Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2024 10:21:30 PM EDT
So I was working for the county sherif dept as a C.O. and started going to the police academy. After about a month I realized I couldn't do both full time any more and needed a change. I put in a request to go part time and explained everything, they didn't have any open as they just filled em when I requested it. So I got to talking with my Sgt about my options to see if maybe we could work out a new schedule to help me out, explained that I don't want to 2 weeks in because I loved my job but I'm not sure what I'm gonna be able to do if something can't be changed. We'll about an hour goes by and she tells me my resignation was accepted and effective immediately, to turn in my uniforms and equipment by 5pm the next day and that they were giving me 2 disciplinaries. I never turned in a resignation at all. Well I get a letter in the mail and noticed it said I was terminated/fired. So unless I'm misunderstand this paper I got, they fired me on their end after telling me they accepted my resignation that I never turned in?

Idk what to do now. Some of my friends there are telling me to get a lawyer cuz they fucked me out of getting into another department.

I NEVER got in any trouble while I was there. I was always getting more done than I had to, was never late, called out 2 times in 2 years and had doctors notes, came in if they needed someone on my days off. I don't understand what the hell I did to piss them off or what I should do.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Lawyer up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Don’t know Texas, but if it’s like Virginia, you can’t get another LE job if fired from one. So yeah, lawyer up. I might start by calling HR to make sure it wasn’t a typo or anything.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:37:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Polycop] [#3]
My department would 100% go to your agency and ask to see your file as part of the background.  You would sign off on it as part of the application process.  Sooooo, if it's there the new department will see it.  Fired or resigned, you aren't there anymore.  

Edit to add.
Just explain it how you did in your interview / background and it probably won't hurt you as 99% of all departments nationwide are hurting for officers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#5]
What were the disciplinary issues?

*27 years SO. Seen a lot of people come and go for various reasons in the jail. Something's missing here.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:05:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Surely you belong to the FOP or equivalent at your agency right? What does your rep say?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]
If the story is as you say it was, then immediately:

1. Check with the department's HR/admin to make sure what was said in the letter you received wasn't a mistake.

2. If its correct, ask for a copy of any and all disciplinary paperwork, file a FOIA request if they refuse to give it to you.

3. get a lawyer, and fight it.

4. Document any and all conversations/phone calls/letters/emails (to include method of communication, date/time, duration, who was present, what was discussed) you receive from anyone employed by, or associated with the department going forward. Keep it all in a file. If you are in a one party state, record any conversations. Any electronic communications like email, print out a hard copy to be safe...

If you were fired, and worse yet, fired for/with pending disciplinary actions against you, then you have a slim chance of ever getting another job in LE. Fight it now, or decide you never want to work in LE again, and move on to a new career.

The liability a department takes on when hiring someone they know has had "issues" in the past, is too great for most to accept. Even with the shortage of cops these days, a department 99.9% of the time, will pass on a candidate if they know they are a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:48:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThatGuy91K] [#8]
You do have either TMPA or CLEAT, right?

That is who you should be asking.

Originally Posted By Hydro_BxR:
So I was working for the county sherif dept as a C.O. and started going to the police academy. After about a month I realized I couldn't do both full time any more and needed a change. I put in a request to go part time and explained everything, they didn't have any open as they just filled em when I requested it. So I got to talking with my Sgt about my options to see if maybe we could work out a new schedule to help me out, explained that I don't want to 2 weeks in because I loved my job but I'm not sure what I'm gonna be able to do if something can't be changed. We'll about an hour goes by and she tells me my resignation was accepted and effective immediately, to turn in my uniforms and equipment by 5pm the next day and that they were giving me 2 disciplinaries. I never turned in a resignation at all. Well I get a letter in the mail and noticed it said I was terminated/fired. So unless I'm misunderstand this paper I got, they fired me on their end after telling me they accepted my resignation that I never turned in?

Idk what to do now. Some of my friends there are telling me to get a lawyer cuz they fucked me out of getting into another department.

I NEVER got in any trouble while I was there. I was always getting more done than I had to, was never late, called out 2 times in 2 years and had doctors notes, came in if they needed someone on my days off. I don't understand what the hell I did to piss them off or what I should do.
View Quote

You worked at a Sheriff's Office. Say it with me - "Civil Service". Keep those two words in your mind when considering your next department once you get through the academy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:22:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Was the form you got a TCOLE F5?  

TCOLE F5 FAQs for appealing a negative one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top