Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Guitar Pick Thread (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2023 12:07:11 PM EDT
The Tortex are my EDC picks for electric and acoustic but I'm trying out the Ibanez Sand Grip pick these days for electric. The quarter was made by a buddy in his college metals lab. Its a great electric pick for all kinds of music just different. I tried the Yngwie pick but it didn't make me arpeggio. I wasn't worthy enough to use the JP pick...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A whole bucket of picks and the dava are all I use.

Roll my thumb forward for better picking control, roll back for a better strumming technique - like a paint brush.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll  have to dig out and get a pic of the various picks I have.  I've got so many scattered around in cases and boxes.  Dunlop, Star Picks, Fender, one with pieces of guitar strings sticking out of it to give a 12 string type of sound, thick clear plastic triangle picks....

I like gadgets and will try different things like oddball picks out to see what I like.  I've always gone back to Fender Thins most of the time, which my brothers hated as they were too thin for their liking when they'd pick up one of my guitars and find a thin in the strings.  lol
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
This is what I'm currently using.
Attachment Attached File

I don't see ever going back.
I spent a long time collecting a LOT of different picks.
I like having some texture, because I constantly lose them. So I initially gravitated toward
Tortex. But they just weren't enough for me. I tried max-grip, which are quite heavily textured.
I also like the "give" of nylon. My preference for thickness varies over time from between .73mm to 1mm.
That is, until I tried some jazzIII picks my son had laying around.
They are 1.38mm, and the raised lettering gives adequate grip.
They were just a wee bit too small. Then I found the JP jazz picks.
Here they are in a line up with a standard sized maxi grip, an XL jazz pick,
A JP jazz pick, and a standard red jazz III.
Attachment Attached File

The JP is textured, and is ever so slightly larger than the jazz III.
I laid the jazz III on top of the JP, and you can see there is a difference.
Attachment Attached File

So for guitar, the JP ticks all the boxes for me.
Turns out I still use the full sized picks for bass.
I just knock the tip off by rounding it on a belt sander to take the "plink" out of it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 6:26:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kazual] [#4]
I've gravitated to a heavier pick after my re-dedication to playing, yellow tortex used to be as heavy as I thought I'd go. 12 and 1 o'clock are my current favorites.  I felt I used to have a lot of problems with keeping a pick in playing position and preferred textured and medium/light picks.  Maybe my grip or pick manipulation has improved as for now I'm quite satisfied with the 1.00 mm Everlast Delrin and the the PRS H Celluloid.  I thought ultex was going to be the thing but $$$ and the .73 was quickly getting a rough edge from my sawing on the strings?  The large triangle shape was not my thing, maybe I'll find a use for it? Celluloid wears much faster in my hand than the Delrin, but they're comparatively cheap and there's something about them I seem to like at this time, maybe nostalgia?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 4:26:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Dunlop Primetone standard(.88)
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 4:35:22 AM EDT
[#6]

I burn thru these at an alarming rate, so i Will use Dunlop or similar ones to save them.
I love fender the most, but Is not difficult to find others similar in shape and thickness but more durable.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I buy a bulk pack of these once or twice a year from Amazon. Only ones I use anymore. Dunlop Tortex XL Jazz III 1.14
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hellishhorses:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139172/image_jpg-2909054.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139172/image_jpg-2909055.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139172/image_jpg-2909056.JPG

Roll my thumb forward for better picking control, roll back for a better strumming technique - like a paint brush.
View Quote

I agree. I've tried a bunch and really like the Dava. All the rest sit in a box on my shelf.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 6:40:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: corwin1968] [#10]
I'm just starting to learn Guitar and one of the fun things I've discovered is trying new picks.  I mostly practice on acoustic and I'm astonished how much difference the pick makes in how the guitar sounds.  I even bought a set of specially formulated Taylor picks that are designed to "darken" the tone of a Taylor guitar.

I mainly use Tortex Flex .5 picks, which give guitars a very bright sound.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Red Tortex 50s are my favorites.

2nd fave are some PRS 73s.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 6:57:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlamingDragon] [#12]
I'm a heavy strummer and I do like heavy picks to get some extra volume out of an acoustic but more often than not I'll end up breaking a B string or E string. So I had to tone it down to medium or even light. I've been using the planet waves celluloid and I like them but tortex is great too and Fender picks.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:19:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#13]
Used the Dunlop .88s for many years - I like the angle that wears into them. I got the replacements illustrated, and have been grabbing the Everlasts. Haven't really used the others enough to have an opinion. I should give them more of a go.

