Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:

I put an order in at the Chicago Music Exchange for the last Alex Lifeson viceroy brown Epi model, and waited two years before asking for a refund. The entire time they assured me it was on order, and that Gibson hadn't canceled the requisition order.

When I heard this one was announced, I jumped on it, even though it's $400 more. Inflation and the addition of a hard case I guess. I'm a Rush fanatic. I have an Epi LP Standard Pro plus top that is really really nice. I also have an Epi Masterbilt EF-500R acoustic that is just outstanding. I think for a decade, the Chinese guitars have been very good.

I used to own four Gibsons, Two Les Pauls, an SG, and an LP Jr. I sold them all and regret it now. Since I don't play much anymore, I can't justify that kind of hardware sitting around collecting dust. Even if this one ends up being a wall hanger, it will still bring me joy.
View Quote

What is this model?  I thought it was the Access Lifeson model just based on features.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]

I put an order in at the Chicago Music Exchange for the last Alex Lifeson viceroy brown Epi model, and waited two years before asking for a refund. The entire time they assured me it was on order, and that Gibson hadn't canceled the requisition order.

When I heard this one was announced, I jumped on it, even though it's $400 more. Inflation and the addition of a hard case I guess. I'm a Rush fanatic. I have an Epi LP Standard Pro plus top that is really really nice. I also have an Epi Masterbilt EF-500R acoustic that is just outstanding. I think for a decade, the Chinese guitars have been very good.

I used to own four Gibsons, Two Les Pauls, an SG, and an LP Jr. I sold them all and regret it now. Since I don't play much anymore, I can't justify that kind of hardware sitting around collecting dust. Even if this one ends up being a wall hanger, it will still bring me joy.
View Quote

Yeah back to my commentary on Reverb being a garbage company that no one should give money to; they are the same company as Chicago Music Exchange.  Garbage humans.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:42:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rugerlvr] [#3]
Originally Posted By Czechers:

What is this model?  I thought it was the Access Lifeson model just based on features.
View Quote

The one I posted above? Yes, it's a brand new Lifeson Axcess. It doesn't have the Peizo of the previous version, but has a Floyd Rose instead of a Graphtec, and it has the deluxe neck and headstock inlays. It has a AAAA quilt top. :) It's real purty.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:

Yeah back to my commentary on Reverb being a garbage company that no one should give money to; they are the same company as Chicago Music Exchange.  Garbage humans.
View Quote

Other than them telling me they were still expecting a shipment of the guitars from Gibson 2 years in, they were always very responsive when I asked about it, and gave me a refund when I asked, and I ordered the new Lifeson model from them, and they shipped it same day, and it came in 2 business days.

My experience with their people was positive. /shrug
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
One of you guys need to buy my cherry burst

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dark_light:
35 and counting. Some are 5 figures. Most are not.
Make room. You'll need it.
View Quote
Good Lord, my wife would divorce me for that number.  I'm one shy of 10.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ArmedKulak:

Wood like to know more. What's with the Danelectro '59 lookin guitar?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I started with a Danelectro 12 string and made a body out of Birds eye maple.
Also the neck is built in and it has great sustain.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 5:33:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#11]
Originally Posted By jimmybcool:

I was gonna say you don't NEED a guitar and then I realized - WTF?  Of course you do.  

There are big tonal differences between the brands you mention and that is a personal choice.  One option is the R Taylor  version of Taylors.  This was the custom shop equivalent for Taylor for a while.  For some odd reason they didn't catch fire.  Not for lack of quality.

And I just looked on Reverb.com and the prices there are absurd.,  They were way underpriced last I checked.

I have 2 of them.  One Style 1 and one style 2.  Love them.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sywagon:
Need a medium high end acoustic soon - Taylor, Breedlove, Larrivee, Martin or ??

I was gonna say you don't NEED a guitar and then I realized - WTF?  Of course you do.  

