View Quote

LOL...sounds vaguely familiar!! I had a hell of a 37' fly bridge Carver not too long ago...a really nice Tiffin Phaeton Diesel Pusher....raced Trans Am, a smidge of NASCAR, etc...I'm just a regular guy who has done well. Neither a doc or a lawyer - but I do know a few good ones!
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BM-ARM-DPMS-guns:
Very nice! I bought mine when they first came out, 2020. Ordered and waited 9 months to get it. I’ve had 5 Corvettes, the only difference is I still have them all.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54333/46C03625-D23A-46FD-9A4F-CE8621E15EF5-1655767.jpg
View Quote

Very nice!!! Yeah, some of them were keepers, some not so much...if I had more space...I would have liked to hang on to my '13 Z06 and my '17 Z06, the others, not so much.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#13]
EIGHT VETTES?????

View Quote

LOL....sorry to disappoint....but the next will will be number EIGHT!! And Nikes and cargo shorts...better for EDC.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DoubleTaps:
The real question is what over retail market value did you pay?
View Quote

waaaaaaaay under. After buying as much (not just vettes) as I have...well, I have connections...as anyone in the same position would. Buying process for me is either a phone call or text to my usual folks and it's a quick thing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Sajer:
Not a humble brag thread!
View Quote

Trust me...I'm definitely holding back! LOL!
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:43:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Butternut] [#16]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
Oh HELL YEAH!  

Jelly! But in the best way possible.
View Quote

Thank you!! I'm having a blast!! Clay barred last night, next is ceramic.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Captain_Buddha:

Very nice!!! Yeah, some of them were keepers, some not so much...if I had more space...I would have liked to hang on to my '13 Z06 and my '17 Z06, the others, not so much.
View Quote

I’m fortunate enough to have a large barn. I’ve got a 59, 67, 69, 14 and this 20 in there.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#19]

I’m fortunate enough to have a large barn. I’ve got a 59, 67, 69, 14 and this 20 in there.
View Quote

That’s a seriously nice collection!!! I keep on noodling an older Vette…
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Noice!  They're a helluva lot of car for the money.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#21]
8 vettes, bla bla bla
I searched the couch cushions today to buy 8 tomato plants!

Who is the smarty pants now?

Tomato plants are a better investment!

Jk, congrats, nice looking car.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#23]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54333/46C03625-D23A-46FD-9A4F-CE8621E15EF5-1655767.jpg
View Quote

Your C8 has rats.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Your C8 has rats.
View Quote

Mice. But they all dead.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:27:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Butternut] [#25]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#26]
You have enough money to buy a corvette and a Denali and a new silverado????

Wow Mr, you must be so rich!!

Can I hear more of your stories of buying high trim line GM vehicles?

I'm just blown away that I finally met someone with that kind of taste and income.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:51:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BOSN1AC] [#28]
Not a fan.

No manual = Not a Vette

It’s more of an Italian Car imitation.

It’s a great sports car though. Just not a great Corvette.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Some of you motherfuckers will shit on anything. Great car OP!

Did you trade in the C7Z or keep it?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Beautiful car!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Also, IMHO Texas is a hell of a place to own that beautiful beast. The only time I visited Texas one of the big takeaways for me was how folks FLEW on the highway. I mean, I could barely keep up in the rental we had.
View Quote

Yeah...you can "try" to drive the speed limit but the normal flow of traffic is usually above...and then when you make the drive between Houston / DFW area it seems like there's a few trains of cars doing 100+ quite a bit! We have a lot of looooooooong roads here. Great for backcountry cruising whether it's a sports car, motorcycle, etc!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:
Some of you motherfuckers will shit on anything. Great car OP!

Did you trade in the C7Z or keep it?
View Quote

Right!? It just makes me laugh... LOL

I traded the C7Z, they gave me a REALLY good trade on it. I could've kept it...but it barely got driven as it was. Truthfully, I cruised around in the HMMWV more. I'm weird like that LOL!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Beautiful car!
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I love this dude's vids of him pushing American and exotics on the autobahn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq7Yh5zdR8A
View Quote

I lived there. That isn’t a good stretch for going fast. Way too much traffic.

There are sections with little traffic and wider sight lines around the area I lived.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:51:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Captain_Buddha] [#37]
Originally Posted By BOSN1AC:
Not a fan.

No manual = Not a Vette

It’s more of an Italian Car imitation.

View Quote

It gives me crazy Italian vibes, fo sure! I'm still getting used to the DCT, it's pretty crazy actually. This comes from a guy who used to race manuals. I will say that it drives very seamlessly in Auto mode. But its when you switch over to manual that you can just feel the drive forward on each gear shift. So, when I raced TA2, we had Andrews dog-ring gearboxes (same gearbox for older gen Cup Cars, XFINITY, Trucks, etc.), you barely lift between shifts (ie - you ease off from 100% throttle to maybe 50-75% and grab the next gear) and it's a *very* quick shift....no clutch, except when starting/stopping (pit stops etc). For downshifting you blip/shift at the same time. Again, *very* quick - note the video below...it's really quick...but the DCT in the Vette is much faster! I will also say that as good as I was with shifting in my C7Z it in NO way was near as quick of a shift as this DCT. The C7Z was a BLAST and a raging beast to drive though!!

