Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:29:11 AM EDT
[#1]
@1srelluc could have fleeced the shit out of that widow.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:19:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Take it for a test drive, ghetto style
View Quote

Out the window of your Chrysler 300 at the local park?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:22:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By olivers_AR:

Someone failed to let a buddy know to take the guns and didn’t inform the wife of the true value.
View Quote

This.

I can't read anymore of this thread. It hurts my heart
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:51:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By QRB:
We had an old timer bring in a live STG-45 in pretty clean shape. We explained to him that we couldn't touch it, and discussed his options. Poor old chap just wanted to sell it and couldn't understand what the issue was.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
We had an old timer bring in a live STG-45 in pretty clean shape. We explained to him that we couldn't touch it, and discussed his options. Poor old chap just wanted to sell it and couldn't understand what the issue was.
Some people still assume this is a free country.

Perhaps my most interesting encounter was the lady that wanted us to take some "explosives" her former renter (SEAL from Coronado) had left in her apartment. I suggested she call the fire department and have them remove it. She didn't want to do that, and insisted on driving it over to our shop.

I told her to leave it in the trunk, and I would help her. It turned out to be mostly dummy ordnance - mostly.
Nice.
We’ve gotten a couple calls about “grenades” but none have turned out to be real.
I always try to jump the call before people freak out and contact EOD. lol

They destroyed some nice Japanese WWII mortar rounds, without even checking to see if they were rendered inoperable, sadly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BM-ARM-DPMS-guns:
The receiver looks unfinished, semi auto kit build?
View Quote
I agree it looks unfinished.

Still a lot of value in parts right there.
I wonder if the trunnion is good? Some aftermarket ones weren't in spec, but others were awesome.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:57:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By xciapup:

I am trying to think of a situation where the best answer is to call the ATF.

View Quote
Exactly.
The only call to make about the ATF is for congress to abolish/disband them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:20:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Ma’am, this is a Wendy’s….
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ThreadKiller:
Women...
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By juan223:

Thats the correct answer when you're a juicy sting target...

View Quote

This.    It’s like the Let’s Make a Deal Game Show.   Do you want to trade everything you have for what’s behind door number 3?  It’s either $80-100k or an ATF team.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#10]
When I was a kid my dad new an old WWII vet who had the MG42 that stitched his leg, he had it in a false wall in his workshop.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Can you ask her if she’s looking for a husband?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 5thLegion:
"Fell off a truck"
View Quote
Robert A. must have been driving.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Well dang
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#14]
To spare you the trouble, I’ll take it off your hands for $treefiddy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
Robert A. must have been driving.
View Quote
I understood that reference.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:
First off, lower your voice…
View Quote

The serial number should fe FOIA’d first, before any thoughts of destruction or thoughts of turning it in to the outfit that takes trophy pictures with dead Americans.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mgwantob:

I got there right after she left, all those guns on cart came with it. Husband died and she didn’t want the guns. The M-60 had a BFA on it so we took it off and it still has a good bore. I told him to cut it up and sell parts kit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
Story?

I got there right after she left, all those guns on cart came with it. Husband died and she didn’t want the guns. The M-60 had a BFA on it so we took it off and it still has a good bore. I told him to cut it up and sell parts kit.

OP:
Seriously............  before you do that, check with the NFA branch to see it's registered.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#18]
What kind of dealer would let you take or give you this picture to slop around on the internet?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#19]
In Minecraft, I knew a Kitchen Table FFL. One day in Minecraft a period correct Sten and MP40 and several pistols and revolvers showed up. I got to finger fuck those. They were all in pristine shape and operable.

I was surprised how rough the STEN was from a manufacturing perspective.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#20]

I’m gonna just be a party pooper and outright say I would have told him to take his old UXO and get the hell off my property. No way I’m messing with that having no idea where it came from or how it’s been handled.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
My favorite arfcom story was not mine, but I'll tell it from the OP post.

Redneck:  BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM

Arfcommer: Nice SBR.

Redneck: Wut

Arfcommer: That's a very nice short barreled rifle, I like your gun.

Redneck: wut

Arfcommer: never mind

Redneck: Do u want 2 shoot it?

Arfcommer: Yes.
View Quote

I’ve pointed out the legality of such things to people before (quietly and in private) after people who genuinely didn’t know better posted pictures and videos of short things going pewpewpewpewpewpew on social media. Just a friendly heads up that you might not want to put such things up on a platform that’s basically curated by the NSA.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#22]
My dream gun.

Yes, I am well versed in it and its imperfections.

Man do I want one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By noob5000000:
Neat! What happens next? Is there any possible ending other than ATF puts it in the crusher?
View Quote

If it's not registered it can go to a museum.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:

Nice.
We’ve gotten a couple calls about “grenades” but none have turned out to be real.

They destroyed some nice Japanese WWII mortar rounds, without even checking to see if they were rendered inoperable, sadly.
View Quote

When I was in high school, we would skip down to the surplus store on the south side of town. Spent a ton of time and money there. Jay, I think his name was, ran the store. Certainly dead by now.

