BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dannylgriffin:

Honestly, you are picking up every single item from your cart and putting it into a bag or onto a conveyance.  How can you miss something?  Either your cart is empty or it is not.
View Quote

We no longer get bags at Walmart in Colorado (due to Democrat asswipes in Denver).  Sometimes I use the remote scanner and scan items moving them from one side to another in the cart.

In the past on occasions when I walked in to get one or two things I would end up needing a cart.  I would walk to the cart area with my stuff, place it in the cart then go back inside and continue shopping.

Based upon this thread I don't do that anymore.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:

Passing the checkout is not the crime. Only attempting to leave the store is.
View Quote

Not 100% true and a good point concerning the bathrooms at stores like Wal-Mart... totality of the circumstances concerning behavior prior to, during, and after passing the checkout can lead to "inferred intent". While not a statutory requirement here in FL, some stores require the customer to actually exit the store, which isn't a bad policy per se.

Of course this depends if a state has a specific law to the contrary.

Not sure if I've already mentioned it... but our local Target's loss prevention guy is a total tool, he works two different locations... I've refused to make theft cases twice when dealing with him for some of the reasons already mentioned in this thread and other officers have expressed the same when dealing with him.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Is she of a certain persuasion? I guess not bc she could have carried it all out in her arms. They only fo after the others.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By XNARC:
Update 2…shakedown. Many states have a statute that allows merchants to ‘fine’ you, under the guise of a demand for reimbursement for their loss, time, effort, etc.
View Quote

She needs to show the letter to her attorney.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Still not buying it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:

She needs to show the letter to her attorney.
View Quote

And if they aren't really representing Target, the BAR Association and the state's Attorney General.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Honestly, you are picking up every single item from your cart and putting it into a bag or onto a conveyance.  How can you miss something?  Either your cart is empty or it is not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Amped:
Buddy had the same thing at Walmart. All the lines were slammed so they told him to use self check out. He missed 32 worth of shit and they ticked him and set a court date. Had to hire an attorney to get a plea deal.

For what it’s worth he had $600 worth of shit for their new house and was trying to get home. I’ve known the guy for 10 years and he doesn’t steal. Sometimes people miss shit, sometimes people are shit

I've walked out of Walmart with a case of water on the bottom shelf of my cart that I forgot about. I almost did it a second time, too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HecklerKac:

Because she won't be convicted of theft on a first offense with the circumstances.  She will get probation at best, plead to a lesser charge (not theft)
I'm not a lawyer, just basing it off probabilities

Again , I'll bet anyone a pmag she won't have THEFT on her record
View Quote

The charge is already on her record. The conviction isn't.

You are still wrong.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:02:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Coincidentally this was in my Nextdoor feed today.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Maybe they should have called the police and had Target arrested.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:18:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HecklerKac] [#11]
Originally Posted By dorobuta:

You are still wrong.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dorobuta:

Because she won't be convicted of theft on a first offense with the circumstances.  She will get probation at best, plead to a lesser charge (not theft)

You are still wrong.

I was talking to multiple people, I meant conviction. You know what I meant, not sure why you felt the need to say what 4 other guys already did?

Not wrong either way. She won't have a theft conviction on her record.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:58:03 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bat15:
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:
Why are so many dudes saying hire an attorney for a young girls first offense? A tiny offense at that.  Too many movies. The judge will either throw it out or give her probation. Why spend thousands of dollars?
Ill bet a pmag on it.

It's a theft conviction on her record. It will seriously hurt her ability to find employment or even get into some schools. She needs a lawyer.

First offense and with all the circumstances provided? I would bet money its thrown or probation at best....nothing on record.

Be prepared for fines though, thats why theyre there, after all

What makes you think there will be no record of the conviction?

This is accurate. Even if they have clear proof of her guilt if it's a first offense most prosecutors will offer a deal that keeps it off her record in exchange for community service or some such.

