Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2024 10:53:35 AM EDT
Never seen this before.

Probably got about 30 rnds through at this range session.    Load fresh mag, fire one round, second shot nothing.

Go to rack the slide and it’s locked up.  Wiggled a little but hits something solid and will not budge.  Notice the slide is about 3mm from being fully closed.  

I remove mag, count the rounds and confirm I got a live round in the pipe with a stuck action.  I continue to attempt to rack slide/put it in battery…not knowing if the malfunction might pop the round off at any second.  

Managed to eventually get the slide to close up and sheepishly fired off that round (in hindsight maybe I shouldn’t have).  Gave the gun a look over and found nothing abnormal.  It was now  functioning normally.  Shot the gun about 20 more times with no incident.  

I’ll fully inspect the gun tonight to try to understand what happened.  Maybe this is the last time I shoot the house reloads.  Is my Glock gonna grenade?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#1]
"House reloads"?  Could you expound on that a bit more?  What's the source on these reloads?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#2]

For your next challenge you should try this

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:57:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andrewsky] [#3]
9mm has huge variation in neck tension.  It's possible that the bullet wasn't seated all the way because the reloaded ammo was using a case with really tight neck tension.  When you slammed the slide closed it seated the bullet.  You can inspect the gun but I'm sure it's fine.  It sounds like a bullet seating depth problem.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JeepersCreepers:

https://i.ibb.co/K6k3mhx/dl6eo2t4pyw31.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GimpyPaw:
"House reloads"?  Could you expound on that a bit more?  What's the source on these reloads?
View Quote

The shooting range’s reloads they sell you in a ziplock bag.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#6]
It's always reloads. Always. Damn.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Not to be mean, but you didn’t mention if you checked the barrel for obstruction. A squib load.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Who would you have blamed if it went KABOOM?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I had that happen with my G20 using Armscore cheap stuff.

I went full gorilla mode and forced the slide to rack and eject the round.
The round that got stuck was a bit longer than the rest of the ammo in the box.

It ran fine until I got the next out of spec round and had to do it all over again.

I don’t shoot that ammo anymore.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

View Quote

So you don't know who actually does the reloading?  Just "insert random range employee"?  You don't know the charge weight, powder, primer, neck tension, case prep, that stuff?  

Hard pass from me.  I'll shoot reloads that I made, and I'll shoot reloads my brother made.  I'm not trusting what functional use of my hands I have left to a random range employee who may or may not have been allowed uninterrupted time to complete the task.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

how did you get the beans above the frank
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Holy shit. Reloads every single time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BoomerShooter:
Holy shit. Reloads every single time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No you didn’t

There’s your problem. Personally I would unload the firearm and take it to an armorer. Chalk it up as a lesson to NEVER use reman/reloads (unless you reloaded them yourself)
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I've seen reloads lock up a sig the same way.  Instead of forcing it shut and shooting it, I used a mallet to force it open.

The case mouth had gotten under the bullet when the bullet was seated and had been folded over, giving the case a bump/fold on one side that prevented it from fully chambering.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Reloads, seated long.

M&Ps have extremely short chambers. I found out when my son shot my reloads there were fin in my Sigs and Glocks.
Be warned.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#17]

So you don't know who actually does the reloading?  Just "insert random range employee"?  You don't know the charge weight, powder, primer, neck tension, case prep, that stuff?  

Hard pass from me.  I'll shoot reloads that I made, and I'll shoot reloads my brother made.  I'm not trusting what functional use of my hands I have left to a random range employee who may or may not have been allowed uninterrupted time to complete the task.
View Quote

The indoor ranges here have contracts with companies that reload the brass they give them.  

I still don’t shoot that stuff.

Midwest Ammunition is an example of this.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Wow its the super rare version of a glock with a forward assist.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By naes:

The indoor ranges here have contracts with companies that reload the brass they give them.  

I still don’t shoot that stuff.

Midwest Ammunition is an example of this.

View Quote

Yea, some of the time those "companies" are just a guy with a business license doing reloads with his Dillon 750 in his garage.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Oof.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Does the range offer salted peanuts in the bathroom as well?

Kinda sorta kidding.  The only ranges I've seen offer house reloads were owned and staffed by people I wouldn't trust to safely reload.

Years ago, there was a small range in this odd place inside the DC beltway in Virginia.  They had a bin of house reloads by the counter that tended to price about 10% lower than retail commercial ammo.  I checked out a bag of their 45 APC, set the rounds down of a flat surface and noticed the seating depth varied by about 3mm.   Took a hard pass on that.  I went back a few months later, and the guy behind the counter was laughing about how someone's Ruger KB'ed using their house reloads.