One day he said "you boys want to see something cool?" Uh, yeah man! Ol Jay rolls out a cart from the back that is stacked with little plastic-wrapped bricks about 2"x5". On the side was printed "Charge Demolition M112 1/4 LBS COMP C-4"

We were in shock. He said they were very real, legal, and wanted cash only. This was back in the late 90's. Not sure if they were legal, but god damn if we didn't want to buy the whole cart. I still regret not buying a couple of them at least
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#25]
@mgwantob

Other than the random C&R stuff on the cart there were some other goodies that came in with that lot as well, allegedly
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
Story?

Did you'll check to make sure it wasn't in the registry?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By st0newall:
so i ask the dumb question.  how do you know it was not a legal transferable nfa m60. they do exist.
View Quote

Yep.  Last time I took a hard look at getting one was about a decade ago and they were 60K then.

In the early 90s my first NFA was an SWD M11-9 for $400.
Like a months rent for me at the time.
The local police chief signed off.

I didn’t even know anyone that new about trusts and had no idea myself.
Off the top of my head an M16 was about 2500
MP5SD about 4K
And M60 10K

I couldn’t afford them, and the local chief would have signed off on an M16 but not the suppressed HK or a belt fed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By shack357:

View All Quotes
Neat! What happens next? Is there any possible ending other than ATF puts it in the crusher?

I'd cut it up for parts before it got put on a Form 10 to a museum .....

A form 10 is a "death sentence" for MG's ....... at least the parts could be used to keep other guns running.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Villafuego:

A form 10 is a "death sentence" for MG's ....... at least the parts could be used to keep other guns running.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Villafuego:

Good point.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I had one a couple years ago, a Colt M16.  Guy blew his head off with it on 3 round burst.  

Family said he brought it back from the war.

Older guy too.  I wanted that rifle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Seatbelts:

This.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seatbelts:
Originally Posted By olivers_AR:

Someone failed to let a buddy know to take the guns and didn’t inform the wife of the true value.

This.

Or he tried to tell the wife years ago and she didn’t care enough to pay attention.  I’ve seen that happen, too, but in fairness women sometimes have stuff with high resale value that I don’t know anything about.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Nice.

View All Quotes

Perhaps my most interesting encounter was the lady that wanted us to take some "explosives" her former renter (SEAL from Coronado) had left in her apartment. I suggested she call the fire department and have them remove it. She didn't want to do that, and insisted on driving it over to our shop.

I told her to leave it in the trunk, and I would help her. It turned out to be mostly dummy ordnance - mostly.
Nice.

Someone posted on here awhile back where they were texted a photograph of some WW2 Japanese grenades cleaned out of a house.  If I remember correctly, they were still spicy and had a bad reputation of not getting better with age.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:03:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#34]
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:
Someone posted on here awhile back where they were texted a photograph of some WW2 Japanese grenades cleaned out of a house.  If I remember correctly, they were still spicy and had a bad reputation of not getting better with age.
View Quote
@AlabamaFan64

Several sources I've read say it was only the detonators that degrade (and become more dangerous) due to picric acid being used as an initiator. That's the assembly which was commonly removed and discarded by returning GIs who kept them. (They'd then screw the cap back on, and it would look unchanged externally).

One source claims they didn't use picric acid at all:
https://stephentaylorhistorian.files.wordpress.com/2020/09/jatr-no-05-japanese-grenades.pdf

It took me about 3 hours to find some good info on them, and by then they'd already been collected by EOD and destroyed.
No effort was made by EOD to inspect the detonator assemblies.

Then finally I heard back from a museum, who said they'd take them, and that they're uncommon even among WWII museums. They're worth about $400 apiece.

EDIT: That was in 2020, but I found my pics. (Thanks, technology. )

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#35]
@AlabamaFan64

Several sources I've read say it was only the detonators that degrade (and become more dangerous) due to picric acid being used as an initiator. That's the assembly which was commonly removed and discarded by returning GIs who kept them. (They'd then screw the cap back on, and it would look unchanged externally).

https://stephentaylorhistorian.files.wordpress.com/2020/09/jatr-no-05-japanese-grenades.pdf

It took me about 3 hours to find some good info on them, and by then they’d already been collected by EOD and destroyed.

Then finally I heard back from a museum, who said they’d take them, and that they’re uncommon even among WWII museums. They’re worth about $400 apiece.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:
@AlabamaFan64

It took me about 3 hours to find some good info on them, and by then they’d already been collected by EOD and destroyed.

Then finally I heard back from a museum, who said they’d take them, and that they’re uncommon even among WWII museums. They’re worth about $400 apiece.

Awesome.  That’s pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By VidaEterna:
... turning it in to the outfit that takes trophy pictures with dead Americans.
View Quote

Wait, what?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By djkest:
Wait, what?
View Quote
@djkest

This was being circulated all over the internet years ago:
Attachment Attached File

but apparently that's not Chipman. Said to have been an FBI special agent or some other federal agent.

