Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PeepEater:

May have been state sales taxes that are not paid as well.
View Quote

Neither the PD or Grant would have been paying state sales tax. The PD does not because they are a government entity and Grant would not because he is buying it for resale and would charge sales tax when he sells it.

What he would avoid paying is the 11% excise tax that is added to the cost of ammo for sale to civilians. When a PD buys ammo for duty use they do not pay that. My guess is that is what he was avoiding.

What is so hard to understand about misrepresentation for the purposes of tax evasion???
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JeepersCreepers:

I don't get it either.  The distributor agreed to sell a product for X price, and they received X price for the product.  Business transaction, done deal.

Should the distributor blacklist him and the police dept. and refuse to sell anything to them ever again?  Absolutely.

His LE friend did the transaction, all he did was go pick it up after it was already paid for.  Am I committing stolen valor if I (non-military) get my military friend to order something from Lowe's with his 10% discount and then I go pick it up?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 42ATK:

How is that a crime to get LE pricing?

I don't get it either.  The distributor agreed to sell a product for X price, and they received X price for the product.  Business transaction, done deal.

Should the distributor blacklist him and the police dept. and refuse to sell anything to them ever again?  Absolutely.

Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:

Fraud.  Representative himself as LE.

His LE friend did the transaction, all he did was go pick it up after it was already paid for.  Am I committing stolen valor if I (non-military) get my military friend to order something from Lowe's with his 10% discount and then I go pick it up?

Yes.   And if you were doing it in volume for resale, a fraud and a criminal.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Why the fuck is that a felony?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#4]
What did The Chart™ say he should have been sentenced to?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:06:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#5]
Looks like no one bothered reading or understanding the article link. Grant was convicted of a state telecom fraud 1st degree misdemeanor.

The fraud was representing the ammo was for PD sales not retail sales.

I asked if the feds could still go after him for not paying the 11% federal excise tax. I think it’s possible.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Bedouin2W:
View Quote

LOL love it!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:31:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#8]
So now getting too good of a deal on ammo is a felony

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

There is a significant difference between avoiding paying taxes using fraud and using the discount of a private company. The government is going to allow skipping out on taxes to slide.
The government missed out on their tax money as the LEO and Grant fraudulently represented what the ammo would be used for. It's no different than you claiming you have dependents you don't have on your taxes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully he is forced out of business over this. Dude has always been a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SemperGumbi:

LOL love it!
View Quote

I'm glad someone got the reference.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:46:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#13]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
is right... read post #5 above - RIF

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Originally Posted By Millennial:
So now getting too good of a deal on ammo is a felony
is right... read post #5 above - RIF

C'mon, who hasn't helped their friends or family buy a blue label Glock or get a big mil/responder discount on a high-dollar Vortex scope or checked out for them at Lowes?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Discounts for me but not for thee.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By C-4:

Why not suspend the sentence if they pay the police supply company back the difference in price?  $1,000 fine seems pointless.  Why not make restitution part of the deal to drop some of the charges?  The cop got fucked hard with the felony conviction but this guy skates with only 90 days in jail and a misdemeanor?  Did he testify against the cop?
View Quote

Police agencies don't pay federal excise tax 10-11%.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Didn't even know an excise tax existed on ammo for civilians!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:54:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#18]

Neither the PD or Grant would have been paying state sales tax. The PD does not because they are a government entity and Grant would not because he is buying it for resale and would charge sales tax when he sells it.

What he would avoid paying is the 11% excise tax that is added to the cost of ammo for sale to civilians. When a PD buys ammo for duty use they do not pay that. My guess is that is what he was avoiding.

What is so hard to understand about misrepresentation for the purposes of tax evasion???
View Quote

Excise Taxes on constitutionally protected firearms and ammunition are bullshit.

AFA I'm concerned, he was doing the Lord's work redistributing the king's ammo.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Excise Taxes on constitutionally protected firearms and ammunition are bullshit.

View All Quotes

Considering his history of trying to do price fixing with other forum vendors. He certainly was just padding his profits while charging his customers the most he could get them to pay. This dude is a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pair_of_ACES] [#20]

View All Quotes

Bullshit.

Timberlake is an asshole, has always been an asshole, and speaking of, I hope his asshole gets stretched a bit in jail.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:

Bullshit.

Timberlake is an asshole, has always been an asshole, and speaking of, I hope his asshole gets stretched a bit in jail.

View Quote

If a legal defense fund gets set up for the guy who pushes his shit in, I would probably donate.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:39:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack_Of_Some_Trades] [#22]
Originally Posted By dog_dad:
View Quote

only for the last 100+ years.

Attachment Attached File

https://sgp.fas.org/crs/misc/IF12173.pdf
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:50:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#23]

View All Quotes

The constitution gives congress that bullshit power:

https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artI-S8-C1-1-3/ALDE_00013389/

Article I, Section 8, Clause 1:

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States; . . .

