Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WildBoar:

What about people with bppv where certain head movements can cause that.
View Quote

Probable cause is about the totality of circumstances, not just one symptom of impairment.  If they failed HGN with no other signs of impairment I wouldn't arrest them, especially if they had a medical explanation for it that checked out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#2]

What about people with bppv where certain head movements can cause that.
View Quote
"Head movements" do not cause nystagmus. There is such a thing as natural nystagmus, however.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Cop sure is a Dickhead.
What an asshole-He's the reason some people hate cops.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 103:
Refusing to participate in fields has no separate legal penalty or consequence.

Refusing to provide breath samples (or urine or blood as the situation demands) in a DUI** will result in varying levels legal penalty or consequence*.

You cannot demand a blood test instead of a breath test.

Agreeing to breath testing has no legal relationship to FSEs (other than as potential evidence of consciousness of guilt). To be clear on this point--a breath test can only be validly requested if PC exists for a DUI arrest prior to the request. That means most counties do breath tests in the jail as part of intake. FHP still has intoxylizers in some cars, but that still requires PC. The practical result of this is that the person is already under arrest for DUI prior to providing a breath sample. PBTs are only valid for determining underage drinking.

I hope this makes sense. I am happy to clarify.

*DL penalties are administrative the first time. That means a one year DL suspension eligible for hardship and subject to legal challenge in the form of an administrative review hearing. If a person has a prior refusal from a previous DUI arrest and refuses to blow, they are subject to an 18 month administrative DL suspension and can be charged with a misdemeanor of "prior refusal" along with the DUI.

**BUI carries no direct DL-related penalty. But it does count towards stacking of penalties for any possible future DUI and the prior refusal law.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-4:

@103

Just to clarify:  In FL (and presumably NH), you can refuse a FSE without consequences for that itself, but you cannot refuse a breath test or blood test?  

And you cannot demand a blood test instead of the breath test?  

So as long as you agree to breath testing, you can refuse the FSE?

ETA:  The clarification is the difference between refusing to do a FSE/SFST/FST vs demanding a blood test instead of a breath test.

Refusing to provide breath samples (or urine or blood as the situation demands) in a DUI** will result in varying levels legal penalty or consequence*.

Agreeing to breath testing has no legal relationship to FSEs (other than as potential evidence of consciousness of guilt). To be clear on this point--a breath test can only be validly requested if PC exists for a DUI arrest prior to the request. That means most counties do breath tests in the jail as part of intake. FHP still has intoxylizers in some cars, but that still requires PC. The practical result of this is that the person is already under arrest for DUI prior to providing a breath sample. PBTs are only valid for determining underage drinking.

*DL penalties are administrative the first time. That means a one year DL suspension eligible for hardship and subject to legal challenge in the form of an administrative review hearing. If a person has a prior refusal from a previous DUI arrest and refuses to blow, they are subject to an 18 month administrative DL suspension and can be charged with a misdemeanor of "prior refusal" along with the DUI.

**BUI carries no direct DL-related penalty. But it does count towards stacking of penalties for any possible future DUI and the prior refusal law.

Awesome @103  That clarifies it.

I would have no problem with a breath/blood/urine test, although at that point, from how you explain it, I would already be under arrest.  

I examine a lot of patients and do daily neuro exams and I think there is too much variability in results for a FSE to help me get out of a situation.  I would refuse an FSE, then agree to/cooperate with a breath/blood/urine test after a cooperative arrest.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Gilly:

In my state, 0.08 BAC is prima facie evidence of impairment.  That said, the only was I was putting you in front of an Intoxylizer was after an arrest.  Arrests are made based upon probable cause of impairment.  Performance of FSEs are a large part of building that PC, but arrests can be made without FSEs based on objective signs of impairment, presence of alcoholic beverages in the vehicle, or unsolicited admissions.  If I arrested someone for DUI based on clear signs of impairment and they blew 0.00, I requested a urine sample to prove drug impairment.  Even if they refused to blow or pee in a cup, the arrest stood based on my observations of impairment.  I don't know anything about writing warrants for blood in DUI cases.  We also didn't use PBT devices, and I was happy about.  Used improperly, PBTs are a crutch and will ruin a DUI case.

In my non-expert opinion, the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test is the best FSE out there.  The eyes don't lie, and it can be performed on anyone that can keep their eyes open and track a stimulus with their eyes.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gilly:
Originally Posted By Jason280:

I'm genuinely curious, how does that work?  Would blowing "0" remove any probable cause for bloodwork?

