BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Guitar Pick Thread (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:02:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: my65pan] [#1]
A friend gave me a handful of these a few years ago, I really like them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm trying out a few Jazz III style picks and I'm thinking I'm gonna stick with the JD black ones with my stippling job.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#3]
For years it was only the green turtles, but recently I decided I liked the textured picks and switched to Jazz III and really like them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
I'm trying out a few Jazz III style picks and I'm thinking I'm gonna stick with the JD black ones with my stippling job.
View Quote

@RickFinsta, would you share a picture of your stippling job and what material stipples best?
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 8:43:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: splitbolt] [#5]
Originally Posted By splitbolt:
Dunlop Primetone standard(.88)
View Quote

I think I just made the switch to TUSQ standard .88(bright & warm).
Got some Flow standard  .88s that I'm liking too.

This thread made me go out and try some new stuff.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Instructor in the day said use a heavy pick for better control. So

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Lately been buying the M/H variety packs of Dunlop, it's amazing how new shapes, thicknesses, and textures can affect playing style and sound.

If I had to just pick one or two, it's be the .88 Tortex (green) or Jazz III for electric and acoustic.

These are nice too:

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Alembic:
Lately been buying the M/H variety packs of Dunlop, it's amazing how new shapes, thicknesses, and textures can affect playing style and sound.

If I had to just pick one or two, it's be the .88 Tortex (green) or Jazz III for electric and acoustic.

These are nice too:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/21UxCdgMRKL._AC_.jpg

View Quote

.88 Tortex seems to be the go-to for a quite a few of us... It's what I used the past 20 years.

After having used Primetone, Flex and TUSQ picks...I'll never go back to Tortex.
At this time, TUSQ has the edge.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#10]

.88 Tortex seems to be the go-to for a quite a few of us... It's what I used the past 20 years.

After having used Primetone, Flex and TUSQ picks...I'll never go back to Tortex.
At this time, TUSQ has the edge.
View Quote

I do keep going back to 1mm and 1.14mm Tortex but lately trying the 2.0mm variety for chugging.  I just can't get good attack for leads with a pick that thick.  Somehow I never tried the .88. hmm.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Decided to try something new. Dunlop Adamas Graphite 2mm.  These have a really soft attack that I like.   Really changes the sound of my 00015m. I recently started using Martin monel retro strings on this guitar and these picks may be a little too soft with these strings.  Haven't yet tried them with an electric.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Got a little bit of everything here.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to make guitar picks. Here are a few I made along with some other stuff I did.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/8/2023 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 11:34:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cgrant26] [#17]
View Quote

Purple Jazz III are what I'm currently using. Tried a variety of different Tortex pick shapes and the Jazz III kind of stuck as the best all-around shape for me.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 12:05:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DM1975:
I used to make guitar picks. Here are a few I made along with some other stuff I did.

Schnipple pixels
View Quote

That is some serious artwork
Thanx for posting them
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Dude...
Just read your interview...

God bless you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

?
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#20]
90% of my picks are metal.
Stainless, copper, & brass.
The brass ones are probably my favorite but stainless is the ones I have the most of.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#21]
0:20-1:10

On the Road with NDV: Paul Gilbert’s Mr. Big Road Rig

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I generally play Dunlop Flow .73. I've recently tried their  Gator Grip as well, looking for better grip.

Well, my MIL, being a Sharktank addict saw these and bought me some for my birthday https://www.tikpik.com/

I actually don't hate them. I wouldn't stick them to my guitars but they grip well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey...you guys should try these.
https://www.styluspick.com/
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:37:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RickFinsta] [#24]
Okay so to follow up I'm actually really liking the Dunlop JazzIII Max-Grip.  The issue I get with my own stippling is that it is too aggressive until it gets worn in a bit, and sometimes I have to shave the stippling back down with a razor blade or hit it on some sandpaper to cut down the edges.  These are pretty much ready out of the box but I can tell I'm going to need to replace them more often.  When I get sweating pretty good I may need to keep one or two of my old stippled picks on the mic stand for shows but not having to break out the soldering iron is a huge plus.

Also pictured are the Fender Mediums I use for playing acoustic.

EDIT oops forgot pic.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Liaztraht:
This is all I buy anymore

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504436/1000033103_jpg-2921010.JPG
View Quote

TIII 1.35 for the win.  Best pick I've ever played in my life.  After discovering them several years ago, I left behind all other picks for electric guitar.  Best tone, best feel, and they last forever.  There Can Be Only One.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Just found out Dunlop sells a pedal made for that brainless faggot Tom Morello with a quote supporting communism and genocide.

What is out there that is a similar shape and size, maybe a bit more rounded in the tip, and not made by evil communist cunts?

I'll be using the D'Addario Black Ice for now; I'll try to apply my stippling.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine are almost all turtles with green being the most prevalent color.

