Sleep tracking/GPS, telling time.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#1]
For what
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve had an epix gen 2 for a couple of years, I like it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
The one Apple makes.

Seriously.

I ran all the Garmin products in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. primarily for being able (at the time) to up/download waypoint files and for MGRS coords.

Still have a Garmin (Tactix C) but really wish I had the Apple Watch for its superior capabilities.
View Quote

I have an Apple Watch also. What are the superior features?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Fenix 7
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:33:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pr24guy] [#6]
My wife liked hers until she had to charge it every week.
Now she use a G Shock GPR-H1000. It has all the same features and is Solar and much more durable.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a quarix 5. I've had it a year. I really like it way more then I though I would.   I change out the straps weekly for my own fun.  It does all the things.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Been wearing a Fenix 5(?) now for about 5 yrs.  

Still works, it’s beat to shit but doesn’t make me look like a hipster.

Used it for running, triathlons, hiking/biking.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#9]
If battery life is most important get the fenix 7 pro or tactix.  If you want it to have a bright screen but only a few weeks battery get the epix.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:43:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#10]
Epix Pro if you want the AMOLED screen, reduced battery life. Life will depend on size of the watch and always on vs gesture, the LED flash lights really hammer battery life, but they are useful, this goes for all the Garmin.

Fenix Pro if you don’t care about the AMOLED screen primarily use it outside, and battery life is most important.

Otherwise, the watches are identical. The Fenix will be a smidge faster, the Epic has better resolution. They are both impressive watches.

As for the AW/Ultra2 vs Garmin age old argument: If you own an iPhone, primarily stick to places with cell/wifi service, and want the ability to have a phone on your wrist (exercising, working with your hands and don’t want to dig for the phone, going in water) then the Apple is a fantastic choice. Also, AW/Ultra2 has Apple Pay. Nobody uses Garmin pay.

If you go into the sticks, outside of cell/wifi, need longer battery life, want buttons, and feel the serious need to have on device maps, then get the Garmin.  

They are both good devices.

*fwiw, I have a lot of current and former mil friends, they laugh about the maps, they are like “we have GPS units for that shit.”

Either way, they have both shown to have roughly the same accuracy when it comes to health metrics.

I have tried 3 Garmins (Fenix, Epix, Tactix AMOLED) and the Ultra, I’m just not a smart watch guy. I will say that the Garmin looks “cooler”, the back of the Ultra/AW is more comfortable with the smooth and rounded sensor dome.

I mean no disrespect to anyone who owns one, but I think a male wearing an AW (either of them) outside of actually working out looks fucking ridiculous. Thankfully nobody cares what I think.

If Apple made a Garmin style watch (case and buttons) with on device maps, I would be all over it, maybe. It’s already been explained why Apple isn’t doing a round watch. Also, I found the Ultra’s ambient light sensor to be next level annoying as shit and I’m not the only one.

BTW, the Instinct2 is a real winner, it has pretty much everything you need except the maps, the solar one will literally never go dead if you go outside.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I would recommend the Fenix 7 solar. I have the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar and my next watch will be whatever the latest Fenix model is.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Also garmin usually releases new watches in may so you should wait and see if the new ones are way better,  or there are deals to be had on this generation
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:
Also garmin usually releases new watches in may so you should wait and see if the new ones are way better,  or there are deals to be had on this generation
View Quote

Following the times lines, we wouldn’t see a new Epix/Fenix until 2025. But, nothing is a given.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Pallas:

Following the times lines, we wouldn’t see a new Epix/Fenix until 2025. But, nothing is a given.
View Quote

"Fenix 8.   January 2024, the Fenix 7 will celebrate its second birthday. Garmin's usual release cadence was interrupted by the Covid-19 pandemic, but prior to that, it has typically launched a new Fenix every other year, so it's now due"
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Fenix 7 solar...it's fantastic
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for the 7x. Excellent watch and personal device. I use to train for and track for marathons.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:34:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreatWaputi] [#17]
Enduro 2. Best battery life (32 days) and brightest flashlight.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:45:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#19]
Originally Posted By GreatWaputi:
Enduro 2. Best battery life (32 days) and brightest flashlight.
View Quote

That's not the best battery life. The Instinct Solar 2 has unlimited battery life, and even the original Instinct Solar was longer than 32 days.

