Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Golf
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2024 4:15:28 PM EDT
There are a lot of golf myths out there. Strokes gained data has debunked a lot of myths about the game. 3D technology has debunked a lot of myths about the swing.

Let’s start with the big one: Drive for show and putt for dough.

Aaron Baddeley is currently the best putter on the PGA tour. He hasn’t won a tour event since the 2016 Barbasol Championship. The other 4 have never won a tour event. When I looked at this late last season, none of the top 5 had ever won a PGA tour event.

Attachment Attached File

Now let’s look at strokes gained tee-to-green. Here we have the #1 player in the world with 2 wins this year, a Masters champion with 1 win this year, an Olympic gold medalist with some close calls this year, etc.

Attachment Attached File

Scottie also leads the current stats in total driving. If he putts decent he wins.

Ball striking separates skill levels. Chipping and putting separates equal ball strikers on a given day.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll add that, as bad as I've putted sometimes, other than the infamous "putt into the ocean" in Hawaii, I've never taken penalty strokes on the green.

I've taken hundreds off the tee.

Putting matters a lot, but getting off the tee in play without penalties matters more.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:34:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sean124] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Logcutter:
I'll add that, as bad as I've putted sometimes, other than the infamous "putt into the ocean" in Hawaii, I've never taken penalty strokes on the green.

I've taken hundreds off the tee.

Putting matters a lot, but getting off the tee in play without penalties matters more.
View Quote

Yep. Chipping and putting saves bad rounds or helps you go low. The average is determined mostly by how well you hit the ball.

I’ve putted into a bunker before, but never into the ocean
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Laying up to your favorite yardage is also a myth most of the time. On average, the closer you are to the green, the closer you end up to the hole. I’ve seen these stats for various handicaps and they hold up. The proximity just goes up with handicap.

You should generally get as close to the green as possible without bringing hazards into play.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The more beers I drink, the better I play.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By vatopa:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Swing lube!!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with your assessment when it comes to tour players. Where I question the SG numbers is when you look at them in a vacuum.

I've heard of 2 of those guys on the putting leaderboard. Everyone knows the best tee to green which proves your point.

Probably the most telling stat IMO is birdies per round. Eagles too.

I remember reading golf weekly when Rahm was coming out of college. I remember thinking, "spainard with the most eagles in college, he's gonna be a problem"

I just wonder how the total driving and green in regulation proximity correlate to SG putting.

I don't doubt the assessment for closer to the green the better, but how many times have you bombed one up within 40 yards of the green in a scramble and had 3 players play in front of you get it nowhere near the hole?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:42:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tanren37] [#8]

View Quote

Where's the first tee and what's the course record!?

I thought this was interesting, to your "putt for dough" point.

Attachment Attached File

According to ESPN his best finish was T7 during that period and he missed the cut 4 times.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Arfless:
I agree with your assessment when it comes to tour players. Where I question the SG numbers is when you look at them in a vacuum.

I've heard of 2 of those guys on the putting leaderboard. Everyone knows the best tee to green which proves your point.

Probably the most telling stat IMO is birdies per round. Eagles too.

I remember reading golf weekly when Rahm was coming out of college. I remember thinking, "spainard with the most eagles in college, he's gonna be a problem"

I just wonder how the total driving and green in regulation proximity correlate to SG putting.

I don't doubt the assessment for closer to the green the better, but how many times have you bombed one up within 40 yards of the green in a scramble and had 3 players play in front of you get it nowhere near the hole?
View Quote

My understanding is SG putting only looks at how you do from a certain proximity for each putt compared to your peers. It’s a far better assessment than putts per round or putts per GIR.

On average, those same 3 players would be even less near the hole from 90 yards
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Sean124:

My understanding is SG putting only looks at how you do from a certain proximity for each putt compared to your peers. It’s a far better assessment than putts per round or putts per GIR.

On average, those same 3 players would be even less near the hole from 90 yards
View Quote

Guess that's why bomb and gouge has been the name of the game since '97.

I saw Tiger in an AJGA event at my dad's home course when he was 17 (I was 18).

I figured I couldn't compete after that. Turns out not many could!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Putting is critical but having said that, if you can't put the ball in the fairway on a course with significant rough, you have little chance at scoring well unless you are chipping it close and one-putting a lot of greens that day. A player can hit every green in regulation and shoot even par but if you only hit 4-6 greens, par or under is pretty tough to accomplish.

FWIW, I found this on the percentage of putts made from various distances on the tour from 5 years ago, thought it was interesting.

3 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 99.4%
4 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 91.43%
5 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 80.72%
6 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 70.21
7 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 60.6%
8 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 52.86%
9 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 46.38
10 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 41.25%
11-15 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 30.1%
15-20 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 18.3%
20-25 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 12.47%
25+ FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 5.45%

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#12]
A few years ago in my golf league I was having huge issues of the tee.

The second week of that season I started playing 4w off the tee instead of driver, and continued doing so all year.

It was the lowest league handicap I've ever had, and most points I've ever gotten.

Now, the reality is driver SHOULD be one of the easiest clubs to hit, and I've (mostly) gotten it squared away, but getting off the tee into play without penalties is huge for avoiding big numbers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:45:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Logcutter] [#13]
Edit: two putt
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Mike_48:
Putting is critical but having said that, if you can't put the ball in the fairway on a course with significant rough, you have little chance at scoring well unless you are chipping it close and one-putting a lot of greens that day. A player can hit every green in regulation and shoot even par but if you only hit 4-6 greens, par or under is pretty tough to accomplish.

FWIW, I found this on the percentage of putts made from various distances on the tour from 5 years ago, thought it was interesting.

