Just bought one.
Thanks anyways
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Liaztraht:
Do you use the switched eq at all?
View Quote

I actually can't imagine anyone ever switching out the EQ on a Mark Series.  I think it is pants on head retarded that they put EQ on the switch instead of the loop for a Mk.  Mesa always figures it out in the end; look at how they have had to do the + versions of like a dozen of their amps when nobody liked them without EQ.  Same reason I am selling my TA30; it is unusable at high gain without an EQ in the effects loop.

The issue is there is just so much harmonic content there that it loses its articulation when you pump the mids.  I'm a legato-heavy player so I need all the help I can get keeping the notes separate.  For sure it will work as a "solo" button in a pinch, but...

I don't do pedalboards, I've always just had the amp footswitch at my feet and don't use effects live.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:

I actually can't imagine anyone ever switching out the EQ on a Mark Series.  I think it is pants on head retarded that they put EQ on the switch instead of the loop for a Mk.  Mesa always figures it out in the end; look at how they have had to do the + versions of like a dozen of their amps when nobody liked them without EQ.  Same reason I am selling my TA30; it is unusable at high gain without an EQ in the effects loop.

The issue is there is just so much harmonic content there that it loses its articulation when you pump the mids.  I'm a legato-heavy player so I need all the help I can get keeping the notes separate.  For sure it will work as a "solo" button in a pinch, but...

I don't do pedalboards, I've always just had the amp footswitch at my feet and don't use effects live.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Do you use the switched eq at all?

Understandable.

I'm the exact opposite on how I run amps. I almost always have an OD on to tighten my low end, plus options for verb and delay, sometimes chorus or wah. I'll throw in fuzz or dirt boxes when I play through my marshall because it's only dirty when it's loud.

The only time I don't bother with a pedalboard is when playing doom with my Orange CR120H. Crank the gain, use the two button switch for built in verb and clean/dirty

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Now you have me thinking that my legato phrasing is also why I never have the reverb on an amp turned up past one or two on the dial.  Anything more sounds slushy to me.

I like that shit tight and dry...
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mamasboy:
I want a Tremolo Pedal cheap.
Anybody got one?
View Quote

The Trelicopter sold on Amazon under a bunch of brands (Moorer being the most reputable) is a good tremelo.  Just like the pedal that the circuit is copied from (Demeter), it requires a buffered pedal in the chain before it.  Otherwise, there will be an audible clicking.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:07:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#9]
Now you have me thinking that my legato phrasing is also why I never have the reverb on an amp turned up past one or two on the dial.  Anything more sounds slushy to me.

I like that shit tight and dry...
View Quote
That's how I like my metal rhythm. Hence an always on overdrive. Boss SD1, gain down and volume up, roll amp gain back a hair.

If you need some ambience, a delay works better than verb in my experience. Keep the mix lower than unity and you get no slush but some nice texture. But that involves a pedal

It also works great on tremolo picked riffs.

Verb will bury you in the mix.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#10]
That's how I like my metal rhythm. Hence an always on overdrive. Boss SD1, gain down and volume up, roll amp gain back a hair.

If you need some ambience, a delay works better than verb in my experience. Keep the mix lower than unity and you get no slush but some nice texture. But that involves a pedal

It also works great on tremolo picked riffs.

Verb will bury you in the mix.
View Quote

I mean I do have a DD-5 or DD-8 laying around somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#11]

I spy a 70's case!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Yummy  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:

Yummy  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:

Yummy  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#14]
What does everyone think of PRS guitars? I got hands on with a PRS Silver Sky SE, the John Mayer guitar, and man did I like that thing. I don’t know how to feel about those plastic tuners, but everything else about it was very much to my liking. It’s even already set up with the floating bridge hardtailed, which is how I like it. But I don’t really know much about PRS.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Antero:
What does everyone think of PRS guitars? I got hands on with a PRS Silver Sky SE, the John Mayer guitar, and man did I like that thing. I don't know how to feel about those plastic tuners, but everything else about it was very much to my liking. It's even already set up with the floating bridge hardtailed, which is how I like it. But I don't really know much about PRS.
View Quote
Well, they make a better LP at a better price than Gibson from what I hear. But that's not hard to do