Anyway, the skeleton/body was there, and so was ATF.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:39:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mauritius] [#38]
I think I need to befriend some recently widowed elderly women.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I think I should befriend some recently widowed elderly women.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Natty_Bumppo:
When I was a kid my dad new an old WWII vet who had the MG42 that stitched his leg, he had it in a false wall in his workshop.
View Quote

I think there are a fair amount of SMGs and MGs out there "just under the surface." In the 1970s, I was a wanna be gun trader in my late teens. I would hit every garage and yard sale, as well as asking around for leads. Lots of WWII vets from the northeast had retired in the part of Florida where I was living. I saw some interesting things, most of which I had no money to take advantage of or thought the risk of aquiring was too great. One was a 1928 Thompson (live) I found in an umbrella stand. There were a number of walking sticks there which kind of hid it, just the muzzle was visible. I gave it a surreptitious look, but this was in an open park area right on the main drag of Ocala, FL. My mind raced about how I might buy this from the old gal, but I was far from home, and I finally decided the risk was maybe too great.

Another time, I was looking through a garage sale, and there was a little wooden garden tool shed painted white. I entered and gave the contents a scan, and then, up near the rafters, painted white and covered in dust and cobwebs, I spotted a Japanese Type 99 light MG. Seems strange to say now, but it wasn't anything I was really interested in. But I hovered in there for a long while, watching other people step in and look around. No one ever saw that rascal up there near the rafters. I would wager it stayed there until that shed was knocked down.

Then there was the local teacher years later who I was shooting with. The subject of MGs came up, and he said, "Yeah, I had one of those German "Schmissers." Sold it just last year. Met the guy way out in the midle of nowhere, he shot half a magazine then paid me." This guy was the last person you would ever suspect of having something illegal, but he had owned it for years, and finally decided to let it go. So you never know when this sort of thing will turn up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
I'm pretty sure machine guns are medicinal.

I know I always feel better when I have one in my hands.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:

When I was in high school, we would skip down to the surplus store on the south side of town. Spent a ton of time and money there. Jay, I think his name was, ran the store. Certainly dead by now.

One day he said "you boys want to see something cool?" Uh, yeah man! Ol Jay rolls out a cart from the back that is stacked with little plastic-wrapped bricks about 2"x5". On the side was printed "Charge Demolition M112 1/4 LBS COMP C-4"

We were in shock. He said they were very real, legal, and wanted cash only. This was back in the late 90's. Not sure if they were legal, but god damn if we didn't want to buy the whole cart. I still regret not buying a couple of them at least
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:40:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Db8sGr8:

What?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Db8sGr8:
Originally Posted By sixnine:
You spelled cunt wrong.

What?

jaded edgelord hates on elderly woman who has no idea about gun laws, news at 11
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
My favorite arfcom story was not mine, but I'll tell it from the OP post.

Redneck:  BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM

Arfcommer: Nice SBR.

Redneck: Wut

Arfcommer: That's a very nice short barreled rifle, I like your gun.

Redneck: wut

Arfcommer: never mind

Redneck: Do u want 2 shoot it?

Arfcommer: Yes.
View Quote

SBR laws aren't real anymore.  Alex Bosco rendered them irrelevant.

ATF can seethe, moan and give away free stamps all they want. That ship has sailed. Lol

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I was an M60 gunner in the Corps, Mine was a beast, never missed a beat, never jammed and was so accurate when on the tripod with T and E. Miss my Pig.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ERNURSE:
I was an M60 gunner in the Corps, Mine was a beast, never missed a beat, never jammed and was so accurate when on the tripod with T and E. Miss my Pig.
View Quote

Jumped an M60 numerous times at Bragg. After I made E4, it was time to pass it off onto a cherry. I ended up having to jump a Dragon a few times also.
Thought I was in heaven when all I had to rig up in the M1950 weapons case was an M16/M203.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 50cal:
Jumped an M60 numerous times at Bragg. After I made E4, it was time to pass it off onto a cherry. I ended up having to jump a Dragon a few times also.
Thought I was in heaven when all I had to rig up in the M1950 weapons case was an M16/M203.
View Quote
@50cal

That's interesting. I Googled and found this: https://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31234-anyone-seen-an-m60-griswold-bag-before-any-guess-on-value/

Any special way you rigged it up?
Fortunately I can just stick mine in an SUV and never have to worry about jumping it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#50]
@50cal

That's interesting. I Googled and found this: https://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31234-anyone-seen-an-m60-griswold-bag-before-any-guess-on-value/

Any special way you rigged it up?
Fortunately I can just stick mine in an SUV and never have to worry about jumping it.
View Quote

The 60 was put in the M1950 case like a rifle would be. But it was rigged to your parachute harness with a lowering line. The rucksack was released on the lowering line, then the weapons case was released to run down the lowering line to land on top of your ruck. N
It had a specific way the case was laced to attach to the lowering line. My last static line jump was in 1991. I don't remember the specific way to rig it now.
Damn. 33 years since last jump. No wonder my knees are fucked.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top