There are big tonal differences between the brands you mention and that is a personal choice.  One option is the R Taylor  version of Taylors.  This was the custom shop equivalent for Taylor for a while.  For some odd reason they didn't catch fire.  Not for lack of quality.

And I just looked on Reverb.com and the prices there are absurd.,  They were way underpriced last I checked.

I have 2 of them.  One Style 1 and one style 2.  Love them.

Thanks - I took a quick a look. Price isn't out of reach for some. Ultimately I'll need to travel somewhere I can check some of them out as we are pretty remote relative to that. Of them I only have experience with Martins. I wonder if R taylor is somewhat analogous to their current "Builder's Editions"?
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 74HC:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 74HC:
Originally Posted By dark_light:
35 and counting. Some are 5 figures. Most are not.
Make room. You'll need it.

One shy of a divorce is the right number.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice score navyvet!

Too many cool guitars that Ive owned and had to sell, same with amps over the years. Gibson Explorer with Duncans and my former Tremoverb half stack absolutely my fav combo. Through it all, Ive kept my first guitar my mom and uncle bought for me: a 95 Fender American standard Strat.

Time to pick up my Strat again. I finally put a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge a few years ago, but then 2 babies put really playing on hold. That thing ha s ridiculously high output. Neck pickup sounds nice and clean as a Strat should, but switch to the hot rails and the damn thing overdrives itself on the same clean channel lol.

Decided to kick the tires on a better amp. My old Fender Champion 110 still sounds terrible lol. Found a Crate GX-212 locally for cheap. Had one years ago.Cleans are a little stale but absolutely crushes it with a solid pedal. Got a Waza Craft metalzone so Im hoping for some killer death and thrash tones with the Hot Rails.

If I play regularly, I may try to find a cheap Super Strat to keep for some A or C tuning, with the Fender kept at E flat.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Lexustech48:
Nice score navyvet!

Too many cool guitars that Ive owned and had to sell, same with amps over the years. Gibson Explorer with Duncans and my former Tremoverb half stack absolutely my fav combo. Through it all, Ive kept my first guitar my mom and uncle bought for me: a 95 Fender American standard Strat.

Time to pick up my Strat again. I finally put a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge a few years ago, but then 2 babies put really playing on hold. That thing ha s ridiculously high output. Neck pickup sounds nice and clean as a Strat should, but switch to the hot rails and the damn thing overdrives itself on the same clean channel lol.

Decided to kick the tires on a better amp. My old Fender Champion 110 still sounds terrible lol. Found a Crate GX-212 locally for cheap. Had one years ago.Cleans are a little stale but absolutely crushes it with a solid pedal. Got a Waza Craft metalzone so Im hoping for some killer death and thrash tones with the Hot Rails.

If I play regularly, I may try to find a cheap Super Strat to keep for some A or C tuning, with the Fender kept at E flat.
View Quote

Thanks! It’s definitely been a pleasure to learn with so far. And yes I want another one already lol

I may go the route you did with the Strat as well. MIM though lol we have a two year old to chase around so I feel ya on the home life part.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 6:18:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Label] [#15]
Oddly enough, I bought a guitar a week ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157305/git0060295-000_GIT0060295-000-2897237.jpg
View Quote

@ Rugerlvr

I had that same guitar for a night not long ago (my buddy lets the good customers demo gear before buying). I would have kept it but I wanted the blue Friedman No Ho superstrat more and really couldn't afford both right now. Bums me out because Rush has been my favorite band since "Spirit of the Radio" first hit the airwaves. My band used to perform the whole A-side of "Moving Pictures" at various gigs in the late 80s.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks - I took a quick a look. Price isn't out of reach for some. Ultimately I'll need to travel somewhere I can check some of them out as we are pretty remote relative to that. Of them I only have experience with Martins. I wonder if R taylor is somewhat analogous to their current "Builder's Editions"?
View Quote

I think when they closed down R Taylor they started Builders Editions.  I haven't bought in a long time so i don't know if it's the same concept.  The R Taylors were built in a different building by all skilled luthiers using superior parts.  Maybe BE is the same thing.

