Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2024 7:29:00 PM EDT
I’m getting gifted a green egg. I have a pellet grill that I use religiously , and outside of a trusty old
Smokey, I haven’t messed with much else. What’s your favorite thing to cook on the green egg that you wouldn’t go to your regular BBQ for? I’m trying to find a use for it before selling it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:01:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#1]
The internal volume is a little small on the large.  They hold heat well and can both cook low and slow with very little charcoal or can get blazing hot if you want to make steaks or pizzas.

I use mine for everything from smoking home cured bacon and salmon to making pizzas.

The biggest drawback is that you have to plan ahead to use them.  It takes a while to get them up to temp so you can't just turn a knob and be ready to cook in 5 minutes.  If you are OK with that they can be very useful.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:14:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JimmyAR] [#2]
Gifted, oh yeah learn how to use it and cook what you want on it aside from the Traeger.    Turkeys, ribs, Prime rib.   Not a lot you can cook on that vs a Traeger.  

Just my 2cent worth.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't have a BGE but have a similar kamado style grill called a Primo. Love them. Can smoke a brisket at 200 for 15 hours and then crank it up to sear a steak at 600 degrees on the same run of charcoal.  Versatile and food tastes great.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had a couple different pellet grills and still have a larger Traeger.  I also have a BGE, large.  I really like it for standard grilling.  I haven't smoked on it much due to having the Traeger and not enough time to learn he smoke side of the BGE.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By r3dot:
I’m getting gifted a green egg. I have a pellet grill that I use religiously , and outside of a trusty old
Smokey, I haven’t messed with much else. What’s your favorite thing to cook on the green egg that you wouldn’t go to your regular BBQ for? I’m trying to find a use for it before selling it.
View Quote

I cook a lot on my egg, I prefer it to the pellet smoker in everything but convenience. Sometimes tho I use them in conjunction.

I like to smoke a steak on its lowest setting till it probes 115⁰. While doing this I get the egg up to 600⁰. 1 minute or so on each side and the steak comes out perfect.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VT_K9:
I have had a couple different pellet grills and still have a larger Traeger.  I also have a BGE, large.  I really like it for standard grilling.  I haven't smoked on it much due to having the Traeger and not enough time to learn he smoke side of the BGE.

Mike
View Quote

Watch a few videos on YouTube. Its actually pretty easy to learn to smoke on one.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a large egg, it is a good cooker,
great on chicken, or any other food to cook

my only issue with it, your going to wash you hands a lot, open it up and remove the grill, ceramic below the grill
push around the cold charcoal, then empty the ash tray. it all makes a mess
I average 5 times I have to wash my hands after setting it up and getting the food on.
also you have to use one big chunk of wood to get some smoke going, no way to add wood once the fire is going
and the grill is set up

other than that, I use mine 3-4 days a week, it is stingy on charcoal, and just about everything that I have done comes out great
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top