Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 9/17/2023 10:06:56 PM EDT
Ok gentleman, I recently gifted my Webber Spirit to a family member because I needed something bigger. Now I’m back in the market for a new outdoor cooking device. Torn between a Webber Genesis, Blackstone or a Traeger. What say the hive as the ultimate outdoor cooking appliance? Or do you need to have one of each haha.

Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
They do different things. I have both a Weber Spirit and a Recteq Bull. I can do some grilling on the Recteq, but it's built more for controlled low and slow cooking. Whereas I can get ripping hot temps on my Spirit within a few minutes. The Spirit is also cheaper to run since propane is cheap and it's fuel-efficient, so it's great for regular cooks where I'm just grilling some meat or similar.

Also be careful with Traeger. I know a few years ago they shifted a lot of their manufacturing to China and their QC took a huge hit; not sure how much of that's still true but you need to do a lot of research before you pull the trigger on any of their products. Yes, the Recteq is made in China as well, but they do a lot of checking and QC with it, plus have phenomenal CS, and it seems like the factories they use aren't the ones churning out crap, they spend a little more care in materials quality and assembly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:26:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Have had a Recteq 1250 for a month now, have made some great brisket and pulled pork. Tried a take and bake pizza the other day with mesquite pellets and grill grates, turned out great.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Genesis and have never said "I need a griddle or smoker."

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:35:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PvtJoeBauers] [#5]
Of your suggestions

1 - pellet grill for flavor and ease
2 - Weber Genesis for ease and quality of grill
3 - griddle it’s more versatile but lackluster and high maintenance

As suggest above look at ceramic cookers. It’s likely be my next purchase but quite a way down the road.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Pellet grill but not a Traeger.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:42:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
Pellet grill but not a Traeger.
View Quote

recteq
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigbad401:

recteq
View Quote

This, you can put a pizza stone or a griddle on it and have the ability to put it in riot mode which is 749 degrees for a great sear.

I have the bullseye which is fine for two people.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 12:07:19 AM EDT
[#9]
RecTeq!
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Traegers suck for anything but low and slow. Take forever to warm up (coming from someone who mainly uses charcoal) and you can't get a good sear.

For "all purpose" out of the ones listed, I'd go with the gas Weber, with an asterisk: if you make burgers a lot, want to be able to saute, want to make breakfast food, and never need to bake pizza etc, griddles are awesome. Grill burgers are inferior to griddle burgers.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Personal preference is the pellet smoker. I didn't think I would use ours as much as we do. I cook on it at least 3x per week.

If I had the space I would also have a Blackstone.

A Webber kettle is an inexpensive way to get a good sear on steaks and burgers.

Propane would be my last choice. I haven't cooked on it for years. I tossed the old Webber gas grill we had 2 years ago from lack of use.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 7:34:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TODD-67] [#12]
Double tap.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#13]
And this is why I posted here. I didn’t know anything about the Recteq, now that I’m looking into it , they look awesome.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Also, as an FYI, you can get a griddle attachment for the Weber Genesis and many Recteq grills. I would recommend that for the gas burners as they can get better temps than most pellet smokers.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:13:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ohiogators] [#15]
Masterbuilt gravity and a blackstone.

Charcoal will always be better than pellets
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Get a hybrid and you can use charcoal, pellets, or wood.

Like this
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Home: Blackstone 28" and Pitboss 1600

Tailgating: Blackstone 22 E-series and Portable pitboss
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#18]
RT is probably where id put my money on intro pellet smoker.Go bigger than what you think you need, you always want more space i never hear people say they want less.I have several of the old weber line before they became tinfoil and one is of legal drinking age now and still going strong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top