Having owned both Martin and Taylor both their OM size versions not dreadnaughts, the difference to me was the Martins have a deeper boomier sound to them but less clarity between the strings.  Both are nice in their own way and I'm not a bigot by any means.  

If I were getting a Martin right now this is probably what I'd look at.  Note you can get them without the sunburst from $3000 and up.

https://reverb.com/item/66460794-martin-000-28ec-eric-clapton-sunburst-158?bk=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJqdGkiOiI3NzdhYTEyYy02ZjljLTQ4MDQtOTA0YS1jNTU5ZTlmMzlkN2YiLCJpYXQiOjE2OTAzMzM0MzMsInVzZXJfaWQiOiIiLCJzZXNzaW9uX2lkIjoiMTgwOTJhYmUtMDE2MS00Yjg1LWI3NDAtMzljYTI1M2ZjZGRkIiwiY29va2llX2lkIjoiMThmMWJhNjUtODE5NC00MDYyLWEwNmItMDNlMjBmOGE3Njc3IiwicHJvZHVjdF9pZCI6IjY2NDYwNzk0Iiwic291cmNlIjoiTk9ORSJ9.joWpyvkiiTwe2dRbI6qpz-7bhEy8yNxCkyCuMQoP424

Jeez that looks like gobbldegook.  Hope the link works.

If I were looking at taylors of any kind probably this I might go for the slope shoulder dread shape like this one:

https://acousticvibesmusic.com/products/taylor-327e

And as I look at my R Taylor Series 2 I realize GAS is dead in me right now.  Well, I might get another bass once I have a good idea what I like.

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#17]

I think when they closed down R Taylor they started Builders Editions.  I haven't bought in a long time so i don't know if it's the same concept.  The R Taylors were built in a different building by all skilled luthiers using superior parts.  Maybe BE is the same thing.

Having owned both Martin and Taylor both their OM size versions not dreadnaughts, the difference to me was the Martins have a deeper boomier sound to them but less clarity between the strings.  Both are nice in their own way and I'm not a bigot by any means.  

If I were getting a Martin right now this is probably what I'd look at.  Note you can get them without the sunburst from $3000 and up.

https://reverb.com/item/66460794-martin-000-28ec-eric-clapton-sunburst-158?bk=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJqdGkiOiI3NzdhYTEyYy02ZjljLTQ4MDQtOTA0YS1jNTU5ZTlmMzlkN2YiLCJpYXQiOjE2OTAzMzM0MzMsInVzZXJfaWQiOiIiLCJzZXNzaW9uX2lkIjoiMTgwOTJhYmUtMDE2MS00Yjg1LWI3NDAtMzljYTI1M2ZjZGRkIiwiY29va2llX2lkIjoiMThmMWJhNjUtODE5NC00MDYyLWEwNmItMDNlMjBmOGE3Njc3IiwicHJvZHVjdF9pZCI6IjY2NDYwNzk0Iiwic291cmNlIjoiTk9ORSJ9.joWpyvkiiTwe2dRbI6qpz-7bhEy8yNxCkyCuMQoP424

If I were looking at taylors of any kind probably this I might go for the slope shoulder dread shape like this one:

And as I look at my R Taylor Series 2 I realize GAS is dead in me right now.  Well, I might get another bass once I have a good idea what I like.

View All Quotes

Link was fine, thanks for the tips
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Lexustech48:
Nice score navyvet!

View Quote

I highly recommend the Line 6 Catalyst these days. It has 6 different amps loosely based on the popular stuff but like boutique versions.  Great with pedals and easier to just plug in and play than something like the Boss Katana.  Has an actual guitar speaker in it. Does jazz to Slayer well (ignore Glen Fricker on this one). Controls are just like a regular amp but you can still deep(er) edit with the app via USB if you choose. The optional pedal works just like a 2 channel amp FS also, channel A/B and boost. The 60w is regularly on sale at the usual places for $250. Son's band has used my 60w twice at club shows, more than loud enough with Direct Out for the PA. Its attenuated also.

