Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Wubaru:
So my friend msg'ed me telling me that he needed some help and expertise on fixing a firearm for him and also advising him on what scope to get for a 50 bmg rifle he got.  He sent me a pic of the 50 bmg and it looked like those old vulcan/hesse rifles that self destruct and surgically implant a bolt into your chest when fired.  I asked him what the brand of the rifle was.  He said he didn't know.  I just told him to look on the gun and it should say the brand name or manufacturer.  He said he couldn't find anything.

Anyway he brought it over and i started looking all over it and couldn't find a brand name.  He bought it off a state surplus auction site.  Here is where it gets weird.  I found the serial number.  It looks like an after the fact serial number hammered in by somebody who didn't care.  The first three letters of the serial number are "ATF".  I told him i think he bought a homemade 50 cal that was confiscated by the aft but somehow wound up on a state auction site.  I would assume if the atf got it, it would have been destroyed.  I told him to be careful when he fires it for the first time.  I do have pics of the rifle but forgot to get a pic of the serial number.  I don't know how to post pics but can send it to someone to post.

Any thoughts on if the atf does serial numbers but then releases the rifle back into the wild?
View Quote
If its the one I seen at WI Surplus Auction, its a Maadi Griffin.

Was it like this?

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#2]
There was an old AR manufacturer that used the abbreviation of C.I.A.

This sometimes produced humorous results at the fun show. (Rando drunk wobbles up to the table) "Wanna buy a gun that belonged to the C.I.A.?"

(This is where would explain it to them but you're out of crayons. So you just laugh.)
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
Some clown at a local range brought in a .50bmg and setup.  Before he does anything he asks me if I wanted to shoot it.  I was like sure, go ahead and send a few down and I will try it.

He say no, I want you to shoot it first, I have never fired it before.

I declined the offer to be his crash test dummy.
View Quote

Wow that dude has a set a balls on him. A hi ho fuck you should have been the reply!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Rob940:
If its the one I seen at WI Surplus Auction, its a Maadi Griffin.

Was it like this?
https://dygtyjqp7pi0m.cloudfront.net/i/15838/15786683_1.jpg?v=8CFF3CB1280C970
View Quote

Yep looks like that one exactly but his is a shiny blue color…..looks like a pimp painted it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The ATF declared Maadi-Griffin kits as firearms even though the ATF only tested them with blanks and not live rounds. I can shoot blanks from an aluminum tube but would not want to fire live rounds that way. Then he Maadi-Griffin screwed up and tried to hired someone to kill the judge.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:31:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wubaru] [#6]
For all the autists that can only read pictures here is a link to the auction.  

Big boom!

Edit:  For the snarky people in the thread, this is the firearm this is the exact firearm he bought of the website.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Ive got a full set of plans for "the big 50" im gonna start one of these days.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
There was an old AR manufacturer that used the abbreviation of C.I.A.

This sometimes produced humorous results at the fun show. (Rando drunk wobbles up to the table) "Wanna buy a gun that belonged to the C.I.A.?"

(This is where would explain it to them but you're out of crayons. So you just laugh.)
View Quote

Century International Arms was "asked" by the feds to change their import mark to CAI.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Then he Maadi-Griffin screwed up and tried to hired someone to kill the judge.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I may be wrong but wasn’t that Burt’s rifle in the 2nd Tremors movie.  The one he shot the shrieker and engine block with?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Southrnshooter:
I may be wrong but wasn't that Burt's rifle in the 2nd Tremors movie.  The one he shot the shrieker and engine block with?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43482/IMG_6201_jpeg-3197117.JPG
View Quote

that's a LAR but someone else in this thread said LAR copied the griffin so  yes?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Mikhail_86:

that's a LAR but someone else in this thread said LAR copied the griffin so  yes?
View Quote

I thought they looked very similar…
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ohio:

Century International Arms was "asked" by the feds to change their import mark to CAI.
View Quote

They didn't want the cartels getting confused
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By brandon_:

Kinda chuckling at that sight on that rifle.  

More importantly, tell me about the dog.
View Quote

He is a Bassadore. Basset/black lab.

Personally, nose of the basset. the food drive of the lab. Think a Black lab with short legs.

The best dog I have owned.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine has been fired with the 1000Gr bullet proof load. No issues there is SO much meat on that action, and the lugs are way over sized.

It was a fun project, in the shop some where I have a second receiver and barrel. to build a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:49:44 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:
No fucking way I'd shoot someone else's homemade .50bmg.

