Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2023 12:15:39 PM EDT
I was watching the "Kings and Generals" video on YouTube of the First Crusade last night.  It left me with the impression that the Crusaders of the First Crusade due to their different leadership tended to to move separately in almost smaller corps similar to Napoleon's army then similar to Napoleon's army would link up right before an engagement or steadily roll into an ongoing engagement.   The few times the Crusaders or earlier before the Crusade the Byzantines tried to move as large bodies similar to the Roman Legion system they tended to get into trouble.  

I couldn't help but wonder whether Napoleon had studied the First Crusade and took a lesson from it that he would later refine and apply to his Grand Army?  I see a very similar pattern where one Crusader element that was relatively small would get attacked by a much larger body and initially be in deep #$%* when suddenly their other Crusader elemtns would roll into the battle after it had started and completely catch the Islamic army by surprise decimating them.  I think it came down more to the Crusader Leaders deep personality clashes and politcs more than a preplanned strategy, but their division and then coordination into larger bodies at critical points really seemed to work to their advantage.  

Anyone else ever make that comparison between the First Crusader armies and Napoleon's Grand Army Corps System?   Am I nuts for making the comparison?  

First Crusade - Full Story, Every Battle - Animated Medieval History
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#1]
very interesting topic.

did not know about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top