Also, +1 on the neck tension / case depth theory.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
Reloads, seated long.

M&Ps have extremely short chambers. I found out when my son shot my reloads there were fin in my Sigs and Glocks.
Be warned.
View Quote

I think what you are trying to say is that the freebore can vary and not the chamber.  If the chamber were actually short, I imagine that would lead to a no fire due to OOB condition or OOB discharge.

If the freebore is short, a long bullet can get lodged in the rfiling and "lock up" the action, making it difficult to manually eject the round.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#24]

reloads.   oof    

yeah -- don't do that anymore
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

How the hell did someone manage that?

One time I had a slightly long loaded 9mm round. Slide was stuck about an 1/8" from closing. Took a bit of "persusion" to get it back open and the round extracted.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

There you have it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

most likely culprit.
my guess would be a crappy cast projectile or improperly seated.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:39:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RRALower] [#28]
I wonder if there is a bullet from a squib load from the previous shot lodged in such a way that the live round that isn't fully chambered jammed up the gun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#29]
You might have found something if you hadn't fire off that round, or if you had located the previous casing that may have been missing a bit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:44:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigDeeeeeeee] [#30]
I’ve had two malfuctions like this though instead of firing them I went the other way( muscling it back out of battery)and found the case rim folded into the case causing a small bulge.  The folded bit was no longer than .100”.  I didn’t measure how high the bulge was.

Both times with factory ammo and the only two malfunctions I ever had with my first Ed Brown 1911 through a few thousand rounds.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Out of spec OAL was likely the problem.  

Never suspected a squib as the previous shot felt normal and punched a hole in the target.

Yeah, I’m done using their reloads.  Their price really isn’t that great anyway.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Stop being poor and buy good factory ammo
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:
Stop being poor and buy good factory ammo
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Trash ammo gives trash results. Good quality factory 9mm is still relatively cheap right now. Stock up.

The only reloads I trust are ones that come from my bench, period.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Looks like that would make a good bottle opener.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Perhaps a round whose overall length was a bit too long so the projectile was interacting with the rifling.  

I previously had that happen with a gun whose chamber was just a bit on the tight side and rounds that were just a bit out of spec.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:59:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HammerHammer] [#37]

View All Quotes

That’s your answer then. Probably a round either loaded much too long or the case mouth was misformed.

A while back I ran off a batch of 124gr competition loads that were too long and they’d feed ok but I couldn’t manually eject any unspent rounds. I ended up having to clear one that didn’t fire by ramming the corner of the slide down against a bench.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By kevins_garage:

I think what you are trying to say is that the freebore can vary and not the chamber.  If the chamber were actually short, I imagine that would lead to a no fire due to OOB condition or OOB discharge.

If the freebore is short, a long bullet can get lodged in the rfiling and "lock up" the action, making it difficult to manually eject the round.

https://i.imgur.com/2diRRCY.jpeg
View Quote

Yes

Mentally I equate the freebore with the chamber because it is all cut by the chamber reamer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Codyboy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Codyboy:

There's only 1 true dual purpose fireAttachment Attached File
arm
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Ammo
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Never seen this before.

Probably got about 30 rnds through at this range session.    Load fresh mag, fire one round, second shot nothing.

Go to rack the slide and it's locked up.  Wiggled a little but hits something solid and will not budge.  Notice the slide is about 3mm from being fully closed.  

I remove mag, count the rounds and confirm I got a live round in the pipe with a stuck action.  I continue to attempt to rack slide/put it in battery not knowing if the malfunction might pop the round off at any second.  

Managed to eventually get the slide to close up and sheepishly fired off that round (in hindsight maybe I shouldn't have).  Gave the gun a look over and found nothing abnormal.  It was now  functioning normally.  Shot the gun about 20 more times with no incident.  

I'll fully inspect the gun tonight to try to understand what happened.  Maybe this is the last time I shoot the house reloads.  Is my Glock gonna grenade?
View Quote
If this were an AR-15, peeps would be pounding on the FA. That's what it's there for, amarite?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Is it possible a .380 snuck in there? That will cause a similar event.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By olyman:
Is it possible a .380 snuck in there? That will cause a similar event.
View Quote

That happens with range reloads. They’re not hand sorting all the brass and sometimes you end up with a .380 or similar size case mixed in. I’ve found all kinds of weird stuff mixed in with bulk range brass.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I almost kaboomed a Browning Hi power, squib load, luckily the slide wasn't able to completely close.  

I never shoot anyone's reloads except mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top