Link Posted: 8/6/2023 11:13:11 PM EDT
[#14]
The picks I use I design and have made..  About 35 bucks a hundred with promo discount. They make great trinkets to give out,
peeps dig 'em.

Here you go Intne Guitar Picks. Sign up for promotions, they have them every
so often,  You can save a few bucks.

They have shapes and pick types that will match your needs, for the most part.

They will proof your design, really easy people to work with.

The MOTS ones I give away, just a medium fender celluloid style. The pink ones are tortex type .035.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got a silly amount of different picks for how much guitar I play lately.  I'll get some pictures.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Fender heavy here
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#18]
For Electrics I use the black JazzIII but I have a stippling tip on a soldering iron that I use to heavily texture them.  I use to just score them with a crosshatch using a utility knife but stippling is much nicer.  I actually also prefer them to be a little rounded over at the tip to I break them in using a sanding block and they last months and months.

For Acoustics I use the Fender Medium in the Ska pattern (black and white checker).

I've tried tons of picks but always come back to those two that I've been using since I was 14 years old.   Damned near 30 years now!
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

I've purchased several different multi packs to try.  Ultex, tortex, had a bunch of nylon.

So far I like the Jazz III XL shape and size the most and the Primetone texturing is nice and grippy without being too sharp.

If anyone loves or wants to try the small Jazz IIIs I'd mail you some (bottom of the pic).
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Almost forgot my novelty picks bc lol

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:58:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jakezor] [#21]
They missed an opportunity to say "This is not the real pick, its just a tribute".
Tenacious D - Tribute (Official Video)
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Max-Grip 1.0mm for me.  I just can't keep a grip on anything else.  I do want to try the John Petrucci Jazz picks though.  The pointer tip draws me in, but regular Jazz IIIs are too dang small.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:04:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M1Zeppelin] [#23]
Dunlop green .88

Used to run the .73mm nylon
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:16:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fastluck13] [#24]
Dunlop green…..or the .88 tortex flex (clearish)
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:39:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Redoubt99] [#25]
Ive used the red Dunlap tortex (.50 ) for as long as I can remember. Probably close to 20 something years.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Moophestopholes demands tribute for toan

These days I primarily use Dunlop Flow 2mm but ocassionaly will grab one of these.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
For Electrics I use the black JazzIII but I have a stippling tip on a soldering iron that I use to heavily texture them.  I use to just score them with a crosshatch using a utility knife but stippling is much nicer.  I actually also prefer them to be a little rounded over at the tip to I break them in using a sanding block and they last months and months.

For Acoustics I use the Fender Medium in the Ska pattern (black and white checker).

I've tried tons of picks but always come back to those two that I've been using since I was 14 years old.   Damned near 30 years now!
View Quote

I've been thinking about recontouring some of the Tortex picks that are worn down from chugging.

Allegedly Jimmy Vaughn uses picks punched out of hotel card keys. I need to try that one also.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Czechers:

I've been thinking about recontouring some of the Tortex picks that are worn down from chugging.

Allegedly Jimmy Vaughn uses picks punched out of hotel card keys. I need to try that one also.
View Quote

Don't know about that, but he held it in his mouth wherever he would fingerpick. I was kinda glad he didn't toss it to the audience at the end of the concert.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Mech2007:

Don't know about that, but he held it in his mouth wherever he would fingerpick. I was kinda glad he didn't toss it to the audience at the end of the concert.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/137980/20230625_200225-2915858.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mech2007:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/137980/20230625_200225-2915858.jpg

Found it!

What kind of picks do you use?
Well, you're not gonna believe this, but I use my hotel keys and I cut them to shape.I make a point. I like a point on the end. And even when I use my Fender mediums, which I also like, I cut them to a point, so I have that "click," you know?You can get so many different sounds, just with the tip and the thickness of the pick  like with how far down you hold the pick, so the amount of "flop" is controlled. Especially with flatwounds.

How did you find out that plastic hotel keys would be good for picks?
[Laughs.] I just was experimenting and I thought, "Well, I'll try it out on this hotel key," and darn if it didn't work good! And then I thought, "Gosh, I'm on the road all the time. I can save all my hotel keys." You don't want to turn them in don't tell the hotel that [laughs] because I think they just throw them away, anyway.When the world comes to an end, I'm gonna have a lot of guitar picks when nobody else will!

https://www.premierguitar.com/artists/jimmie-vaughan-emperor-of-tone
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I like Tortex - typically yellow .73 or blue 1.0 - but I just bought some Fender Extra Heavy picks and like them for certain things.