In my state, 0.08 BAC is prima facie evidence of impairment.  That said, the only was I was putting you in front of an Intoxylizer was after an arrest.  Arrests are made based upon probable cause of impairment.  Performance of FSEs are a large part of building that PC, but arrests can be made without FSEs based on objective signs of impairment, presence of alcoholic beverages in the vehicle, or unsolicited admissions.  If I arrested someone for DUI based on clear signs of impairment and they blew 0.00, I requested a urine sample to prove drug impairment.  Even if they refused to blow or pee in a cup, the arrest stood based on my observations of impairment.  I don't know anything about writing warrants for blood in DUI cases.  We also didn't use PBT devices, and I was happy about.  Used improperly, PBTs are a crutch and will ruin a DUI case.

In my non-expert opinion, the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test is the best FSE out there.  The eyes don't lie, and it can be performed on anyone that can keep their eyes open and track a stimulus with their eyes.

I do neuro exams on people daily.  Nystagmus is not uncommon in people who are not intoxicated.  What you have to contend with is selection bias.  You are selecting people for the test that you suspect based on other signs to be intoxicated.  As long as it’s used in conjunction with other findings, then it’s helpful but not as a stand-alone.  

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19737889/#:~:text=Purpose%3A%20Physiologic%20gaze%2Devoked%20nystagmus,officers%20to%20determine%20alcohol%20intoxication.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Should have asked the cop to perform it so you could make sure you understood.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:47:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#7]
"Head movements" do not cause nystagmus. There is such a thing as natural nystagmus, however.
View Quote

I am not sure what it's called but when I found out I had it they could tell by my eyes nystagmus. Always worried that would get me a DUI. Even though I never drink and drive.

I assumed it was head movements because it can trigger my bppv but ai guess the eye thing doesn't matter. I am also afraid to tell a cop because they will think it's a bullshit excuse and assume more guilt.

If I ever get suspected of DWI  I am refusing the test and will just have them blow me or do a blood draw at the station.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]

I am not sure what it's called but when I found out I had it they could tell by my eyes nystagmus. Always worried that would get me a DUI. Even though I never drink and drive.

I assumed it was head movements because it can trigger my bppv but ai guess the eye thing doesn't matter. I am also afraid to tell a cop because they will think it's a bullshit excuse and assume more guilt.

If I ever get suspected of DWI  I am refusing the test and will just have them blow me or do a blood draw at the station.
View Quote
If you have natural nystagmus, you can get a letter from an eye doctor. Good idea to keep one in your glove box.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Pinpoint6:
LOL, take me in and blow me.

I’m not doing any of that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Hell Officer, I couldn't do that if I was sob....ooops.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Creatyre:
Funny part about that bs test is, I thought he did pretty well.
View Quote

I don't know what the standard is for those tests, but I only noticed 2 misses. His hands were reversed when he initially stopped, and he didn't return to the chest before putting his palms in his lap.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I had forgotten the first task by the time he described the third task. I don't drink at all. I never did Disco either. The smart thing to do is no booze on the boat.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have natural nystagmus, you can get a letter from an eye doctor. Good idea to keep one in your glove box.
View Quote

I guess. Maybe it won't hurt and I do appreciate the advice. Either way I just don't trust officer discretion. Sorry. It is what it is. I will just have to go in cuffs get charged and blow asstons of money fighting it while I get fired merely for getting charged with it. Had a coworker get let go over being charged with a DUI years ago. He fought it and beat it but he lost a really damn good job because of it.

I won't even drive if I had even a sip of anything. I don't need the I smell alcohol on you to get the ball rolling.

Chances are I will probably never have to do one of these tests ever and I do everything to make sure I don't. But none of that is a guarantee.

Yeah I am overthinking it. But after seeing that coworker essentially have his life turned upside down over a false arrest I am paranoid of it.

If stopped I am always doing my best to make it an easy stop as I know they deal with some real fuckheads and don't need the extra bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By rgaper:

In this case, the guy's blood test also came back clean and they still didn't drop charges.  The cop was visibly angry.  All because "he seemed impaired."

There has to be some degree of accountability against the cops who do this.  It feels just like that shitty MLB umpire who gets calls wrong all the time but never gets fired.

As someone who does not drink and does not use drugs, I have no patience for people who put me or my family at risk because of their poor choices... but I have even less patience for being accused of it without a good reason.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By greenranger:
Originally Posted By Jason280:

Yeah there's a video on YT of a guy who blew 0.0 twice and the cop did not relent... he threatened the guy with arrest if he did not submit to a "voluntary" blood test.  

I'm genuinely curious, how does that work?  Would blowing "0" remove any probable cause for bloodwork?

Could be drugs assuming he’s showing the signs of being impaired. Blowing a 0 doesn’t mean one isn’t impaired it just means it’s not alcohol

In this case, the guy's blood test also came back clean and they still didn't drop charges.  The cop was visibly angry.  All because "he seemed impaired."