Easy Pass Road America July 2022
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I love this dude's vids of him pushing American and exotics on the autobahn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq7Yh5zdR8A
View Quote

Love it!!! Sadly, the only car I've driven on the bahn was a 4-door diesel Mercedes. We did make very good time around Germany, I will say that! My observation from a week of this is that most of the sports cars were just cruising in the middle lane and the *flying* folks were in the "Eurowagons."
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Last car show I attended I ended up parked next to a group of guys with C6's and one or two C7's.

They were huddled up having a conversation as most car guys do, only they were talking about car covers and battery tenders.

Was it worth getting a cover to put over top of the factory cover to protect it, how often they needed to start the car on the tender.

Confused the hell out of me and I drive a 51 year old Camaro once or twice a week.

Imagine how terrible they'd look if they got, gasp, driven....

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By AGraham:
Last car show I attended I ended up parked next to a group of guys with C6's and one or two C7's.

They were huddled up having a conversation as most car guys do, only they were talking about car covers and battery tenders.

Was it worth getting a cover to put over top of the factory cover to protect it, how often they needed to start the car on the tender.

Confused the hell out of me and I drive a 51 year old Camaro once or twice a week.

Imagine how terrible they'd look if they got, gasp, driven....

View Quote

RIGHT?!?! I was a member of the largest (probably still is) Corvette Club - The Lone Star Corvette Club, right at 1,000 members when I joined. It was fully of *really* nice people, mostly older than my wife and I (I was 40 then). Most of them liked to do easy cruising road trips and such, along with car shows, etc...A few were into AutoX, the Big Bend Open Road Race and just a *very* tiny handful of folks were actually into HPDE / track driving and even w2w racing. I made some good friends there and one in particular helped to mentor me on my path to racing (he had an ASA/GTA car and that is also what I ended up with, that's what started my path towards pro racing).
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#42]

It gives me crazy Italian vibes, fo sure! I'm still getting used to the DCT, it's pretty crazy actually. This comes from a guy who used to race manuals. I will say that it drives very seamlessly in Auto mode. But its when you switch over to manual that you can just feel the drive forward on each gear shift. So, when I raced TA2, we had Andrews dog-ring gearboxes (same gearbox for older gen Cup Cars, XFINITY, Trucks, etc.), you barely lift between shifts (ie - you ease off from 100% throttle to maybe 50-75% and grab the next gear) and it's a *very* quick shift....no clutch, except when starting/stopping (pit stops etc). For downshifting you blip/shift at the same time. Again, *very* quick - note the video below...it's really quick...but the DCT in the Vette is much faster! I will also say that as good as I was with shifting in my C7Z it in NO way was near as quick of a shift as this DCT. The C7Z was a BLAST and a raging beast to drive though!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KllE5NQXQ8M
View Quote

I get it. From a pure sports car perspective I would buy a DCT or sequential trans sports car if I was interested in pure performance and on track. No doubt. The C8 is a marvel and I’m happy that GM built it. No way could I compete on a track with a manual.

But for the street and windy roads enjoyment, I’m a 100% C6/C7 guy.

<——- Corvette guy.

Enjoy. Congrats
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Manual transmissions are no longer a performance feature.

F1 has flappy paddles for a reason. If you want a stick then you are not performance oriented.

The corvette and like cars have no need for manual transmissions.

The C8 is the only Chevy I would ever own.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:33:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnDough] [#44]
Can you get us a 60-130 or 1/2 mile time and mph in a stock C8 pls! Curious how muh Kia compares. Noone really runs a C8 so data is absurdly scarce.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:18:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BOSN1AC] [#45]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
Manual transmissions are no longer a performance feature.

F1 has flappy paddles for a reason. If you want a stick then you are not performance oriented.

The corvette and like cars have no need for manual transmissions.

The C8 is the only Chevy I would ever own.
View Quote

Manual transmission in a sports car or muscle is a feature, not a bug.

If you’re a car guy you’d get that. It’s meant for a driving experience, and connection to the car, not to shave off seconds on a race track. You’d be stupid to compete with a manual on a track with high performance cars. Everyone knows that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By BOSN1AC:

Manual transmission in a sports car or muscle is a feature, not a bug.

If you’re a car guy you’d get that. It’s meant for a driving experience, and connection to the car, not to shave off seconds on a race track. You’d be stupid to compete with a manual on a track with high performance cars. Everyone knows that.
View Quote

Until ten years ago I never owned an automatic. Every car  I bought up until a 2003 Tahoe were sticks. Civic Si, Ford Probe Turbo GT, Jeeps, Trooper, Rodeo, Ranger etc. all stick. I even learned and drove a paper route in a stick Chevette when I was a kid. 40 years of stick shift driving and my wife drove them also.

My point is, a manual is a niche feature that has no performance advantages.

Being a car guy, I use the manual mode and paddles now. Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Sweet ride!  My wife better be glad I’m fat or I’d trade in my Mustang for one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
Sweet ride!  My wife better be glad I’m fat or I’d trade in my Mustang for one.
View Quote

Thank you! I'm on the rather large side of life myself and I fit just fine! But I think Mustangs are definitely roomier!
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#49]

Thank you! I'm on the rather large side of life myself and I fit just fine! But I think Mustangs are definitely roomier!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I am too & fit fine in my C7.   Congrats OP.  Mines a stick & why I'm keeping it.

In C8 form yes this is exactly what GM was thinking.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Awesome OP, keep living the dream!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top