LINE 6 Catalyst 60 guitar amp sound test- Lucky Music Network
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Hands:
One of you guys need to buy my cherry burst

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78042/IMG_6475_jpeg-2897601.JPG
View Quote

I’m going to say I can’t afford that at this time
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Added a Floyd to Purple Sparkle last night:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 8:03:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Czechers] [#21]

Thats the perfect use for that setup. Looks great. I also like the Lonnie Mack Bigsby on a V.

ETA:

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#22]

I have never played one of those.  Is that body shape comfortable?  Sitting?  Standing?  Looks like it would be hard to play.

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#23]

I have never played one of those.  Is that body shape comfortable?  Sitting?  Standing?  Looks like it would be hard to play.

View All Quotes

I've played guitar for 35 years and had never played a V until 4 or 5 years ago, and now it's my favorite shape.

They're light and have incredible access to the upper frets. Never neck heavy either (although my Korina V has the strap button on the back of the body instead of the upper horn/leg of the V, and it feels like you're putting on a glove.  Did that too another of my guitars toget rid of neck dive.  They are much longer than you'd think though, need to be careful going through doorways.

On that purple one, I have an EVH Wolfgang neck pickup in the bridge position, with a dummy in the neck.  Only one knob (volume) is wired up, the other 2 and the switch do nothing. I'm going to have to move the location of the working volume knob to the front position though, the new bridge blocks my access.

It breaths fire.  That powerful neck pickup in the bridge just sounds amazing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By morglan:

I've played guitar for 35 years and had never played a V until 4 or 5 years ago, and now it's my favorite shape.

They're light and have incredible access to the upper frets. Never neck heavy either (although my Korina V has the strap button on the back of the body instead of the upper horn/leg of the V, and it feels like you're putting on a glove.  Did that too another of my guitars toget rid of neck dive.  They are much longer than you'd think though, need to be careful going through doorways.

On that purple one, I have an EVH Wolfgang neck pickup in the bridge position, with a dummy in the neck.  Only one knob (volume) is wired up, the other 2 and the switch do nothing. I'm going to have to move the location of the working volume knob to the front position though, the new bridge blocks my access.

It breaths fire.  That powerful neck pickup in the bridge just sounds amazing.
View Quote

Nice.  Maybe next time I'm in a guitar shop I'll try one out.

Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:41:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Czechers] [#25]

-edit- NM, Have seen that Trem before but didn't realize they had such an ingenious locking nut.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Project in the works.
Warmoth Olympic White Strat body on order.
Have the SD Hendrix pickguard to go in it.

559A1360

559A1366

559A1364

559A1365
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Where do you get such a highly figured neck like that?  That is awesome.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Nice neck, looks quartersawn too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By azjeeper:

View All Quotes

Quartersawn Roasted Maple 3A compound radius.

Musikraft makes them. Haven't played it yet obviously, but the quality seems awesome. Warmoth body takes 4 months!!!! So I have to wait 3 more months to assemble this, arrgh..
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Need a medium high end acoustic soon - Taylor, Breedlove, Larrivee, Martin or ??
View Quote

Play a few.

I've had 4 Taylors in 23 years.  Still have 3 of them.

I recently bought my Larrivée C-05 in February (sitka/mahogany) and also just bought a Breedlove SC/Cedar EIRW a few weeks ago.

I paid $1100 and tax for the C-05 and $1070 OTD for the Breedlove.

I put Fishman Rare Earth mic-blend pickups in both of them.

My Taylor 310CE has the same pickup as well even though it came with a barndoor preamp in the side.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Builders edition and Taylor BTO are somewhat of an evolution from the R Taylor guitars.

I was really jonesing for a cedar/mahogany Style 1 with a florentine cutaway when they were being produced from 2006 forward.