There has to be some degree of accountability against the cops who do this.  It feels just like that shitty MLB umpire who gets calls wrong all the time but never gets fired.

As someone who does not drink and does not use drugs, I have no patience for people who put me or my family at risk because of their poor choices... but I have even less patience for being accused of it without a good reason.

Angel Hernandez syndrome, I kinda like it
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes

Wow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By HangfiresGhost:
Defund the fish cops.

They've obviously got too many people with too much spare time.
View Quote

Nope, it is how they are required to do their job. Don't like it, fire the politicians who came up with the laws. Learn how to fix the problem.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#17]
just keep my opinions on the circumstances surrounding this to myself
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Chisum:

Nope, it is how they are required to do their job. Don't like it, fire the politicians who came up with the laws. Learn how to fix the problem.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HangfiresGhost:
Defund the fish cops.

They've obviously got too many people with too much spare time.

I thought cops had discretion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fargo007:

https://i.imgflip.com/18jwl2.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fargo007:
Originally Posted By Pinpoint6:
LOL, take me in and blow me.

I'm not doing any of that.

https://i.imgflip.com/18jwl2.jpg
Also- stop talking.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Cobra-Commander:
There is a separate set of FST’s developed for boating specifically because of equilibrium etc after being on a boat for any period of time. One leg stands and walk and turn and the ones you are used to seeing on traffic stops are part of the ashore battery of tests that cannot be completed until after a certain time has elapsed once you are ashore. That is why the palm pat, finger count, etc were developed. I got out of the game shortly after the test in the video was developed and the consensus amongst all of the Boarding Officers I worked with were that it was retarded.
View Quote

At 72, I have developed equilibrium issues. I have fallen several times just in the last 4 months. On one occasion I ended up on a trip to the ER. Family says I can't drive anymore, No car, truck, or tractor. If I had a boat all I could do is row. The doctor agreed since the med I have to take makes me very drowsy. The funny part is out of the four adult drivers, I have the only squeaky clean driving record. Yes, it is humiliating but the right decision. I have no desire to get in an accident.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Are you serious? Just get the freakin' breathilizer so we can get this clown show over with.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Riter:
Clearly the blonde is nawt gill-tea.  Anyway, the way the fish cop sways (when you see the two women) & you'd think he was drunk
View Quote

No, he knows his body camera is focused on her boobs and he can do little about it. For most men trying to do their job it is very uncomfortable. For the perverts, it is drool time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By swolliepop:
would be great for fish cops to have to perform these tests sober vs inebriated and be judged on their performance.

there’s NO WAY i (or anyone) could do any of those perfectly, despite being sober. designed to make you fail.
View Quote

If you watched the video the cop did demonstrate the drill. He did it flawlessly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#24]

If you watched the video the cop did demonstrate the drill. He did it flawlessly.
View All Quotes
would be great for fish cops to have to perform these tests sober vs inebriated and be judged on their performance.

there’s NO WAY i (or anyone) could do any of those perfectly, despite being sober. designed to make you fail.

Because he is practiced.

This type of behavior has been going on for a very long time. Disgusting behavior by our very own government
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

I thought cops had discretion.
View Quote

Come cops would rather let the Judge sort it out. Odds are they won't even show up for the hearing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By GaryM:
Are you serious? Just get the freakin' breathilizer so we can get this clown show over with.
View Quote

That does seem logical which is why they have procedures that don't let them, is my guess.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Yeah there's a video on YT of a guy who blew 0.0 twice and the cop did not relent... he threatened the guy with arrest if he did not submit to a "voluntary" blood test.  

I fucking hate fish cops.  I've seen so many poachers, have reported a vehicle underwater, reckless boating... they don't do shit.  Instead they'll hassle the family at the boat ramp.  Fuck em.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By haveTwo:
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
Originally Posted By UV18:
The guy is on land. There is ZERO reason to do any alternate tests.

As a suspect there's pretty much zero reason to do any tests.

You ain't going to change the cop's mind at that point.  Hell, some cops were found to be arresting people even after they blew 0.0's.

Shut up and don't give them anything to get you on.

I fucking hate fish cops.  I've seen so many poachers, have reported a vehicle underwater, reckless boating... they don't do shit.  Instead they'll hassle the family at the boat ramp.  Fuck em.

Lol that's the game isn't it? Have we learned nothing from uvalde? Parents of dying children were tazed, beaten and cuffed. The mass murderer drew "lol" in the blood of the children he just killed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:08:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greenranger] [#28]
Originally Posted By GaryM:
View Quote

They’re STANDARDIZED field Sobriety tests. If he doesn’t do them all in order as directed they’re not standardized

Blame the defense lawyers who keep nit picking everything away for their 40 year old alcoholic daddy’s money  clients
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Hostile1:

Because he is practiced.

