BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 4/5/2024 6:05:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Curmudgeon762]
So PSA has several models marked down significantly over retail price. Call that a deal alert if you will. Does anyone own one of these and what is your opinion of it? I already own a S&W 41 and a couple Rugers that have had some improvements made. Worth adding to the stable or nothing special?

Edit: I ordered a Sport
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#2]
They look tempting but I’ll stick with my Tangfolio Defiant Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

$700 with a listed retail of $1800
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BikerNut] [#4]
I thought about getting an X-Esse but didn't because I really wanted this instead.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an early one. It is reliable and acurate
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Temping.  I really don’t need another target 22 pistol.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigtex84:
Temping.  I really don’t need another target 22 pistol.
View Quote

I don’t either but are these good enough for that price I’m going to regret not getting one?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Curmudgeon762:

I don’t either but are these good enough for that price I’m going to regret not getting one?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

$650 for this variant. $1700 list price
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I want a target pistol but every time I price out match 22 I chicken out.

Originally Posted By BikerNut:
I thought about getting an X-Esse but didn't because I really wanted this instead.

https://www.krale.shop/media/catalog/product/w/a/walther_gsp_expert_1_.jpg
View Quote

I'd love a pair of those one in 32 and one in 22. I've wanted a mag forward target gun ever since I saw Point Of No Return
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

I'd love a pair of those one in 32 and one in 22. I've wanted a mag forward target gun ever since I saw Point Of No Return
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129950/Bridget_Fonda_Hammerli_Point_of_No_Retur-3179250.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129950/Point_of_No_Return_jpg-3179251.JPG
View Quote

If it was one of those I’d be dual wielding
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#12]
IIRC that is essentially the Sig Trailside (which were made by Hammerli)....I REALLLY didn't need to see that ad.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:32:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wineraner] [#13]
So PSA has several models marked down significantly over retail price. Call that a deal alert if you will. Does anyone own one of these and what is your opinion of it? I already own a S&W 41 and a couple Rugers that have had some improvements made. Worth adding to the stable or nothing special?
View Quote

You too, huh?  LOL.

Supposed to be a decent improvement over the Trailside I guess it was inspired by.  Perusing reviews at bullseye, rimfire central etc...it sounds like it should be decent.  Couldn't resist.  Even if I know in the back of my head that I'm just going to get a Feinwerkbau one of these days anyway...

I hope it shoots better than this Marvel kit.  Which isn't half bad, but needs frequent lube and evidently, brushing around the chamber area.  When it is brushed though, it likes Eley Club and Tenex...  Gives results of, "OK, I see the point of getting you."

Edit:  There are lies, damned lies, and PSA list price before discounts.  That number changes.  A lot.  The sale prices are just so gooooood though.  I need to start spam-blocking them.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#14]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129950/Bridget_Fonda_Hammerli_Point_of_No_Retur-3179250.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129950/Point_of_No_Return_jpg-3179251.JPG
View Quote

Um...don't look at Sam's prices on Eley Target or Club...  .14/round isn't that bad.  Match Target Extra is even cheaper, but after the follies of trying to get Match Target (or RWS) to cycle this =*÷>#> thing, I was like, "Eley Target is fine..."  Then I tried a string of Tenex and lol'd.  More practice needed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:37:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RealityCheck0311] [#15]
EDIT: someone beat me to it.

Always wanted a Hammerli 280 after watching the Bridget Fonda movie Point of No Return (La Femme Nikita remake)

One of the cooler looking pistols.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:44:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Curmudgeon762] [#16]
Screw it. Ordered the Sport model. Yea, I also need to flag PSA as spam
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:03:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#17]
If I were to replace my Buckmark, I would buy one of these.  

I've used one and regret not buying one when it was important to me.  It is in a totally different world than the Buckmark, not just a different class.  Your scores will go up overnight if you start using one.

Pardini SP 22LR
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Ordered a Sport, too. Adding it to the stable of target .22s

Buckmark Bullseye Target 7.25
Toz35m
Walther GSP

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
IIRC that is essentially the Sig Trailside (which were made by Hammerli)....I REALLLY didn't need to see that ad.
View Quote
Came to post this.  The Sig Hammerli Trailside is an impressively well made target pistol.  About 20 years ago the base model retailed for $450ish.  This new offering is definitely a step up in features and that discount is impressive.   If it had a threaded barrel I'd grab it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:34:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 917-30] [#20]
View Quote

I've had a Trailside for 15 years and I think you'll love the X-esse. It's likely the most accurate pistol you can get in that price range.

