Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 4/25/2024 8:59:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie]
We finally found someone who said she understood working from home was not an option. We even had her sign something that she agreed WFH was not an option. Had the required experience and knew her stuff. Her references had nothing but praise. This job is an entry writer for customs clearances. Hard 8-5 hours in the office.

She lasted two days. First day, all she needed was training on our software and getting up to speed on particular customers. She did really well. At 3 pm, she hands me her files and said she had to get her kids from school. Unusual on first day, but maybe there was an emergency. I asked her the next morning if everything was OK, and she said yes.

Same thing day two at 3pm. Gives me files and says she has to get her kids from school. I told her we would have to talk in the morning.

That meeting the third morning was an eye opener. There were no emergencies requiring her to get kids from school. It was regular pickup. She expected to work 6 hours and get paid for 8, complete with benefits. I told her we were more than happy to keep her on part-time, but that meant no benefits. She refused, saying she needed the money and the benefits.

She was let go right then. Accounting cut her a check for the two days work and buh bye!

Nearly every office job I have ever had after college, I have gotten work dumped on me by coworkers with kids. They were always given permission to leave early, come in late, take off in the middle of the day - anything that involved the kids, or so they said, and NEVER had to make the time off. While if I took off a few hours for a doctor appointment, I had to work late/through my lunch if I didn’t want to lose vacation time.

First time I’ve ever had control over the parent dumping work on me and you’re damned right I wasn’t going to let her get away with it. You’re paid for 8 hours of work and if you can’t do it, buh bye.

EDIT: she handed me files she couldn’t finish because she was leaving early. The job is salaried.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I know a guy a like that.  Perpetually late and out the door early to get the kids.  And his wife is a stay at home mom.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#2]
She wasn't honest. Good firing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#3]
You about to get sued.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Was her work for the day completed when she handed you the files?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Underscore_O_Three:
You about to get sued.
View Quote

White woman who couldn’t fulfill job responsibilities? Highly doubt it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#6]
was she hourly?

the way you describe it, it sounds like she handed in 8 hours of work that she finished in 6
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Well done!  Her kids aren't your problem, she either makes arrangements or she doesn't get the job, sounds like she made her choice.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
View Quote

Nope. The files she handed me were ones she couldn’t do because she was leaving early. She would have gotten them done if she didn’t leave at 3.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
was she hourly?

the way you describe it, it sounds like she handed in 8 hours of work that she finished in 6
View Quote

Nope. Salaried.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

That wasn't the issue, she gets paid for 8 hours and even of she finishes in 6 she still is required to fulfil her 8 hours.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#11]
That is more common that what you might think. Where I work regular schedule adjustments for parents get granted as well as remote work permissions due to children is common and the flexibility in the workplace is denied for those that don't. Same goes for child tax credits. Those with Kids get a break while those of us without dependents get soaked. It has always been that way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Need to increase the salary range to attract higher quality candidates
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 73RR:

That wasn't the issue, she gets paid for 8 hours and even of she finishes in 6 she still is required to fulfil her 8 hours.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

She hadn’t finished her work for the day since she as leaving early.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#14]
We hired a woman that knew it wasnt a work from home job.

Job paid 180,000 a year

She lived over an hour away and thought once she got in she could say she needed work from home and it would be granted.

She lost her job
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
is that how salaried works? if she stayed 10 hours then her pay would go up?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Good firing for multiple reasons... Couldn't even be honest/truthful up front with you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:12:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pale_pony] [#17]
Originally Posted By Marie:
We finally found someone who said she understood working from home was not an option. We even had her sign something that she agreed WFH was not an option. Had the required experience and knew her stuff. Her references had nothing but praise. This job is an entry writer for customs clearances. Hard 8-5 hours in the office.

She lasted two days. First day, all she needed was training on our software and getting up to speed on particular customers. She did really well. At 3 pm, she hands me her files and said she had to get her kids from school. Unusual on first day, but maybe there was an emergency. I asked her the next morning if everything was OK, and she said yes.

Same thing day two at 3pm. Gives me files and says she has to get her kids from school. I told her we would have to talk in the morning.

That meeting the third morning was an eye opener. There were no emergencies requiring her to get kids from school. It was regular pickup. She expected to work 6 hours and get paid for 8, complete with benefits. I told her we were more than happy to keep her on part-time, but that meant no benefits. She refused, saying she needed the money and the benefits.

She was let go right then. Accounting cut her a check for the two days work and buh bye!

Nearly every office job I have ever had after college, I have gotten work dumped on me by coworkers with kids. They were always given permission to leave early, come in late, take off in the middle of the day - anything that involved the kids, or so they said, and NEVER had to make the time off. While if I took off a few hours for a doctor appointment, I had to work late/through my lunch if I didn’t want to lose vacation time.

