Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:25:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VVinci:

No, they haven't. At this point, their choices are to either play chicken with the states that have agreed to conform to CA regs banning  non-EVs, or to race to play catchup to build EVs on their own.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:

Toyota has seem to have found a way.

No, they haven't. At this point, their choices are to either play chicken with the states that have agreed to conform to CA regs banning  non-EVs, or to race to play catchup to build EVs on their own.

Toyota has not been sitting idly by. It's been heavily investing in battery R&D, knowing that leap-frogging the current battery state-of-the-art is the key to shifting the market, & them being in the forefront of it will be key to market dominance.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Esterhase:

Every time I visit my dad in Spain I fall in love again with the little i4 diesels, and wonder what could have been. He told me the EU is after them there, too.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Esterhase:
Originally Posted By K5FAL:
Cars could have been made almost perfect with turbo-Diesels (40+mpg and plenty of power) but then these leftists and their scumbag "expert class" had to come along and ruin everything.

Every time I visit my dad in Spain I fall in love again with the little i4 diesels, and wonder what could have been. He told me the EU is after them there, too.
Good grief yes i'd love a little turbo diesel again or a turbo diesel plug-in hybrid. That would be amazing.

My '14 VW Jetta TDI Manual was an amazing car for the price. I racked up almost 30k miles in one year driving it. Was solid on the highway, around town, or even on some back roads if I wanted to get a little frisky.

I always wondered what taking something like the little turbo diesel the Chevy Cruze had and swapped the gas engine out of the Volt for it would be a pretty slick little setup.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By P400:
This is what Ford was saying about it in July of 2023.
So their actual losses per vehicle exceeded these estimates, and have more than doubled in less than a year.
View Quote

The number of produced EVs was probably far less than predicted so loss per vehicle would increase.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Look at the state-level regs already quoted. These states combined represent a large enough percentage of the total US market as to make selling EVs a de facto federal mandate. Meanwhile, DOJ, who should be suing under the interstate commerce clause, is spending all its time rounding up J6 ruffians and coordinating Trump's kangaroo courts.
View Quote

As I said before, the automakers need to fight back.  No cars period for those states and if the regulations are not rescinded shut down all production until the changes are made.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#5]
That's what happens when business is being driven by politics and death-cult religions.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

Toyota has not been sitting idly by. It's been heavily investing in battery R&D, knowing that leap-frogging the current battery state-of-the-art is the key to shifting the market, & them being in the forefront of it will be key to market dominance.
View Quote

They've made a lot of promises for their new battery, but haven't shown it can be delivered. There is a lot more to building an EV than just having a good pack, too. I'm not saying Toyota is doomed or anything, but their latest round of hybrids hasn't impressed anyone other than Toyota fanbois with their performance, so that battery had better deliver, or it will be a case of trying to do everything at once and getting mediocre results due to lack of focus.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

As I said before, the automakers need to fight back.  No cars period for those states and if the regulations are not rescinded shut down all production until the changes are made.
View Quote

They can't really afford to do that, just doesn't work with the industry's economics.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Meh. This is what launching a new product line costs in the industry. This is also why big companies are incredibly bad at innovation - because the bets they have to place to get a return are epic in size, and if the bets go bad, well.....
View Quote

So maybe focus on what customers want rather than try and outguess fickle an unrealistic government edicts?  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By K5FAL:
Cars could have been made almost perfect with turbo-Diesels (40+mpg and plenty of power) but then these leftists and their scumbag “expert class” had to come along and ruin everything.
View Quote

[lib]”Doesn’t everyone live in a major city? You can walk or take public transportation. Besides, personal vehicles are the spawn of the Patriarchy.”[/lib]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Maximizing the loss for tax reasons.

Large upfront startup cost spread over a small number of units.

Remember Tesla had huge per unit losses for years. They are now turning a consistent profit.