It also has a great factory trigger that can be made even better with aftermarket parts.

The only downside is that since Larry from Larry's Guns in Maine died support for Hammerli in the US has been weak.

Larry's Guns was purchased by Red Feather Outfitters in Ohio and they only offer parts whereas Larry provided gunsmith services too.

If you plan on adding any sort of optic, you'll probably want to get the separate scope mount because optics have to be removed to disassemble the pistol.

Using the barrel rail won't hold zero but the linked scope mount attaches to a proprietary rail on the bottom of the barrel and will hold zero.

Shown w/Sparc red dot because that's what I had handy...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Eta

Almost forgot:  never use the slide release. Instead, pull back on the slide to release it. The slide is aluminum and will eventually wear to the point of not locking back if the slide release is used enough, and new slides are over $200.

Magazines are $40 each and have been that price for quite a while.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 917-30:

I've had a Trailside for 15 years and I think you'll love the X-esse. It's likely the most accurate pistol you can get in that price range.

The only downside is that since Larry from Larry's Guns in Maine died support for Hammerli in the US has been weak.

Larry's Guns was purchased by Red Feather Outfitters in Ohio and they only offer parts whereas Larry provided gunsmith services too.

If you plan on adding any sort of optic, you'll probably want to get the separate scope mount because a scope or RMR has to be removed to disassemble the pistol.

Using the barrel rail won't hold zero but the linked scope mount attaches to a proprietary rail on the bottom of the barrel and will hold zero.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/440308/1000035241_jpg-3179389.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/440308/1000035242_jpg-3179395.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/440308/1000035244_jpg-3179399.JPG

Eta

Almost forgot:  never use the slide release. Instead, pull back on the slide to release it. The slide is aluminum and will eventually wear to the point of not locking back if the slide release is used enough, and new slides are over $200.

View Quote

Terrific information! Many thanks. That kind of mirrors what I read in the little research I did before I ordered. Sorry to hear Larry died as everyone sung his praises

Are they S&W 41 accurate? It would be nice to give mine a rest
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Noice.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:10:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scharfshutze06] [#23]
Dayum too young when the trail sides were released and those pics are making it hard to resist getting the modernized $600 version !   Plus I might be going to Germany soon for a few years… I wonder if they’d sell parts to a SOFA attached American Civvy?

Edit:
  What’s the diff between the $600 & $650 models?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

I didn’t see this one earlier l it’s $800
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Terrific information! Many thanks. That kind of mirrors what I read in the little research I did before I ordered. Sorry to hear Larry died as everyone sung his praises

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If you plan on adding any sort of optic, you'll probably want to get the separate scope mount because a scope or RMR has to be removed to disassemble the pistol.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/440308/1000035241_jpg-3179389.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/440308/1000035242_jpg-3179395.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/440308/1000035244_jpg-3179399.JPG

Eta

I've never shot a 41, but if my eyes were good enough I think the Trailside would be capable of nearly one inch groups at 100 yd. with the right match ammo.

They come with a five shot medallion shot off-hand at 25 meters.

This is what mine looks like.
Attachment Attached File

If it wasn't for the flyer, that would be a 0.25" group.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#26]

I've never shot a 41, but if my eyes were good enough I think the Trailside would be capable of nearly one inch groups at 100 yd. with the right match ammo.

They come with a five shot medallion shot off-hand at 25 meters.

This is what mine looks like.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/440308/1000035247_jpg-3179418.JPG
If it wasn't for the flyer, that would be a 0.25" group.
View Quote

I will be ecstatic if it shoots like that. Wow!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#27]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/563702/IMG_1062_jpeg-3179434.JPG

I didn’t see this one earlier l it’s $800
View Quote

There were a lot of interesting ones at PSA... As a lefty, I figured I'd be customizing a lot of it anyway, so why not start cheaper, with the reputedly really good barrel?  