I don't own any, but the few I've tried in store were nice. Fantastic in fact! Just not my taste after picking up my Soloist. I'll probably buy one someday though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, they make a better LP at a better price than Gibson from what I hear. But that's not hard to do

I don't own any, but the few I've tried in store were nice. Fantastic in fact! Just not my taste after picking up my Soloist. I'll probably buy one someday though.
View All Quotes
What does everyone think of PRS guitars? I got hands on with a PRS Silver Sky SE, the John Mayer guitar, and man did I like that thing. I don't know how to feel about those plastic tuners, but everything else about it was very much to my liking. It's even already set up with the floating bridge hardtailed, which is how I like it. But I don't really know much about PRS.

They make great guitars. I haven't ever played an SE, but most people say they're great for the price. The USA Core models are outstanding in every way though.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#18]
What does everyone think of PRS guitars? I got hands on with a PRS Silver Sky SE, the John Mayer guitar, and man did I like that thing. I don’t know how to feel about those plastic tuners, but everything else about it was very much to my liking. It’s even already set up with the floating bridge hardtailed, which is how I like it. But I don’t really know much about PRS.
View Quote

If I hadn't discovered Ron Thorn custom guitars I'd still have 10 PRS American made guitars.  They have a super build quality and produce better guitars than any other volume manufacturer IMO.  Customer service is also top notch.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:36:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#21]
cheap recording of a PRS

he's still playing it 15 years later

IIRC Kenny was playing one of the amps he'd built from online plans.

'Cause We've Ended as Lovers
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
Not trying to be uppity, but yeah, IMHO the core line are the only true PRSs.
View Quote

No doubt the PRS made in USA are excellent instruments and better than their Korean imports.  But for a guy who wants a great playing and sounding guitar for a lot less the Koreans are pretty darn good.  They just aren't "collectable".  I am blessed to own 9 Ron Thorn custom guitars and sold all my PRS.  If I had never found him I'd have kept the PRS for certain.

But if I was a normal guy who liked playing guitar and funds were an issue as they are for most of us I would be happy owning a PRS SE for a player.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#23]
I have an older (Korean) PRS SE 245 and it is excellent.  Quality-wise, I'd rate it higher than my two Gibson's, but both are Juniors so they are supposed to be 'low-end".
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I recall wanting a PRS back when I was in college - they were relatively new to the scene around the turn of the century.  They always seemed well built and they were very pretty but I just never ended up buying one.

You wouldn't know from my current stable but I started out a Strat guy and the PRS seemed to be a nice halfway between that and a single cutaway like a LP.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By mamasboy:
I want a Tremolo Pedal cheap.
Anybody got one?
View Quote

I've been using the original Nux Mod Core Deluxe which has nice stereo rotary, vibe and tremolo.  The MkII they just released has no rotary  or Tremolo . Anyway, if you can find a nice used MKI they are great. Multiple modes for all the modulation as well. Did SXS compare with NUX's MG-30 modeler and the mods are better than what's in the MG-30, richer to my ears.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:27:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: splitbolt] [#26]
View Quote
I have four PRS SEs...
The only complaints I'm hearing about the Silver Sky SEs, is fret sprout on the maple fingerboards. Other than that, if I want a Strat, I'm buying a Strat or building myself one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:39:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Label] [#27]

View Quote

Have owned five PRS' (including a Tremonti) and who knows how many LPs over the past 40 years. PRS' are awesome guitars, but LPs are their own thing. I currently own no PRS', but have 5 LPs at the moment. Used to be with Gibsons that you HAD to play a lot to find the good/great ones. But that's not really the case anymore. Sure, some are better than others. But the post-Henry era has been a good one for Gibson.