They might do something like stay the case for a year and if she stays clean then dismiss it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I understand how these things can happen. I've did something similar twice. Once at a store, I put a small bag of wood chips in the basket a few minutes later I put a smoker on top. I went through to check out paid for the smoker and didn't realize I hadn't paid for the chips when I got to the car. Simple enough i walk back into the store and pay for the chips. Another time at a self check out I somehow didn't scan a jar of peanut butter. The next time I was in that store I made sure to scan the same jar of peanut butter and leave it in the store. That way at least I had paid for what I took home.  Now I'm super cautious about anything the self check out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By greenranger:

GD “shoplifters should be prosecuted”!!!

Also GD “arresting shoplifters is bullshit”!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By greenranger:
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:
Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
Maybe don’t steal shit?

Yeah, this. Op spent forever typing up some bullshit one sided 3rd hand account of how his buddy's kid dindu nuffin.

GD “shoplifters should be prosecuted”!!!

Also GD “arresting shoplifters is bullshit”!!

"Us" versus "them." Everything else is a smokescreen.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:24:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SkilletsUSMC:

That's crazy. I made it to my car and realized a small ticket item didn't get paid for. I was with my young son at the time and wanted to teach a lesson about doing the right thing even when you can get away with doing the wrong thing.

I walked all the way back into the store with my boy and walked to customer service. I told them I forgot to ring an item up. The lady there was taken back and made it a point to tell my son that dad is a good guy and is doing the right thing. She rang the item up, I paid, and all was good.

Another time, I got back to the store and was putting away groceries and realized I didn't have an item I thought I paid for. I called customer service to see if it was left behind. No one had seen it but they told me to come in and take a replacement item to CS and they would let me take it. I did, and got back. One of my sons had taken the item to his room. So I got back in my car, told CS what happened, went back and grabbed the item, scanned, paid and handed it back to CS.

I absolutely will not steal from anyone.

If they had me arrested me in either case, I would have gone fuckin' babnanas. I'd spend any amount of money to clear my name and teach a lesson.

Sometimes good deeds don't go unpunished, but FUCK the LP for arresting anyone for trying to do the right thing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SkilletsUSMC:
Originally Posted By broncobisley1:
Yep, as much as it sucks lawyer up.

I've read about this happening, and the dumbest part is people that realize they missed an item and go back to pay for it are charged.  I was told if you miss an item, and you feel guilty upon discovery that you missed the item just ring up the same item the next time you are there and leave the item behind but tell no-one what happened.

That's crazy. I made it to my car and realized a small ticket item didn't get paid for. I was with my young son at the time and wanted to teach a lesson about doing the right thing even when you can get away with doing the wrong thing.

I walked all the way back into the store with my boy and walked to customer service. I told them I forgot to ring an item up. The lady there was taken back and made it a point to tell my son that dad is a good guy and is doing the right thing. She rang the item up, I paid, and all was good.

Another time, I got back to the store and was putting away groceries and realized I didn't have an item I thought I paid for. I called customer service to see if it was left behind. No one had seen it but they told me to come in and take a replacement item to CS and they would let me take it. I did, and got back. One of my sons had taken the item to his room. So I got back in my car, told CS what happened, went back and grabbed the item, scanned, paid and handed it back to CS.

I absolutely will not steal from anyone.

If they had me arrested me in either case, I would have gone fuckin' babnanas. I'd spend any amount of money to clear my name and teach a lesson.

Sometimes good deeds don't go unpunished, but FUCK the LP for arresting anyone for trying to do the right thing.

I did self checkout at home depot and forgot to ring up two orange carpenter's pencils. My youngest put them in the cart and they laid flat against the back of the orange cart. I just forgot them. He mentioned that I had forgot them as we were walking to my truck without even looking in the cart. Little dude has a great memory. So I AGAIN walked back into the store with all $0.40 worth of "stolen items" and stood in line/paid for them. I even told the self checkout lady I did it and she looked at me like "cool, but why bother?"

It was another great teachable moment about never stealing and always being accountable for ones actions. This thread was on my mind when I did it. I can't imagine getting arrested for bringing unpaid merch back in with intent to pay.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Update 3
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Whiskey1Alpha:
Update 3
View Quote

What a shit show
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks like OP, OP's friend, and OP's friend's daughter were telling the truth. Who is going to apologize to OP?

Also, always hire a lawyer.
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top