Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2024 4:54:24 PM EDT
So my friend msg’ed me telling me that he needed some help and expertise on fixing a firearm for him and also advising him on what scope to get for a 50 bmg rifle he got.  He sent me a pic of the 50 bmg and it looked like those old vulcan/hesse rifles that self destruct and surgically implant a bolt into your chest when fired.  I asked him what the brand of the rifle was.  He said he didn’t know.  I just told him to look on the gun and it should say the brand name or manufacturer.  He said he couldn’t find anything.

Anyway he brought it over and i started looking all over it and couldn’t find a brand name.  He bought it off a state surplus auction site.  Here is where it gets weird.  I found the serial number.  It looks like an after the fact serial number hammered in by somebody who didn’t care.  The first three letters of the serial number are “ATF”.  I told him i think he bought a homemade 50 cal that was confiscated by the aft but somehow wound up on a state auction site.  I would assume if the atf got it, it would have been destroyed.  I told him to be careful when he fires it for the first time.  I do have pics of the rifle but forgot to get a pic of the serial number.  I don’t know how to post pics but can send it to someone to post.

Any thoughts on if the atf does serial numbers but then releases the rifle back into the wild?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#1]
No pics?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pedaler:
No pics?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Im gunna mark my cetme with a ATF serial number just to confuse the fuck out of someone down the road
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe it was built specifically for the ATF for some reason?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By chase45:
Im gunna mark my cetme with a ATF serial number just to confuse the fuck out of someone down the road
View Quote
"NSA" or "CIA" would work too...
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#6]
No fucking way I'd shoot someone else's homemade .50bmg.

Nope.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Mojo_Jojo:
View Quote

Damn you right

CIA would be about right for a space age lookin CETME L
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Any thoughts on if the atf does serial numbers but then releases the rifle back into the wild?    
View Quote

More likely it was seized by state or local LE.  For any number of reasons unrelated to the rifle itself.  Then, as some agencies do, it was auctioned off.  Some one with a sense of humor may have stamped the ATF serial number on it.  If it is a home built it doesn't require a serial number, but some put serial numbers on their home builts anyway.  Not a bad idea if it gets stolen.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

Nope.
View Quote

I 110% agree.  I told him to tie a string and hide behind his truck to fire it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Is the suffix for the serial number “SUX 1”?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Nope.
View Quote

Even mine?

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By pedaler:
No pics?
View Quote

I can email you the pic if you promise to post it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chase45:

I had a known manufacturer bolt action receiver that had the serial number "showgun" and it was engraved after blueing.

Kinda wish I'd kept that. Was gonna be a sweet .338 Lapua in a McMillan LOD stock with Wilson 416SS ECM poly rifled bbl.

Got tired of it sitting in the shop looking at me and asking when I was gonna build her.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Wubaru:

View Quote

Yall be sure to post a video.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:11:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wubaru] [#15]
View Quote

Holy snikes that looks like the same bolt handle/action that my friend has.  Is that a kit that you built?  His has the same horizontal oval slots like yours but his has a super high weaver mount welded onto the receiver.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Nope.
View Quote

I have, but I watched other people shoot it first.  I am unaware of any catastrophic disassemblies with home built .50s.  Not picking on Mark Serbu, but I have seen the results of one of his .50s coming apart.  To be fair, that was an ammunition problem, not a construction problem.  Some times bad things happen when there is a dysfunction conjunction.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Hello fellow firearms enthusiast.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Holy snikes that looks like the same bolt handle/action that my friend has.  Is that a kit that you built?
View Quote

Maddi griffin. Was from blueprints. It is proper heat treat on it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Nope.

Doesn't really matter if it holds together once or 10 times.

Without knowing the material, heat treat, and some other stuff that isnt hard to measure if you're in the trade, you could just as well be setting up stress fractures or metal fatigue.

Tell him to watch the Kentucky Ballistics video of a .50 coming apart and nearly killing him. I wont comment on Scott's wisdom in his course of actions that day. Glad he came through it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MiskeetShooter1:
Hello fellow firearms enthusiast.
View Quote

Hello fellow Glowie
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:

View All Quotes

Holy snikes that looks like the same bolt handle/action that my friend has.  Is that a kit that you built?

Thanks!  I will pass that info onto him.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Just to be sure, you should stamp a few dozen more serial numbers on it in various places.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:17:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wubaru] [#23]
I googled maddi griffin and that is the rifle that he has.  Arfcom autists are amazing!

Atf raided Maadi Grifin
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes

Nope.

Even mine?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14562/IMG_1768_JPG-1216756.jpg

I would trust yours. I watched your build thread.

I built one kinda like the SWAT actions Klaus Horstkamp used to build. 17-4ph at 45-47 Rc and over built by about 4x. I trusted that one.

Ultramagbyron had a sweet falling block .50 half built by an old school gunsmith friend of his. I tried to buy it from him but he wouldn't sell. Caught up to him on akfiles and he had sold it....fargin bastage.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

...without pics.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

It's so small!

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I googled maddi griffin and that is the rifle that he has.  Arfcom autists are amazing!

Atf raided Maadi Grifin
View Quote

No worries on that if done to spec. It’s over built by 4x. Very safe design. LAR copied it for their 50.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By grendelbane:

I have, but I watched other people shoot it first.  I am unaware of any catastrophic disassemblies with home built .50s.  Not picking on Mark Serbu, but I have seen the results of one of his .50s coming apart.  To be fair, that was an ammunition problem, not a construction problem.  Some times bad things happen when there is a dysfunction conjunction.
View Quote

The tiny threads on that rear cap and the very short engagement are enough to make a freshly graduated MechE say....uh, nope.