A friend of mine got in touch with his Taylor rep a few months ago for me and "built" a cedar/mahog GA with a florentine cut.  No electronics.  I can't stand the ES system in any variation until Taylor takes my recommendation and adds an internal microphone to the setup.

It came out to about $3800.  V-class bracing, ebony FB and bridge, 18:1 smoked nickel tuners.  

I spoke to my sweetwater rep a couple months ago as well and asked if Larrivée could build me a C-05 with a cedar top like my sitka/mahogany guitar.  It came out to the same price within a few bucks.  The catch was they would not warranty a cracked top because they don't like cedar.

I also had a chance to run down to Nashville yesterday after performing at a dear friend's wedding (oddly enough the same guy who sold me my first AR 15 years ago).

I played an Olson SJ and a Charis SJ.  The store had them at $6500 for the Charis and $23,000 for the Olson.  The Charis was cedar/mahogany and the Olson was cedar/EIRW.

Neither were orders of magnitude better than my Breedlove or Larrivée.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By entropy:

Musikraft makes them. Haven't played it yet obviously, but the quality seems awesome. Warmoth body takes 4 months!!!! So I have to wait 3 more months to assemble this, arrgh..
View All Quotes

I have a bunch of Musikraft necks, they're all awesome.
That's a long wait on the Warmoth body. Did you consider MJT or Bloomdoom? The Stratosphere always has a nice selection too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Years ago I bought a Fender custom shop strat just because of the neck.  Had to have it.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Well this new Mesa Transatlantic 30 sure does boogie.  Guitar Center had it listed as a head but with pics and weight of a 1x12 combo, for $800.  That's like half the going rate.  Didn't have a pedal but even the tubes are in good shape.  Took a gamble with the pics not matching the description but it paid off!

The thing sounds great.  Crazy headroom clean sound (never played an AC30 but that is supposedly what it is modeled after) which would be great for the pedalboard guys.  Less than 50lbs and nice and compact for gigging, and only two push/pull pots to get messed up in transit.

The second channel has great Marshall and Boogie circuits.  It has a Fender Bassman circuit on it but I rarely do the whole "edge of breakup" thing since I don't do blues gigs anymore.  For sure needs an EQ in the effects loop to scoop the mids back out and give it a modern high gain sound for the stuff I play now (punk rock and such).

So this will gig with me so I can leave my Boogie MkIV in my studio at home.  Too many knobs, switches, and push-pull pots to double check when you pull it out of the case on stage.  Much better amp but this one is a great compromise.  I like that it is switchable 15/30/40 watt output, too.  For now it will live at my shop so I can noodle on it when I've got parts running.

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#35]
That is a great deal on  a Mesa.  I have no experience with that amp but per Reverb.com they are listed from $1300 to $2400.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Yeah that is how I got my studio monitors, too.  Guitar Center had them listed retarded cheap.

Maybe it was a buddy deal... "hey man I'll put it up for $800 tonight but you gotta buy it right away or the manager will figure it out if someone else buys it."

Or was maybe just sitting?  Who knows but I made out like a bandit.

I picked up my MkIV for like $1250 back around 2002-2003 from Dave's Guitar shop and spent about $13 to have an amp tech replace a resistor to fix the footswitch.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#37]
I've been playing for 43 years, and run the gamut of guitars and amps. We sold our house and moved into a condo 4 years ago, as I was tired of doing yard work in the Florida Summers. I whittled the collection down to 3 guitars and 2 amps. Now, 90% of my playing is either noodling on my ancient Epi acoustic on the couch, or wailing through headphones in my bedroom on my little Katana 50.

But, the itch is still there. I regretfully go to Sweetwater website and hide my credit card from myself almost daily.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Yeah that is how I got my studio monitors, too.  Guitar Center had them listed retarded cheap.

Maybe it was a buddy deal... "hey man I'll put it up for $800 tonight but you gotta buy it right away or the manager will figure it out if someone else buys it."

Or was maybe just sitting?  Who knows but I made out like a bandit.