This type of behavior has been going on for a very long time. Disgusting behavior by our very own government
View Quote

Yup, and if assholes didn't sue for every stupid thing, they would not have to follow stupid rules. Does that make you feel better?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By greenranger:

They’re STANDARDIZED field Sobriety tests. If he doesn’t do them all in order as directed they’re not standardized

Blame the defense lawyers who keep nit picking everything away for their 40 year old alcoholic daddy’s money  clients
View Quote

Bingo.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#31]

not sure if this ^^ is the one he was referring to, but i’ve watched that one a few times and all i can say is……WOW.
View All Quotes

not sure if this ^^ is the one he was referring to, but i’ve watched that one a few times and all i can say is……WOW.

You know those cops are suing him, right? He exposed their bs and they can't stand it.

For the record I don't drink at all and despise drunks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Societies’ boring people at it again.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I really wasn't. A refusal is a refusal. "I want a blood test" will be interpreted by most officers as a refusal. I am representing a gentlemen right now who used those exact words in response to a deputy asking if he would participate in FSEs.

But what the hell do I know?
View All Quotes

No, you were speaking completely off of the subject.  At what point in the video did the fish cop request a breath sample?
I really wasn't. A refusal is a refusal. "I want a blood test" will be interpreted by most officers as a refusal. I am representing a gentlemen right now who used those exact words in response to a deputy asking if he would participate in FSEs.

But what the hell do I know?

Did he get the blood test and what were the results?

If a police officer was so sure that someone is under the influence, wouldn't a blood test provide more legitimate data on impairment than FST pseudo-science bullshit? Wouldn't they want real data to help their case?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#34]
What a crock of shit.  I’ve been sober since 2016 and I doubt I could pass that stupid test.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#35]

I would have no problem with a breath/blood/urine test, although at that point, from how you explain it, I would already be under arrest.  

I examine a lot of patients and do daily neuro exams and I think there is too much variability in results for a FSE to help me get out of a situation.  I would refuse an FSE, then agree to/cooperate with a breath/blood/urine test after a cooperative arrest.
View All Quotes

@103

Just to clarify:  In FL (and presumably NH), you can refuse a FSE without consequences for that itself, but you cannot refuse a breath test or blood test?  

ETA:  The clarification is the difference between refusing to do a FSE/SFST/FST vs demanding a blood test instead of a breath test.

I agree with this.

I don't do drugs or drink and drive, i would rather do a breath/blood/urine test also. I get the eye test, but i don't trust the FST to be in any way objective.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Pellinore:

I agree with this.

I don't do drugs or drink and drive, i would rather do a breath/blood/urine test also. I get the eye test, but i don't trust the FST to be in any way objective.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pellinore:

@103

I agree with this.

Mind you, the only person who gets to say what the result of the HGN test was is the guy building a case against you.  Video won’t help you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

😂😂😂
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Hostile1:

You know those cops are suing him, right? He exposed their bs and they can't stand it.

For the record I don't drink at all and despise drunks.
View Quote

now that you mention it, yes, i do recall hearing that a while back. absolute garbage.  but still protecting the TBL, per usual!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Mind you, the only person who gets to say what the result of the HGN test was is the guy building a case against you.  Video won’t help you.
View Quote

agree, and have heard MANY attorney and prosecutors say the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Wow.
View All Quotes

Wow.

What, you didn't believe in having to prove your innocence to a government agent that won't face any consequences for attempting his damnedest to fuck you over?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#41]

What, you didn't believe in having to prove your innocence to a government agent that won't face any consequences for attempting his damnedest to fuck you over?
View All Quotes

Wow.

I must be one of those radicals that people talk about.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#42]
The only good government is a new government.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#44]
When An MP Pulls You Over! Part 2
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:08:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt-Planet] [#45]

View Quote

This is probably absolutely correct for Florida. It's off in a few ways for New Hampshire.

Functionally, it's good enough advice for GD, but as I always say, consult an attorney in the jurisdiction for specific questions about laws in that jurisdiction if you actually need a concrete answer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

IME, if you are not drunk. You are better off to do the FST's. You avoid the whole arrest deal.

If you are drunk, have the money and ability to deal with a drivers license suspension. Refuse everything.

Assuming you are in an area that is not going to mess with a blood draw.
View Quote

Attorneys will usually give people the hard and fast rule of don't ever agree to the initial testing, regardless of the circumstances. But that's mostly because they only represent people who have been arrested. In those cases, it's very rare that doing the SFSTs actually helped the case, so that advice makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Id clap my hands 7 times, flick the tyrant off, and kick him in his nuts.

Fucking ridiculous. They earn their hate.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#49]

I must be one of those radicals that people talk about.
View Quote

🤣🤣
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Top Top