Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2024 3:06:46 PM EDT
Lake swim is 1/2 mile. Bike is 19.something and the run is 5.5.

I can swim, bike and run. But it’s been a while since I’d swam anywhere near that far and my bike game is pretty weak.

I have a bike. It’s nothing special an old specialized tri-cross.

It’ll be in NW wa in June. Water should be cool, but not cold. Not really sure I’ll need a wetsuit.

I have a half marathon in a month then I’ll shift training to this. I’m assuming I can lay off the running a bit and focus on bike and swim. And good quick plans y’all use?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:57:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: baxt3r] [#1]
Swim.  Swim again.  Swim some more.   Swim until you can cover the whole distance without aide.  

If wetsuits are allowed, buy one.  Even though it's minimal, they do help a tiny bit with buoyancy.  And it'll keep you warmer.  

Once your done working on the swim, you'll have about an hour to work on the bike and run training.  

On race day, nothing new.  Nothing.  

And do be sure to shit before the race.  You really don't want to have to stop mid-bike or run.  Without toilet paper, use your imagination.  

For the bike, I tried to maintain a cadence around 95rpm, if I recall correctly.  Use a bike at the gym and find what works for you.   There are some older DVDs called Spinervals.  They'll kick your ass in a good way.  

Invest in a GOOD pair of tri shorts.  2XU is what I used.  Pearl Izumi are decent too.  They'll feel like you're wearing a diaper but the padding is worth it on the bike.  

Looks like you have the shoes covered.  

On the swim, just stay consistent and calm.  Don't overdo it.  It'd easy to do and will really mess you up for a bit.  

Do bricks.  Swim-bike or bike-run.  Get used to the waddle when you go to T2 (bike to run). You may have some trouble walking.  I know I did.  Not really trouble but it was awkward.

If you don't have them, look into some decent clip less pedals and shoes.  Shimano makes some good tri bike shoes.  Nice and vented and won't wreck your feet if you're a psycho who doesn't use socks for the race.  

Worat-case, learn how to change a tube quickly.  You probably won't need it in a sprint but it never hurts to be prepared.

Go here Beginner Triathlete
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top