First time I’ve ever had control over the parent dumping work on me and you’re damned right I wasn’t going to let her get away with it. You’re paid for 8 hours of work and if you can’t do it, buh bye.
View Quote
LOL

I fucked up and took a new job that was a big promotion to a department head right after I got out of college

I worked for a family owned (read: Nepotistic) company called Property Company of America owned by a family named Hinch. I was made "Assistant Comptroller" with an entire department of 18 accountants answering to me

18...ALL FEMALE...accounting department

Every. Damn. Day. it was something else

Project needs everyone to work late? NOT ME, gotta pick up my kids from school. Soccer practice. Can't work this weekend, it's my weekend with the kids (well, last weekend was 'your weekend with the kids' too

Need all those hours off? sounds like you need a part-time job instead "OH NO, GOTTA HAS THOSE BENNIES...MY EX IS A PIECE OF SHIT AND CAN'T KEEP A JOB WITH HEALTH INSURANCE BECAUSE HE'S A DRUNK CARPENTER/MECHANIC/WELDER/WHATEVER"

NEVER AGAIN!

When they offered me another promotion to move to Houston, I said no...so I got fired and everyone else moved to Houston

AND guess what? 6-months later everyone the company moved to Houston with them got laid off and the company was washed through bankruptcy...and stuck...JOBLESS, in Houston for God's sake...WITH NO JOBS

Dear Grant, ever wonder how you nearly went to federal pound-you-in-the-ass prison for the elephant's tusks you arrogantly and illegally kept displayed in your office?

WASNT ME...it was one of the knee jerk leftist earth mom's in my group, but I know who did

ETA: Synchronistic Cycles is a very real thing
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:12:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CanaryCamaro] [#18]
Threads like this make me appreciate my WFH job with management that understands a work life balance. I’m a father to two young girls and have commitments where I have to leave early twice a week to do things with them. I make up my time and then some each week.

Edited to add good firing. Sounds like she didn’t clearly communicate the need to leave early every damn day.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Yup just announce you are leaving early, two days in a row, without approval or non-emergency, is pretty fucking bold, especially when she knew the hours expected.  I can't imagine just casually walking out.

Sounds like she does this routinely and just milks benefits for a little while before her game is up.  I wonder what would happen if she did it again today, but instead of letting her leave, you said you had more files for her.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#20]
You sound like a joy to work alongside and be around. Not even taking that woman’s side, but don't you make weekly threads bitching about co-workers?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, she should have arranged childcare if child pickup wasn’t part of the employment agreement.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#22]
If the job is 8am-5pm she stays till 5pm.  Period.  Even if she has to surf ARFCOM for the last 87 minutes.  And doubly so if she still has work to complete.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Did her resume have a history of short tenure at prior jobs?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#24]
There are a lot of companies that can allow shift shifting for needs like hers but that would mean she had to get up a couple hours earlier. I'm guessing she neither asked or revealed.
I don't know of a school system that doesn't have after school care that wouldn't work for what you described; ours even runs busses for the after school kids.

Good firing, two days of frustration is a small price vs it dragging on longer. People like that will always burden their coworkers.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:16:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Boom_Stick] [#25]
She shouldve made that clear upfront, so yeah, her fault.

However, unless she had no way of retrieving her kids (family, husband, friend) AND she came back to work afterwards....we should be supporting families.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Now you have all her work to do.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#27]
You about to get sued.
View Quote

The job requirements were clearly delineated to be from 8:00 to 5:00 pm as a condition of employment.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

What bullshit is that? So if someone finished the job early they just stand around the office and twirl thumbs until 5? If you get done you are done.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#29]
You about to get sued.
View Quote

LOL WTF?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By H1Mech:
You sound like a joy to work alongside and be around. Not even taking that woman’s side, but don't you make weekly threads bitching about co-workers?
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By pale_pony:
LOL

I fucked up and took a new job that was a big promotion to a department head right after I got out of college

I worked for a family owned (read: Nepotistic) company called Property Company of America owned by a family named Hinch. I was made "Assistant Comptroller" with an entire department of 18 accountants answering to me

18...ALL FEMALE...accounting department

Every. Damn. Day. it was something else

Project needs everyone to work late? NOT ME, gotta pick up my kids from school. Soccer practice. Can't work this weekend, it's my weekend with the kids (well, last weekend was 'your weekend with the kids' too

Need all those hours off? sounds like you need a part-time job instead "OH NO, GOTTA HAS THOSE BENNIES...MY EX IS A PIECE OF SHIT AND CAN'T KEEP A JOB WITH HEALTH INSURANCE BECAUSE HE'S A DRUNK CARPENTER/MECHANIC/WELDER/WHATEVER"

NEVER AGAIN!

When they offered me another promotion to move to Houston, I said no...so I got fired and everyone else moved to Houston

AND guess what? 6-months later everyone the company moved to Houston with them got laid off and the company was washed through bankruptcy...and stuck...JOBLESS, in Houston for God's sake...WITH NO JOBS

Dear Grant, ever wonder how you nearly went to federal pound-you-in-the-ass prison for the elephant's tusks you arrogantly and illegally kept displayed in your office?

