Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2024 10:04:41 PM EDT
Anybody used one of these?  
Any idea what width of 6061 you can reasonably roll at 3/32 or 1/8 thickness?  

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-12-slip-roll/t10727
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Max capacity is 20 ga. With rollers that small i can't see you rolling any more than it's rated for.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
Max capacity is 20 ga. With rollers that small i can't see you rolling any more than it's rated for.
View Quote

Not a lot of detailed info about any similar slip rolls online, but I found a YouTube showing them bending 0.095 steel strips that looked about 1.5 inches wide so it’ll obviously do more than 20g.  

I figured there might be a limit In how far you can space out the adjustable roller, maybe the threads for the adjustment bolts strip easily, or something similar would limit you.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

Not a lot of detailed info about any similar slip rolls online, but I found a YouTube showing them bending 0.095 steel strips that looked about 1.5 inches wide so it’ll obviously do more than 20g.  

I figured there might be a limit In how far you can space out the adjustable roller, maybe the threads for the adjustment bolts strip easily, or something similar would limit you.  
View Quote

.094 is 3X max thickness, .125 is 4X.

I can't remember exactly but I think bending forces increase to the 3rd power with thickness. So something 4X thicker takes 64X the force to bend. That poor little roller can't handle that. It's 12" wide, now look at the proportion of diameter to roller width. Those rollers are probably 3/4" diameter. They aren't going to hold up to rolling too much thicker than rated, especially not 3X & 4X thicker...
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:13:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
So something 4X thicker takes 64X the force to bend. …..Those rollers are probably 3/4" diameter. They aren't going to hold up to rolling too much thicker than rated, especially not 3X & 4X thicker...
View Quote

Well, if aluminum has half the yield strength then 4x thicker only takes 32x the force to bend!
The rollers are 1.25 inch, that’s a very strong 12 inch bar.  I’m not worried about the rollers, I’m worried about the adjustment screw threads stripping or there even being enough adjustment for much thicker metal.  

Based on the videos I found online, 3/32 AL looks like it should be easy.  Unsure about 1/8.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top