Article I, Section 8, Clause 1 of the Constitution authorizes Congress to lay and collect duties, imposts, or excise taxes—collectively referred to as indirect taxes—and requires that they be uniform throughout the United States.1 The Supreme Court has held that an indirect tax satisfies the Uniformity Clause only when the tax ‘operates with the same force and effect in every place where the subject of it is found.2 In general, an indirect tax does not violate the Uniformity Clause where the subject of the indirect tax is described in non-geographical terms.3 If Congress uses geographical terms to describe the subject of the indirect tax, then the Supreme Court will examine the classification closely to see if there is actual geographic discrimination.4

more at the link

A basic idea of the constitution is that, unless explicitly stated, no part of the constitution supersedes other parts of the constitution.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By dskeet:

Considering his history of trying to do price fixing with other forum vendors. He certainly was just padding his profits while charging his customers the most he could get them to pay. This dude is a piece of shit.
View Quote

I am glad some of us have been around long enough to remember him and his antics.

All those of you defending him like the idea of him screwing Uncle Sam out of taxes but I guarantee he was screwing his customers at the same time.

He conspired with other vendors to fix pricing on hard to get items so that the members of ARFCOM (his primary customer base at the time) got screwed with higher prices.

The only reason he got found out was one of the other vendors he was bullying complained about it and he was exposed and then booted from ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#25]

I am glad some of us have been around long enough to remember him and his antics.

All those of you defending him like the idea of him screwing Uncle Sam out of taxes but I guarantee he was screwing his customers at the same time.

He conspired with other vendors to fix pricing on hard to get items so that the members of ARFCOM (his primary customer base at the time) got screwed with higher prices.

The only reason he got found out was one of the other vendors he was bullying complained about it and he was exposed and then booted from ARFCOM.
View All Quotes

Was there more to what he did than expecting all other vendors to stick to MAP?  I get we all are supposed to hate MAP, but it is legal and is not considered price fixing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Kihn:

Its utter contempt for his customers. You became aware of it when you spoke with him on the phone.
Like a televangelist. Without the charisma. And much more crude.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kihn:
Originally Posted By Steviesegal:
I bought something from him once, an SB tatical brace it never came in a box. It was a brace just wrapped in bubble wrap.

He actually goes by William Timberlake on facebook hes in the groups there selling, every time I see him post I laugh.

Its utter contempt for his customers. You became aware of it when you spoke with him on the phone.
Like a televangelist. Without the charisma. And much more crude.
I ordered some stuff off of him before the MAP drama unfolded and the the other site/Aimless wars.  

That's all I got.  I think I still occasionally get an email from the business all these years later.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
https://www.wjer.com/news/gun-shop-owner-sentenced-for-ammo-resale-scheme/

Timberlake, of G and R Tactical, and a police officer accomplice ordered ammunition through the police dept to get a reduced rate. Timberlake somehow paid for it. Timberlake made the mistake of picking up the ammo and the ammo distributor smelled a rat, probably because some small PD made a huge order for ammo and the ammo was picked up by some random non policeman.

Both Timberlake and the officer were charged  with felonies and plead to misdemeanors. Oops the cop plead to a felony

Timberlake was sentenced to 90 days in jail and 90 days house arrest. I'm surprised he got jail time.

The police supply company said they were out about $18k on the police discount price v if they sold the ammo at full price but they didn't ask for restitution.

edit unrelated but the Timberlakes sold their interest in the m4carbine website.

View Quote

Fuck that guy
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Linvx:

This.  That dude is a turd.  

He was always the first guy to call factories and report other dealers for MAP violations.

Couldn’t have happened to a more deserving guy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
Can he resume in the gun industry with a first degree misdemeanor conviction and incarceration once released?
View Quote

Lots of convicts in the gun industry
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:56:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SemperGumbi] [#30]
Originally Posted By spmx7777:

Was there more to what he did than expecting all other vendors to stick to MAP?  I get we all are supposed to hate MAP, but it is legal and is not considered price fixing.
View Quote

This is at least 10 years ago maybe more. If was way before MAP even became a common thing. In any case he was trying to get all the dealers to agree to sell at MSRP or above so it would not have mattered.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Criminals cut from the dame cloth .no matter what.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

I found out as this was ongoing.  Right after I ordered something from him.  OTS, people would ask about a certain firearm item and he always chimed in that he had it in stock and posted a link to his website.  Scammy fuck.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack_Of_Some_Trades:
Originally Posted By dog_dad:

only for the last 100+ years.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/8695/Screenshot_2024-04-16_104058_png-3189565.JPG
https://sgp.fas.org/crs/misc/IF12173.pdf
The TTB isn't any more fun to deal with than the regular ATF.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:

If a legal defense fund gets set up for the guy who pushes his shit in, I would probably donate.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:

Bullshit.

