Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2023 10:03:58 AM EDT
Some of y’all probably already know me. Some probably don’t.

I own/run about 130-140 trucks, over 200 titled vehicles.  Then ancillary equipment - skidloaders, backhoes, etc. etc.

We’re primarily in niche distribution of fuel and lubricants. The majority of my drivers are home nightly, straight truck or what we call tank wagons.  I have about 15 tractor trailers on the road as well, the majority being regional OTR - out 1-2 nights a week. Off weekends.

If you have any oil, grease, antifreeze questions - you’re welcome to ask as well. I’m STLE-CLS, and I can give you the answer of “this works for me” as well. My current title is Sales-Operation, so I over see all of our fleet… and do sales training, some sales management and some technical support.  A little of everything.

I’ve had my Class A for about 10 years now. If I buy them, I might as well be able to drive them. We’re primarily PACCAR.  Split pretty evenly Pete’s and KW’s.  A few freightliners in there and a few legacy International and Western Stars left.  Everything new since 2018 has been Paccar however.

If you want a perspective from a hands on fleet owner, or fuels & lubricants questions - feel free to ask.

I won’t answer technical safety questions or anything that is legally binding.  You should have your own safety manager and/or DOT/OSHA advisor answering those questions.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey boss can you turn my truck up to 75mph?
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheWhitePill:
Hey boss can you turn my truck up to 75mph?
View Quote

Yup.  That’s typically were we govern however.

Some of our older trucks aren’t governed.  And I warn the drivers “I don’t pay speeding tickets. That’s on you.”

What you do with a 600hp 3406 is your own business.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Cat 3126e. Are you running any Cat stuff off road?
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 14Karat:
I have a Cat 3126e. Are you running any Cat stuff off road?
View Quote

All our heavy equipment is off road. My dad and I also have a family farm still. And we restore antique heavy equipment - mostly old CAT stuff.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

If you have any oil, grease, antifreeze questions - you’re welcome to ask as well. I’m STLE-CLS, and I can give you the answer of “this works for me” as well. My current title is Sales-Operation, so I over see all of our fleet… and do sales training, some sales management and some technical support.  A little of everything.
View Quote

What are your thoughts on using #3 grease, during warm summer months, on specifically tie rod ends, drag links, and spring pins?

I have experimented with this and after one summer's trying out, I think I'm a fan of the thicker stuff holding up to underhood temps, but only one summer of trying it to back up my opinion.

Also, Any other options for a #3 grease aside from Schaeffer's 238? Not against Schaeffer's, but would be just as happy with a standard oil company's offering, IE Delo, Mobil, etc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:44:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxtrot08] [#6]
Originally Posted By MyRifleMyPonyAndMe:

What are your thoughts on using #3 grease, during warm summer months, on specifically tie rod ends, drag links, and spring pins?

I have experimented with this and after one summer's trying out, I think I'm a fan of the thicker stuff holding up to underhood temps, but only one summer of trying it to back up my opinion.

Also, Any other options for a #3 grease aside from Schaeffer's 238? Not against Schaeffer's, but would be just as happy with a standard oil company's offering, IE Delo, Mobil, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MyRifleMyPonyAndMe:

I wouldn’t use a #3. Would never really hot enough to make it move. We have #2s working fine in steel mills on the hot work side.  It’s not so much the temperature you’re worried about, but it’s working penetration.  As that is what makes the differences in grades. Not the temperature points.

#3s aren’t really meant to be used in high speed applications either.  

I would use Mystik Jt6 High temp.  As that’s what I use in my fleet and it works fantastic.  Specifically the #2.

It’s also the #1 selling grease in North America. And cloned by a lot of companies - such as the megaplex 600 from p66. But you can get the Mystik at most parts stores.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#7]

I wouldn't use a #3. Would never really hot enough to make it move. We have #2s working fine in steel mills on the hot work side.  It's not so much the temperature you're worried about, but it's working penetration.  As that is what makes the differences in grades. Not the temperature points.

#3s aren't really meant to be used in high speed applications either.  

I would use Mystik Jt6 High temp.  As that's what I use in my fleet and it works fantastic.  Specifically the #2.

It's also the #1 selling grease in North America. And cloned by a lot of companies - such as the megaplex 600 from p66. But you can get the Mystik at most parts stores.
View Quote
Good as a wheel bearing grease?
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you currently or in the near future hiring CDL-A drivers?

I unfortunately do not have Ohio HAZMAT since I'm not there (yet). I recently obtained my CDL-A, but have operated MTV and MAT-V trucks during my time in the Army with zero accidents.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#9]
On the note of grease, Castrol pyroplex in the lovely very permanent on pants blue, marine grease is what I've been using for everything, tractors, machines, Trailer bearings, whatever because it comes in the nice plastic tubes that don't jam up my guns nlgi 2 rated. Good enough for General purpose farm stuff?
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#10]
How often does DEF system fuck up your logistics?  How do you deal with a dead on the road vehicle?

(I was a fleet manager for five minutes)
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
View All Quotes

I wouldn't use a #3. Would never really hot enough to make it move. We have #2s working fine in steel mills on the hot work side.  It's not so much the temperature you're worried about, but it's working penetration.  As that is what makes the differences in grades. Not the temperature points.

#3s aren't really meant to be used in high speed applications either.  

I would use Mystik Jt6 High temp.  As that's what I use in my fleet and it works fantastic.  Specifically the #2.

It's also the #1 selling grease in North America. And cloned by a lot of companies - such as the megaplex 600 from p66. But you can get the Mystik at most parts stores.

Yep. It’s GC-LB approved. Which is the highest level for wheel bearing grease.  So very good to go for that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SEAN10MM:

I unfortunately do not have Ohio HAZMAT since I'm not there (yet). I recently obtained my CDL-A, but have operated MTV and MAT-V trucks during my time in the Army with zero accidents.
View Quote

What part of Ohio?

I currently will probably have an opening soon in the Youngstown area.

Toledo division I can find out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
How often does DEF system fuck up your logistics?  How do you deal with a dead on the road vehicle?

(I was a fleet manager for five minutes)
View Quote

Honestly not often. We rarely, rarely have to tow trucks. We probably have a DEF system issue maybe twice a month. But not a tow situation. Our drivers are pretty well trained, once you start having to do regens more often to let us know. Then we can fix the issue before it fails.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#14]

What part of Ohio?

View All Quotes

What part of Ohio?

I will be coming to the the Youngstown area. Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Yep. It's GC-LB approved. Which is the highest level for wheel bearing grease.  So very good to go for that.
View Quote
Added to the shopping list, case of 10. It's a shame I have so few zerk fittings nowadays.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Added to the shopping list, case of 10. It's a shame I have so few zerk fittings nowadays.
View All Quotes

Yep. It's GC-LB approved. Which is the highest level for wheel bearing grease.  So very good to go for that.

If you were more local, I’d just give you a tube. I’m sure I have broken cases of it, or a clone floating around. I know I have a few written off in my truck shop.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#17]

If you were more local, I'd just give you a tube. I'm sure I have broken cases of it, or a clone floating around. I know I have a few written off in my truck shop.
View All Quotes

If you were more local, I'd just give you a tube. I'm sure I have broken cases of it, or a clone floating around. I know I have a few written off in my truck shop.
We'll be at the Hamvention in Xenia in May.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:50:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CornfieldCong] [#18]

What part of Ohio?

View All Quotes

What part of Ohio?

Are you in the market for local or regional flatbed/specialized trainers? Not looking right now, but the old lady and I are planning a family and I'll probably want to be closer to home at some point in the future.

ETA - I've also run tanker extensively in the past.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top