Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2024 11:59:32 AM EDT
Very interesting.  Growing up, my dad, and most of my friends' dads worked at GE Aircraft Engine Group in Evendale

https://local12.com/news/local/ge-aerospace-evendale-separate-company-fortune-500-airplanes-aviation-new-general-electric-business-local-economy-money-planes-manufacturer-repairs-entity-industrial-conglomerate-billions-cincinnati-ohio

EVENDALE, Ohio (WKRC) – GE Aerospace, formerly known as GE Aviation, has had a presence in Cincinnati since the late 1940s. Since then, it has been under the umbrella of General Electric.

That will no longer be the case after Tuesday. The airplane engine manufacturer will officially be its own separate entity.

The company is one of several being spun off as the former General Electric industrial conglomerate breaks up.

GE Aerospace executives told investors in March that they expect the new company to earn more than $6 billion in operating profits. They also expect that number to hit as much as $10 billion by 2028. GE Aerospace is also investing more than $100 million into its Evendale plant. The plant employs about 9,000 workers throughout the Tri-State and another 1,500 workers near Dayton.

The company's vice president, Mike Kauffman, spoke on the recent mood at the company.

"A lot of excitement and that certainly comes from pride,” said Kaufmann. “We certainly see the business growing and the improvement in the business. And now to really just celebrate it as one whole entity and one combined team under one name. It's very exciting."

He also spoke on what the effects could be for the local economy.

"We work in the aviation corridor between us and Dayton, and we are the birthplace of aviation," said Kaufmann. "Immense pride, one being native of Ohio and being here in the leading aerospace corporation in the world. [I'm] super proud of that in my home state."

Brian Strunk is the president of the United Autoworkers Local 647. It represents workers at GE Aerospace in Evendale. He recently gave a statement on the new development.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:10:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
They also spun off their power business as GE Vernova (definitely sounds like a focus group chosen name.) I wonder what the new relationship will be between the 2 companies regarding aeroderivative gas turbine generators.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm....   The GE "Aerospace" name was available because they sold GE Aerospace to Martin Marietta as a "merger of equals", back in the eighties or nineties.  I worked for GE Aerospace at the time.  Wore a Martin Marietta badge, then, Lockheed Martin badge.  All this was Neutron Jack Welch's doing.

What goes around, comes around.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MRW:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/3093C440-B683-4EDB-8282-455873474B87-1915888.jpg

here's my dad, GE Evendale engineer, with his crew at Edwards AFB testing liquid nitrogen cooled exhaust nozzles on an F4
View Quote

We need to bring back the short sleeve white button up shirt as office uniform.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Originally Posted By MRW:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/3093C440-B683-4EDB-8282-455873474B87-1915888.jpg

here's my dad, GE Evendale engineer, with his crew at Edwards AFB testing liquid nitrogen cooled exhaust nozzles on an F4

And pocket protectors.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
And slide rules!!!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ske714:

And pocket protectors.
View Quote

AKA nerd bags... according to my ex-GF, the EE.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#8]
As a field rep I was based out of Evandale 40 years ago but was on engines from Lynn, Mass (F404 and CF700), stationed at NAS Lemoore and Cecil Field
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:28:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Betting they have some government under the table ''promise'' to hand them contracts on a silver platter. Then they will do a shitty job, farm out as much as possible to Asian countries, pad upper management parachutes, and deliver 1/2 of what they promised for three times the cost.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Betting they have some government under the table ''promise'' to hand them contracts on a silver platter. Then they will do a shitty job, farm out as much as possible to Asian countries, pad upper management parachutes, and deliver 1/2 of what they promised for three times the cost.

View Quote

Whoa, slow down there partner. They said GE Aerospace... not Boeing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:43:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#11]
Originally Posted By Millennial:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Millennial:

I know enough about GE and their sell offs including their white goods division to china which made a decent profit [8% net year after year after year] for decades. Management trashed that company, they slept with the dems in government and basically destroyed everything that was GE save for a few areas [engines and medical equipment]

If they are in ANY kind of deal with the government, it's crooked as hell and payoffs will be made all around.

They deserve no mercy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:06:49 AM EDT
[#12]

I know enough about GE and their sell offs including their white goods division to china which made a decent profit [8% net year after year after year] for decades. Management trashed that company, they slept with the dems in government and basically destroyed everything that was GE save for a few areas [engines and medical equipment]

They deserve no mercy.
View Quote

I applied to GE out of college almost 20 years ago to work in their medical division (MRI and CT machines and such).  I also applied to Goodyear Aviation.  Didn't get into either.  Both were SUPER selective.

Doubly ironically, I did land a job out of college with Lockheed (formerly Martin Marietta which was formerly GE Aerospace and also formerly Loral which was formerly Goodyear Aerospace).  Kinda glad that didn't pan out in hindsight.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:41:24 AM EDT
[#13]
That's good news for GE Aerospace, now "Mother GE" won't be rapping their profits for GE's fucked up business practices.
They will have to carry the water for CFM.
CFM is not expected to become profitable until 2025 when the newer LEAP engines start to need more maintenance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top