Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2022 8:30:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet]
Alright,
For YEARS in my 20's-30's I wore work boots.  Now, I'm not a tradesman in any way, but I just liked them.  It's been a long time and for the past 10 years or so, I've been wearing Merrell Moabs.  My current pair is beat to shit, so I'm thinking about going back to a leather work/style boot.  I LOVE the look of the Wolverine 1000 mile rugged boots, but there's no way I'm spending $400 on boots.  I'd like to keep it under $200 with a "traditional" look.  Something that I can still use on trails/Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes in N. MI in the summer are a plus.  I see there's all sorts of small "mom and pop" type brands now...

Milwukee Phister (lol...fist 'er)

Wilcox Shiloh

Or, go with something like a Wolverine Journeyman?

Journeyman

Danner Jack?
Danner Jack

OR go for a wedge sole (never had one)
Danner Bull Run?
Bull Run

Guide me, hive mind
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I usually get a pair of Asolo 520's every year or so. Love them, they stand up pretty well for what I do.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#2]
If you go Danner, try to get a Made in the USA model, though this may not work at your price point.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:56:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#3]
Those look pretty nice, but way over my budget.

ETA ref. the Asolos
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally I'd consider the Danner.  I haven't owned these types of their shoe but I do rock the trail shoes and love them.  holding up very well and they make wide sizes for my ogre 14EEEE feet.  Liked them enough to buy a backup pair in case they changed them over time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Advantages/disadvantages of wedge sole?
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I have those exact Danners but in 8". I like them. Wish there was less of a heel so they were closer to zero drop.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:42:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pokey074:
I have those exact Danners but in 8". I like them. Wish there was less of a heel so they were closer to zero drop.
View Quote

Jack or Bull Run?
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:

Jack or Bull Run?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pokey074:

Jack or Bull Run?
Bull Run
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:00:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ohiogators] [#9]
Wedge soles will be awful for trails.  They are made for walking on concrete floors all day.

I just bought Wolverines Raider Durashock for the first time and I love them after the break in.  I have been wearing Keen USA Braddock for several years and they will still be my summer boot, but a traditional 6" boot just feels better.  

I work HVAC, wear boots 7 days a week.  The Keens last a little over a year.  I have been through 4 or 5 pair.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:48:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#10]
Well, I found a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile Ram edition at Boot Barn for $99.  Hard to beat that price

ETA these

1000 mile ram
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Check out Rose Anvil on youtube.  Physically tears open a lot of the boots mentioned here, and lets you see what they are made of.  I was really shocked at how cheap some of the supposedly high end boots are built.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:01:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#12]
Originally Posted By georgiaboy:
Check out Rose Anvil on youtube.  Physically tears open a lot of the boots mentioned here, and lets you see what they are made of.  I was really shocked at how cheap some of the supposedly high end boots are built.
View Quote

Yeah, I fell into that wormhole when I first bought my 1000 mile boots

ETA
I just pulled the trigger on two more pairs.  Sierra often gets factory 2nds/minor blems that sell for a fraction of the price.  Just go there and search "1000 mile" and they'll show up.  Same for Red Wings.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Have a look at Jim Green. Really basic leather boot, but built like a tank. I changed out the insoles, and love mine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Advantages/disadvantages of wedge sole?
View Quote

Lots of support, across your whole foot, they dont track mud, clean out super easy.

Cons- they wear fast, not super grippy in say mud and such, scary in snow....
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#15]
What about something like

Thursday boots?

Or thorogoods?

Or carolina domestic(wedge boots, moc toe)
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By pennsylvaniaboy:
What about something like

Thursday boots?

Or thorogoods?

Or carolina domestic(wedge boots, moc toe)
View Quote

I’ve since discovered Wolverine 1000 mile boots on sale at Sierra.  I now have 4 pairs…
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#17]

I’ve since discovered Wolverine 1000 mile boots on sale at Sierra.  I now have 4 pairs…
View Quote

Picked up a pair of the rugged boots from them. While I’m not wearing them for work, I was surprised how much more room I have in the toe box than my Thorogood Moc Toes I wear for work.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 10:01:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Peefeeniz] [#18]
ROSE ANVIL on JwTube
View Quote

This ^ if you like watching reviews (fast forward to the conclusions or look for "best of 2022" etc) because the guy knows his stuff and shows you why.

Of course the downside is you'll probably want to spend more on quality after you learn more but they'll be better boots that will last longer, be resoleable. In general you want to avoid glued foam kind of boots although I have had several... comfortable out of the box but quick to break down and lose support.

Now I have foot problems and got some semi-custom boots made $$$$ but they are solid, lifetime boots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top