And if you want to experience the best mahogany single-cut instruments out there, the Tom Murphey aged Les Paul's are freakin' OUTSTANDING. I've never experienced guitars that amazing... and I've owned a bunch of high end guitars like Tom Anderson, Suhr, Friedman, PRS, ESP Japan, Schecter USA Custom Shop, Jackson USA, etc etc.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Red_Label:

Have owned five PRS' (including a Tremonti) and who knows how many LPs over the past 40 years. PRS' are awesome guitars, but LPs are their own thing. I currently own no PRS', but have 5 LPs at the moment. Used to be with Gibsons that you HAD to play a lot to find the good/great ones. But that's not really the case anymore. Sure, some are better than others. But the post-Henry era has been a good one for Gibson.

And if you want to experience the best mahogany single-cut instruments out there, the Tom Murphey aged Les Paul's are freakin' OUTSTANDING. I've never experienced guitars that amazing... and I've owned a bunch of high end guitars like Tom Anderson, Suhr, Friedman, PRS, ESP Japan, Schecter USA Custom Shop, Jackson USA, etc etc.
View Quote

The Tom Murphy guitars are amazing.  Only one problem with them.

They have become REALLY expensive.  

https://reverb.com/item/72243203-1999-gibson-custom-shop-1959-les-paul-40th-anniversary-tom-murphy-painted-and-aged
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd take an off-the-shelf Heritage over a Murphy any day of the week.  I really don't understand this retarded "faux aging" fad amongst boomers with more money than chops.

Just go buy a guitar and play it until it looks beaten up.  It only take a few years of practice, rehearsals, and gigging.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd take an off-the-shelf Heritage over a Murphy any day of the week.  I really don't understand this retarded "faux aging" fad amongst boomers with more money than chops.

Just go buy a guitar and play it until it looks beaten up.  It only take a few years of practice, rehearsals, and gigging.
View Quote

I am no fan of relics but Tom Murphy does a bit more than just aging them.  But to each their own.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Granny showed up with this at a friend of mine's shop.

Literally from under the bed

'64

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#32]
From my closet
Needs rewired., hence missing pots
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jimmybcool:

I am no fan of relics but Tom Murphy does a bit more than just aging them.  But to each their own.

View Quote

Enlighten me.  Other than being a manager in a corporate guitar production environment and hitting a silly little basket of key against guitars, what has he done for luthiery that is groundbreaking?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Enlighten me.  Other than being a manager in a corporate guitar production environment and hitting a silly little basket of key against guitars, what has he done for luthiery that is groundbreaking?
View Quote

It's a higher level of fit, finish, attention to wood selection, etc.  What one expects from a custom made instrument.  You don't have to think any of that matters and that's fair enough.  Some people do.

For myself I don't like LPs.  Closest I have is a Ron Thorn single cut similar in body thickness, pickups, etc.  Not even crazy about that and there is nothing wrong with it.  Just not a LP guy.

I am also not a relic fan.  I love higher end Fender strats and teles.  Problem is they relic too many of them.  Just make it and sell it and I'm on board.  My only Fender is a Custom Shop strat.  No relic.  Changed the pickups to the 69 custom shop set and now I am happy.  That is my go to other than Thorn Artisans.  

Pictures of my Thorn LP alike, Fender Strat and Thorn Artisan.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:01:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Label] [#35]

View Quote

Lordy, I dunno what to say. I've owned a couple Heritage and A/B'd their expensive custom shop LPs with a litteral pallet full of Murpheys  (my buddy goes to Gibson Nashville and picks them out for his stores, and sometimes there are enough they arrive on a pallet).

One of my Heritage LPs (H150) was aged. But I don't give a shit about aging. Not all Murpheys are heavily or moderately aged. Some are lightly aged where you can hardly tell.

Whatever kind of mojo Tom puts in his guitars, they are special. I've owned more than a hundred guitars and not even the best sounded/responded quite like a Murphey. The bigness of tone and excellent sustain, while maintaining note articulation/separation made me feel like Moses coming off Mt Sanai with grey hair and the 10 Commandments in the movie of the same name. It was almost like a religious experience. I've owned multiple excellent Gibson LP Heritage Custom Shop 60s Reissues that were very light and resonate. But they were no Murpheys.