I know arf wants this to mean electric cars are doomed but this is accounting and the realities of startups, and not conceptual failure.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#11]
How the fuck is that even possible?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#12]
If they really cared about the planet that wouldn't matter....
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:
How can such a large company be that out of touch with what the market demands for a product they are selling? Especially such a high dollar item.
View Quote

It’s not out of touch. It’s the money men demanding corporations toe the woke line or their lines of credit dry up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
The US auto makers need to band together and openly demand that US regulations and policies that serve to force them to make EVs be immediately revoked.  Otherwise they will shut down manufacturing in 120 days.
View Quote

And, the institutional investors will vote the entire C-suite team out and hire a new team that is loyal to The Cause.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

I think the biggest takeaway here is that no one knows how to deal with these EVs yet.

No one. It was forced on us too quick.
View Quote

Gosh, who could have predicted the Government choosing the product instead of the Market choosing would fail? Nevah happened befo’!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
Good grief yes i'd love a little turbo diesel again or a turbo diesel plug-in hybrid. That would be amazing.

My '14 VW Jetta TDI Manual was an amazing car for the price. I racked up almost 30k miles in one year driving it. Was solid on the highway, around town, or even on some back roads if I wanted to get a little frisky.

I always wondered what taking something like the little turbo diesel the Chevy Cruze had and swapped the gas engine out of the Volt for it would be a pretty slick little setup.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#17]
They can't really afford to do that, just doesn't work with the industry's economics.
View Quote

Bite the bullet and take short term negatives for long-term profitability.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By brownbomber:
View Quote

A decent number of people in this thread don't know the difference between fixed costs and marginal costs.

Ford is not losing an additional $132,000 every time an EV rolls out the back door of the assembly plant.  What's really happening is they have some pretty large fixed program costs that aren't getting covered at the volumes they are currently shipping right now.  

I don't know if Ford's EV ambitions are in trouble or not but you wouldn't know it from this particular factoid.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By woodsie:

A decent number of people in this thread don't know the difference between fixed costs and marginal costs.

Ford is not losing an additional $132,000 every time an EV rolls out the back door of the assembly plant.  What's really happening is they have some pretty large fixed program costs that aren't getting covered at the volumes they are currently shipping right now.  

I don't know if Ford's EV ambitions are in trouble or not but you wouldn't know it from this particular factoid.
View All Quotes

Yep, articles like this are annoying and nobody reads the whole thing.

The company posted a net income of $1.3 billion in the first quarter, with revenues of $42.8 billion.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
View Quote

Yeah, IMO a really killer solution would be a small efficient diesel paired with a short range hybrid setup (for extra torque starting out from stoplights, etc.).

Something that gets 50mpg combined, but has a decent amount of get up and go (0-60 in the 7 second range would be fine)....

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jollyg83:

Business 101.  You take your losses and spread it out amongst your profitable products.  

And we the consumers get to pay for their pet EV projects that they lose money on.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jollyg83:
Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:
Charging too much for their other shit if they're covering those losses.

Business 101.  You take your losses and spread it out amongst your profitable products.  

And we the consumers get to pay for their pet EV projects that they lose money on.

Pretty much they sucked biden ass and jumped on the ev bandwagon without really knowing if anyone wanted to really buy them.
mary barra did the same thing with gm going all in expecting the gov to force the cars on the citizens.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Out standing the Biden suck ups need to go broke.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
Tesla is the only company that profits from electric vehicles because manufacturing is designed around it and they charge what it takes to make a profit.  

Every other manufacturer only makes them to lower their fleet mileage for government bullshit .  The upcharge every other vehicle to make up the loss.
View Quote

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32346670/other-automakers-paid-tesla-record-354-million/

Other Automakers Paid Tesla a Record $428 Million Last Quarter

Automakers buy regulatory credits, and a lot of them, from Tesla in order to comply with emissions regulations around the world.

UPDATE 7/22/2020: Tesla reported that it had earned $428 million in regulatory credits during the second quarter of this year, besting the $354 million posted last quarter.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:36:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#24]
Originally Posted By grey50beast:

I'm getting at the fact that developing products costs money. Tooling up to build new vehicles costs money.  They won't return their investment on EVs for a hot minute. Remember all the "Tesla bankruptcy looming" threads when they lost money for every car? Only once the tooling is paid down and the majority of the one time costs, R&D, etc are taken care of will a new product see profitability.  Whether it will actually continue to be viable as a business model for Ford remains to be seen.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/capitalexpenditure.asp
Capital expenditures (CapEx) are funds used by a company to acquire, upgrade, and maintain physical assets such as property, plants, buildings, technology, or equipment. CapEx is often used to undertake new projects or investments by a company. Making capital expenditures on fixed assets can include repairing a roof (if the useful life of the roof is extended), purchasing a piece of equipment, or building a new factory. This type of financial outlay is made by companies to increase the scope of their operations or add some future economic benefit to the operation.

