Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2024 11:15:59 AM EDT
Seen loads of references on here and utube about foam cannons. ESP those using a pressure washer.  But if I understand their use, you STILL have to wash by hand after using one. So is the process, spray vehicle all over with soap foam, then go at it with your microfiber cloth and then rinse/dry?  If so, what’s the benefit to the extra step of foaming everything.  

I’ve watched a ton of utubes and I’m just not getting the appeal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a foam cannon on my RZR.  Along with that and a pressure washer, I do not hand wash.

The foam gets all the sand, mud, dirt, etc dislodged, and then I rinse.

Think of it like a touch-less car wash.

It works really well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Used my neighbor’s foam cannon.

It’s puts a fuck ton of soap on the vehicle.

Maybe I missed something but I was unimpressed.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:31:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: truculenity] [#3]
Helps prevent micro scratches in the paint.

Pressure wash the vehicle first to knock the nasty stuff off, the foam, and hand wash with soapy water in a bucket, then pressure wash again and dry.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Ahhh ok. In my case the microscraches will be concealed by the regular scratches so definitely sounds like not useful to me.  If it was a faster process to just soap down, spray off, dry and done it’d be one thing and worth it to me. But not if it’s adding another whole step to my washing.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The foam starts the cleaning process  like a presoak and loosens up all the crap. If all you do is foam it up and spray it off your car will still be dirty. Its just like going to a touchless car wash. They are useless. I use it to soap  up the car them run around with a bucket of water and a car wash brush on a long handle and scrub the entire car and then power wash rinse before it has a chance to dry.  If I am feeling ambitious I will get out the chamois  and dry it off.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#6]
It looks cool but to be honest I think they are more valuable for making visually appealing detailing content than they are for washing. IMO with rinseless washing chemicals being what they are, foam cannons seem to be primarily useful for loosening heavy dirt and deposits. If you keep up with washing though I think you’re mostly just blasting through soap for fun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I want to see some side by side tests with a foam cannon and fancy soap vs a normal hose with a dispenser filled with dish soap and see if there's much difference as a pre wash. When I let my car get too bad and I was lazy I'd take a spray bottle of simple green and wet my car down a few minutes before I drove into the carwash.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:09:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I want to see some side by side tests with a foam cannon and fancy soap vs a normal hose with a dispenser filled with dish soap and see if there's much difference as a pre wash. When I let my car get too bad and I was lazy I'd take a spray bottle of simple green and wet my car down a few minutes before I drove into the carwash.
View Quote

Never ever use dish soap on a cars finish
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:04:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IdahoPCCinc] [#9]
Originally Posted By hsvhobbit:
Seen loads of references on here and utube about foam cannons. ESP those using a pressure washer.  But if I understand their use, you STILL have to wash by hand after using one. So is the process, spray vehicle all over with soap foam, then go at it with your microfiber cloth and then rinse/dry?  If so, what’s the benefit to the extra step of foaming everything.  

I’ve watched a ton of utubes and I’m just not getting the appeal.
View Quote

So you've seen video's....and read reviews........Then why start a thread ??

What new piece of information do you expect to uncover with starting a thread, that you didn't already see with the videos, or already read about ??

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By IdahoPCCinc:

So you've seen video's....and read reviews........Then why start a thread ??

What new piece of information do you expect to uncover with starting a thread, that you didn't already see with the videos, or already read about ??

View Quote

If this theory was used these discussion forums would shrivel up and die. Discussion of different topics is why they exist. It always drives me nuts when someone asks a question and 10 people jump down their throat telling them to use the search when every one of them could have just as easily taken that time to answer the question.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I use one for cleaning the ATV's. Pressure wash, Foam Cannon with Wash Chems Pro 50 , Pressure rinse. Makes it look WAY cleaner than a pressure wash alone.

The foamy soap does a really good job of emulsifying dirt/debris from the surface, but it doesn't take away the elbow work if you're going for perfection.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Goostoff:

Never ever use dish soap on a cars finish
View Quote

Unless your plan is to completely strip off all the older waxes and sealants to start over.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:06:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:

Unless your plan is to completely strip off all the older waxes and sealants to start over.
View Quote

Consider the next statement about spraying down the car with Simple Green, I didn't think stripping wax with dish soap was the problem.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:39:32 AM EDT
[#14]
My son bought a foam cannon, and it works well, but pulling out the pressure washer and hooking it up every time you want to wash the car is a pain.
I think someone makes a foam cannon that you hook up to your hose, which makes thing s a lot simpler.
I use a bucket and a large horsehair brush that I bought from Eastwood years ago, and it does an excellent job.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Missing the point.  Bikini car wash.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
Missing the point.  Bikini car wash.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#17]
For those questioning my reason for starting this thread after watching vids, it’s simple. I wanted to see if I was missing some benefit that wasn’t covered and to get other’s perspective. My apologies if I’ve wasted site bandwidth and will remember that guidance for any further topics. For the rest of the responders, thanks for your inputs and I appreciate your own experiences.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#18]
For me, my son thinks it's cool, so he'll wash the cars!
Best $20 I've spent in a while.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I love my foam cannon.  Pressure wash the car, foam cannon it, then let it set and drip off for a while.  I usually foam it again as I wash it down with my mit at that point.  Then rinse and dry.  It doesn't take a lot more time and it keeps the soap on the car while cleaning it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#20]
It’s all about reducing scratching. Any time you contact the paint there is a chance of scratching, therefore washing and drying the vehicle are the main sources of inducing love marks to the paint. If you pre wash the vehicle using a foam cannon this will remove all the sand mud dirt and debris off the paint surface. Then when you follow up with your contact wash all you are removing is road film, not dragging abrasives across the paint. If you follow this up by drying the car using the non contact method of a leaf blower, you are good to go.
Obviously this is vehicle dependent. If you are washing your jeep that you just got back from wheeling where tree branches scrapped down all sides of it then you probably don’t care too much about micro scratches in you paint and using a foam cannon is a waste. Different story if you are washing a clients $250k show car…
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#21]
If the car is just dusty, foam cannons do fine.  It wont clean road film/bugs/mud/bird crap so if your car is actually dirty, it wont do a good job.  You will still need to scrub.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By hsvhobbit:
For those questioning my reason for starting this thread after watching vids, it’s simple. I wanted to see if I was missing some benefit that wasn’t covered and to get other’s perspective. My apologies if I’ve wasted site bandwidth and will remember that guidance for any further topics. For the rest of the responders, thanks for your inputs and I appreciate your own experiences.
View Quote

REPORTED!

Nah, actually I learned a bit on the subject, so thanks for starting it. Foam cannons are pretty cheap, so I'm thinking it'll be a good tool to have on hand.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top