Not that 32 is bad or anything.

OP I'd be looking at the Fenix 7. I have the 6X Pro Solar and love it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Got the Epix Pro about a month ago. Really like it so far. Had an Apple Watch for years and just got sick of having to charge it everyday. I also prefer the round face aesthetically. If you are mil or a first responder, you can save quite a bit buying through expert voice.

I also recommend getting a fabric band.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:47:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#21]
How much do you have to spend? If you have the scratch, I would get the Tactix 7 with the sapphire crystal and without the solar charging feature. I think street price is around $1,000 though. I really really like the Garmin nylon band though so I would buy one or a knock off on Amazon as well. Otherwise if you don't need the touch screen, would go with the Fenix 6X Pro as it's much cheaper.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/802925/pn/010-02704-00

I have a Fenix 6X Pro (can be had for around $400 now) and love it but wish it had a touch screen. I would recommend the Fenix 7X Pro with a sapphire crystal, but it only comes with the solar charging feature, hence the desire for the Tactix 7 sapphire. My understanding is that the solar feature isn't really all that useful. I hate the way it looks and how it takes up real estate on the watch as well.

I'll upgrade to the Tactix 7 when it comes down in price.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By pr24guy:
Now she use a G Shock GPR-H1000. It has all the same features and is Solar and much more durable.
View Quote

I had to look that watch up. Holy crap that’s a giant watch! That’s like wearing around Flavor Flav’s neck clock on your wrist.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Alien:
How much do you have to spend? If you have the scratch, I would get the Tactix 7 with the sapphire crystal and without the solar charging feature. I think street price is around $1,000 though.

I have a Fenix 6X Pro (can be had for around $400 now) and love it but wish it had a touch screen. I would recommend the Fenix 7X Pro with a sapphire crystal, but it only comes with the solar charging feature, hence the desire for the Tactix 7 sapphire. My understanding is that the solar feature isn't really all that useful. I hate the way it looks and how it takes up real estate on the watch as well.

View Quote

The solar rings aren't huge and help an appreciable amount if you spend a decent amount outside. Have you seen them side by side?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:54:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Toker_] [#24]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Still have a Garmin (Tactix C) but really wish I had the Apple Watch for its superior capabilities.
View Quote

What superior capabilities does the Apple Watch have over the Garmin? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but the huge downside is you have to charge it every day.

I used a Garmin Instinct Solar for a few years and found it to be a great watch. Battery life was around 28 days before a charge. I recently updated to the Garmin Epix Pro. The display is a lot better and I'm getting about a week between charges with the Alway On display that just shows the time. You can get even better battery life if you use Gestures only.

The main reason I stick with the Garmin ecosystem is to use the DogTrack widget when I'm hunting with my dog. Makes upland hunting a lot easier.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

That's not the best battery life. The Instinct Solar 2 has unlimited battery life, and even the original Instinct Solar was longer than 32 days.

Not that 32 is bad or anything.

OP I'd be looking at the Fenix 7. I have the 6X Pro Solar and love it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20231128_095601-3042872.jpg
View Quote

Every spec out there shows 28-days battery life for the Instinct Solar 2 in Smartwatch mode
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#26]
New update apple just released fucked up my GFs series 9 watch. Went from almost 2 days with a charge to 7 hours. Fuck apple.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:14:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#27]

The solar rings aren't huge and help an appreciable amount if you spend a decent amount outside. Have you seen them side by side?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
How much do you have to spend? If you have the scratch, I would get the Tactix 7 with the sapphire crystal and without the solar charging feature. I think street price is around $1,000 though.

Yes, but it's annoying and purple. Most accounts I've read about it are that it adds an extra day or two to a watch with an already exceptional battery life of 20+ days hence not that useful. I have no experience with it of course.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Every spec out there shows 28-days battery life for the Instinct Solar 2 in Smartwatch mode
View Quote

Non-solar is 28 days.  With solar is unlimited. To get unlimited, it needs an average of 3 hours a day of sunlight.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:18:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I killed my ~5 year old Samsung watch by wading in the pool, when it had a 1.5 meter/30 minute rating.