Ok ... so what are you getting at?

I'm getting at the fact that developing products costs money. Tooling up to build new vehicles costs money.  They won't return their investment on EVs for a hot minute. Remember all the "Tesla bankruptcy looming" threads when they lost money for every car? Only once the tooling is paid down and the majority of the one time costs, R&D, etc are taken care of will a new product see profitability.  Whether it will actually continue to be viable as a business model for Ford remains to be seen.

... and if the product is not profitable, and you can't make it profitable, you should take it off the market.

100k + in the hole on every single car is what is called a "clue."

Once your costs are sunk, the product itself should bring back (profits to cover your cost of) investment.

How long will it take if the margin per vehicle is that high?

And what are the equivalent costs for a clean sheet ICE engine'd vehicle. Or a hybrid?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Crash1433:

shhh....the automotive luddites are having a good time. No need to ruin it with facts.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Crash1433:
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:
Didn't Tesla loose a bunch of money on each car they sold when they first started selling car also?

shhh....the automotive luddites are having a good time. No need to ruin it with facts.

How dare anyone notice they're being sold at a $100k loss!

Nobody should notice that.

Definitely don't see where things are later and remember that number.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#26]
How the          is that even possible?
View Quote

Insane production costs, meaning the buyers are not seeing anything *like* the actual prices that would cover the costs of production.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

View All Quotes

The company posted a net income of $1.3 billion in the first quarter, with revenues of $42.8 billion.

That's almost as annoying as people who can't even bother to read thread titles.

Lost money on each EV.

Not

"Ford is going broke"

It's like some people never got past an elementary school level of reading.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Ok, fair enough.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#29]

That's almost as annoying as people who can't even bother to read thread titles.

Lost money on each EV.

Not

"Ford is going broke"

View All Quotes

Lost money on each EV.

Not

"Ford is going broke"

Or those that can’t figure out they weren’t part of the quote chain.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Lost money on each EV.

Not

"Ford is going broke"

Almost as bad as people who forget who's thread they're in.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#31]
hahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Nothing to celebrate here, the consumer still pays for these indirect taxes, and the ford CEO still gives blowjobs to Biden and Obama so he can make his millions
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:42:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Bailout
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Ford losing $5 billion a year with their EV program is not a viable economic strategy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#36]

... and if the product is not profitable, and you can't make it profitable, you should take it off the market.

Once your costs are sunk, the product itself should bring back (profits to cover your cost of) investment.

And what are the equivalent costs for a clean sheet ICE engine'd vehicle. Or a hybrid?
View Quote
Mustang generations loose more money, but Ford still makes bank on them.

EV's are not a conspiracy. Some people like fast cars without much opex. Some people want "Eco" cars with tax benefits. Some people want to pay for gas cars that they can drive 6000 miles without recharging.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Insane production costs, meaning the buyers are not seeing anything *like* the actual prices that would cover the costs of production.
View Quote

Lol. No.

You can't sell things at the "actual cost!!", you sell them at the price the market will bear.

So when you have a lot of up front costs the per unit price is a loss until you recoup your sunk costs.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:00:50 AM EDT
[#38]
FJB & FEVs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:09:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grey50beast] [#39]

View Quote

You still don't get it and I don't have time to explain how a business works to you.

Good luck with your fun little EV/Ford bashing thread.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:22:12 AM EDT
[#40]
I voted two weeks ago for the Board of Directors.
I voted against Farley and everyone who had any leftist connections.
It's just one vote, but that's all I've got.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:33:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: P400] [#41]

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32346670/other-automakers-paid-tesla-record-354-million/

Automakers buy regulatory credits, and a lot of them, from Tesla in order to comply with emissions regulations around the world.