Highly doubtful anything like that is going to happen. He'll do a few months then get released on probation and have to do community service.  Especially if it's some small town jail.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

I remember that.
The only time I tried to order anything from him, he advertised on the EE, and when I called to order, Roxanne told me that he didn't sell them because he didn't like the brand. I don't even remember wtf it was that I was trying to order, but I do remember that it gave me the impression that the guy's a fucking turd.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

LOL love it!

Somebody gotta make sure it's parked under the FSB!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Roxanne is an amazing lady, I truly feel sorry for her.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#40]
IIRC he was a pompous ass when he was on this site
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Bought my 1301 from them years ago. Gen 2 $999

Other than that I know nothing about the company.

I wish I could buy discount ammo
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, I guess big boy rules weren't enough.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#43]
This warms my heart.

Karma, bitch.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 42ATK:
How is that a crime to get LE pricing?
View Quote

Well for starters, tax evasion. I'm pretty sure LE pricing doesn't include the 11% Pittman-Robertson excise tax.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:55:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:34:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

I thought the price difference was chiefly the Pittman Robertson tax.  Government doesn’t pay it so they get an adjusted price plus what ever they get as a special deal.

I don’t know at what point the tax is laid on the product or if the distributer has to fill out forms for tax credit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
Originally Posted By Aimless:
https://www.wjer.com/news/gun-shop-owner-sentenced-for-ammo-resale-scheme/

Timberlake, of G and R Tactical, and a police officer accomplice ordered ammunition through the police dept to get a reduced rate. Timberlake somehow paid for it. Timberlake made the mistake of picking up the ammo and the ammo distributor smelled a rat, probably because some small PD made a huge order for ammo and the ammo was picked up by some random non policeman.

Both Timberlake and the officer were charged  with felonies and plead to misdemeanors. Oops the cop plead to a felony

Timberlake was sentenced to 90 days in jail and 90 days house arrest. I'm surprised he got jail time.

The police supply company said they were out about $18k on the police discount price v if they sold the ammo at full price but they didn't ask for restitution.

edit unrelated but the Timberlakes sold their interest in the m4carbine website.

I thought the price difference was chiefly the Pittman Robertson tax.  Government doesn’t pay it so they get an adjusted price plus what ever they get as a special deal.

I don’t know at what point the tax is laid on the product or if the distributer has to fill out forms for tax credit.

Well I am guessing that might be where they came up with an actual crime out of this- false filling out of the FET form (federal excise tax/Pittman Robertson 11% tax).  As otherwise getting a discount improperly might be more of a civil matter for the gun shop, and a disciplinary matter for the LEO.

Basically, LE pricing is more constant than retail- if there is a run on ammo, and prices spike, the LE price is often locked in at the bid rate given for the year.  And part of those bids sometimes is allowing other agencies to order on the same pricing.  

We basically had the state bid price, and any agency could order at that price, or try to negotiate their own, but getting a better rate than the state bid was unlikely.  Now when times were tough, you might get cheaper ammo, but it might take 6-12 months to get.

On the other hand, bid price could also be quite a bit above the price you might get with any type of sale pricing, even realizing that you were paying the 11% FET.  I bought Speer Gold Dot .223 for SWAT issue from PSA on a p-card at retail (sale) pricing, because it was a lot cheaper than bid pricing, and because the ammo would arrive in less than a week.  Did the same with various practice ammo types during ammo gluts as well.

Hell I know of bid pricing where individual LEO’s were allowed to order smaller amounts (like a case or 2) at agency pricing with the full knowledge of the vendor, though I assume they had to pay FET.

(Was gonna say I never had that option, but now that I think of it- I may have bought some 12 gauge cheap way back in the day for myself that exact way when I was picking up an agency order.)
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:39:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

The cop price is without the .gov taxes. The ammo supplier didn't lose a penny.

View Quote

They may have actually made more of a profit .  Govt bid pricing is quite often well above what a decent sale price is.  Have seen it often- why are we paying $300/k for X, when it is $280 retail- which includes the tax?  Etc..

It is all about availability and constant pricing.  A smart agency can order it cheap when ammo is scarce and they are using locked in pricing, and can also order it from retail vendors cheap when prices drop.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:45:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By spmx7777:
Looks like no one bothered reading or understanding the article link. Grant was convicted of a state telecom fraud 1st degree misdemeanor.

The fraud was representing the ammo was for PD sales not retail sales.

I asked if the feds could still go after him for not paying the 11% federal excise tax. I think it’s possible.
View Quote

Seeing that further down the thread, but nobody has explained what the hell that actually means…

Did he lie over the telephone?
Lie to a telecom company?
Lie about exemption to the FET tax, over the telephone?

Kind of vague so far!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:09:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:
Moral of the story : don't be a douche bag. If you ARE a douche bag, don't be a stupid douche bag.

If you ARE a stupid douche bag then this is what you get.
View Quote

and your family suffers for it
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:11:54 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

From Grants perspective ammo was in short supply...he found a way to get some to provide for his customers he choose poorly.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top