If you can relegate Murpheys to simply being overpriced, relic'd LPs that offer nothing above off-the-rack guitars, that tells me that you haven't played them, or your ear for tone isn't developed. All of my buddies who like me, have owned and played many guitars above the $5K (and even more of them under $5K)... feel the same about the Murphey LPs. They are special, and it has nothing to do with dings and scratches. The store owner has A/B'd them with actual 1959 and 1960 Gibson bursts. He says that the Murpheys nail the tone and vibe of those holy grail instruments.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#36]
How am I just finding this thread?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:18:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DeepSky] [#37]
I got this guitar over Christmas last year.  BFR JP15
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By DeepSky:
I got this guitar over Christmas last year.  BFR JP6
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10861/IMG_2225_jpeg-3195338.JPG
View Quote

Music Man guitars are excellent. I had a JP6 in brown sunburst with piezzo, and a Steve Morse Y2D in purple sunburst. I really miss the latter. It was stunning and a shred machine. I ended-up with one of those because of Bonamassa's performance of "Mountain Time" on the Live At The Beacon Theater DVD.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Faux Ten Stack

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:10:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThaFuq] [#40]
Couldn’t pass up this CS.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:49:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Red_Label:

Lordy, I dunno what to say. I've owned a couple Heritage and A/B'd their expensive custom shop LPs with a litteral pallet full of Murpheys  (my buddy goes to Gibson Nashville and picks them out for his stores, and sometimes there are enough they arrive on a pallet).

One of my Heritage LPs (H150) was aged. But I don't give a shit about aging. Not all Murpheys are heavily or moderately aged. Some are lightly aged where you can hardly tell.

Whatever kind of mojo Tom puts in his guitars, they are special. I've owned more than a hundred guitars and not even the best sounded/responded quite like a Murphey. The bigness of tone and excellent sustain, while maintaining note articulation/separation made me feel like Moses coming off Mt Sanai with grey hair and the 10 Commandments in the movie of the same name. It was almost like a religious experience. I've owned multiple excellent Gibson LP Heritage Custom Shop 60s Reissues that were very light and resonate. But they were no Murpheys.

If you can relegate Murpheys to simply being overpriced, relic'd LPs that offer nothing above off-the-rack guitars, that tells me that you haven't played them, or your ear for tone isn't developed. All of my buddies who like me, have owned and played many guitars above the $5K (and even more of them under $5K)... feel the same about the Murphey LPs. They are special, and it has nothing to do with dings and scratches. The store owner has A/B'd them with actual 1959 and 1960 Gibson bursts. He says that the Murpheys nail the tone and vibe of those holy grail instruments.
View Quote

LOL sure kid now do the test double blind.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Four guitars a bass and a banjo.  I'm not effected.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By ThaFuq:
Couldn't pass up this CS.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/423578/IMG_0917_jpeg-3195395.JPG
View Quote
That's freakin' sweet. What year?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#44]
memorial display after our lead player was killed by a drunk driver in Woodland Hills, Ca

Robb Lawrence was cohost of the show

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Wanted something different, got this:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:23:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#46]
As a late birthday present, thanks to USPS, some of my GAS has been relieved; courtesy of the wife.

New wah!

Attachment Attached File

Rearranging the pedalboard was a bitch though. Had to ditch the Rat to make room.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#47]

Cool!   Son of Silvertone
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
That's freakin' sweet. What year?
View Quote

‘23.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#49]

\I like.  Is that a full length bass?

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#50]
As a late birthday present, thanks to USPS, some of my GAS has been relieved; courtesy of the wife.

New wah!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504436/20240425_183039_jpg-3198080.JPG

Rearranging the pedalboard was a bitch though. Had to ditch the Rat to make room.
View Quote

When my son 1st started playing bass I got him a Cliff Burton Morley Fuzz Wah.  I use it a lot now, they're built like tanks and very unique.  The Cliffy one has an odd wah curve. Yours have that, where most of the range in within a 3rd of the pedal?
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top