UPDATE 7/22/2020: Tesla reported that it had earned $428 million in regulatory credits during the second quarter of this year, besting the $354 million posted last quarter.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
Tesla is the only company that profits from electric vehicles because manufacturing is designed around it and they charge what it takes to make a profit.  

Every other manufacturer only makes them to lower their fleet mileage for government bullshit .  The upcharge every other vehicle to make up the loss.

Yup. Stellantis threw a fit about not buying any more Tesla credits a few months ago.

Automotive clown world
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Ford reported Q1 revenue up 3% to $42.8 billion while EPS fell 22% to 49 cents. Wall Street expected earnings per share down 32% to 43 cents with sales totaling $42.93 billion. Earlier this month, Ford announced U.S. sales grew 6.8% in Q1, with overall EV sales including hybrids jumping 82%.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Doooooom!!! Losing $132k per vehicle!!!111!!!

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Good.

Fuck ‘em.

People don’t want the shit and the only reason it’s even a thing is because government wants to try and shove them down our throats.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Once the big three are completely destroyed the only alternative left that will help America save the planet will be Chinese vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Ford reported Q1 revenue up 3% to $42.8 billion while EPS fell 22% to 49 cents. Wall Street expected earnings per share down 32% to 43 cents with sales totaling $42.93 billion. Earlier this month, Ford announced U.S. sales grew 6.8% in Q1, with overall EV sales including hybrids jumping 82%.
View Quote

It would be nice to have better information.  What part of the "loss" is an accounting method for sunk R&D costs and how long will that occur?

As for Ford EV sales jumping 82%, that may be misleading.  Some sources state that Ford counts as a sale any vehicle that is sent to a dealer.  If there are thousands of vehicles on the dealer lots, it is still a Ford sale.    That is not correct in my world so finding how many days of EVs are at dealers may tell more of a complete story.  If the EVs are piling up I would expect dealers to quit accepting them.  Would Ford then cut production and that show up as a drop in sales?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:41:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#47]

You still don't get it and I don't have time to explain how a business works to you.

View All Quotes

Ah.

How dare anyone not think the same thing as you.

Especially how dare anyone ask you what you think!

Nobody has the right to know what you think, especially when you insult them for not already knowing it!

If you aren't willing to explain yourself, don't whinge when people ask you what you mean.
----------------------
If I had to guess (and you're pretty much making that the only choice now)
You thought you'd drop a juicy fun insult and nobody would dare ask what you mean...

And now you realize you'll look like an idiot if you actually answer it?

I expect it's pretty safe to believe you aren't adult and self controlled enough to overcome your stupid ego and just give an honest answer and explanation.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
I hope they sell millions.
View Quote

Maybe that’s why they announced a few months ago they were dropping most electric vehicle models.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:45:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grey50beast] [#49]

Ah.

How dare anyone not think the same thing as you.

Especially how dare anyone ask you what you think!

Nobody has the right to know what you think, especially when you insult them for not already knowing it!

If you aren't willing to explain yourself, don't whinge when people ask you what you mean.
----------------------
If I had to guess (and you're pretty much making that the only choice now)
You thought you'd drop a juicy fun insult and nobody would dare ask what you mean...

And now you realize you'll look like an idiot if you actually answer it?

I expect it's pretty safe to believe you aren't adult and self controlled enough to overcome your stupid ego and just give an honest answer and explanation.
View Quote

How about I just paste more of the article that your click bait site cut out?

The losses go far beyond the cost of building and selling those 10,000 cars, according to Ford. Instead the losses include hundreds of millions being spent on research and development of the next generation of EVs for Ford. Those investments are years away from paying off.

And that means this is not the end of the losses in the unit - Ford said it expects Model e will have EBIT losses of $5 billion for the full year.

The company said it is its “intention” to be have EV pricing cover the actual costs of building each EV, rather than covering all the research and development costs, within the next 12 months.
View Quote

Again, in business it costs money to develop, tool up and build a product. I am going through this on a small scale with my business right now. I won't make money on the first 3 units that I am building for a client. I'll make money on the next 17 though.  

The diatribe you typed out took longer than finding real info. What does that say about egos and projection, while dropping juicy, fun clickbait?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#50]
The way of the future!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top