I've got picks from Tony Iommi, Eric Clapton and Gene Simmons. No pictures at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Just found out Dunlop sells a pedal made for that brainless faggot Tom Morello with a quote supporting communism and genocide.

What is out there that is a similar shape and size, maybe a bit more rounded in the tip, and not made by evil communist cunts?

I'll be using the D'Addario Black Ice for now; I'll try to apply my stippling.
View Quote

So yes Tom Morello is a communist piece of shit, agreed, but do you mean pick instead of pedal? Post a pic of it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:41:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#29]
It's a cry baby (the pedal that is).

Not sure I see that as a Benchmade type deal breaker for buying Dunlop products if it is just marketing to them.

They seem to support a very broad range of artists and I don't see any woke theme to it beyond the fact that is a trend among popular musicians themselves. They have no political statements of their own on their website or anything like that either.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/artists/
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 2:13:01 AM EDT
[#30]
So you’re asking (in two different profiles) what pedal has the same shape and attack??? Sorry but I guess I’m just not getting what you’re asking.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#31]
@RickFinsta I found this compilation of Jazz shaped picks.

Jazz Pick Roundup
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks I'll take a look.  The D'Addarios are warping when I stipple them so they might not work.  I do like the slightly rounded tip shape, though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 7:50:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#33]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
It's a cry baby (the pedal that is).

Not sure I see that as a Benchmade type deal breaker for buying Dunlop products if it is just marketing to them.

They seem to support a very broad range of artists and I don't see any woke theme to it beyond the fact that is a trend among popular musicians themselves. They have no political statements of their own on their website or anything like that either.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/artists/
View Quote

Especially considering the type of the pedal.  LOL
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Mach:

Especially considering the type of the pedal.  LOL
View Quote
Hey Tom, you're such a cry baby we made a pedal with your name on it
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Careful now...he was 'born a weapon'.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

I wish Ozzy’s Boneyard would shitcan that fucker.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 1:14:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#37]
Fender medium cause I've used them forever and normally when I go into a guitar store it's easy to walk out with one or two if you had been looking at guitars
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:19:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: splitbolt] [#38]
Originally Posted By Czechers:

?
View All Quotes

The clues are there...
No direct links; I won't violate someone's PERSEC outright.

ETA:
I will say, I am glad to 'know' a little more about @DM1975, through the aforementioned interview. He is a good soul.

He just needs to be a little more careful with his engraving tools.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:25:13 AM EDT
[#39]

The clues are there...

ETA:
I will say, I am glad to 'know' a little more about @DM1975, through the aforementioned interview. He is a good soul.

View All Quotes

The clues are there...

ETA:

You can post it. I barely even remember doing it other than I was kinda cheesy in it. Honestly I wish I could still do the engraving but my eyesight and hand tremors have gotten so bad. That and right after that interview I went through a bad divorce after 17 years of marriage and it totally wrecked me. I mean bad. But maybe someday I’ll get back on it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 4:10:49 AM EDT
[#40]
These are what I use now. Medium sized. The mediums are damn heavy too. They’re made of Juratex and like I said the Mediums are stiff as a board.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#41]

You can post it. I barely even remember doing it other than I was kinda cheesy in it. Honestly I wish I could still do the engraving but my eyesight and hand tremors have gotten so bad. That and right after that interview I went through a bad divorce after 17 years of marriage and it totally wrecked me. I mean bad. But maybe someday I’ll get back on it.
View All Quotes

The clues are there...

ETA:

https://indiefferential.com/a-veteran-marine-making-artistic-picks-from-coins/
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I discovered these guys the other day.

Attachment Attached File

https://bluechippick.net/
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#43]
I used these bumblebee finger picks for a while.  Just a finger holder for a pick basically.

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:31:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Blue tortex III. 1.0mm with the sharp end.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I’ve been using .73 Dunlop picks lately. I have a textured one I don’t care for right now, need to go get more of the smooth ones.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#46]
I tried something different the other day- I drilled a rough hole in one of my Dunlops. It really helps with the grip.

Thin Dunlops will split sometimes so don’t try this with your only pick.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#47]
For the guys who have a grip 'problem'...
Is the pick flying out of your hand or just getting tweaked out of position?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#48]
For the guys who have a grip 'problem'...
Is the pick flying out of your hand or just getting tweaked out of position?
View Quote

tweaked out of position for me, however I feel I've gotten better with my pick grip (after some videos and reading on the subject) and pick manipulation and have started to notice contact with the "upper" part of the pick around the fingertip joint of my index finger? Getting pick deeper in my grip (less pick out past thumb/finger) picking the string.  Sometimes repositioning my grip on the pick in-between notes/strums.  I've also experimented with pick angle to the strings; before my more recent study to the matter I had assumed the pick would be flat to the string.  Hmm, wonder why I struggled to pick with any speed.  I may be up to water turtle speed now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Guitar Pick Thread (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top