I picked up my MkIV for like $1250 back around 2002-2003 from Dave's Guitar shop and spent about $13 to have an amp tech replace a resistor to fix the footswitch.
View Quote

Nice.  I bought my Mesa Boogie back around 2005 or ish.  Got it used.  My guitar pusher called me one day and said come to the shop today for something special.  $1500 but worth every penny.  I sold off all the old Fender blackface amps and this and a 65 Amps London are about all I kept.  But it sure is heavy.  Guess I'm getting old.

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I really do think the MkIV is the greatest guitar amplifier of all time.  Because you can run 6L6s and EL34s together or separately on the power side you can seriously get just about any tone you want out of the thing.  I've played shows for everything from Jazz to Blues to Mariachi/Bachata to Punk to Classic Rock to Metal with that thing.  The problems are complexity and weight.  That thing is beautiful.  I love that look on Mesas.

I've always made fun of guys with big pedalboards, calling them "tapdancers," and as such I've just always looked for my own sound out of whatever I'm using and not worried about copying anybody else's.  Don't get me wrong, I totally get that if you're in a big local wedding band you're gonna run a clean amp and a big ass pedalboard to try to sound as much like original recordings for the cover songs as possible because that is kinda expected.  Or if you're a studio/session guy and are expected to come up with the exact tone/style the producer/artist wants in fifteen seconds or less...

But I always hated having anything more than a channel switch and maybe a wah pedal or tuner.  It really starts to detract from the show when the guitar players are constantly looking down and interacting with their gear instead of with the audience.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#40]
I really do think the MkIV is the greatest guitar amplifier of all time.  Because you can run 6L6s and EL34s together or separately on the power side you can seriously get just about any tone you want out of the thing.  I've played shows for everything from Jazz to Blues to Mariachi/Bachata to Punk to Classic Rock to Metal with that thing.  The problems are complexity and weight.  That thing is beautiful.  I love that look on Mesas.

I've always made fun of guys with big pedalboards, calling them "tapdancers," and as such I've just always looked for my own sound out of whatever I'm using and not worried about copying anybody else's.  Don't get me wrong, I totally get that if you're in a big local wedding band you're gonna run a clean amp and a big ass pedalboard to try to sound as much like original recordings for the cover songs as possible because that is kinda expected.  Or if you're a studio/session guy and are expected to come up with the exact tone/style the producer/artist wants in fifteen seconds or less...

But I always hated having anything more than a channel switch and maybe a wah pedal or tuner.  It really starts to detract from the show when the guitar players are constantly looking down and interacting with their gear instead of with the audience.
View Quote

I confess I'm not that good at dialing in specific tones.  But I get LOTS of tones out of this Mesa that I like.  And the master volume is really good allowing me to use it at home.

I am also afraid of starting to like pedals.  I know that they are as big a collection GAS as are guitars and guns.  Thank god my other jones Golf doesn't require buying all kinds of gear.

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By M4ger:

Builders edition and Taylor BTO are somewhat of an evolution from the R Taylor guitars.

I was really jonesing for a cedar/mahogany Style 1 with a florentine cutaway when they were being produced from 2006 forward.

A friend of mine got in touch with his Taylor rep a few months ago for me and "built" a cedar/mahog GA with a florentine cut.  No electronics.  I can't stand the ES system in any variation until Taylor takes my recommendation and adds an internal microphone to the setup.

It came out to about $3800.  V-class bracing, ebony FB and bridge, 18:1 smoked nickel tuners.  

I spoke to my sweetwater rep a couple months ago as well and asked if Larriv e could build me a C-05 with a cedar top like my sitka/mahogany guitar.  It came out to the same price within a few bucks.  The catch was they would not warranty a cracked top because they don't like cedar.

I also had a chance to run down to Nashville yesterday after performing at a dear friend's wedding (oddly enough the same guy who sold me my first AR 15 years ago).

I played an Olson SJ and a Charis SJ.  The store had them at $6500 for the Charis and $23,000 for the Olson.  The Charis was cedar/mahogany and the Olson was cedar/EIRW.

