Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2023 8:44:18 PM EDT
In my AO there's a local trucking outfit that will from time to time post signs around the community looking for drivers. They operate some flat beds and gravel haulers. I'm always tempted to contact them but I have absolutely no CDL experience and feel like they'd probably tell me to take a hike. Question for you guys, what would be the likelihood of a small, local operator helping out with getting a CDL A? Is this something that only mega operators do?  If I were to contact them, how could I approach the topic to show I'd put skin in the game? Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely contact them if you're interested. I applied for a school bus driver job without a CDL and they basically trained me for the test. It's very little cost to them as much of the training was done during operations. I don't recall if they covered the licence fees, but it's only about $40 in Montana.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Anastasios:
Definitely contact them if you're interested. I applied for a school bus driver job without a CDL and they basically trained me for the test. It's very little cost to them as much of the training was done during operations. I don't recall if they covered the licence fees, but it's only about $40 in Montana.
View Quote

@Anastasios

I've considered that as well. The local school district is also looking for bus drivers and they pay for the CDL B. How has your experience been doing the bus driving? I like kids, but worry that it could be extremely stressful.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Around here and local (home every night) trucking jobs are untouchable unless you either know someone really well or have 5+ years of verifiable OTR experience and a clean record.

I have a few friends and relatives that are in or have been in the industry.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Rubles:

@Anastasios

I've considered that as well. The local school district is also looking for bus drivers and they pay for the CDL B. How has your experience been doing the bus driving? I like kids, but worry that it could be extremely stressful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Anastasios:

@Anastasios

I only did it for a couple years, and that was a long time ago. Not having any kids myself, it was rough, but that was on me. I didn't have the temperament to handle it at the time. If I were to do it over again, everything would be strictly by the rules on my end, nothing more and nothing less. The rest would be handled by the system, and I wouldn't worry about it. I think every other driver in the crew was a parent.

Don't get me wrong; it was fun at times. The little kids were great, and snowballs to the back of the head from the bigger kids during winter is a guarantee.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:02:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#5]
Originally Posted By smullen:
Around here and local (home every night) trucking jobs are untouchable unless you either know someone really well or have 5+ years of verifiable OTR experience and a clean record.

I have a few friends and relatives that are in or have been in the industry.
View Quote

Absolutely untrue.   I think I have corrected you before on this.      This is simply ridiculous ‘gatekeeping’, and outdated by decades.  

Source - me, and many many people I know, including former hiring managers going back to the late 90s.  

To the OP.   Yes, it’s absolutely possible.   If you talk to them ask if they would hire you I’d you went to the trucking school on your own dime.  

That’s literally the  way in for most companies.   Due to current regulation, you have to complete the recognized training now, rather than simply take the test, so you will (most likely) have to go to the driving school even if a company were to offer to pay (unlikely for a local job).  

Once the school is completed, it counts for (1) year of experience.    Most companies now require 6 months to 1 year experience to be hired…and the diploma counts for one year…

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Woodchuck1:

Absolutely untrue.   I think I have corrected you before on this.      This is simply ridiculous ‘gatekeeping’, and outdated by decades.  

Source - me, and many many people I know, including former hiring managers going back to the late 90s.  

To the OP.   Yes, it’s absolutely possible.   If you talk to them ask if they would hire you I’d you went to the trucking school on your own dime.  

That’s literally the  way in for most companies.   Due to current regulation, you have to complete the recognized training now, rather than simply take the test, so you will (most likely) have to go to the driving school even if a company were to offer to pay (unlikely for a local job).  

Once the school is completed, it counts for (1) year of experience.    Most companies now require 6 months to 1 year experience to be hired…and the diploma counts for one year…

View Quote

@Woodchuck1

Thanks for this info, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Woodchuck1:

To the OP.   Yes, it's absolutely possible.   If you talk to them ask if they would hire you I'd you went to the trucking school on your own dime.  

That's literally the  way in for most companies.   Due to current regulation, you have to complete the recognized training now, rather than simply take the test, so you will (most likely) have to go to the driving school even if a company were to offer to pay (unlikely for a local job).  

Once the school is completed, it counts for (1) year of experience.    Most companies now require 6 months to 1 year experience to be hired and the diploma counts for one year

View Quote
I paid for my own CDL School in 2010, at the time Michigan wouldn't recognize a DOD License and covert it to a CDL (they do now). One day of class was recruiter day, dozens of companies showed up looking to hire newly minted CDL holders, for OTR and local companies. The school also had many contacts with companies that were willing to hire zero experience drivers, the school worked hard to place students because it was one of the big selling points to have most of their students hired out on passing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#8]

@Woodchuck1

Thanks for this info, I appreciate it.
View Quote

You are most welcome.   If you have any further questions, please post them.    

Starting out local is completely attainable for you (assuming you have a reasonably clean driving record and no/no recent DUIs).  

If the company you are looking at isn’t interested, there may be other options for you as well - pop back in here and myself or someone else can probably give advice that is directly applicable to you, with a few details of your location, etc.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Several LTL companies have an in-house drive school that will get you a CDL with endorsements.

Typically, you will spend half the day in drive school and half the day doing dock work. Usually a 2 year commitment (contract) or else you owe the company a pile of tuition money. Several of my coworkers are drive school graduates.

It's not glamorous, and you can count on working 60-70 hours a week. But it will get you in the door and you will be home every night.

LTL pays pretty well, too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 7:47:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fishing_cabin] [#10]
I guess it depends. Had several job opportunities driving over the road. Local opportunities are very limited mostly.  Some train, but the cost is on you.

I've had my class A CDL since I was 19 ( family business, just the state test before training was required). Was just looking at paying some bills for something part time. Drove occasionally for a farmer. In the process of getting hired by an older farmer. He owns a warehouse and older trucks. I'm almost 50 now. All those years experience really don't count depending on the company.

I could go back driving tankers. But money really isn't there. Plus I'd have to give up my regular job (non compete).
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 7:48:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fishing_cabin] [#11]
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:57:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sprocket99] [#12]
@Rubles

Does your AO have a local/regional transit bus operation? That'd be another option for getting what you want. Home every night, and 99% of those operations will train you for the CDL class they run. You won't get rich doing it, but the pay tends to be pretty decent. I've done it for years (and enjoyed it!). I'm just out of it at present due to cancer. Holler if you need more info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top