Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Golf
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2024 9:21:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cttb]
Anybody hack together a golf simulator on the cheap?

Is there a package that works OK but doesn't  cost much?

Cheap is $1,000 or less. I don't mind setting up a monitor instead of hitting into a screen. I could also steal my son's projector, if I have to. I'll order crap off Temu, too. This is not a buy once, cry once kind of party.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#1]
This is the golf forum equivalent of the "cheap night vision" questions in GD.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve seen used SkyTrak and Mevo+ listed on GolfWRX at or slightly under $1000.

Those are the PVS-14s of the launch monitor world.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't kept up with much that has come out new since I setup my Skytrak a few years ago.
You may get a used Skytrak for around $1000 but then then it requires subscriptions, a decent computer, hitting mat, net/impact screen, etc.
I don't see it being doable for your budget.

The only decent option that I have heard about is the Garmin Approach R10.
It looks like it has some limitations like not being easily able to hook to a projector or large monitor.
But for less than $600 it does look like it has a lot of good features.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the Garmin R10. It works very well in everything with the exception of steel corrugated building. I bought it with the sole purpose of the boss and I being able to play  at lunch time at work in the winter time.  The corrugated walls in our shop messed with the radar to the point it was useless. I ended up selling it. It worked great in my father in laws shop where the interior was all covered in drywall and ply wood, and worked great outside as well. I ran it through a 10" tablet, had a net to hit into and bought a 5X7 hitting mat.  I was all in at about $800
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
A buddy sold me his skytrac, mat and net return for 1000.   I love it, plan on adding a projector and impact screen.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I need to set something up in my shop with a net I can raise and lower reasonable quickly.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you get away with 9' of head room, or do you really need 10 feet?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigPolska:
Can you get away with 9' of head room, or do you really need 10 feet?
View Quote

Do you want to swing driver without developing an "indoor" swing?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Logcutter:

Do you want to swing driver without developing an "indoor" swing?
View Quote

Your right, just wish I had a tall enough indoor spot
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Used Garmin R10 - $500
Net - $100-200
Retired mat from a driving range - cheap, if not free

Use a phone or iPad with the R10 for easy setup.  Maybe find a pole with a spike on one end and a tablet/phone holder on the other end for outdoor use.  

You get 5 free courses with E6 Connect on the R10.  There are also 2 driving ranges in the included software.  They are free.  You don't need a subscription unless you want to play the other courses.
Page General » Golf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top