Bummer about Larry, but tbf, the reviews said his services were needed more on the older versions/Trailsides.  Sounded like an interesting guy. (Hoists decade old Riesling, and hopes this pistol is an interesting as this nose)

Doubt it'll be more accurate than your 41.  Seems the issue with those is getting the Smiths to run when they wear a bit.  Shrug. Never had one.  At the price I see them, I'd just wait, save up, and buy the GSP/Sako/Pardini. Or just flex and get the FWB.  That'll be awhile.  I'm better than this elderly Ruger.  I'm not better than the Marvel, when it deigns to work.

@Phatmax , how's that Toz accuracy-wise?

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

My 41 is quite old but in excellent shape. I kind of baby it as it would be difficult (and expensive) to replace. I want it to still be in good shape when my son gets it. Pic is not mine but I have that variant. The Hämmerli will see a lot of use if it shoots well and I won’t feel bad I wear it out. I happened to stock up on match .22 a few years ago when there was a glut of it so I’m ready to burn some of it up.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:42:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: phatmax] [#29]
@wineraner

I haven't shot it much and with various ammo. More accurate than I am, for sure, but I need to baseline it from a rest with a single ammo.

Free pistol is SO much different than all other shooting I have done, that I really need to focus on just that discipline for an honest review. Just the trigger usage is a whole new realm, with it set medium, it is still more a thought that fires the gun, rather than moving the finger!

I shaped the grip myself. Glove-like fit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:

Always wanted a Hammerli 280 after watching the Bridget Fonda movie Point of No Return (La Femme Nikita remake)

https://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/d/d4/Ponr-ham2.jpg/1200px-Ponr-ham2.jpg

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-zq24lsaryh/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/39193/210686/Z54837B__97925.1673388212.jpg
View Quote

Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
If I were to replace my Buckmark, I would buy one of these.  

I've used one and regret not buying one when it was important to me.  It is in a totally different world than the Buckmark, not just a different class.  Your scores will go up overnight if you start using one.

https://www.pardiniguns.com/images/pistols/sp-500.jpg

Pardini SP 22LR
View Quote

I was just looking at these kinds of target pistols in .32/.380 a couple weeks ago. Definitely cool designs
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#32]
$1,700? Where do they get off charging that much for an Xesse normally? They've always been much cheaper accessible versions of the Hammerli 208/Walther Olympia, and it still looks evident from pictures of these. $600 is okay but it hardly seems like a good deal when Sig/Hammerli versions of this pistol sold for much less than that just a few years ago.  $1,700 is crazy!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:01:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 917-30] [#33]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

There were a lot of interesting ones at PSA... As a lefty, I figured I'd be customizing a lot of it anyway, so why not start cheaper, with the reputedly really good barrel?  

Bummer about Larry, but tbf, the reviews said his services were needed more on the older versions/Trailsides.  Sounded like an interesting guy. (Hoists decade old Riesling, and hopes this pistol is an interesting as this nose)

Doubt it'll be more accurate than your 41.  Seems the issue with those is getting the Smiths to run when they wear a bit.  Shrug. Never had one.  At the price I see them, I'd just wait, save up, and buy the GSP/Sako/Pardini. Or just flex and get the FWB.  That'll be awhile.  I'm better than this elderly Ruger.  I'm not better than the Marvel, when it deigns to work.

@Phatmax , how's that Toz accuracy-wise?

View Quote

I'm left-handed too and would go with the basic version and just add left-handed Nill grips because the higher prices of the upper versions are mainly due to upgraded grips.

The large left hand grip is $341 + shipping directly from Nill.

My Trailside came with the ambidextrous target grips so I haven't felt the need to upgrade even though the Nill grips are a far better solution.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Uberphlubb:
$1,700? Where do they get off charging that much for an Xesse normally? They've always been much cheaper accessible versions of the Hammerli 208/Walther Olympia, and it still looks evident from pictures of these. $600 is okay but it hardly seems like a good deal when Sig/Hammerli versions of this pistol sold for much less than that just a few years ago.  $1,700 is crazy!
View Quote

Prices at Champion's Choice
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#35]
$1700 seems crazy high but that seems to be MSR from what I can tell. I don’t see any vendors asking that but they are certainly well over $700. The only thing that gives me pause is deeply discounted often means a know problem with an item. The slide wear issue mentioned above is the only one I can find other than early models had issues with trigger guards breaking. That issue was supposedly resolved.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#36]
$1700 seems crazy high but that seems to be MSR from what I can tell. I don’t see any vendors asking that but they are certainly well over $700. The only thing that gives me pause is deeply discounted often means a know problem with an item. The slide wear issue mentioned above is the only one I can find other than early models had issues with trigger guards breaking. That issue was supposedly resolved.
View Quote

I don't think that any of the X-esses had the trigger guard issue. It was found and eliminated before they were released. Early Trailsides with that issue can be fixed with a small amount of filing to get the trigger guard to fully seat.