Link Posted: 8/12/2023 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Ajek:
I like Tortex - typically yellow .73 or blue 1.0 - but I just bought some Fender Extra Heavy picks and like them for certain things.

https://i.postimg.cc/fWHH3ztk/fender-wavelength-351-guitar-picks-extra-heavy-black-626a5c89-da50-45a5-967a-2a3ea5ff30bb-800x.jpg
View Quote

I have never even seen some the picks ya'll use, even these from Fender, huh.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ajek:

https://i.postimg.cc/fWHH3ztk/fender-wavelength-351-guitar-picks-extra-heavy-black-626a5c89-da50-45a5-967a-2a3ea5ff30bb-800x.jpg

I read that Angus Young prefers the precursor to these Fenders (the type he likes aren't made anymore), so I thought I'd try them out. I like them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:06:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BTccw] [#33]
Attachment Attached File

Snapped a pic of what was in my pick bowl.

Since the last pick thread a couple of years ago I’ve been gravitating toward stiffer picks as my playing has improved and I want or need more volume.

I play with the rounded edges and not the points these days.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#34]
This is all I buy anymore

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:22:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SixSquared] [#35]
Have used plenty of Tortex over the years, usually yellow, green, or blue.

But last couple years been using the Cool Juratex, in heavy IIRC.

Link Posted: 8/17/2023 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By hellishhorses:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139172/image_jpg-2909054.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139172/image_jpg-2909055.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139172/image_jpg-2909056.JPG

View Quote

This!  Tried damn near everything Dava are the best I've seen.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Orange Tortex (.60mm) for both guitar and bass.

It's all punk rock and I don't really care or want to play anything else.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I like the Donlop Nylon .46

It is indestructible and all I have anymore
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#39]
five watt world on Youtube just did a livestream on this LOL.

Not sure if it is still available I happened upon it while taking a break at the shop.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

Favorite for years.  I've tried to like smaller picks, but these have spoiled me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#41]
I like Ultex Sharp 1.14mm for both guitar and bass, sometimes scored with a utility knife.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#42]
A troubling new development in my guitar playing has me wondering about a solution.

My pics (most of them Tortex smooth) now want to slip out of my fingers when I’m performing. It doesn’t seem to be a problem at home…

Wife suggests glycerin… I’m trying silicone to add “stick” to my fingers.

Is there such a product as “sticky fingers” for guitarists?  

I typically play with the pick “sideways”-not with the point…
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Fender Mediums, I used to like thins.  I couldn't ever stand heavy picks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By BTccw:
A troubling new development in my guitar playing has me wondering about a solution.

My pics (most of them Tortex smooth) now want to slip out of my fingers when I'm performing. It doesn't seem to be a problem at home

Wife suggests glycerin  I'm trying silicone to add "stick" to my fingers.

Is there such a product as "sticky fingers" for guitarists?  

I typically play with the pick "sideways"-not with the point
View Quote
What thickness tortex?

I find the heavier ones easier to hold on too,  even the Itty bitty jazz III.

The grip on Snarling Dogs Brain Picks is nice, but they are nylon.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#45]

My pics (most of them Tortex smooth) now want to slip out of my fingers when I’m performing. It doesn’t seem to be a problem at home…

View Quote

Picker's Grip

Gorilla Snot

Drill holes in the grip area or adhesive stick-on such as skateboard tape or stippling of some sort as in post #18 above by RickFinsta.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:55:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larkinmusic] [#47]
I've used these for as long as I can remember. Maybe 25 years?  I'm thinking about trying a Graphite pick.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:07:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Jim Dunlop Max-Grip® Nylon Standard, Carbon, 1.14mm, 12/Player's Pack

https://a.co/d/gIbVrk7
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Kazual:

Picker's Grip

Gorilla Snot

Drill holes in the grip area or adhesive stick-on such as skateboard tape or stippling of some sort as in post #18 above by RickFinsta.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kazual:

Picker's Grip

Gorilla Snot

Perfect. Thank you.

The fastest flat picker on the planet uses skateboard tape on his picks.

Dennis Agajanian.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#50]
I just had to remove some 3M Safety-Walk tape from my pistol bc it was too aggressive.  Try that stuff .  I've always cross hatched my Tortex picks with a utility knife to get a little more grip but as posted above I'm trying out the Ibanez Sand Grip pics and I really like them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Guitar Pick Thread (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top