WASNT ME...it was one of the knee jerk leftist earth mom's in my group, but I know who did

ETA: Synchronistic Cycles is a very real thing
View Quote

Women don’t work overtime. It is a fact of life.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Why isn't WFH an option?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#33]
It's a woman.

Special victim status.

White male employer?

I'm telling you - she doesn't need to have standing.  She will sue.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Good firing from your perspective, I definitely would let someone go for not being up front with me.  I also absolutely understand her side and would/do leave work early to get my kid.  I would tell management to pound sand if they told me anything about it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#35]
It's a woman.

Special victim status.

White male employer?

I'm telling you - she doesn't need to have standing.  She will sue.
View Quote

this IS clown world we're living in now...I'll allow it
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By mojeb21:

What bullshit is that? So if someone finished the job early they just stand around the office and twirl thumbs until 5? If you get done you are done.
View Quote

It's just micromanager BS.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CanaryCamaro:
Threads like this make me appreciate my WFH job with management that understands a work life balance. I’m a father to two young girls and have commitments where I have to leave early twice a week to do things with them. I make up my time and then some each week.

Edited to add good firing. Sounds like she didn’t clearly communicate the need to leave early every damn day.
View Quote

Same same!

I am glad I have a WFW (work from wherever)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Dacula:
Why isn't WFH an option?
View Quote

Owners don’t like it. I only have the capability because I have to clear shipments on weekends and evenings.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:27:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Miles_Urbanus] [#39]
I recall you’ve posted about having trouble filling this position and it requires specialized skills. If it’s a salaried position and she is otherwise qualified and can do the work I’d try to arrange flextime. Can she come in early or work weekends? Prehaps a moot point since she is gone but I’d be inclined to try to retain workers if it takes a long time to find someone to hire.

Do the hard 8-5 hrs in the office have to be M-F?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Day two? lol,
I’d have said “So you’re quitting your employment here?”   It’s what I would have heard in the eighties trying to get up and leave with out a bonafide emergency or sickness.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By nophun:
There are a lot of companies that can allow shift shifting for needs like hers but that would mean she had to get up a couple hours earlier. I'm guessing she neither asked or revealed.
I don't know of a school system that doesn't have after school care that wouldn't work for what you described; ours even runs busses for the after school kids.

Good firing, two days of frustration is a small price vs it dragging on longer. People like that will always burden their coworkers.
View Quote

Office is open 7:30-5:30/6ish. They will literally kick you out if you’re still there when office manager wants to go home. No one has keys except the two owners and office manager. Flexing your hours is not possible. If I want to keep working on something, I take my files home. I can WFH on evenings/weekends because of stupid hot air freight shipments.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:29:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stryfe] [#42]

View All Quotes

Agree, you don't want to allow her to establish a pattern. The first few days in a new job can be slow. But if you don't set the expectation early, then down the road you'll have problems.
Marie told her work let's out at 5, and she agreed. It's on the employee to hold up their end of the bargain.

And, FTR, I let people go early when their work is done, and I never expect them to work over 8. But by the same token I expect an honest effort for those 8. And I appreciate when they make the extra effort.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:
I recall you’ve posted about having trouble filling this position and it requires specialized skills. If it’s a salaried position and she is otherwise qualified and can do the work I’d try to arrange flextime. Can she come in early or work weekends? Prehaps a moot point since she is gone but I’d be inclined to try to retain workers if it takes a long time to find someone to hire.

View Quote

See post I just did a few below yours. All of that not possible.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By smarcus:
If the job is 8am-5pm she stays till 5pm.  Period.  Even if she has to surf ARFCOM for the last 87 minutes.  And doubly so if she still has work to complete.
View Quote

That's real retarded sir.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Palm:

Women don’t work overtime. It is a fact of life.
View Quote

I’m a GenX woman and I work my ass off. I’m also single and no kids.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:31:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#46]
If they keep running in to this same issue you probably should look at a work the am in the office and wfh a couple hours.  That way the files go and come back every day.  No days that are fully work from home.

Think outside the box or have no one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Someone is jealous.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:32:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#48]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
If they keep running in to this same issue you probably should look at a work the am in the office and wfh a couple hours.  That way the files go and come back every day.  No days that are fully work from home.

Think outside the box of have no one.
View Quote

WFH is not an option. Period. Even the other regular, good employees don’t have it.

Employer is pretty old school. It is what it is. If you don’t like it, you can go elsewhere. This gal lied to us. No mention of needing to get the kids from school in any of the two in-person interviews or first phone screen.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:

Is this the entire industry that requires work be done from an office or is it unique to your company? Why does work need to be done from the office?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#50]

WFH is not an option. Period. Even the other regular, good employees don’t have it.
View Quote

Then you get what you have obviously.   Isn’t this the second or third post about your office trying to fill this position?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top