Agree Scott was playing with dynamite and I always recommend stopping with ANY firearm when anomalies start to crop up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Agree Scott was playing with dynamite and I always recommend stopping with ANY firearm when anomalies start to crop up.  
View Quote

Exactly!  As far as Serbu's rifle goes, there are several out there, and yet they seem to do well when used with the proper ammunition.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I was t the range and a guy brought a 50, first one I've seen, there was steel foil where the muzzle brake was machined,
I told him, he shrugged and continued to set up, I got out of there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#31]
A homemade .50bmg is an industrial grade nope.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Exactly!  As far as Serbu's rifle goes, there are several out there, and yet they seem to do well when used with the proper ammunition.
View All Quotes

True, but you dont know how close to the edge you are. I haven't done the math on those threads. I do know they are one hell of a lot weaker than the barrel threads on a standard M2 bbl.

I like a lot of safety factor. A friend had me work on his Savage target .22-250. Seeing the plasma cutting on the bolt face and enough brass flow to turn it into a belted case.....I have a lot of respect for those savage receivers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By shaggy:

A homemade .50bmg is an industrial grade nope.
View Quote
Second this!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:40:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KoolOperator] [#34]
It's probably a Madi kit built gun. After FTATF ran the guy into the ground they retroactively decided his 80% receivers were complete guns, and using his customer list they stole off his computer, contacted the customers and demanded a serial number be added, provided by them, with the ATF prefix.

They are a fine and sound design. It's a giant two lug bolt and usually FAL based fire control group. I've put many rounds through them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#35]
.50BMG Bullpup hard pass,

Borrowed a friends Barrett M99 and it felt like getting punched in the face, with every trigger pull.

Agree I wouldnt shoot some franken .50
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Nope.
View Quote

Seriously. No way in hell.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#37]
True, but you dont know how close to the edge you are. I haven't done the math on those threads. I do know they are one hell of a lot weaker than the barrel threads on a standard M2 bbl.    
View Quote

Apparently Mark Serbu has done the math.  I have seen the yt videos where he discusses this. I didn't audit his math, but it is not like some one just going, "By gosh that should be good enough".
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Kinda chuckling at that sight on that rifle.  

More importantly, tell me about the dog.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:45:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#39]
Some clown at a local range brought in a .50bmg and setup.  Before he does anything he asks me if I wanted to shoot it.  I was like sure, go ahead and send a few down and I will try it.

He say no, I want you to shoot it first, I have never fired it before.

I declined the offer to be his crash test dummy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Damn dude; even yours!

You are undoubtedly a great rifle builder, we’ve seen many examples of fine quality work you’ve done.

I just find it un-nerving to park my face on top of 60,000 psi. I want to have a fighting chance of avoiding shrapnel…

Don’t like bullpups of any flavor.

Good looking rifle though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Nope.
View Quote

Yeah, some things are okay to skimp on.  Things calibered in .50 bmg aren’t included.  The dude on Kentucky Ballistics is a good source of information on this subject.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Yea I'm not shooting that.

Only way this gets better is if it came with some .50 BMG shells that came in a gallon sized ziplock bag marked "HOT DEFENSE LOADS" in sharpee.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By southerncross:

Yep. Not even a question. If I did find something like that I'd take it to a gunsmith, a REAL one, and have him look it over before I even thought of buying it.
View All Quotes

Nope.

Yep. Not even a question. If I did find something like that I'd take it to a gunsmith, a REAL one, and have him look it over before I even thought of buying it.

I'd take it to a stress analyst and materials test lab 1st, a gun Smith won't know shit about a ho.e build
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DKUltra:
.50BMG Bullpup hard pass,

Borrowed a friends Barrett M99 and it felt like getting punched in the face, with every trigger pull.

Agree I wouldnt shoot some franken .50
View Quote

Don’t know why the DT/DTA video of a deliberate destruction test with a seriously over pressure .50BMG round in their HTi is gone. Used to be able to find it online. While it would suck to be on the gun when something like that happens, what impressed me, was that the design expelled the force away from the shooter.

You see the same thing with the design of ARs when someone kabooms a 5.56 with a 300BLK (and there’s a video of that type of kaboom in a Tavor. Shooter throws the Tavor to the ground in disgust, but was unharmed).

That’s what I don’t like about that particular Serbu (and the old Vulcan/Hess/whatever) .50BMGs. When they fail, stuff comes back at the shooter at lethal velocities.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Seadra_tha_Guineapig:

I'd take it to a stress analyst and materials test lab 1st, a gun Smith won't know shit about a ho.e build
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seadra_tha_Guineapig:

Nope.

A real gunsmith would. There aren't many.

As the story comes out, if it is one of Stewart's guns, it would probably be OK.

Still not for me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:05:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ridgerunner9876] [#47]
Here. I made you a song, OP. @wubaru

https://suno.com/song/9c120006-08be-4557-bb80-8361a0d660d7

Oh, yeah. @ronin72

Like this
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#48]
pics?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#50]

I'm talking about an actual machinist type gunsmith that understands pressure, necessary wall/thread to load ratios, etc. My gunsmith has an engineering degree also.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seadra_tha_Guineapig:  I'd take it to a stress analyst and materials test lab 1st, a gun Smith won't know shit about a ho.e build

I'm talking about an actual machinist type gunsmith that understands pressure, necessary wall/thread to load ratios, etc. My gunsmith has an engineering degree also.

It's a Maadi-Griffin, down to the ATF dictated serial number.  According to ATF, it's not a homebuilt.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top