IIRC, E-esses started at $600+ when they were first introduced so PSA's sale prices are really good considering inflation.

Another difference between the target Trailside like mine and the X-esse is that the X-esse has an upgraded adjustable rear target sight. You can see the difference by comparing my photos with PSA's.

PSA's description of one of the X-esse models states that the slide is made of steel. I think they are actually aluminum unless there has been a recent change/option.

If the slide is steel, that would eliminate the slide stop issue, but I've not seen or handled any of the recent models.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:41:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tangeant] [#37]
$800 for the X esse expert/ sport is a smoking good deal, I got one (expert) a few weeks ago from Buds for $1k.

They are being discontinued because Walther came out with new CSP model which will most likely retail $1500-1800.

Verygood shooting gun I really like the trigger... will keep mine in reserve for now as I have been shooting my Pardini lately indoors/ postal and will shoot my HS Victor outdoors.

You don't need match ammo, most of us just shoot CCI SV or Aguilla SE.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:16:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By tangeant:
$800 for the X esse sport is a smoking good deal, I got one a few weeks ago from Buds for $1k.

They are being discontinued because Walther came out with new CSP model which will most likely retail $1500-1800.

Verygood shooting gun I really like the trigger... will keep mine in reserve for now as I have been shooting my Pardini lately indoors/ postal and will shoot my HS Victor outdoors.

You don't need match ammo, most of us just shoot CCI SV or Aguilla SE.
View Quote

I used to shoot 10-meter air pistol postal matches in the basement at the old house. I could do it here, too, but I (stupidly) sold the gun years ago.

The most expensive match-grade pellets are really cheap compared to match-grade .22.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:52:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Darrellbear] [#39]
View Quote

That's exactly what it is.  I have a Sig Hammerli Trailside, as it was called in the US, Hammerli Xesse elsewhere.  A guy up in Maine used to sell them, Larry's Guns???  He passed away some years ago, don't know who, if anyone, handles them now.  Mine's been a great .22lr.

ETA: sorry, jumped too soon.  Yeah, it was Larry's Guns.  I guess mine was the base version, plastic grip.  IIRC I paid $400 for mine a long time ago.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:27:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:

https://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/d/d4/Ponr-ham2.jpg/1200px-Ponr-ham2.jpg

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-zq24lsaryh/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/39193/210686/Z54837B__97925.1673388212.jpg
View Quote

The fucking commie state of Washington classifies that as an “assault weapon” and it’s banned here.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:29:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Nah, I think I will keep my Haemmerli 215. More than happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:06:14 AM EDT
[#42]
My gun club has a few as loaners. Very accurate and quite reliable.

If the price is good, FO.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Yep.  Sig Trailside = Hammerli X-esse sport.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Were we separated at birth?

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:25:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the heads up.  I've seen these and been interested.  Went ahead and ordered one and some extra magazines.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:29:13 AM EDT
[#46]
I should get out my Trailside and put a newer dot on it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:31:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WeimaranerDad] [#47]
Me?  Personally?

I have been jones’ing for a Beretta 87T for about 15 years now:

Attachment Attached File

EDIT:  dayumn!  Those grips ^^^ look cheap!

These grips look better:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:
Me?  Personally?

I have been jones’ing for a Beretta 87T for about 15 years now:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/42CBD62C-54E7-4D65-9886-7BF09B7CE9EA_jpe-3179613.JPG

EDIT:  dayumn!  Those grips ^^^ look cheap!

These grips look better:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/B765138F-6E5E-4668-8059-A18906C6775C_jpe-3179614.JPG
View Quote

I bought one when the crowns were bored at an angle and the trigger had a lot of creep.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#49]
With Larry gone is there recommended guy to work on these? I have a trailside that's been down with trigger issues for years
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#50]
I have the trailside "Camper" model with a shorter barrel.

Great shooter. I think I paid somewhere around $400 for it ages ago.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top