Nope.

Even mine?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14562/IMG_1768_JPG-1216756.jpg

That looks like it’ll knock fillings out of your teeth
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:

Yeah, some things are okay to skimp on.  Things calibered in .50 bmg aren’t included.  The dude on Kentucky Ballistics is a good source of information on this subject.
View Quote

Is that the retard stuffing unknown gun show ammo into a Serbu rifle?

Real genius. Should get a nobel prize on his knowledge.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

View Quote

And to add, lets shoot a sabot through a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:33:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I built a 50 bmg but I cheated and used a massive factory action.

" />

My brake
" />

It's a big bitch
" />
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:43:50 AM EDT
[#20]

I would trust yours. I watched your build thread.

I built one kinda like the SWAT actions Klaus Horstkamp used to build. 17-4ph at 45-47 Rc and over built by about 4x. I trusted that one.

Ultramagbyron had a sweet falling block .50 half built by an old school gunsmith friend of his. I tried to buy it from him but he wouldn't sell. Caught up to him on akfiles and he had sold it....fargin bastage.
View Quote
I miss Klaus. Never a phone call that didn't go an hour long. My foray into fitties began with MaadiGriffin. Still have a blueprint book somewhere.  I got some of Klaus's early parts and hand built one. Later, when he was doing complete rifles,  I got one of the 'tactical' versions, #244. Still have both guns in the family.  The parts gun took a year to complete,  mostly because I had to make a stock, something with which I had very minimal experience.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:29:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JKH62] [#22]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

It's a Maadi-Griffin, down to the ATF dictated serial number.  According to ATF, it's not a homebuilt.
View Quote

AFT went after the rifle "kits" they sold that were deemed more than 80% or some other factor.
People that had them were contacted by AFT and informed they had to apply an approved serial number or turn over the kit.

My shooting bud had one and was contacted by AFT and those were his options.

Home built 50's can be fun....

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#23]
What are his thoughts on slap rounds?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Hey guys I saw this thing that was super weird help me identify it no I did not get any photos despite the fact I have a camera in my hand all day why do you ask thanks bye
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By GrinningDag:
What are his thoughts on slap rounds?
View Quote

Do not buy reloads & do not fire thru a brake.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:  Yeah, some things are okay to skimp on.  Things calibered in .50 bmg aren’t included.  The dude on Kentucky Ballistics is a good source of information on this subject.

Was a retard.  He took the equivalent of a college course in firearms safety and lived to tell the tale.  He's a lot safer now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
Hey guys I saw this thing that was super weird help me identify it no I did not get any photos despite the fact I have a camera in my hand all day why do you ask thanks bye
View Quote

And yet we figured out what he has, where it came from the history of it, plus several other examples of home builds, and even a song.....

All without your snark.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Yea I'm not shooting that.

Only way this gets better is if it came with some .50 BMG shells that came in a gallon sized ziplock bag marked "HOT DEFENSE LOADS" in sharpee.
View Quote

WTF, cheap ammo is cheap ammo!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Southrnshooter:
I may be wrong but wasn’t that Burt’s rifle in the 2nd Tremors movie.  The one he shot the shrieker and engine block with?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43482/IMG_6201_jpeg-3197117.JPG
View Quote

When ya need it and ain't got it...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#30]
50BMG or any magnum rifle are not for poors… buy something reputable or end up like that youtube guy who almost blew his face off (granted that one was due to counterfeit ammo)

His best option is to deactivate it and use it as a display piece.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Doesn't really matter if it holds together once or 10 times.

Without knowing the material, heat treat, and some other stuff that isnt hard to measure if you're in the trade, you could just as well be setting up stress fractures or metal fatigue.

Tell him to watch the Kentucky Ballistics video of a .50 coming apart and nearly killing him. I wont comment on Scott's wisdom in his course of actions that day. Glad he came through it.
View Quote

Yeah, using slap ammo on a firearm he knew ge wasn't supposed to use slap ammo on is the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
View Quote

How do i know you did not read all of my posts?  I posted a link to his firearm that he bought.  Click on the link and you will see it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I home built adapter blocks to connect my AR-50 to a Lafette tripod.  Having a milling machine makes me sleep better at night.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:23:21 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:

Yeah, some things are okay to skimp on.  Things calibered in .50 bmg aren’t included.  The dude on Kentucky Ballistics is a good source of information on this subject.

Pre-kaboom he did things I wouldn’t have done, but I’m talking about afterwards.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top