I'm considering the Garmin Instinct 2X Solar Tactical, or the Samsung Watch6 Classic.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes, but it's annoying and purple. Most accounts I've read about it are that it adds an extra day or two to a watch with an already exceptional battery life of 20+ days hence not that useful. I have no experience with it of course.
View Quote

All my solar garmin stuff is brownish, not really purplish. At least my examples. I have three Garmin solar items: Instinct Solar (the original one, not the new one), a Fenix 6X Pro Solar, and an Edge 1040 Solar cycling computer.

Doesn't bother me any, but to each their own. The Fenix series only gets a couple days extra on the older models, but on the newer ones it's a bit more noticeable. The 7X for example gets 28 non solar and 37 with solar.

In all these cases, it's up to you on whether you think that's worth it. I find them to be super helpful, but then again I also do a lot of cycling which uses up battery a lot faster since I'm using GPS and HR monitor, etc.

To each their own. Even non-solar Garmin battery life is better than most other offerings.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Forerunner 965 for running here. AMOLED screen, maps, sleep tracking, you name it. Looks better than the bulky Epix Gen 2 IMO and has most of the same features.

Get the Velcro strap for comfort on long runs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#32]

My Garmin is very rude. Hurts my feelings.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:32:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crashburnrepeat] [#33]
I want the tactix 7 ballistic AB so bad
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:34:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beef1911] [#34]
After months of looking I got an Instinct 2x Solar Tactical.
It can do applied ballistics and has a flashlight just like the more expensive ones.

Anything the touch screen models can do is faster and easier to do on your phone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I have the fenix 7pro and an Instinct 2, both solar.
In reality the Instinct does everything I need, but I wanted the screen of the Fenix. Battery life is awesome with the solar versions.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:37:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pr24guy] [#36]
Originally Posted By konger:

I had to look that watch up. Holy crap that’s a giant watch! That’s like wearing around Flavor Flav’s neck clock on your wrist.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By konger:
Originally Posted By pr24guy:

It's not as big as my GPR B1000, and has way more features. My wife has pretty small wrists at 5 ft and 125 lbs
She loves it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I’ve been using Garmin Forerunners since 2008. They are accurate and dependable. I’m on my third because they last forever if you don’t need the latest features. That being said, if I was starting today, I would go with an Apple Watch Ultra.  I’m not leaving over 15 years of data in the Garmin ecosystem, but Apple has more features and is much more well-rounded. That said, I won’t switch because I am a traditional watch guy and I like to wear an Omega or Tag when I’m not working out or monitoring shit. I’ll be using Garmin myself, but as a cost for features, Apple delivers more.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
I want the tactix 7 ballistic AB so bad
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#39]

So. Jealous.

That's a great watch. I have huge wrists. That would fit
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:50:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#40]
Originally Posted By ah64pilot:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ah64pilot:

The UltraFit gen2 (they won’t say Gen2, but they redid it) is absolutely the tits! It’s lighter than the rubber straps, noticeably lighter.

I got one for my Tudor FXD and use it sometimes.

By many accounts, the MIP isn’t as bright on the solar models.

What superior capabilities does the Apple Watch have over the Garmin?

Cell phone (if you get a cell model), you can stream Apple Music, other streaming services, etc while working/exercising without having your phone on you, Apple Pay, that’s about all it has over the Garmin. Also, a neat feature, you can use maps, do everything on your phone, then stick it in your pocket, and the watch will give you directions. This is a neat feature in a city, you don’t have your face buried in your phone, nobody can snatch it, etc. Both are solid watches, the AW pathetic battery life is an issue, the Ultra is better in that regard.

Ultra is an urban watch, Garmin is a outdoor fitness watch. The regular AW is for women and boomers. There are somethings a AW/Ultra won’t do with being tethered to the phone, which is why I returned mine.

*I forgot to mention the cell AW/Ultra has fall detection, which is good for seniors or drunks.
** Garmin has a cool radar that attaches to your bike and will warn you through you watch when someone is about to run your down, because streets are meant for motor vehicles and bikes shouldn’t be on them lol. But, the Apple will call emergency if you get run down.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

I typically get 19.
That’s plenty. Good watch. Not obnoxiously large. Display is not great but features are fantastic.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:

I typically get 19.
That’s plenty. Good watch. Not obnoxiously large. Display is not great but features are fantastic.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:

I typically get 19.