Neither were orders of magnitude better than my Breedlove or Larriv e.
View All Quotes

I spoke to my sweetwater rep a couple months ago as well and asked if Larriv e could build me a C-05 with a cedar top like my sitka/mahogany guitar.  It came out to the same price within a few bucks.  The catch was they would not warranty a cracked top because they don't like cedar.

Neither were orders of magnitude better than my Breedlove or Larriv e.
@M4ger

Thanks for the insights - those sound like sweet guitars! I think I am being drawn to Breedlove most at this time. I actually have some really really nice red spruce blanks given to me by my dad and would love to get something made with those. No idea how that would possibly work - although I don't expect it would cost any less, I don't want to give them the wood and also have to pay higher for a "Custom" build because of it or something. I might have to reach out after hearing your story though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:50:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SgtThump] [#42]
Finally took a group pic today.  Just added the PRS, so I'm all excited about that guitar at the moment.  LOL

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Any chance to show off the ladies...
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Just put some new strings on my electric.  It was sounding pretty dead.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/2/2023 12:17:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Label] [#45]
Originally Posted By SgtThump:
Finally took a group pic today.  Just added the PRS, so I'm all excited about that guitar at the moment.  LOL

https://i.imgur.com/vz0qN1e.jpg
View Quote

Nice little family pic there. Cannot go wrong with an LP, PRS, or Fender into a JJ Jr. A guy would have to really suck not to get killer tones from those.

What is that Fender amp on the right? Looks like a Sweetwater FSR Princeton. I'm on my 2nd FSR Deluxe Reverb and have no plans to sell this one. I can't even remember how many hardwired clean (or dirty) amps that I've had at this point, including some world class amps from Toneking, Bad Cat, Straub and even a Friedman Buxom Betty. All were awesome, but I really dig the DR for cleans. Not that I'm all that unique in liking DR cleans.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 12:25:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By m200maker:
Wait till you start buying les Paul’s.
View Quote

Picked this R8 up last Wednesday...
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 12:40:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Chinese Firefly bug bit me last year,

Link Posted: 8/2/2023 1:21:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Got a couple guitars in pieces.  Here's everything that works.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 6:30:30 AM EDT
[#49]
2 Gibson Les Pauls (a Classic and a Standard 50s)

4 Teles (1 Fender and 3 built with Warmoth bodies/necks)

1 Strat (also Warmoth)

Another strat body and neck on order from Warmoth.  Yeah I got a system now.

Homemade 2x12 Fender blackface type amp, homemade tweed Champ copy, homemade Fender reverb unit copy, homemade talk box.

Dozens of homemade pedals.  Boss TU-2 and MXR Carbon Copy delay.

rechargeable Snark
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#50]
@M4ger

Thanks for the insights - those sound like sweet guitars! I think I am being drawn to Breedlove most at this time. I actually have some really really nice red spruce blanks given to me by my dad and would love to get something made with those. No idea how that would possibly work - although I don't expect it would cost any less, I don't want to give them the wood and also have to pay higher for a "Custom" build because of it or something. I might have to reach out after hearing your story though.
View All Quotes

I spoke to my sweetwater rep a couple months ago as well and asked if Larrivée could build me a C-05 with a cedar top like my sitka/mahogany guitar.  It came out to the same price within a few bucks.  The catch was they would not warranty a cracked top because they don't like cedar.

Neither were orders of magnitude better than my Breedlove or Larrivée.
@M4ger

@sywagon

I'm sure they would be incredible instruments if I went through with the ordering.  Both were more than a year out had I ordered them.  we just discussed details.

I don't think you'd go wrong with an American made Breedlove.  My 1995 SC/Cedar is a fantastic guitar with some character marks.

I plan on cutting a template out for it for a custom rosewood pickguard I'd like done by Capt. Bill Nichols.

It won't be a large pickguard for the body size but I expect it to have some visual appeal once installed.
Page / 20
Top Top