Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2023 4:30:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TDIllini]
I am spearheading a documentary, focused on those who served in the military during the Global War on Terror.  I am still in need of several participants, and I know we have a lot of great veterans and patriots on this site.  I’m posting here (Hall of Heroes) first, but if there aren’t a lot of views, I’ll consider moving it over to GD.  I can’t publicly share much about the exact style of documentary, but after a brief non-disclosure agreement, those individuals selected to participate will be filled in completely.  There are some things I can say publicly:
  • I expect this to be incredibly popular with the public due to a unique, never-before-seen concept that we will be employing.  Not only will this new approach resonate with viewers, I can virtually guarantee that veterans involved will love it.

• Those involved will receive significant compensation which will rise as the documentary succeeds/increases in popularity.

• There is a reason I am moving forward with this project now.  Though we’ve spent over two decades at war, the general public is mostly uninformed or apathetic about the war’s impact on our soldiers, our military, and our country.  This is especially important to rectify in light of rising global tensions; we need to make sure we have learned from our successes and strategic failures, and the public needs to hold our government accountable.

• This documentary seeks to highlight new voices rather than simply call upon the experience from those veterans who are already well known. Each individual is encouraged to speak their mind on many topics extending beyond their experience in the military, including: federal and state governance, economics, culture, and/or any other subjects which they are passionate about.  One goal in particular is to identify actionable steps that our citizens and government can make to significantly improve the physical and mental health of veterans and active duty military personnel.

• Participants will have the ability to approve and/or remove material that they are not satisfied with.  The goal is to encourage everyone to speak honestly and freely, without the worry about being perceived negatively.

Simply put, I believe our country needs this documentary.  These goals will make even more sense when I am able to share the concept with those who sign NDA’s.  Here is some of the loose criteria that I’m looking for:
  • Retired from military service and willing to speak freely (classified information notwithstanding).

• Have deployed to a war or conflict zone and either took part in combat or sustained career ending injuries before actively fighting (ex: IED immediately after arriving in country).  The frequency, intensity, or significance of the combat is not a qualifier or disqualifier as varying experiences are needed.  This would of course include Afghanistan and Iraq, but could include other areas of operation (ex: Libya)

• Not required to be combat arms, provided the person has taken part in combat of some kind.

• Can be traditional forces (ex: big Army) or special forces (ex: Force Recon, Rangers, Green Berets, CCT, etc.)

• No formal recognition from government due to actions is required.

I realize the criteria is fairly broad.  What I’m trying to do is find the right mix of individuals, such that we can paint a broad picture of the entire war.  While there are still plenty of viewpoints to consider that are not included on this list, I have a few needs in particular:
  • Those who took part in Operation Phantom Fury

• A specific interest in (during Operation Phantom Fury) 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force -or- II Marine Expeditionary Force, RCT 8

• Those present during the Afghanistan withdrawal.

• Navy SEAL and/or Navy Corpsman (there is a lack of Navy representation in the project at the moment)

• This is not a competition to see who has: seen the most combat, accomplished the most, or sacrificed the most.

Again, do not let this short list of needs deter you from getting in touch, I need more, beyond what is addressed here.  To reach me, send me a PM here with your contact information, and I will respond with mine.

EDIT 10/30 - If anyone is unsure about whether they want to share information, a couple notes:

• You don't have to post your information publicly here, you're welcome to get in touch with me directly.

• For most folks, I use a quick "intake" form to assess your general service background.  I take this approach so that you don't have to spend a lot of time on it and so that I can quickly determine if there might be a good fit, BEFORE we really get into any specific memories.

• If it makes anyone feel comfortable, I'm happy to sign an NDA myself.  Your information and your stories will remain confidential regardless; you've worked hard, sacrificed, and earned those experiences.  As such, it is you who gets to decide what you do/is done with them.

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 5:09:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: murderface01] [#1]
I'm active duty army

OEF 12-13 4-2 SBCT

91B but I was a gunner on a convoy security.

I'm now an instructor at Fort Gregg Adams.

I'll help if I can.

I have a coworker who was in Syria. She might be able to give a female POV on that theater.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 6:06:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SEAN10MM] [#2]
I can help. Sounds like a cool project!

I am retired from the Army

Former 25H

2 deployments to Iraq in 2004 and 2005

Send me a PM or an email

Thank you for this opportunity
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Currently active duty - battalion commander

Deployed June 2006 - Sept 2007 as a Platoon Leader …. Almost all of it in Baghdad.

My former company is doing a reunion in Colorado Springs in June 2024…

Let me know if you need anything.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 6:46:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734] [#4]
I can help, current active duty

19K (armor crewman) and 89D (EOD)

7 combat deployments between Iraq, AFG, and Syria. (Approx 60 months)
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Medically retired army. Two deployments, Ramadi 06, Sadr 08-09.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Why are you limiting it to direct combatants only?  There has been a lot more to GWOT than putting bullets on target; which will only get you an important but small part of the story.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I kept a galley in Va Beach safe until June 2003, does that count?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By darkpaladin1:
Why are you limiting it to direct combatants only?  There has been a lot more to GWOT than putting bullets on target; which will only get you an important but small part of the story.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By darkpaladin1:

You are 100% right.  There is a reason for it which will make more sense to folks when the project is ready to be unveiled.  That said, this "selection" phase of the project is extremely difficult for me.  Frankly, I'd love for everyone to be able to tell their story (combat or not), give their thoughts on the war, as well as share their unfiltered/uncensored opinions about the current state of our country.  Unfortunately, I'm limited to the existing concept that I have, with a limited number of veterans that I can include.  Going forward, it will be important for me to find other projects and new ways to include the entire veteran community, without limitations.