It goes down dramatically if you're using it to track exercise routines, hiking routes, etc.

After using one for over two years, it's now sporadically dying whenever I try to start or stop an exercise. Seems to be a software issue, and is fairly widely reported online. Thanks to the engineers for just *having* to continuously fuck with the software...
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:18:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Pallas:

The UltraFit gen2 (they won’t say Gen2, but they redid it) is absolutely the tits! It’s lighter than the rubber straps, noticeably lighter.

I got one for my Tudor FXD and use it sometimes.

By many accounts, the MIP isn’t as bright on the solar models.

Cell phone (if you get a cell model), you can stream Apple Music, other streaming services, etc while working/exercising without having your phone on you, Apple Pay, that’s about all it has over the Garmin. Also, a neat feature, you can use maps, do everything on your phone, then stick it in your pocket, and the watch will give you directions. This is a neat feature in a city, you don’t have your face buried in your phone, nobody can snatch it, etc. Both are solid watches, the AW pathetic battery life is an issue, the Ultra is better in that regard.

Ultra is an urban watch, Garmin is a outdoor fitness watch. The regular AW is for women and boomers. There are somethings a AW/Ultra won’t do with being tethered to the phone, which is why I returned mine.

*I forgot to mention the cell AW/Ultra has fall detection, which is good for seniors or drunks.
** Garmin has a cool radar that attaches to your bike and will warn you through you watch when someone is about to run your down, because streets are meant for motor vehicles and bikes shouldn’t be on them lol. But, the Apple will call emergency if you get run down.
View Quote

I have my entire Spotify library on my Enduro 2. They also have Garmin pay if one was so inclined. The only advantage I see to an Apple watch is the ability to text from the watch, but no way I'd want to have to charge everyday.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:34:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#44]

I have my entire Spotify library on my Enduro 2. They also have Garmin pay if one was so inclined. The only advantage I see to an Apple watch is the ability to text from the watch, but no way I'd want to have to charge everyday.
View Quote

Get the Ultra if you don’t want to charge everyday… I have never seen Garmin Pay available anywhere I have been, ever.

But, I feel you, I don’t want to charge any more stuff, I have enough shit I have to keep charged. I would never text from a watch, I think you can voice to text though. One thing I did not like about the Ultra, that I loved about the Garmin are the buttons… Screw the touch screens, the buttons are faster and just better. I had the touch screen disabled on my Garmins most of the time.

The AW does charge very quickly though, just toss it on the charger while you do your morning routine… Apple’s charging method is way better than Garmin’s bs plug.

A theory has also been put out that Garmin’s battery will have a better life span because you aren’t typically charging the watch every 18hrs-36hrs (longer with power saving) like the Apple. I know my Mom is griping about the battery on her AW, it’s about 3%yrs old now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:40:50 AM EDT
[#45]
I have a Fenix 5 that is still working since I got it around 2018. If it were to break, I'd get a Fenix 7.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:42:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By mustangduckk:

My Garmin is very rude. Hurts my feelings.

Attachment Attached File

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:06:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Fenix 7x solar has been good
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:12:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Garmin instinct going on 6 years. Tracks sleep, tells time, does GPS and workouts, not fancy but I love it.

I use the workout rep counter function daily and I get about 3 weeks between charges.

Small watch that doesn't stand out, you can also see texts and such on it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:13:14 AM EDT
[#49]
I have the tactix 7 pro with ballistics l, and I really enjoy it. I was on samsung prior and the only thing I miss is samsung pay. Not having to charge my watch for 20 to 40 days depending on my activity makes up for not using my watch for payments.

Attachment Attached File

I have a tan band now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:23:02 AM EDT
[#50]
I am kind of a watch guy.  Precision self winding for the image.  Apple for the apps, Garmin for sports.   I have gone though many - still use many.  For the art of chronology - get mechanical.  For Apps, get Apple.  For the best sports watch, get Garmin.  I have a fairly current Apple in the other room (wore it 2 days ago), 3 Rolex within reach (had one on 2 days ago), and a Garmin Balisticx 7 is on my wrist - which is honestly something more than 95% of the time.

I am currently drunk off my ass.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Garmin smart watches (Page 1 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top