Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2024 2:29:36 PM EDT
I swear, wifi is going to be the death of my marriage.
I started off with Unifi access points. But then my wife would complain that it would just be randomly slow.
I switched to zyxel without any real change.

I then tried a Google Nest Wifi Pro and that worked great in bridge mode in the living room, but I can't add additional devices that are hardwired to extend out past my livingroom.

What is the best wifi out there? Do I need to get Juniper or Cisco? I'll do it. I just want it to work without me having to fiddle with it or pissing my wife off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of speeds are you getting?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wswartzendruber:
What kind of speeds are you getting?
View Quote

The speeds are good. They are limited by my internet, but the same internet doesn't give me a problem when I'm hard wired in all day long. It seems more like latency, but I can't put my finger on it.
All I know is that the complaints stopped when I put in the Google Nest Wifi Pro. I just don't like that I can't expand the system beyond the first AP yet they sell them in packs of three.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Who is your ISP?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By nikroft:
Who is your ISP?
View Quote

Primary is starlink. Secondary is a local WISP. Same issues no matter which uplink the wife goes out. Issue remains when I put her on a speedfusion tunnel too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it just her device?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By number40Fan:
Is it just her device?
View Quote

Her iPhone and her laptop. Both are in the livingroom and the main users of wifi during the day. Like I said, I'm hard wired into the same network.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Unifi is amazing.

Don't blame on hardware the limitations created by the ISP.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:21:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IPv6] [#8]
On a budget? Older Ruckus access points and update the firmware to Unleashed (controllerless).

Money to burn? Aruba Instant (also controllerless).

Lots of money? Aruba, Juniper Mist, or maybe Meraki.

I primarily deploy Aruba but won't hesitate to deploy used Ruckus in a cost sensitive application.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Metonymy:
Unifi is amazing.

Don't blame on hardware the limitations created by the ISP.
View Quote

I've been a huge fan of unifi. I just don't understand how the problem went away when I switched to the google AP.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Are her devices on 2.4ghz or 5ghz wifi?

Apple recommends 20mhz channel width on 2.4ghz, so if you're setup to run greater than that on 2.4 it could cause issues.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/102766
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#12]
What's your RF environment look like?  How many other SSID's on the channel you're on?
How many devices on the network?  on the AP?  How many SSID's is your AP handling?
Things like Airtime Fairness, QoS, etc turned on?

People don't think wifi be like it is, but it do.  There's more to it than "get an expensive wifi router".
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SnowMule:
What's your RF environment look like?  How many other SSID's on the channel you're on?
How many devices on the network?  on the AP?  How many SSID's is your AP handling?
Things like Airtime Fairness, QoS, etc turned on?

People don't think wifi be like it is, but it do.  There's more to it than "get an expensive wifi router".
View Quote

To add, are all the AP's wired to a switch? Are they meshed? Is there some secondary wireless backhaul that is not part of the AP system? How is the secondary ISP connection handled (assuming something like UniFi's failover or gateway checking via the router or are we doing something more advanced like ECMP or PCC?  Need more info on the network infrastructure in play here.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#14]
My kids ipad refuses to connect to the internet via unifi. I have no idea what is wrong but my phone and my laptop use wifi just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top