Originally Posted By turtle2472:
I kept a galley in Va Beach safe until June 2003, does that count?

It is important, but likely not in scope for what we're working on.  If you think I'm wrong, you're welcome to get in touch though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TDIllini:

You are 100% right.  There is a reason for it which will make more sense to folks when the project is ready to be unveiled.  That said, this "selection" phase of the project is extremely difficult for me.  Frankly, I'd love for everyone to be able to tell their story (combat or not), give their thoughts on the war, as well as share their unfiltered/uncensored opinions about the current state of our country.  Unfortunately, I'm limited to the existing concept that I have, with a limited number of veterans that I can include.  Going forward, it will be important for me to find other projects and new ways to include the entire veteran community, without limitations.

It is important, but likely not in scope for what we're working on.  If you think I'm wrong, you're welcome to get in touch though.
View Quote

Fair.  Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a simple oversight.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Sorry, I forgot my emoji.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By turtle2472:

Sorry, I forgot my emoji.
View Quote

No worries!  I thought you were joking, but you never know.  I remember seeing a pretty intense video of the coast guard taking down a submarine.  I wish I had seen that video in high school, it may have given me a military career option after being DQ'ed from Army and USMC due to an allergy.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 12:23:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I feel very fortunate to have heard from so many of amazing veterans and arfcommers so far.  Thanks to all who have responded.

I think I have gotten back to everyone so far, but please send me a PM if I've somehow dropped the ball.  Still searching for more if there are any of y'all out there on the fence.

Link Posted: 11/8/2023 12:29:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Im active duty navy, currently deployed. 14 years so far. middle east ship deployments since 2012. present for syria chemical bombing and such. not an HM, but ill put my name in the hat if you need me.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Sent you a PM
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I read your premise.  I did 9 mo in Horn of Africa in 05.  I have actual pictures of the burn pit cited in the burn pit registry and worked with the kbr rep who did not set up the incinerator on base.  I teach for a living and have been teaching a historical concepts of war class for 15 yrs.  I have several denied claims from the VA.  Hit me up if your interested.   I may need editing,  but I speak well for a Sgt.  I don't want money,  give that shit to the family's who lost Joe's leaving Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Perchance
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I’d be happy to discuss the initial logistics retrograde from Afghanistan in 2014 to meet the SOFA that Obama agreed upon with the then Afghan government. I oversaw the SOF side of things.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#18]
PM sent.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 2:29:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#19]
Maybe. I was there when nomads told us where Capt Scott Speicher was burried.

Other than that, it was a pretty boring deployment (because Obama) compared to the one before.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 3:10:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Former 68W 2 Afghanistan deployments. 10-11 and 13-14.

I can attempt to help if needed.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 3:19:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Ex 25B and 25U deployed to Mosul Iraq 2003-2004,05.

Can share lots of experience with the early US Army Corps of Engineering projects in Mosul at Gulf Regional Division North.

I know I am just a REMF and FOBBIT but I saw a lot of things behind the scenes.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:32:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghost-1] [#22]
Sent you a PM. Did multiple deployments to both Iraq and Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Pm sent
OIF 07-09
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Din't do nuffin.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Iamhere:
Din't do nuffin.
View Quote

Not sure I'm following.  I didn't miss a message from you, did I?

If you want to participate, but you aren't sure you're a good fit, you're welcome to get in touch.  This first "phase" is a bit more narrowly focused than the entire project.  So, phase 2 and 3, which will come later this year, will afford a lot more flexibility in terms of who can/should participate.  The good news is, by that time, the secrecy will be gone by that point, so you'll know exactly what we're working on and the "why" behind it.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#26]
My son was at Kabul when the shtf. PM sent and I sent him this link. He doesn't have an AR15.com account.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 5:27:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TDIllini] [#27]
Originally Posted By Popcop:
My son was at Kabul when the shtf. PM sent and I sent him this link. He doesn't have an AR15.com account.
View Quote

Thank you!  I'll send you a PM with my contact information in case either of you would like to hear more.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#28]
OIF.  Breached and marked the lanes during the initial push into Iraq.  

Combat engineer and manned a MK-19 during our convoy operations.

Saw combat numerous times during my tour in country and was awarded my combat action ribbon.  

Pm me if you want more.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Has this event already taken place or do you still need bodies OP?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By GunnyFitz:
Has this event already taken place or do you still need bodies OP?
View Quote

We're getting very close to kick off, but I am still "recruiting".  If you are interested, let me know and we can have a conversation to see if it's a good fit.

I was using a screening/introduction form, but to be frank, nobody likes filling out forms.  So, I'm dropping it entirely and going to an initial phone call (5-10 mins).

I'll PM you with my contact information.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#31]

We're getting very close to kick off, but I am still "recruiting".  If you are interested, let me know and we can have a conversation to see if it's a good fit.

I was using a screening/introduction form, but to be frank, nobody likes filling out forms.  So, I'm dropping it entirely and going to an initial phone call (5-10 mins).

I'll PM you with my contact information.
View Quote

I just saw the new comments in this thread and checked in on it. I can't remember if we had talked on the phone or if I had answered your questions in an IM. LOL I'm still in if you wanted to talk with me again or anything else just let me know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top