Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2023 4:58:28 PM EDT
I just toured a school. They only accept "home school" kids. We home schooled during much of covid with limited success. I'm the breadwinner and while wife is a homemaker, she just isn't wired for it.

My son is bright, but has never excelled with the public structure. I'm excited about the school we looked at. Sensible curriculum and a ton of practical skills. Farm to table daily, blacksmithing, wood working, welding, cooking, etc. 10 to 1 student, educator ratio. No computer learning....at all.

Anyway the tuition is $8,500. My brother has 5 young sons. I mentioned that the program would definitely appeal to my brother, but the tuition gets heavy with that many. The admin (of sorts) reminded me that school choice is law and that current funding is $8,300.

If you are in Florida, its worth looking into. Covid kicked off many alternative schools. I have not applied yet, but am stoked at the potential.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Before I search, does FL give y'all vouchers for school choice?
Also, good luck with that school!

My kid is falling behind in public/govt. school because
he's autistic, but also due to our schools being shut down
during covid overreaction.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:20:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ambridge77] [#2]
Double post - browser error.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:
Before I search, does FL give y'all vouchers for school choice?
Also, good luck with that school!

My kid is falling behind in public/govt. school because
he's autistic, but also due to our schools being shut down
during covid overreaction.

View Quote

I have not fully explored the process, but yes on vouchers.

I believe the program is also applicable to dual enrollment for kids that want an earlier start in the trades, tech, etc.

https://www.the74million.org/article/florida-just-became-the-nations-biggest-school-choice-laboratory/
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Undaunted:
I just toured a school. They only accept "home school" kids. We home schooled during much of covid with limited success. I'm the breadwinner and while wife is a homemaker, she just isn't wired for it.

My son is bright, but has never excelled with the public structure. I'm excited about the school we looked at. Sensible curriculum and a ton of practical skills. Farm to table daily, blacksmithing, wood working, welding, cooking, etc. 10 to 1 student, educator ratio. No computer learning....at all.

Anyway the tuition is $8,500. My brother has 5 young sons. I mentioned that the program would definitely appeal to my brother, but the tuition gets heavy with that many. The admin (of sorts) reminded me that school choice is law and that current funding is $8,300.

If you are in Florida, its worth looking into. Covid kicked off many alternative schools. I have not applied yet, but am stoked at the potential.
View Quote

What is the name of this school?
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By nuthouse22:

What is the name of this school?
View Quote

I'd prefer not to put my kids' small private school on blast.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Understood.

We've been homeschooling for a couple years now. Previously did Classical Conversations but started our own coop for this year.

My brother has his kids in a pretty good school that sounds similar to the one you mentioned. Hes in the Milton, FL area.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, we just got our voucher for a school. Daughter starts kindergarten this year. It is a great program. I am glad they got it done.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By nuthouse22:
Understood.

We've been homeschooling for a couple years now. Previously did Classical Conversations but started our own coop for this year.

My brother has his kids in a pretty good school that sounds similar to the one you mentioned. Hes in the Milton, FL area.
View Quote

Central Florida here...right in the middle of the state.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Delta10mm:
OP, we just got our voucher for a school. Daughter starts kindergarten this year. It is a great program. I am glad they got it done.
View Quote

Its one of many reasons I want Desantis to stay where he is, although its looking like he won't have a choice.

Dems would pull the rug quickly to ensure their indoctrination. Roughly $8K per kid certainly helps us and is certainly wasted on public.

My 2 kids and 3 of my nephews will all be attending. My brother and wife will rotate pickups and drop them to our adjacent farms in the afternoon. It will be great for them.

While we can win certain battles in the public sphere, the only real answer is to get them out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
We started using the Step-Up scholarship last school year. It has been great and enables us to put our kid in an excellent private Christian school at little out of pocket cost. It has been a very good experience, and she's greatly out performing her neighborhood peers in public school.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top