3 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 99.4%
4 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 91.43%
5 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 80.72%
6 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 70.21
7 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 60.6%
8 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 52.86%
9 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 46.38
10 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 41.25%
11-15 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 30.1%
15-20 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 18.3%
20-25 FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 12.47%
25+ FEET - PGA Tour percentage: 5.45%

View Quote

The two numbers that stick in my head are 8 and 32.

At 8 feet, a tour player only makes half of their putts. At 32 feet, they’re more likely to 3-putt than make the putt.

The TV gives a false perception that these guys make everything because it’s basically a highlight reel of who’s hot that day.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#15]

The two numbers that stick in my head are 8 and 32.

At 8 feet, a tour player only makes half of their putts. At 32 feet, they’re more likely to 3-putt than make the putt.

The TV gives a false perception that these guys make everything because it’s basically a highlight reel of who’s hot that day.
View Quote

And the highest accuracy off the tee is in the low 70% range, is that right?  The best of the best are only hitting 12 fairways a round.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#16]
You can hold a 1 iron straight up in the middle of a lightning storm, standing on the clubhouse roof.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By trails-end:
You can hold a 1 iron straight up in the middle of a lightning storm, standing on the clubhouse roof.
View Quote

Once!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By trails-end:
View Quote

Even God can’t hit a 1 iron. Only Jack Nicklaus.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Tanren37:

And the highest accuracy off the tee is in the low 70% range, is that right?  The best of the best are only hitting 12 fairways a round.
View Quote

Yes and it’s not the long hitters.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Even God can’t hit a 1 iron. Only Jack Nicklaus.
View Quote

My dad's childhood buddy was a senior architect for Nicklaus designs  for many years.

We went to Jack's final walk thru for the TPC Michigan.  Jack was mic'ed up and explained his course design which was interesting.  

He played it while we walked along. Probably the most interesting thing was him warming up on the range.

He hit some 8 irons, then turned to us and said, "anyone think I can get it over that 100' oak tree?"

He pulled a 2 iron out and hit it like a 9 iron right over that sonambitch.

Tour pros are a different breed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Arfless:

Tour pros are a different breed.
View Quote

I played Tucson National last year and there was a lower level nobody from the Champions Tour in the group in front of us. I don’t even remember his name.

The level of control he had over the ball was insane.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:58:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_48] [#22]
I played in HS & college and was just an average player that managed to shoot a good round once in a while.  During that time I got to play with 3 pros from the PGA tour, one being a NCAA champion, top 30 money winner, Payne Stewart award winner, Ryder Cup and nine time tour winner.  

It kind of crushed any aspirations I had of pursuing  golf as a player.  I could not believe how anyone could be that good. I swear, the guy averaged 3 thirty footers and a chip-in or two every round and made it look effortless. It is a different world.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I played in HS & college and was just an average player that managed to shoot a good round once in a while.  During that time I got to play with 3 pros from the PGA tour, one being a NCAA champion, top 30 money winner, Payne Stewart award winner, Ryder Cup and nine time tour winner.  

It kind of crushed any aspirations I had of pursuing  golf as a player.  I could not believe how anyone could be that good. I swear, the guy averaged 3 thirty footers and a chip-in or two every round and made it look effortless. It is a different world.
View Quote

People have no comprehension of that level of play. I tell someone I shot a 68 and they ask if I can play the tour.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#24]
During that time I got to play with 3 pros from the PGA tour, one being a NCAA champion, top 30 money winner, Payne Stewart award winner, Ryder Cup and nine time tour winner.  

View Quote

Yeah, that happened to me in hockey.

Practice goalie for the wild.  Fantasies about if I would have been good enough were absolutely and permanently crushed.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:56:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sean124] [#25]

Yeah, that happened to me in hockey.

Practice goalie for the wild.  Fantasies about if I would have been good enough were absolutely and permanently crushed.

View Quote

I was a pretty good hockey player and have been on the ice with Oleg Saprykin. Again, different world.

BTW, he was a fucking dick.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, at least I got asked back and they let me keep the jersey.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#27]

BTW, he was a fucking dick.
View Quote

That's unusually in my experience with hockey players.  I was goalie for the NHL Alumni in charity games for 15+ years, only a couple D-bags in all that time.

Brett Hull didn't think me saying "it wasn't a goal, you were in the crease" was funny.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Sir, now that you posted that.. you have to wear that for your run at HL this year. Congratulations
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:08:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Logcutter] [#29]
Originally Posted By CesSnap:

Sir, now that you posted that.. you have to wear that for your run at HL this year. Congratulations
View Quote

I'll wear my cooler one

Attachment Attached File

Has my name on the back.

And we need dates!!!

I'm less fat than last year but older
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#30]

That's unusually in my experience with hockey players.  I was goalie for the NHL Alumni in charity games for 15+ years, only a couple D-bags in all that time.

Brett Hull didn't think me saying "it wasn't a goal, you were in the crease" was funny.  

View Quote

I agree. Every nhl player I’ve met has been great except for that fucking guy. He was firing head-high slap shots in a beer league game and slew footed my dad.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#31]

I agree. Every nhl player I’ve met has been great except for that fucking guy. He was firing head-high slap shots in a beer league game and slew footed my dad.
View Quote

I had a bunch of interactions with nhl players. Mostly Wings back in the cup day of the late 90's early 2000's.

I worked my way thru college bartending at a metro detroit nightclub. We were the hot new club and a lot of the Wings frequented our place.

Most were really great guys. I was on a first name basis with a few.

After I  graduated I kept the side job for fun, girls, and cash.  One night I was in a pissy mood and didn't feel like dealing with the public as much so I worked the waitress well.

I was standing with my back to the crowd and here, "hey Marc, check this out".

As I turned around, Manny Legace (wings backup goalie in '02) soft tossed me a stanley cup ring.

Have better stories I'd pm, but don't want to tell across the golf forum.
Page General » Golf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top