Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2024 10:43:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JIMBEAM]
Looking for a new PC for gaming. I haven’t kept current on gaming systems for at least ten years (insert boomer reference here) I would like to run DCS and Starfield any suggestions?

Found this at Costco (insert additional boomer reference here):

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a solid machine to me. The only thing I could add to the conversation is to see what those parts cost individually in case you're interested in building it yourself. It's fun and could save you some money as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Raignis:
Looks like a solid machine to me. The only thing I could add to the conversation is to see what those parts cost individually in case you're interested in building it yourself. It's fun and could save you some money as well.
View Quote

Hah.  I've never saved money building a computer or AR myself.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:05:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skootr] [#3]
At the low end, you don't save much if anything when building vs buying.   That system should be fine for gaming in the 1080 60hz/frames area.  You won't save anything trying to rebuild that system part for part your self.

ETA:  What are you running now? CPU/GPU?  Might be better to buy minor upgrades that can transfer to a new build next year.  Ryzen 9000 series CPUs will be in late 2024,  with the x3d series early 2025.   That will shift older CPU prices down,  and open options at the top end.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By svt40:

Hah.  I've never saved money building a computer or AR myself.
View Quote

But they've always been nicer than the pre-builts, right?

This we must tell ourselves...
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By nophun:

But they've always been nicer than the pre-builts, right?

This we must tell ourselves...
View Quote

Exactly, that's what I tell myself.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
The days of saving money by building your own PC are long gone. The "pre-built PC" factories buy in bulk and get discounts beyond what you'll find even on Black Friday.

Especially if you're 10 years out of the loop, you'll save a lot of headaches by buying a pre-built machine. If you want to get crazy, most of the online stores that sell pre-built PCs will let you customize to various extents.

I bought a 100% custom, built to order PC in Feb '23 and saved around $400-600 from what it would have cost to buy the components and assemble myself.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:00:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#8]
Originally Posted By Ajek:
The days of saving money by building your own PC are long gone. The "pre-built PC" factories buy in bulk and get discounts beyond what you'll find even on Black Friday.

Especially if you're 10 years out of the loop, you'll save a lot of headaches by buying a pre-built machine. If you want to get crazy, most of the online stores that sell pre-built PCs will let you customize to various extents.

I bought a 100% custom, built to order PC in Feb '23 and saved around $400-600 from what it would have cost to buy the components and assemble myself.
View Quote

When I price comped custom v pre-built, my results were opposite.
Link Posted: Today 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#9]
That PC would run DCS fine. However, do you every want to run VR? If so, get something with a better GPU.
Link Posted: Today 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
That PC would run DCS fine. However, do you ever want to run VR? If so, get something with a better GPU.
View Quote

QFT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top